OHSAA Tournament Upsets

D4 NEO Section 2. 24th seeded Willoughby Cornerstone Christian (12-10) beat 6th seeded Lisbon (18-4) 68-65. 2nd round WCC beat 17th seeded Vienna Mathews (13-9) by the same score

Last edited:
Division 1 Central District 3

#20 Grove City (15-8): 54
#11 Big Walnut (16-6): 46

At the time of the game, Big Walnut was ranked #59 in the state, and Grove City was ranked #74.

GAME ALERT:
Southwest Division 1 District 1

#3 Springboro (16-6)
v.
#18 Springfield (3-18)

District Semifinals (@ Centerville HS)

You may glance past this game but 3-18 Springfield is coming off a major upset victory against #2 Beavercreek, who beat them by double digits twice in the regular season. Winner will play #1 Archbishop Moeller in the District Championship.

GAME ALERT:
Southwest Division 1 District 2

#10 Lebanon (13-10)
v.
#4 Huber Heights Wayne (16-8)

Winner will play #2 Elder in the District Championship.

GAME ALERT:
Southwest Division 1 District 1

#3 Springboro (16-6)
v.
#18 Springfield (3-18)

You may glance past this game but 3-18 Springfield is coming off a major upset victory against #2 Beavercreek, who beat them by double digits twice in the regular season. Winner will play #1 Archbishop Moeller in the District Championship.
It wasn’t long ago that Springboro was losing key players and felt they had coaching issues……maybe losing players was the key…..glad to see them making a showing!!!!!

Both games I mentioned yesterday were close, with both higher-seeded teams fending off upset bids as Huber Heights Wayne won in OT 73-70, and Springboro held off 3-18 Springfield 86-75.

Dalton beats Mogadore by 11 in OT last night (outscored them 11-0 in OT). Mogadore was riding a 20 game win streak and was the 3 seed I believe here.
Was at the game. Actually a classless decision by the Dalton coach to allow his player to score an uncontested layup at the end with the game already decided. Win by 9 or 11 does it matter??
Congratulations to Mogadore on a very successful season.

While it’s not big boy basketball, D4 Central District has two brackets and Sectionals were played without a single lower seed winning. As much as there has been disgust at the new MaxPreps formula, it’s been all chalk in at least one district so far.
Central OH is by far the weakest district in the state regardless the Division. The top seeds in that district aren't very good - the bottom are really bad.

Central OH is by far the weakest district in the state regardless the Division. The top seeds in that district aren't very good - the bottom are really bad.
I agree with the exception of D1, I believe the Northwest is the weakest in that regard.

GAME ALERT:
Northwest Division 1 District 1

#3 Sandusky (22-1)
v.
#4 Perrysburg (16-7)

District Semifinals (@ Lake HS)

Sandusky is riding a 16-game winning streak into this one and boasts the #21 rank in MaxPreps statewide rankings (all divisions), while Perrysburg holds the #41 spot despite the 7 losses. Can Perrysburg send add to the trend of sending highly ranked MaxPreps teams home?

Was at the game. Actually a classless decision by the Dalton coach to allow his player to score an uncontested layup at the end with the game already decided. Win by 9 or 11 does it matter??
I'm kinda of wondering if a Mogadore player did that would you call their head coach classless?
How do you know he didn't tell the kids no more shots and the player didn't listen to him.

That happens a lot.....if you're running out the clock and the defense just walks away....so what if he takes a layup

I've watched Mogadore basketball for more years than most of you I'm sure. Never have I seen a Mogadore player do that. In fact they could have in countless games. But rather they dribble out the time, as most class programs do. And the Dalton coaches and players actually celebrated the layup. So be it.

If you think it doesn’t matter then what difference is it that he scored the basket?

UPSET WATCH ALERT:

#3 Sandusky (21-1): 10
#4 Perrysburg (16-7) 22

END OF 1

Sandusky was ranked #9 in the final AP Poll

UPSET WATCH ALERT:

#3 Sandusky (21-1): 21
#4 Perrysburg (16-7) 28

HALFTIME

Sandusky was ranked #9 in the final AP Poll, and is looking to avoid an upset bid here. They have managed to cut the Perrysburg lead to 7.

UPSET WATCH ALERT:

#3 Sandusky (21-1): 36
#4 Perrysburg (16-7) 52

END OF 3

Sandusky was ranked #9 in the final AP Poll, and find themselves down 16 coming into the 4th quarter, getting outscored 24-15 in the 3rd quarter.

Division 1 Northwest District 1

#4 Perrysburg (16-7): 66
#3 Sandusky (21-1) 51

Perrysburg knocks off #9 in the state (AP Poll) and MaxPreps #21 team, and despite Perrysburg maybe being the better team on paper ranking wise this is quite the upset.

I've watched Mogadore basketball for more years than most of you I'm sure. Never have I seen a Mogadore player do that. In fact they could have in countless games. But rather they dribble out the time, as most class programs do. And the Dalton coaches and players actually celebrated the layup. So be it.
oh good grief, talk about making something out of nothing. The only class discussion in this game was the behavior of your coach. I kind of laughed watching him tantrum like a child through most of the game, but the end was a real embarrassment, running down the court pointing and screaming at the officials, then slamming the ball on the floor.

Your football team has won games by 40 and 50 points. Was it classless for the coach to keep scoring touchdowns after they were up 4 touchdowns? Win by 28,35, 42 or 50….does it matter?

Interesting that you haven’t called your own football coach out for doing the same to other teams. I’ll look forward to you doing that next football season since you haven’t done it in the past and you feel it’s wrong.

Division 1 Northwest District 2

#12 Northview (11-13): 50
#1 Findlay (21-2): 48

F/OT

Northview, ranked #201 in the state by MaxPreps, knocks off Findlay who's ranked #6 in the entire state by MaxPreps (Across all divisions), and #5 by the Final AP Poll. This is one of the biggest upsets of the year and leaves the Northwest District 2 Championship wide open.

Your football team has won games by 40 and 50 points. Was it classless for the coach to keep scoring touchdowns after they were up 4 touchdowns? Win by 28,35, 42 or 50….does it matter?

Interesting that you haven’t called your own football coach out for doing the same to other teams. I’ll look forward to you doing that next football season since you haven’t done it in the past and you feel it’s wrong.
You apparently do not watch Mogadore football games. Starters are removed and jv put in consistently when game is decided. Have not ever seen Mogadore coaches " pile it on" and win by 40-50 points with starters left in. They could have padded stats for players but instead call off the starters early. You, whoever you are, are totally off base on this one!

You apparently do not watch Mogadore football games. Starters are removed and jv put in consistently when game is decided. Have not ever seen Mogadore coaches " pile it on" and win by 40-50 points with starters left in. They could have padded stats for players but instead call off the starters early. You, whoever you are, are totally off base on this one!
So if a JV player had made the layup it’d be ok. Very specific rule set you have.