One Third Of The Way Through The Regular Season: Who Will Make The CFP ??

As of 9/23/23 Who Makes The CFP

• Georgia

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Michigan

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Texas

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Washington

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Oregon

• Southern Cal

• Utah

• Florida State

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Miami (FL)

• Notre Dame

• Penn State

• North Carolina

• LSU

• Other

• Ohio State

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
No it isn't. They're both still undefeated. Let's say Washington holds serve at home to beat Oregon. Then the Ducks win out with Washington dropping a game or two. Oregon. Utah has lost already, as has UCLA, as has Oregon St and Washington St. USC is going to lose once maybe even twice, so if Oregon were to win out, there's a high probability that they reach the Pac 12 title game and if they win it, with 1-loss, they'll be in the Playoff still.

If the Pac 12 Champ gets left out with one loss this year, with all the quality teams in that conference, then all the more reason to expand.
Oregon should get in automatically for destroying Colorado, the best team in the history of CF.

What? I assume you mean the MLB playoffs, but you could have also meant the college baseball playoffs, either way, neither of those playoffs are single elimination games, they're series or double elimination, round Robin style. So you just argued that in baseball where it is NOT single elimination, seeding doesn't matter and therefore in football where it is a single elimination format, that seeding doesn't matter. Make that, make sense?

I'll concede that in football right now, under the current format seeding doesn't really mean squat because the games are all neutral site. Sure the highest seed is supposed to get the more geographical edge in those neutral site locations, but it really doesn't matter so long as you're included.

That ship goes out the window to a degree when we move to 12. Seeding will absolutely matter. For starters, the top 4 seeds get byes. So they will have to play one less game and worry about getting their players healthy etc.

Then seeds 5-8 will be hosting 9-12 in the first round So for a team like LSU, they would playing to host a game or go to a Michigan/Ohio State/Penn St or visiting Washington/Seattle. If you don't think weather in December, along with the size and crowds of these 80-100k seat stadiums doesn't matter then you must not pay attention to college football.
It doesn't matter as much as it used to. And what's the point? Currently, we generally get the best teams in the top 4. In a few years, you WILL see a team that wins a national championship that has no business being there. There will be a major conference 2-3 loss team win it all. So what have you accomplished. This has nothing do with finding a champion. It's all about making more money for the schools, the coaches. I've said from the onset that expanding the college football playoffs is a bad idea.

In the regular season. Championship games are post season. And watching Bama’s defense I might take Bama over Georgia.
To be fair, it doesn't matter if it's regular season or post season, (I wouldn't necessarily call the conference championship game the postseason but to each their own) if Alabama gets beat again they're out of the Playoff. Even if it's a close loss to Georgia in the SEC Title Game. There are too many good teams that should finish either undefeated or with 1-loss to knock out any 2-loss candidates.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter as much as it used to. And what's the point? Currently, we generally get the best teams in the top 4. In a few years, you WILL see a team that wins a national championship that has no business being there. There will be a major conference 2-3 loss team win it all. So what have you accomplished. This has nothing do with finding a champion. It's all about making more money for the schools, the coaches. I've said from the onset that expanding the college football playoffs is a bad idea.
Alright so we're getting somewhere. Seeding does matter and will matter more in future Playoffs once it's expanded than it currently does now.

But now explain how exactly the current format finds a truer champion than an expanded playoff? Right now none of the top teams actually play one another in the regular season. Hell teams don't even play everyone in their conference like other sports, the schedules are rotated, except for a few protected rivalry games. Could a team like 2014 TCU have won the whole thing after they lost to Baylor by one score, but were left out?

90% of the time one of the top 4 will likely prevail, but say a team has an injury to a QB and they lose a game, but then that QB comes back in November/December? They can make a run. I'd much rather have things play out on the field in actual games, than decided and played out in a boardroom with a bunch of people in suits.

To be fair, it doesn't matter if it's regular season or post season, (I wouldn't necessarily call the conference championship game the postseason but to each their own) if Alabama gets beat again they're out of the Playoff. Even if it's a close loss to Georgia in the SEC Title Game. There are too many good teams that should finish either undefeated or with 1-loss to knock out any 2-loss candidates.
The NCAA calls championship games post-season. That’s what counts

Where did I say Bama gets in with a second loss?
You asked where Bama loses in the regular season again, you didn't like that someone mentioned GA in the SEC Title Game because you (and the NCAA apparently) refers to that as the postseason.

The point is, it doesn't matter if Bama goes through the rest of their regular season schedule unscathed, because if they lose to Georgia in the SEC CG then they're out. Period.

You asked where Bama loses in the regular season again, you didn't like that someone mentioned GA in the SEC Title Game because you (and the NCAA apparently) refers to that as the postseason.

The point is, it doesn't matter if Bama goes through the rest of their regular season schedule unscathed, because if they lose to Georgia in the SEC CG then they're out. Period.
They didn’t.

Not as important as you think. We see in the baseball playoffs that seeding means squat. In a sport like football where it's one day winner take all, not going to matter. There will a 6-7 seed in an 8 team playoff or a 10-11 seed win in all some year, especially a major conference team.
Would LSU still have a heartbeat later next year, of course but from what we've seen from them, going to be a long long shot for them to run the table and win the conference championship.

Why the 4 team is best, this weekend, Oregon goes to Washington - this is an elimination game. The loser is done for the playoff. Next season and beyond, it's just a semi-big game but not an elimination game. My point is the "playoff" now is the whole season, week after week. We'll lose that going forward all just for more money. Sad.
But look at the schedules that have been created for 2024, in the SEC! Unless they allow three loss teams, virtually NOBODY will make the twelve team playoffs, due to the cannibalization of our conference in regular season. JUST like the GHSA is in Georgia prep circles.

Sparty nailed it despite the 2 laughs he received when he made the post

Kudos
I honestly forgot about this thread. People should listen to me more, I mean I do have a podcast and all haha. Also, never once all season did I ever have OSU in my top 5 teams. I was incorrect on Michigan being THIS good though.

I honestly forgot about this thread. People should listen to me more, I mean I do have a podcast and all haha. Also, never once all season did I ever have OSU in my top 5 teams. I was incorrect on Michigan being THIS good though.
And AOC is in CONGRESS TOO! Two wrongs don't make a right, after all.