PAC 2023

Orville has a state title this decade, Manchester played 13 games in 2018 and 2019. Northwest was 3 points away from likely playing in a state title game 2 years ago, Fairless has been a back to back conference champion after decades of mediocrity, and the conference JUST added Canton South who is a state title dark horse. The idea that the PAC teams don't want competition is laughable, they main core of 4 (Triway, Manchester, Fairless, Tuslaw) all decided to add in Northwest years ago when they had no real reason to do so, the same with Orrville who everyone was aware was set up to be extremely good, they added Canton South right at the height of the program. Let's not act like moving away from a school that has a single PAC 7 title in 20+ years and is just barely above .500 all time in conference play is something that is going to doom the future of the conference. It's as simple as them being private and everyone else being public. The new conference situation makes so much more sense for a growing D3 private school than staying in the conference with schools that will be lucky to have more than 100 kids in a class in a few years
This is a very football-centric view though, a lot more to consider when adding teams than just football. Canton South was near the bottom in the allsports standings....based on that, I'd have to think the majority of the league is ok having South in the league, just like I believe the vast majority of the league is ok having CVCA out.....

Not trying to " stir the pot" but was Mogadore's application to the PAC rejected due to lack of a soccer program? They have done well in other sports. We all know of the success of the football program but their other programs have been successful as well. Was it this, size or distance?

Not trying to " stir the pot" but was Mogadore's application to the PAC rejected due to lack of a soccer program? They have done well in other sports. We all know of the success of the football program but their other programs have been successful as well. Was it this, size or distance?
Previously I figured Moggy was rejected simply based on size & location. Can’t imagine the south & western teams wanted to make another trip to Summit Co.

With CVCA’s eventual departure maybe some minds will change. But there’s also the Tuslaw factor. Likely they wouldn’t be excited about canceling Dalton only to get Moggy as a league game. 😂

Previously I figured Moggy was rejected simply based on size & location. Can’t imagine the south & western teams wanted to make another trip to Summit Co.

With CVCA’s eventual departure maybe some minds will change. But there’s also the Tuslaw factor. Likely they wouldn’t be excited about canceling Dalton only to get Moggy as a league game. 😂
All I know is back in the day at The Slaw we enjoyed reading the Akron Beacon Journal sports section in the school library and seeing the numerous ads for The Nest in Norton.

Not to be outdone, Fairless' Brody Pumneo takes the state title in the boys D2 800m run! PACtion products getting it done on the track.
I was there and watched it live sitting next to the fairless faithful. He went out, got the lead from the start and ran away with it. Very impressive.

All I know is back in the day at The Slaw we enjoyed reading the Akron Beacon Journal sports section in the school library and seeing the numerous ads for The Nest in Norton.
You have the most off the wall memory....lol... I had totally scrubbed the one time I went there from my mind...and then you went and brought it back to the forefront...lol..let me just say your version of what you thought was way better then what you saw...lol

You have the most off the wall memory....lol... I had totally scrubbed the one time I went there from my mind...and then you went and brought it back to the forefront...lol..let me just say your version of what you thought was way better then what you saw...lol
Well....I figure the Norton Nest has as much chance of coming back as Mogadore ever does joining PACtion but Wildcat71 is a true K Street caliber DC lobbyist when it comes to bringing up Mogadore joining the PAC.

I see them as another schedule filler non-league candidate.

Last edited:
Well....I figure the Norton Nest has as much chance of coming back as Mogadore ever does joining PACtion but Wildcat71 is a true K Street caliber DC lobbyist when it comes to bringing up Mogadore joining the PAC.

I see them as another schedule filler non-league candidate.
Long history with Manchester back to old Summit and Suburban County League days.

I think from a PACtion situation is when opportunity knocks and you are not home....opportunity waits for you
I think from a PACtion situation is when opportunity knocks and you are not home....opportunity waits for you..lol

I think from a PACtion situation is when opportunity knocks and you are not home....opportunity waits for you..lol
Expansion talk is fun for many of us. I broke down virtually all of the PACtion expansion candidates many posts ago by posting their enrollment numbers.

But I will never say I have more wisdom than some of the people here. When they break it down it makes sense to stay at 7 schools. Has that worked out for other leagues? I think so.

