Outraged teams not coming out for the national anthem

I can only speak from my experience. Someone earlier brought up that all other sports seem to be out for the anthem. In the case of Baseball/Softball, where else are they going to go? As for other "timed" sports, in my experience the pregame clock has completely run out before the Anthem is played/sang. This has generally not been the case for football, in my experience.

For example, at Shawnee after both teams leave the field the band enters and plays the fight song. Then they play the school hype song followed by the Anthem. Then they march to the endzone to setup for the team to enter generally while playing the fight song again.
When I played in Pep Band for basketball games, we would play pep songs for the entire pregame clock. Then introductions for both teams followed by the Anthem.

I do remember a few playoff games where the anthem was played after both teams were on the field.

Let's see:

Millions of Americans have diabetes.
Millions of Americans die from cancer.
Millions of children around the world die from starvation.
Americans are being abandoned in Afghanistan.
Saudi Arabia is conducting a genocide in Yemen.
Australia is arresting people going to church.

When I traveled to Colombia last month, I met a young man who was a student in Venezuela. He asked me for money so he could buy new lenses for his glasses. He was unable to get them in his home country because the government there has wrecked their country's economy. I gave him $20.

Both time I have traveled to South America, I have seen what poverty really looks like. If you have never left the USA, you don't know.

The original poster is crying and moaning because teams don't come out to salute the flag. So what? The flag is meaningless anyway because this god-forsaken country has also arrested people for going to church.

If teams not coming out for the anthem is the biggest problem in your life, then you are the luckiest person in the world.

Last edited:
Did you even read the article that you posted? The payments were for "Hometown Heroes" segments honoring soldiers during halftime. They had nothing to do with the National Anthem.

Also: as others mentioned, the implication of having teams be on the field for the anthem is that the kids would have to keep switching gears mentally and emotionally over the course of 5-10 minutes pre-game. Football/locker-room mode -> HARD PAUSE and staying silent (motionless and emotionless) for the anthem -> football/game mode. That's... just not realistic; and there is an ideal among adults that the kids can just do that mental/emotional roller-coaster in the prelude to a game that is very mentally and emotionally challenging at many points, that itself is just not a fair expectation either.
This is craziness. This is HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. If listening to the national anthem is out of the question due to the mental/emotional state of the players, maybe the game shouldn't even be played.

Let's see:

The original poster is crying and moaning because teams don't come out to salute the flag. So what? The flag is meaningless anyway because this god-forsaken country has also arrested people for going to church.

If teams not coming out for the anthem is the biggest problem in your life, then you are the luckiest person in the world.

THe original poster was trying to see who he could make cry and moan. You earned him one point. ;) As for your poverty statement, I've left the US and I've traveled the US. We have it. There is legit poverty in this country, where infrastructure and jobs haven't reached or where economy changed leaving few option. I've seen foreign countries where the cost of living is so low, people may "look" poor to us but they have what they need, own their own shack and the have access to education and rise. It's not so straight forward as looking at whether the house has a street in front of it. Besides, relativity whining or superior attitude (they have more/less than me) is the worst kind. JMHO Also I suppose, not much to do with this thread.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple go to the concession stand during the anthem then you won't have to witness it. Most places don't stop selling concessions during the anthem. I said most don't need 500 replies telling me "well they stop selling at Podunk high school."

I don't ever recall attending a game where both teams were not on the field for the anthem. Probably not essential that they be there if the anthem is played significantly before kickoff.

What about the prayer. Do schools show up for the prayer, then leave immediately? The small western Ohio schools where I attend games without exception play the anthem after both teams have returned to the field. It has been my job a few times to notify the visiting team we were down to 5 minutes in the pregame clock so they could get out to the field for the anthem.

Someone asked who's job it is to notify the teams? I don't think that's a universal concept either. I have seen the referee take care of it, an assigned host provided by the home school, an assistant coach, and even a time or two a JV player positioned outside the locker room so he could watch the clock. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the team to show up on the field at game time, but appears to be no hard set rule how that looks exactly.

