#PACtion™ 2024

Thanks for the props. The credit goes to the Tiger players, coaches and the best fanbase in the USA.
In regards to the signs at the corp. limits, the City of Massillon erected them and they can be altered. The signs were fabricated that would allow changes.
I'm really truly not trying to pick on Massillon, I love the town and made the trek a few times to watch the tigers including this year against Valdosta.

With that said, no government anywhere has ever had foresight, this is the 1st time I've heard of government using it. This is great the 1st time a government used foresight, is to change the number of State Championships won on the welcome to town signs.

I love it.

Glenville routes Alter in the championship. One could argue that Canton South was the third best D4 team in the state behind the Tarblooders and Sandusky Perkins, whom the Ville beat by 10 in Week 14.

Still a heck of a year for the Wildcats. Congrats again.

All-State teams should be announced early next week and no doubt more accolades are coming to PACtion™ communities near you.

Special tribute to Tuslaw's neighbor, the Massillon Tigers, who completed a perfect 16-0 season last night to win their first football state championship, 7-2, over perennial power and private school, Archbishop Hoban.

Another special tribute to the lone private school of the PAC-7, CVCA, who will be sailing off into the sunset of the PAC-7 ocean soon. But please, you don't have leave #PACtion!

cast wilson GIF
Appreciate it boss!!

Glenville routes Alter in the championship. One could argue that Canton South was the third best D4 team in the state behind the Tarblooders and Sandusky Perkins, whom the Ville beat by 10 in Week 14.

All-State teams should be announced early next week and no doubt more accolades are coming to PACtion™ communities near you.
Really impressive how much Canton South developed over the season. They really figured it out once the playoffs started

PACtion™ 2024 is gonna be lit as we all know @Youngguy and @Stizostedion are bringing the Manchester Panthers back to past glory.

---

Because I am a glutton for punishment, and I like to sometimes watch or listen to disasters, I put The Really Big Show on my car radio Friday morning last week (the morning right after Thursday night's D2 state title game).

Erin Goldenbooger and Hollie Rizzo were discussing the (then) upcoming Glenville vs Kettering Alter state title game. Of course right off the bat Goldenbooger didn't know where Kettering, Ohio, is....so he looked it up live on the radio. When he discovered Kettering is in Montgomery County he blurts out "Montgomery County; they're in Cincinnati" and Rizzo goes right along with it.

Anyone with a modicum of Ohio geographic knowledge knows Montgomery County is Dayton, not Cincinnati.

That's like saying Hoban or St. V's is in Cleveland.

850 WKNR is just stupefying ignorance.

1701704279218.png
1701704305034.png

#FAIL

Having watched the CS-Glenville game it took about 4 plays from Alter (2 drives worth with a fumble on play #1 then a 3 & out) for our group to all start reflecting on how much fun it would have been to watch Poochie play in that Saturday night game.

Considering how Alter demolished Steubenville not sure anyone could really argue with the assertion that CS was a top 3 team at the end of the year. Well done, Wildcats!

Here is a youtube short of the Nebraska High School Football Championship....look at the crowd. I do not know what division this is...but also have attached what one of their brackets look like....read the top part about distance and such

The winning team was Gretna...not sure what year it is....Gretna got beat early this year

Attachments

• nebraska.pdf
    827.1 KB · Views: 49
Here is a youtube short of the Nebraska High School Football Championship....look at the crowd. I do not know what division this is...but also have attached what one of their brackets look like....read the top part about distance and such

Goosebumps. This is exactly why OHSAA should realign the finals schedule. It's not just that the attendance isn't great, there is NO atmosphere. Aside from when Massillon makes the final, D5-7 crowds are ALWAYS the most lively. But they always play 2 of those games at 1030am. Those small communities BRING IT!