Some of these leagues are actually well constructed. The Metro is an ideal league for those teams....maybe Akron Springfield could be a candidate? Coventry? I think Manchester might be a little skeptical.

Look at the Fed. They're at 7. They seem to be fine. Sure they could talk to Stow but what's the advantage for Stow joining? Same with Wadsworth. Is it really worth it? Schools like Stow and Wadsworth have an Akron identity. Do they really want to be a Stark County heavily influenced school with their sports schedule? The Fed tried Austintown and Boardman. That didn't last....parents complained and while we can think it's all silly....the voice of a few Yappi posters who thought Fitch and Boardman were awesome for football were outnumbered.

We need to remember the parents and they don't often like Tuesday night trips 45 or 60 minutes away for volleyball or softball or track meets. The parents have a big voice. It's not all football.

Massillon in the Fed? I like the Tigers and always have. That's not a good fit for numerous reasons. Much of that discussion was pushed by sportswriters who are no longer employed by Gannett. There was definitely an attempt to sell papers and generate online "clicks."

Massillon already plays Glen Oak and, of course, McK. They've played Perry a lot and likely will again some day in the future. It might be ten years from now when they play again....but there's a chance.

Massillon doesn't need the Federal League.

Do schools REALLY need the PAC or is it better to do some non league games here or there?

(No hard feelings or bashing of anyone from my point of view.)

It's a ton of factors and politics in leagues. And no one has applied to the PAC's latest round of expansion.

If you're Triway do you really want another long drive? You might be willing to take a shot finding someone closer than CVCA in a non league situation.

Tuslaw, as R. Givens, Esquire, has pointed out, is looking to rebuild with some winnable games. They're not exactly seeking strong non league games. Tuslaw adding Conotton Valley and River View isn't because they're close by.... it's because they think they have a shot at winning in a non league game while still playing tuff neighboring schools like Northwest, Orrville, etc. I hate Tuslaw dropping Dalton, too, but if you're gonna drop Dalton you sure as heck don't want Mogadore coming to town.

Last edited:
I was there and watched it live sitting next to the fairless faithful. He went out, got the lead from the start and ran away with it. Very impressive.
He won, but what race were you watching? The guy who set the state record in D3 did exactly what you described in his race, just like he does every time he runs the 800. Pumneo, on the other hand, was trailing the NDCL guy from 400m all the way to 730m before outsprinting him to the line.

Last edited:
Expansion talk is fun for many of us. I broke down virtually all of the PACtion expansion candidates many posts ago by posting their enrollment numbers.

But I will never say I have more wisdom than some of the people here. When they break it down it makes sense to stay at 7 schools. Has that worked out for other leagues? I think so.

Some of these leagues are actually well constructed. The Metro is an ideal league for those teams....maybe Akron Springfield could be a candidate? Coventry? I think Manchester might be a little skeptical.

Look at the Fed. They're at 7. They seem to be fine. Sure they could talk to Stow but what's the advantage for Stow joining? Same with Wadsworth. Is it really worth it? Schools like Stow and Wadsworth have an Akron identity. Do they really want to be a Stark County heavily influenced school with their sports schedule? The Fed tried Austintown and Boardman. That didn't last....parents complained and while we can think it's all silly....the voice of a few Yappi posters who thought Fitch and Boardman were awesome for football were outnumbered.

We need to remember the parents and they don't often like Tuesday night trips 45 or 60 minutes away for volleyball or softball or track meets. The parents have a big voice. It's not all football.

Massillon in the Fed? I like the Tigers and always have. That's not a good fit for numerous reasons. Much of that discussion was pushed by sportswriters who are no longer employed by Gannett. There was definitely an attempt to sell papers and generate online "clicks."

Massillon already plays Glen Oak and, of course, McK. They've played Perry a lot and likely will again some day in the future. It might be ten years from now when they play again....but there's a chance.

Massillon doesn't need the Federal League.

Do schools REALLY need the PAC or is it better to do some non league games here or there?

(No hard feelings or bashing of anyone from my point of view.)

It's a ton of factors and politics in leagues. And no one has applied to the PAC's latest round of expansion.

If you're Triway do you really want another long drive? You might be willing to take a shot finding someone closer than CVCA in a non league situation.

