Outstanding Wrestler Discussion

There's basically three ways people look at OW awards...

Number one, best guy in the tourney. That's Joey Blaze, Max Shulaw and Max Hermes
Number two would be, guy who won the best bracket. Obviously subjective, but guys like Joy in DI, McClelland, Tucker or Newsome in DII, maybe Max Hermes again in DIII.
Third is the guy who scored the big upset. That really didn't happen this year. There were upsets in the tourney, for sure, but nothing huge and not by a guy who ended up winning the bracket. Brock Herman was 46-1 with that strong Brecksville schedule, his win over Wilson might be seen as a mild upset at best. Many people had him winning that bout.
Ok:
Regarding the last way, I would argue Harney upsetting Denkins and winning it would be the D1 choice. None other come to mind for d2 or d3.
Regarding the second way as toughest bracket winner, Joy or Brown probably for D1. Tucker or Newsome for D2. 138 was very weak—I would not say McClelland. And for d3, yes Hermes because of Shore—but there are no deep d3 brackets.
Lastly—best wrestler, D1 is Blaze. D2 is Shulaw. D3 Campbell. I coild be wrong but I don’t think Hermes has not wrestled and beat near the caliber of national guys Campbell has outside of Ohio. Still love him though….

144 had 2 nationally ranked wrestlers in the same HALF bracket.
Too bad Western Reserve school doesn’t do OHSAA. Coulda had even more sparks with Cartella too (would they be D1?). Ohio has got some talent at 144! I think Younger and Dominique have seen some national attention too….🔥

Dillon Campbell is better than Hermes. Hermes is outstanding for sure but not the best kid in D3.
I thought that before. However, watching Campbell struggle with King at the duals surprised me. Campbell also was rode out pretty handily by Parks in their match at State. I'd probably lean toward Hermes now. Especially if they weighed the same.

Either way, I don't think anyone could call that for sure. Let us also not forget that Hermes bumped up to 126 and easily beat Contos earlier this year.

😂😂😂😂 this triggered you? You should talk to someone.
Like I said Herman being picked as M.O. is NOT the issue. Your "hands down" comment on the other hand is rather insulting to all the other wrestlers that were under serious consideration.

Dillon Campbell is the best wrestler in Division III this year. He has major edges over all others when it comes to production for major events during the season, along with production for major events (Fargo FS, Super 32 type stuff) outside the season, and then is subjectively more talented as well. Dillon Campbell was the only nationally ranked wrestler in that division entering the tournament (Brodie Dominique would have been the next closest, and was actually ranked at various times of the season)

In terms of Division I, Brock Herman won the most anticipated match in the division on Saturday night, the one between him and two-time state champion Ty Wilson (who both are nationally ranked). 132 had one nationally ranked wrestler, he was the clear favorite; 113 had one nationally ranked wrestler, he was less of a favorite than Joy was at 132. The other weights (as noted) with multiple nationally ranked wrestlers were: 106, 138, 157, 175, and 215.

Division II had three nationally ranked wrestlers - Yarbrough, Newsome, and Shulaw.

Dillon Campbell is the best wrestler in Division III this year. He has major edges over all others when it comes to production for major events during the season, along with production for major events (Fargo FS, Super 32 type stuff) outside the season, and then is subjectively more talented as well. Dillon Campbell was the only nationally ranked wrestler in that division entering the tournament (Brodie Dominique would have been the next closest, and was actually ranked at various times of the season)

In terms of Division I, Brock Herman won the most anticipated match in the division on Saturday night, the one between him and two-time state champion Ty Wilson (who both are nationally ranked). 132 had one nationally ranked wrestler, he was the clear favorite; 113 had one nationally ranked wrestler, he was less of a favorite than Joy was at 132. The other weights (as noted) with multiple nationally ranked wrestlers were: 106, 138, 157, 175, and 215.

Division II had three nationally ranked wrestlers - Yarbrough, Newsome, and Shulaw.
Division II McClelland is nationally ranked as well

Herman had the biggest win of the tournament, so I'd go with him. Followed by Hermes for a close second.

Best wrestler in Ohio is Marcus Blaze. His resume speaks for itself, but even average fans would probably vote him just based off the eye-test. His footwork and setups on his feet are levels above anyone else in the state. On bottom, Hermes couldn't keep Marcus' hands on the mat for more than a few seconds. He's even better than Hermes on top, maybe even better than Cambell there too.

Herman had the biggest win of the tournament,
Why do so many posters give opinions that they expect the rest of us to just accept as facts. Are they of a certain political persuasion? Your statement is an OPINION. Birden defeated a returning state champ without a loss outside of Ohio. Fockler defeated a National Fargo Champ. I could continue. Herman had a great tournament. I'm glad he won M.O. but quit stating opinions as facts. It's juvenile.

