OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

nice, I will go find them, I am just curious how much revenue loss they have had the past 10 or so years.

pre covid that is.
They used to archive them back to the early 2000's.... Not anymore.

Remember, the audit you are seeing won't detail how they spend money.

The OHSAA sent a press release advising of a May 3rd special board meeting to vote on membership dues. In the release there is a verrrrrrrry telling paragraph with regards to revenue..... It states.....

"While the fiscal year 2020-21 budget predicted a $1.3 million loss for the organization, OHSAA had net positive revenue after the fall season due mostly to the increase in the number of football tournament games"

Since my senior year (1993), the number of playoff teams has went from 80 (5 divisions, top 4 in each region) to 448 (7 divisions, top 16 in each region). Making the playoffs used to mean something. Now, just like society, everyone gets a trophy. The almighty dollar wins again.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2h
I'm old enough to have seen this thing go full circle. I remember in the 80's when there was 3 divisions and 3 teams made it to the playoffs. There were 10-0 teams who didn't make the playoffs, many of them. We've split the divisions up to 7 now, and included up to 8 teams per region, now 16.

Indiana plays an 8 game schedule and everyone makes the playoffs. Maybe it's time for that. The teams that win 0-4 games want football season to end, not extend and they certainly don't want to get beat 70-0 in their last game of the season.

More is not necessarily better.

I'm old enough to have seen this thing go full circle. I remember in the 80's when there was 3 divisions and 3 teams made it to the playoffs. There were 10-0 teams who didn't make the playoffs, many of them. We've split the divisions up to 7 now, and included up to 8 teams per region, now 16.

Indiana plays an 8 game schedule and everyone makes the playoffs. Maybe it's time for that. The teams that win 0-4 games want football season to end, not extend and they certainly don't want to get beat 70-0 in their last game of the season.

Never.

There is a really bad disconnect between OHSAA and it’s members and I blame both sides. The members have allowed them to operate like this and for too long. So naturally, they do as they please.

Now, I heard of the push for 16 teams as far back as February, so if I heard that, you can’t tell me members didn’t as well. At some point someone has to step up and say “hey what’s going on here.” Maybe they did, maybe they didn’t.

Members also knew the OHSAA bank account was/is light. To me, again, someone needs to step up and ask what the plan is. Members elect directors so where are the directors in all of this?

It all comes back to the disconnect that’s been going on far too long. The Snodgrass situation certainly didn’t do anything to help things. Now the new commissioner seems to be MIA publicly.

There is a really bad disconnect between OHSAA and it’s members and I blame both sides. The members have allowed them to operate like this and for too long. So naturally, they do as they please.

Now, I heard of the push for 16 teams as far back as February, so if I heard that, you can’t tell me members didn’t as well. At some point someone has to step up and say “hey what’s going on here.” Maybe they did, maybe they didn’t.

Members also knew the OHSAA bank account was/is light. To me, again, someone needs to step up and ask what the plan is. Members elect directors so where are the directors in all of this?

It all comes back to the disconnect that’s been going on far too long. The Snodgrass situation certainly didn’t do anything to help things. Now the new commissioner seems to be MIA publicly.
Snodgrass tried to clean it up and stepped on some toes in doing so.

You're also the guy who told us months ago that a 16 team NLL was a done deal.

So there's that ...
No lol I believe you have me confused with someone. If anything I’ve had doubts about the conference they’re building but that’s another topic

OHSAA responds......

Definitely financially motivated. Doesn't help the kids to play 16 games to win a title. Even high college football plays 15. The it's for a kids stuff is hilarious. It's a money grab. And it will result in many 3 win or fewer teams getting in especially in d1..

Making the playoffs is no longer an accomplishment

In two years, all teams will make the playoffs, book it...

The few teams that don't make the playoffs will be ridiculed and made to feel bad. That will make the change.

Maybe all teams should be allowed to play 3 more weeks against teams of their choosing after the regular season ends, like last season... and decide to forgo the playoffs and create their own 8-team bracket (create an all-county or all-city tournament of some kind).
Instead of being 4-6 and playing at a 10-0 powerhouse in the first round.

Maybe all teams should be allowed to play 3 more weeks against teams of their choosing after the regular season ends, like last season... and decide to forgo the playoffs and create their own 8-team bracket (create an all-county or all-city tournament of some kind).
Instead of being 4-6 and playing at a 10-0 powerhouse in the first round.
This actually isn’t the worst plan. But the down size is if the whole city or area are seeded pretty well it would be pointless

Or it could look like this during the playoffs.
At 0:52 is the OHSAA peeking to see the carnage!! And the easy money!!!

Last edited:
The problem with allowing schools to schedule extra games outside of playoffs is that you have some people that view those games as not "important." Our school had an issue where players were wanting to move on to the next sport, which is valid. The coach was trying to get them a tenth game, also valid. Several seniors opted to not play week 9 and the team missed out on a week 10 due to pressure from other sports wanting to start their season. So if they were to go that route, ADs would have to grow a back bone and tell other sports and the kids that they are int he season until the end instead of making the football coaches be in the middle.

This was a 7-2 team who had a bye in the playoffs. So you can imagine the turmoil on a less successful team.

Definitely financially motivated. Doesn't help the kids to play 16 games to win a title. Even high college football plays 15. The it's for a kids stuff is hilarious. It's a money grab. And it will result in many 3 win or fewer teams getting in especially in d1..

Making the playoffs is no longer an accomplishment
That decision was made more than a year ago.

The traditionalists are like...
1619220864641.jpeg

Any game before 3rd round is now completely worthless to attend. Indiana let’s everyone in the playoffs and the matchups are atrocious until 3rd round.

Not exactly right. Indiana does let everyone in, but do not seed it. They have 3 rounds of Sectional, then Regional, Semi State, and State. You could have #1 vs #2 if they're in the same Sectional playing opening round. Many have asked for the IHSAA to seed all sports for Sectional. Only individual wrestling has seeding for the Sectional to my knowledge.

Indiana plays 9 regular season games and 1 guaranteed playoff game.

Ohio going nine regular season and all-in playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing (or eight and all-in, and allowing teams to play one game after elimination). I would think going to all-in or closer to all-in could serve to reduce the revolving door in conferences going on currently.