The winning team was Gretna...not sure what year it is....Gretna got beat early this year
And then the winning Gretna team in Nebraska received free Runza for life:

1701713620155.png

Goosebumps. This is exactly why OHSAA should realign the finals schedule. It's not just that the attendance isn't great, there is NO atmosphere. Aside from when Massillon makes the final, D5-7 crowds are ALWAYS the most lively. But they always play 2 of those games at 1030am. Those small communities BRING IT!
What about playing the games at different stadiums? I know playing at places like the Hall of Fame or the Horseshoe are cool but you could have 2-3 different sites and play only on Friday and Saturday nights. Even if it didn't drastically change attendance numbers it would be nice to actually have some sort of atmosphere at these games

I'm painting with a broad brush but small school football is still our town vs your town. A great amount of the students are 2nd/ 3rd generation at the school. That certainly incentives the community to come support it vs a new/growing area which most residents have not built an afinity for, urban areas where people jump from neighborhood to neighborhood, or Catholic school (I am a Catholic school grad in Pittsburgh) which has no neighborhood behind it, just alums and parents. So even though it is smaller school in the D4-D7 range, they actually have more fans than the bigger schools.

Obviously, Massillon is an exception.

I'm painting with a broad brush but small school football is still our town vs your town. A great amount of the students are 2nd/ 3rd generation at the school. That certainly incentives the community to come support it vs a new/growing area which most residents have not built an afinity for, urban areas where people jump from neighborhood to neighborhood, or Catholic school (I am a Catholic school grad in Pittsburgh) which has no neighborhood behind it, just alums and parents. So even though it is smaller school in the D4-D7 range, they actually have more fans than the bigger schools.

Mike, I'd add that Steubenville in Ohio Division 4, has a "lively" and strong fanbase not far from you in Western PA.

And my GF drags me there every now and then to see her old college sorority sister friend. Weekends in Steubenville. That's really hot. 🙄🙄

The Italian food scene is strong there, however, so that's a plus.

Mike, I'd add that Steubenville in Ohio Division 4, has a "lively" and strong fanbase not far from you in Western PA.

And my GF drags me there every now and then to see her old college sorority sister friend. Weekends in Steubenville. That's really hot. 🙄🙄

The Italian food scene is strong there, however, so that's a plus.
I've been to Steubenville and agree. They are exactly what I am talking about. It has been years since they have been in D2. that area is not growing. I would also give a shout out to Warren G Harding, it was great when I went to a game there. It's been about 10 years since I was last there, but they had great community support too, not sure now. I catch 1-3 Ohio games a year (always week 1 since you start a week before PA, might catch some PACtion this year) as I mostly stay in the WPIAL. From what I see in both states, again painting with a broad brush, but it is the "older schools" and most of them are now smaller, that have the bigger more passionate fan bases. In Ohio think Massillon, WGH still has size to it, but the others Steubenville, Bellaire, Martins Ferry, Shadyside, Dover, New Philadelphia are a few of the places I have been too that speak directly to what I am talking about.

Absolutely. Us vs Them is what high school football is all about. I know the OHSAA has to set the times early, but it would be fairly simply to do to massage which divisions have more privates than others. Not to discriminate, but at this point it is what it is. They should be striving to recreate the atmosphere of the Ampipe v Walnut Hills game from '83 (PA reference for our PA guest 🤣 ).

Friday nights D1 (Eds vs Springfield) was a MUCH closer game than folks thought and there was excitement (those big Catholic schools do know how to do a student section). But if you put the noise meter up, it still MIGHT have been as loud at D5 & first half of D7. D6 would have been more raucous but they were stuck playing in rainstorm.

Last edited:
What about playing the games at different stadiums? I know playing at places like the Hall of Fame or the Horseshoe are cool but you could have 2-3 different sites and play only on Friday and Saturday nights. Even if it didn't drastically change attendance numbers it would be nice to actually have some sort of atmosphere at these games
I'm torn on this. I do think if you had sites willing to host around the state it would make for a better environment. Thinking D5 Perry v Liberty Center at Arlin field would have been an AWESOME experience.

That said, splitting the games up could take some of the luster off "getting to state". You'd simply be getting to a game.

Honestly, not to be THAT guy, but using the old rotation (Massillon-Canton) with the new TBHOF stadium would unbelievable. The old rotation was great, but Fawcett was trash. TBHOF is a great facility (and seems to improve each year we go) and PBTS has an atmosphere sitting empty on a rainy April morning, let alone on the last week of the season.

I'm torn on this. I do think if you had sites willing to host around the state it would make for a better environment. Thinking D5 Perry v Liberty Center at Arlin field would have been an AWESOME experience.