Tuslaw, as R. Givens, Esquire, has pointed out, is looking to rebuild with some winnable games. They're not exactly seeking strong non league games. Tuslaw adding Conotton Valley and River View isn't because they're close by.... it's because they think they have a shot at winning in a non league game while still playing tuff neighboring schools like Northwest, Orrville, etc. I hate Tuslaw dropping Dalton, too, but if you're gonna drop Dalton you sure as heck don't want Mogadore coming to town.
Of all the things I thought were crazy was what Bruce Brown the former AD at Lake did...he had it arranged that Fitch, Boardman, Mckinley and Warren Harding to all join the league at the same time and Harding at the last minute said no....and screwed up his plans to have a somewhat balanced league. I thought he was crazy to invite those teams and get the other AD's to agree to it. Boardman if they were closer would still be in the league...they were a great fit. For a team to join the Fed if 2 league schools say no they aren't in...Lake and McKinley would not vote for Massillon..McKinley would not want to be last in a lot of sports with Massillon ahead of them. When the league was even teams the Mass/Mck game caused a problem for Lake ...Hoover plays Jackson, GlenOak plays Perry, McK plays Mass...Lake was always looking for a week 10 game....Green was invited to join and one of the things that helped was the short trips to play other sports during the week. At one time I thought Louisville would have been a great fit...but they are smaller then Alliance and Marlington now.

7 team leagues do work it is just what do you do if you have rivalry game week 10 in football....one team is always stuck. Does the PAC have those games..I assume they do but not know who they are with? Also is Tuslaw is going to play Warsaw River View?....that is a long ride. I find it totally amazing at times...that Lake became so much larger then the teams in the Senate League...and we are 100 boys smaller then 1991...

It’s been done before.

The 2015 version of #PACtion saw Indian Valley run roughshod over the entire six-team league. After dropping the season opener to Sandy Valley, the Braves reeled off nine straight, going a perfect 6-0 in the PAC.

They scored no fewer than 41 points in every PAC game and had an average margin of victory of 27 points per game in conference play.

That secured them a home playoff game as the 4 seed in Division IV, Region 13. The result? A playoff cameo in a 21-6 loss to Salem.

The conference is much different now. Northwest, Canton South and Orrville are three solid programs to go with PAC stalwarts Manchester, Fairless, Tuslaw and Triway.

It’s still two full years away, but I think the PAC will be more than OK.

7 team leagues do work it is just what do you do if you have rivalry game week 10 in football....one team is always stuck. Does the PAC have those games..I assume they do but not know who they are with?
Manchester is the school that will be left looking to replace the CVCA Week 10 rivalry. The two schools have met in week 10 every year since 2005.

Before that, Coventry was the season-ending opponent. And even further back it was East Canton.

Some of the Panthers regulars will have to chime in on rivalries from the last century.

Manchester is the school that will be left looking to replace the CVCA Week 10 rivalry. The two schools have met in week 10 every year since 2005.

Before that, Coventry was the season-ending opponent. And even further back it was East Canton.

Some of the Panthers regulars will have to chime in on rivalries from the last century.
With Manchester being the odd man out...is there any local schools that they could set themselves as a week 10 rivalry? I would seriously look at Lucas Cubs...its a road trip every other year...if Manchester would find that as an answer...you are a 7 team league and everybody is happy

With Manchester being the odd man out...is there any local schools that they could set themselves as a week 10 rivalry? I would seriously look at Lucas Cubs...its a road trip every other year...if Manchester would find that as an answer...you are a 7 team league and everybody is happy
Manchester vs Mogadore is a natural for a non-league matchup IMO.

There's too much bad blood ala "history" with Manchester and Coventry.

Akron Springfield is nearby and, I think, checks a lot of boxes for a game vs Manchester.

Norton is nearby and is similar to Springfield in terms of enrollment, close location, but much better team recently.

You're already seeing EBC schools sprinkle into PAC non-league schedules; Marlington and Carrollton are two examples playing Northwest and Manchester.

The IVC is two divisions with 6 league games for each division. There are ample non-league game opportunities with them; Fairless played 3 IVC teams last year, Tuslaw played Tusky Valley. There could be some non-league matches there.

River View is playing Tuslaw somewhere in weeks 2 or 3 without looking it up, FYI.

