OHSAA D1 Chatter

Traditionally St. Edward meets or exceeds expectations. They do a great job in the consolation brackets that beef up those team points. They traditionally have a very high winning percentage in 3rd and 5th place matches. All that said, in a year where they aren't likely to win 4 weight classes, you never know. D I is loaded and a tight team race is quite likely.
I cannot agree with this more...year after year for decades kids that wrestle for St. Edward simply win more than they should. It's uncanny and very impressive. Perhaps some Eagles fan could do an analysis of where kids were predicted to place and where they actually placed. I would bet a lot that the average SE kid finishes above the prediction 60-70% of the time. It comes down to confidence and swagger that pushes kids to achieve what others don't. Kids that believe they can win, win more often even against "better" opponents. (btw, I am in no way an Eds fan, just a long-time admirer)

In the past, has there ever been a district that was not represented in the state finals?
According to Bucksman, the Southwest will be totally shut out this year, only one finalist (Klienberg) and an average placement of 5th for the highest Kettering placer. That is downright no respect whatsoever. We shall see if his gloom holds.

I cannot agree with this more...year after year for decades kids that wrestle for St. Edward simply win more than they should. It's uncanny and very impressive. Perhaps some Eagles fan could do an analysis of where kids were predicted to place and where they actually placed. I would bet a lot that the average SE kid finishes above the prediction 60-70% of the time. It comes down to confidence and swagger that pushes kids to achieve what others don't. Kids that believe they can win, win more often even against "better" opponents. (btw, I am in no way an Eds fan, just a long-time admirer)
You can say they "recruit" of course since they're a private school thats sort of expected. Coaching wise Heff is good of course, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's "better" than several other coaches. More than anything it's the "iron sharpens iron " phrase that likely sets the slightly above average kid that attends St Ed's to surpass expectations, they have wrestled the toughest schedule in the State for many years ( Sure there are a few teams that have tried to duplicate that) .....REPEATEDLY facing "better" competition than they will face come Districts and States...this is HUGE end of story.

More than anything it's the "iron sharpens iron " phrase that likely sets the slightly above average kid that attends St Ed's to surpass expectations, they have wrestled the toughest schedule in the State for many years ( Sure there are a few teams that have tried to duplicate that) .....REPEATEDLY facing "better" competition than they will face come Districts and States...this is HUGE end of story.
Very good post.

SW District first round breakdown-

0 , 4-0
4 , 3-1 (138/150/190/215)
3 , 2-2 (132/165/286)
4 , 1-3 (113/126/157/175)
3 . 0-4 (106/120/144)

7, 1 point losses
4, OT losses

22 still in pursuit of a state title

Last edited:
It comes down to how they practice, their credo, the recipie. Character Without question one of the finest examples of stupendous excellence in any sport, business at anytime for such a sustained period of time.
Ted Ginn knows these ingredients too. So does mike mcGlaughlin( st ignatius soccer) . And so does Penn State . I am so proud eds are in Ohio

Eds has a tough quarterfinal round coming up. There could be a couple upsets in the lower weights. Could be the round they run away with the title or allow Perrysburg back in to the team race.

Eds has a tough quarterfinal round coming up. There could be a couple upsets in the lower weights. Could be the round they run away with the title or allow Perrysburg back in to the team race.
I could still see them going 10-2, likely 9-3....more than 3 losses would sort of surprise me. Sanderfer....Both Browns...Obrien with the toughest opponents, although Bennett could get knocked off. Butler with an easy path until he gets knocked to the Consi's the following match. If Brecksville pulls out just a couple upsets against Ed's guys it could get interesting.

They could have 7 winners in the quarters

79AC49F6-EBA7-4906-847A-451A07BB22DF.jpeg

Hoover 43-13
Perrysburg 33-23
K. Fairmont 22-34
H. Darby 14-42
While I hoped for better results from HD district, I'm not particularly surprised. Without following too carefully this season, it seemed (to me) that there was some very top-level talent, and then A LOT of merely "good" wrestlers. I saw Bucksman's predictions after the brackets came out, and he had (I think) 18 Placers from HD district ... terrible, but I suspect he'll be very close. Really a down year, even for a 2nd-tier district. :confused:

According to Bucksman, the Southwest will be totally shut out this year, only one finalist (Klienberg) and an average placement of 5th for the highest Kettering placer. That is downright no respect whatsoever. We shall see if his gloom holds.
He wasn’t far off on his predictions. NEO is king of wrestling. Always will be.