Next time I'm at a game with a pre game prayer, I will take note if the announcement comes immediately after the prayer, "for those of you who want to appear unpatriotic you should leave the field now or at least take a knee".

You warm up. Go inside for some last words and perhaps a prayer. Some coaches want to be out and the National Anthem is played. Others have it timed where they come out about 3 minutes left before game time. I don’t know how soon the Anthem is played. I have never had a team that went out for the Anthem. If it is played early I won’t go out and stand around for 5 minutes. Also many of the pregame festivities could be lost. Running out through the band. Making the traditional entrance the team and band might always use. No offense to our country or our soldiers but I would worry a lot more about fans not removing their hats or being disrespectful. I have seen a lot of that at other sporting events.
I am a fan and I stand, take off my hat and sometimes sing. Hand over heart. I expect all do do it including the players.
start with disrespectful students in gthe stands and adults who aren’t paying attention. Don’t pick on the players for prepping for the game. Tell an administrator you don’t like the way people are behaving while present. Also, many pro players take a knee. Not very respectful.

So what about a team that skips the anthem, but has a dude carry an American flag through the band tunnel/crate paper? Is that patriotic enough? Pretty sure I saw a team that had one dude carry a sledgehammer, one dude carrying a school flag, and two more dudes carrying American flags. Only thing missing was a group of Shriners doing figure 8's in the miniature cars. I thought I was at a parade.

I don't ever recall attending a game where both teams were not on the field for the anthem. Probably not essential that they be there if the anthem is played significantly before kickoff.

What about the prayer. Do schools show up for the prayer, then leave immediately? The small western Ohio schools where I attend games without exception play the anthem after both teams have returned to the field. It has been my job a few times to notify the visiting team we were down to 5 minutes in the pregame clock so they could get out to the field for the anthem.

Someone asked who's job it is to notify the teams? I don't think that's a universal concept either. I have seen the referee take care of it, an assigned host provided by the home school, an assistant coach, and even a time or two a JV player positioned outside the locker room so he could watch the clock. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the team to show up on the field at game time, but appears to be no hard set rule how that looks exactly.

Next time I'm at a game with a pre game prayer, I will take note if the announcement comes immediately after the prayer, "for those of you who want to appear unpatriotic you should leave the field now or at least take a knee".
Interesting. I don't ever remember attending a game where public prayer was conducted.

Didn’t we just have this same thread last year? Back then we learned:

-some Ohio schools/leagues have the players outside for the NA, but most don’t.

-it may be more common outside of Ohio to have players on the field for the anthem.

-someone is outraged that it is not more common or that it is not a statewide rule.

Nothing seems to have a changed since then. See you all next year.

Both teams on the field for the anthem AND a pre-game prayer? What you're describing is the EXTREME minority, and nowhere close to the norm. When I played 20 years ago, we were never on the field for the anthem. And to my recollection, there was never a pregame prayer either... and I went to a Catholic school.

We are truly fortunate to live in the greatest nation in the world. Believe me, I have lived in many different nations without the freedoms that we have in America. Respect for our national anthem is something we have to teach our children. Too many young men and women have died to protect our freedoms.

So what about a team that skips the anthem, but has a dude carry an American flag through the band tunnel/crate paper? Is that patriotic enough? Pretty sure I saw a team that had one dude carry a sledgehammer, one dude carrying a school flag, and two more dudes carrying American flags. Only thing missing was a group of Shriners doing figure 8's in the miniature cars. I thought I was at a parade.
Yep. And these 2 guys were standing just inside the gate.

1631108962381.png

That is irrelevant. Anyone can make any excuse for an action or lack of an action. Not being on the sidelines for the Anthem is a choice. If a school or team WANTED to be out there for it, they WOULD be out there for it. I'm guessing it's not a priority. The game is the focus. Not the Anthem.
99.9% of the time the choice has nothing to do with making some sort of political statement

1. If you get hurt by what others do or don't do - that's a YOU problem.
2. When I was in the service we remained at attention & saluted the US Flag during all renderings of the national anthem.
3. Now that I'm a civilian, I sing every time & think about the folks who aren't with us any longer
4. When it's over, I usually wipe my eyes and get excited to watch whatever event I'm at

Only "annoying" things:
- Boy Band Anthems. It's not a love ballad, you drag out notes you deserve sections of your anatomy removed.
- Distracting me from the Anthem. I could care less what you do as long as what you do doesn't distract me from enjoying the Anthem.