Why do so many posters give opinions that they expect the rest of us to just accept as facts. Are they of a certain political persuasion? Your statement is an OPINION. Birden defeated a returning state champ without a loss outside of Ohio. Fockler defeated a National Fargo Champ. I could continue. Herman had a great tournament. I'm glad he won M.O. but quit stating opinions as facts. It's juvenile.
Lol did I say it was a fact? It IS my opinion. Sorry you took it to heart man. Chill pill brother. This entire discussion is opinion based. I believe Herman had the biggest win of the tournament. Wilson was slated to be one of the 2 four timers next year, now that won't happen. Allllllll of this is MY OPINION. Just clarifying for anyone else that might find this statement offensive or hurt anyone's feelings!!!

Always appreciate other opinions but lose the arrogance. I have no issue with the OHSWCA naming Herman M.O.W. in Div 1, but your "hands down" comment when talking about all the Div 1 champs from this weekend is juvenile at best.
I just went back and noticed this. You really do get upset. You THAT butthurt that Herman was awarded MO? Birden a relative or close friend? I wasn't even aware yet that they did infact award Herman MO, it was solely my opinion. Now you're on here getting all upset for people actually agreeing with what the OHSWCA decided? Lol you need to take a minute and do a few breathing exercises.

All brackets are not created equal. Some brackets have returning state champs, placers and even nationally ranked competitors.

Which brackets had nationally ranked wrestlers ?
It’s not Joey’s fault that his bracket wasn’t as impressive as, let’s say, the Ironman that he won! I guess this begs the question: how do we define “most outstanding wrestler” as it relates to the OHSAA tournament? I know that in general, a tournament’s MOW involves the wrestler’s performance at THAT tournament. However. I would support a broader definition of MOW for the OHSAA State Championship to encompass both the wrestler’s whole season, and in the case of seniors, the wrestler’s whole high school career. In that case, Blaze has my vote.

It’s not Joey’s fault that his bracket wasn’t as impressive as, let’s say, the Ironman that he won! I guess this begs the question: how do we define “most outstanding wrestler” as it relates to the OHSAA tournament? I know that in general, a tournament’s MOW involves the wrestler’s performance at THAT tournament. However. I would support a broader definition of MOW for the OHSAA State Championship to encompass both the wrestler’s whole season, and in the case of seniors, the wrestler’s whole high school career. In that case, Blaze has my vote.
Joey Blaze did not compete in Ironman this year. He did win the Super 32 prior to the start of the season with victories over both Sealey (Wyoming Seminary PA) and Nicco Ruiz (St. John Bosco CA).

The 165 weight class that Blaze won this year was not overly strong for a combination of reasons: (1) the 157 weight class the previous year only had two non-seniors place and only seven non-seniors overall, one of whom did not wrestle this season (2) the presence of a two-time champion like Blaze who won Super 32 is going to drive people away from the weight, even if it means going into 157 (Birden/Earnest) or 175 (Takats/J.R. Miller) .... the 150 weight of 2022 state tournament also only had seven non-seniors qualify

Reactions: ID8

There is a clear argument for Dillon Campbell being the best wrestler in D3. However, it isn't for certain, and national ranking isn't really a factor. That's about as important as their Borofan ranking heading into the tournament. It's just someone's opinion.

Also, being nationally ranked really has nothing to do with being mvp of a tournament.

Who you BEAT, and their regard on a national scale, secondly a state level is without debate the #1 Criteria for MVP. Obviously if theyre regraded highly "Nationally" they will have State success as well. Which is why I'm glad 120 pound Blaze wasn't selected, 120 was one of the weakest weights in the field except for him. Herman was a solid choice......

There is a clear argument for Dillon Campbell being the best wrestler in D3. However, it isn't for certain, and national ranking isn't really a factor. That's about as important as their Borofan ranking heading into the tournament. It's just someone's opinion.

Also, being nationally ranked really has nothing to do with being mvp of a tournament.
WRONG. Being nationally ranked obviously means you're LIKELY HIGHLY state ranked. You however can be ranked in the state ....and not even sniff a top 25 national ranking, meaning your resume of wins is NOT all that coveted. . An MVP is selected by quality wins against the best wrestlers in the brackets, if they beat a #5 nationally to win a state title, clearly that make them more valuable than beating a non national ranked competitor. MVP would involve the strength depth of quality wins in a weight class with the most depth of elite wrestlers. There is really no other way to view that.

WRONG. Being nationally ranked obviously means you're LIKELY HIGHLY state ranked. You however can be ranked in the state ....and not even sniff a top 25 national ranking, meaning your resume of wins is NOT all that coveted. . An MVP is selected by quality wins against the best wrestlers in the brackets, if they beat a #5 nationally to win a state title, clearly that make them more valuable than beating a non national ranked competitor. MVP would involve the strength depth of quality wins in a weight class with the most depth of elite wrestlers. There is really no other way to view that.
Didn't bother reading did you?

He said Dillon Campbell was the only nationally ranked D3 wrestler. He won state, so obviously he didn't beat a nationally ranked wrestler.

We are discussing the MVP of the tournament. In particular, I was responding about D3.

Pay attention.