Is it for certain that Manchester would be the odd team out in week 10 after CVCA leaves? Any chance the league reshuffles the schedule to make Manchester and Northwest a week 10 matchup and then leave South as the odd team out?

Last edited:
When did they apply? Last I heard there were zero applications submitted.

Is it for certain that Manchester would be the odd team out in week 10 after CVCA leaves? Any chance the league reshuffles the schedule to make Manchester and Northwest a week 10 matchup and then leave South as the odd team out?
I think NW vs CS is a great PAC rivalry for years to come that should continue to be played week 10.

Not surprising given the group we've assembled here, but some fantastic commentary. While most on the outside (especially a particular fan of a green themed school on the outskirts of Akron named after a town in Africa) think the PAC "has" to fill that 8th spot, I also believe it could work extremely well for all parties to have that opening in football & across the other sports.

What makes the PAC great is how different each school is. Finding football games week 4 - 10 isn't always easy, but it would allow each school to have some more flexibility. Think how great if CS had a chance to get a Poochie led team a game vs a Cleveland area school? Or Manchester with Wright, or Orrville & Parks? Tuslaw & Fairless could scratch their Tusc area itch while Triway could look to Ashland county or Lucas.

And that doesn't even touch on the other great programs having more flexibility to either get wins or challenge themselves.

Part of what makes this league fun is that it seems like the schools all have different preferences. Leaving that 8th slot open allows everyone to scratch their own itches.

That said, would LOVE it if at least 3 or 4 kept playing CVCA. ; )

While most on the outside (especially a particular fan of a green themed school on the outskirts of Akron named after a town in Africa)
Good friend of mine was in the class of ‘97 there, worldly fellow. Never knew that’s where the town got its name — surprised that I’m learning it from you and Wiki confirmation.

tbh I always thought they just pulled the town’s name out someone’s rear end, because it’s a name that’s musty as hell

If South were to be the odd team out, I would speak with Central about making them week 10 opponent.
That's what I was hinting at. Before STA came to be, South probably was the closest thing Canton CC had to a true rival. Their competition with the various Canton City HSs was sporadic at best prior to the handful of years that the Hall of Fame Conference existed (and then Lehman and Lincoln closed). Comeptition against South was a constant. In fact, South is the 2nd most often played opponent in CCHS football history. That's pretty remarkable given they last played a real game 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Good friend of mine was in the class of ‘97 there, worldly fellow. Never knew that’s where the town got its name — surprised that I’m learning it from you and Wiki confirmation.

tbh I always thought they just pulled the town’s name out someone’s rear end, because it’s a name that’s musty as hell
"surprised that I'm learning it from you" . . . I'm taking that as a compliment (even if it wasn't meant to be) 🤣

What if all 7 kept playing them? And twice in other sports?
Well that would be fantastic, but I think the best we could hope for would be 5...
You know what I'm saying.gif

Not surprising given the group we've assembled here, but some fantastic commentary. While most on the outside (especially a particular fan of a green themed school on the outskirts of Akron named after a town in Africa) think the PAC "has" to fill that 8th spot, I also believe it could work extremely well for all parties to have that opening in football & across the other sports.

What makes the PAC great is how different each school is. Finding football games week 4 - 10 isn't always easy, but it would allow each school to have some more flexibility. Think how great if CS had a chance to get a Poochie led team a game vs a Cleveland area school? Or Manchester with Wright, or Orrville & Parks? Tuslaw & Fairless could scratch their Tusc area itch while Triway could look to Ashland county or Lucas.

And that doesn't even touch on the other great programs having more flexibility to either get wins or challenge themselves.

Part of what makes this league fun is that it seems like the schools all have different preferences. Leaving that 8th slot open allows everyone to scratch their own itches.

That said, would LOVE it if at least 3 or 4 kept playing CVCA. ; )
Triway v Lucas would be great. They really aren't that far from us.

Not PAC related, but did y’all see the young lady from Marengo who took 4 first places in individual events and almost singlehandedly won her school a team championship (her 40 points was all they scored & only 5 points out of first)?!?!

PAC football has had some dominant performers over the years, but not like that. WOW!
I worked with a fellow named Bobby Cruse who single handedly won the state title for Lebrea highschool. He still hold a few records for Ohio high school and the MAC in track. He can still pick em up and put em down to this day.