Ohio State Volleyball

Auggie

Has Jen Flynn finally turned things around at Ohio State or is this just a mirage since they have yet to play the big girls of the B1G? They do have 1 W over Penn State at home but now face Penn State on the road followed by back to back double headers against Minnesota & Nebraska. Emily Londot looks like she is the real deal and it good to see a top level Ohio recruit stay in state, here is hoping the trend continues and more Ohio girls at the top of the recruiting ranks look at Ohio State and not just the big national names.

Ohio State beats #10 Penn State in straight sets to move to 12-0. Next up is #5 Minnesota at home and a test to see if they are a legit program to contend with in arguably the best volleyball conference in the NCAA. Emily Londot continues her stellar play with 13 kills @ a .423 hitting percentage.

Last edited:
Quick update.
  • Currently ranked 9th in the country, I cannot tell you the last time they were top 10 in the NCAA.
  • The Minnesota matches were cancelled due to the Covid, big bummer.
  • They split a pair of 5 set matches in Lincoln with Nebraska who is currently ranked 5th.
  • Swept Michigan rather easily at home.
  • Face #10 Purdue this weekend at home.
Pending the results of Purdue this team could be in the top 2-3 of the best volleyball conference in the country. The bummer is they will not have played the nationally ranked #1 Wiscy & #4 Minnesota teams so they will not be truly tested. Should still get a good seed heading into the national tourney.

NCAA Volleyball brackets are out: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2021

• Like Basketball it will be played in a bubble, this time in beautiful Omaha NE; they do know how to host this type event having run the baseball tourney for years. Nice break for Nebraska but then again the home cooking didn't help Purdue in hoops.
  • Wiscy is overall #1
  • tOSU is seeded 9
  • Defending champ Stanford had Covid issues and their season never got on track, there will be a new title winner this year.

In sad news the NCAA is really blowing the volleyball tournament. They cut the field from 64 to 48, are only broadcasting the semis and finals on ESPN2, the earlier rounds will be available via the internet with a static camera and no commentary, and the early rounds will occur in a convo center with multiple Taraflex courts on concrete being played at the same time. It is also being reported that Mikasa has signed on to provide the scoring system>

s-l640.jpg

Sounds to me like a JO tournament.

UD also took #6 Washington to 5. In general not a good day for the Pac 12 with seeded Washington St. and Utah both losing.

Ohio State steps up in SEC comp next with Florida, the Gators will probably match up 6'7" RS Carlton against Londot so tOSU will probably need their middles to be more productive to help out on the offensive load. Will be a great test for the a young team and coach.

4/18 update.

Penn State v Texas is on ESPU. Florida v tOSU on ESPN2 @ 7:30. It does look like a JO tourney.

Three B1G teams left in the elite 8.
Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.
Ohio State, Penn State and Minnesota fell by the wayside today.

I wondered why Pitt was unranked. They had a heck of team last year, top 5 ranking, that played tight in the tourney and was bounced earlier than expected, still had a great season. Then this past fall they had a bit if a hang over and played poorly, picked things up during their spring season and it carried over to the tourney. Swept #10 Utah and took a solid Minnesota team down in a 5 setter. The Libero is a Lake Catholic grad.

Ohio State played really tight and their youth showed last night. Should have won that 2nd set and when they gave it away losing 5 set points I thought it would be a sweep so I give them credit for battling to take at least 1 set. In particular their passing was not very crisp and I thought Mac Podraza had a tough game as she seemed to telegraph where the attack was headed and the big Florida blockers were right there most of the time. Still a big improvement from where they were in the past few years. Not much is graduating this year and with the experience hopefully they will become more of a national presence as it appears Penn State may be waning. Big recruiting battle coming up with Caroline Jurevicius, dad is a Penn State grad and Nebraska is recruiting her hard, will say a lot about the coach and direction of the program if they can keep her in state.

National semis are set, Wiscy vs Texas and Kentucky v Washington.

I have Texas v Kentucky in the title game.

UK is national champs. They showed how important it is to have a great setter, not only did she put the ball in the right spot seemingly every time but she defended her position well. I heard from a parent whose daughter played in the 1st round and he said it really was a JO tourney, for a conference champ from a smaller conference this was very disappointing and was much of a reward for a great season.

As for Ohio State... Nice turn around season and its good for the state's volleyball community to have the flagship University in one of the best conferences be competitive. Now they need to take the next step up and not only compete in the Conference in a single season but to make this more of a annual thing and recruit nationally.

Ohio State starts off the 2021 season 10-0 and heads to Purdue Friday to play the #7 Boilermakers to open B1G play. I have been watching a little NCAA volleyball and it looks like a transition year, Penn State and Nebraska are not the powers they have been and B1G might be open to new blood. A lot of transfers coming out of the Covid year too so it is taking time for some sides to jell. Best news is the Div I championships are being held in Columbus this year, would be nice to see some local teams represent.