I have been involved with high school football in one capacity or another for half a century. The teams are usually not on the field.
I've attended 1,189 high school football games. It's far more common not to be on the field than on it during the anthem. One exception is state finals tend to have the same protocol and players are brought out earlier usually. Regardless which state.

This weekend, just for something to do, take note of the game clock when the home team heads to the locker room after warming up. If it's like my school, what follows is:
  • Some dead time
  • Band marches out, maybe plays the fight song?
  • Alma Mater
  • National Anthem
  • Team(s) leave locker rooms
  • Home team introduces Offense or Defense, each player gathers at midfield.
  • Hyped-up mob on sideline (pretty non-existent in Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, etc.)
  • Kickoff
My school has something special going on at pretty much every home game, so the teams go back into the locker room probably close to 25 minutes before the scheduled kickoff.

It's really up to each school/ coach/ administration. I remember when teams were not out for the anthem, I remember when they were. Didn't make any difference in the game for me. So is the Anthem for the players, the fans or both? Many broadcasted games play commercials during the anthem so it's not for the tv/ radio audience.

I've often said there is WAY too much warm up time for teams before games. It could easily be cut in half.

2020 threw things off because teams weren’t using locker rooms so generally teams were on the field earlier than usual. Otherwise it seems (at least in games I’ve attended) most teams come out after the anthem.

In my 4 years of playing high school and 2 years sitting the bench while on a college team… I never once remember being on the field to hear the anthem played. But that was a long time ago.

I never once thought of it as some sort of political statement.

This horse was beaten to death after the Kappernick controversy but I believe that other than the Super Bowl, NFL teams used to come out after the anthem up until like 10 years ago.

Honestly, I have never understood why High School football teams are not out for the playing of the National Anthem. Pretty much every other HS varsity sport, the 2 teams involved are out of their locker rooms and in the gym, (basketball - girls and boys. Wrestling, volleyball) or on the field, (soccer, softball, baseball etc..) when they play the pre game National Anthem. Why aren't the football teams. It makes no sense to me. On a rare occasion I have seen 2 football teams out for the playing of the Anthem. But is is very rare. I am in no way upset about it, I just don't understand it.
It has everything to do with timing and pregame prep, I am very proud of my country and I would go and die for it, but still like coming out after the anthem in football

Since as a nation, the National Anthem is played before pretty much every sporting event. And MOST everyone stands for it, turns toward the flag, takes off their hats, some with their hand on their heart, some even sing it, there must be SOME importancy to doing it. Also the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and the NCAA teams all are a part of it. So like I said, I have never understood why HS football isn't on the sideline for it. But down deep I believe that it is a USA pride, respect, and honoring of the men and women that fought for our freedom. I am honestly intrigued by why they are not. I do agree with many posters that it is not a political thing. So why?
I played major college football and can remember being on the field for some of the anthem playings, but not all. This is in the early 2000's

The tune used as the National Anthem was officially adopted in 1931. The Star-Spangled Banner was composed in 1814 but does anybody know all the words by heart?

The tune used as the National Anthem was officially adopted in 1931. The Star-Spangled Banner was composed in 1814 but does anybody know all the words by heart?
To WSA's point - most folks who get upset about "disrespecting the anthem" aren't aware that what is played before events is actually the first verse to the song The Star Spangled Banner.

To answer WSA - NO! No one, not even Mrs Scott Key knew all the words to all 4 verses by heart. (And it didn't make them love the US of A any less.)

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream, 'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - "In God is our trust,"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I didn't know it was an expectation that teams come out for the anthem. We never did in high school. The anthem was played by the band in the middle of their pre-game performance (song, national anthem, alma mater, song, then line up for players to run onto field). We stayed in the locker room, talked through game preparations, etc. We came onto the field when we were ready for the game.