That said, splitting the games up could take some of the luster off "getting to state". You'd simply be getting to a game.

Honestly, not to be THAT guy, but using the old rotation (Massillon-Canton) with the new TBHOF stadium would unbelievable. The old rotation was great, but Fawcett was trash. TBHOF is a great facility (and seems to improve each year we go) and PBTS has an atmosphere sitting empty on a rainy April morning, let alone on the last week of the season.
I definitely agree Massillon PBTS should split some games with TBHOF.

Arlin Field would work.

Of course, there are few, if any, fields better than William E. Kurtz Stadium at The Slaw and groundskeeper willy's crabgrass. I'd want @Smoove Mooves working the Tuslaw concession stand with the Mini Van Moms of Kenyon Creek.

The one thing you are overlooking at different sites is TV....if you want the games on TV....they will not want to do the expense. Now they do show games from Semi-final sites but is a skeleton crew. If they are at one site...the expense drops. I was a big fan of going to Fawcett and then Paul Brown and back to Fawcett..$7.00 bucks a game....the one thing that we really don't have info but the Chamber is heavily involved with getting the games to Canton...

We all have ideas on what should be done....if it was profitable and or a moneymaker the OHSAA would do it...I have to believe they have discussed the changes...if it would make money I am thinking they would do it

Last edited:
The one thing you are overlooking at different sites is TV....if you want the games on TV....they will not want to do the expense. Now they do show games from Semi-final sites but is a skeleton crew. If they are at one site...the expense drops. I was a big fan of going to Fawcett and then Paul Brown and back to Fawcett..$7.00 bucks a game....the one thing that we really don't have info but the Chamber is heavily involved with getting the games to Canton...

We all have ideas on what should be done....if it was profitable and or a moneymaker the OHSAA would do it...I have to believe they have discussed the changes...if it would make money I am thinking they would do it
Based on the broadcasts I watch on Spectrum money clearly IS a problem for them! Plus they constantly send me mailers asking for MY money. I mean when you're coming to ME for money, that's like asking a third world country for foreign aid. My bank branch has half a limb. The thrift stores know me by my first name. I answer the phone by saying "are you a bill collector?"

I'll be here all night! Try the veal!

I definitely agree Massillon PBTS should split some games with TBHOF.

Arlin Field would work.

Of course, there are few, if any, fields better than William E. Kurtz Stadium at The Slaw and groundskeeper willy's crabgrass. I'd want @Smoove Mooves working the Tuslaw concession stand with the Mini Van Moms of Kenyon Creek.
Kotite,
WORD UUUPPPppp!!!! Smoove would welcome the opportunity to work on the Mini-Van Moms of Kenyon Creek at the Slaw Concessionation Stand, and Smoove would make the time memorablistic for all those Mini-Van Moms!! Smoove Guaranteeinates a FINE time for all!!! Appreciate you thinkin' of Smoove.......Smoove never lets down, y'all! Rich, Do you have a boat Smoove might be able to utilize next summer? On another thread, Cabe mentionated that he used to was had a Sea Ray and Smoove wanted to borrow it. Can you help a brother like Smoove out?

Based on the broadcasts I watch on Spectrum money clearly IS a problem for them! Plus they constantly send me mailers asking for MY money. I mean when you're coming to ME for money, that's like asking a third world country for foreign aid. My bank branch has half a limb. The thrift stores know me by my first name. I answer the phone by saying "are you a bill collector?"

I'll be here all night! Try the veal!
What is your address? I have mailers designed just for you to send me money for beer!

Did you say the winning team got the Runzs?
Not runz....I get that from the play calling of Bengals HC Zac "Opie" Taylor this season.

And that coach really hates "runz" only calling 8 running plays vs Pittsburgh last week with a backup QB vs an above average defense on a crummy rainy day in Cincinnata.

RUNZA sandwiches look amazing but I'm not sure they'd work in Ohio or our newly acquired territory, Western PA.

The good thing is, I guess, is that Coach Opie Taylor, offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and Joe Burrow's dad Jimmy Burrow are all Nebraska guys, so they probably could push for a RUNZA in Greater Cincinnati. Runza and Skyline Chili might be a culinary combo as explosive as Beirut or a school board meeting in Loudoun County, VA.

Last edited: