Ohio State Football 2023

If I were allowed to pick, I would take Texas and Oklahoma over USC and UCLA. Washington and Oregon are nice additions. The question is if the ACC stays intact. I would think the SEC would get their pick of schools if the ACC would disband.

FYI it appears that Oregon is built for the long run better than any other west coast branch program of the new B1G. They are currently 6th in the '24 team recruiting ranking at 24/7 and 8th in '25 so there are quality dudes in the pipeline, especially on defense. Their NIL program is also one of the best in the nation and many insiders were happy when Cristobal left and that the lower profile defensive minded Dan Lanning is the right guy.

I would expect USC to make some changes on the defensive side of the ball following this season. If they can hire the right guys on the defensive side, they will be up there with Oregon.

It's top heavy, but isn't everyone? The B1G has Michigan and Ohio St in tier 1 with Penn St just behind them. If Penn St beats scum, they will jump into Tier 1. Tier 3 is a bunch of flawed, decent teams - your Wisky's and Iowas. Then the bottom - your Indianas.

The SEC has one tier 1 program, but maybe 2-3 tier 2 programs(Bama, Ole Miss, Tenn), and a similar bunch of tier 3 UKs,and the like, and then Vandy.

I look at it like there are typically only a handful of teams at the start of the season that have a legit shot at winning a national championship and maybe 10 that have a shot at making the playoffs. We may have a few more in both categories this year. But let's say it's a dozen teams, they are spread out over 5 conferences. While the B1G and SEC have had the most, the PAC 12 has more than usual this year. But when it all shakes out, there will likely be 4-5 clear tier 1 teams, 5-6 tier 2 teams and those will be distributed across the conferences.

So, I don't like this idea of conference supremacy because of the distribution above, although I think it is fair to note when a conference has more tier 2 or 3 teams than the others. FWIW
Imagine calling Bama a tier 2 program, just like Penn State and Ole Miss. They are no where near the same level. Bama is tier 1 - maybe not this year, but consistently tier 1.

FYI it appears that Oregon is built for the long run better than any other west coast branch program of the new B1G. They are currently 6th in the '24 team recruiting ranking at 24/7 and 8th in '25 so there are quality dudes in the pipeline, especially on defense. Their NIL program is also one of the best in the nation and many insiders were happy when Cristobal left and that the lower profile defensive minded Dan Lanning is the right guy.
Didn’t they not win the conference the last 2 years? Utah won instead? I guess I’ll believe it when I see it. And Nix is done after this year right?

Imagine calling Bama a tier 2 program, just like Penn State and Ole Miss. They are no where near the same level. Bama is tier 1 - maybe not this year, but consistently tier 1.
I hear you. I think they were truly awful at QB and OL early in the year. They have definitely gotten better. I watch every one of their games and this is the first year in a long, long time where Ive felt like they were very vulnerable. They still have trouble running the ball and their QB can be brilliant and a disaster.

If they run the rest of their schedule and beat Ga in the SECCG, they will certainly be in tier 1 again. They would've gotten there in an unusual way, but they would still be there. But I think they are going to get beat again - maybe by LSU. But I wouldnt be shocked if they ran the table. They still have the GOAT.

Didn’t they not win the conference the last 2 years? Utah won instead? I guess I’ll believe it when I see it. And Nix is done after this year right?
Utah isn’t coming to the new Big 10 though, USC, UCLA and Washington are joining Oregon. Of those 4, Oregon is currently has the best chance of success in the new Big 10.

Yes, Nix is gone. They have a current junior (Ty Thompson) and freshman (Austin Novosad, who OSU went after) who should be ready and if not they’ll hit the portal again for a plug n play QB.

Ohio State has an easy schedule next year compared to the others. :

• Aug. 31: Southern Miss
  • Sept. 7: Western Michigan
  • Sept. 21: Marshall
  • Sept. 28: at Michigan State
  • Oct. 5: Iowa
  • Oct. 12: at Oregon
  • Oct. 26: Nebraska
  • Nov. 2: at Penn State
  • Nov. 9: Purdue
  • Nov. 16: at Northwestern
  • Nov. 23: Indiana
  • Nov. 30: Michigan

That is a very easy schedule pending on who the QB is for Oregon, Penn State will lose many of the their NFL prospects from this season, and I fully expect Harbaugh to leave after this season and UM to be in transition. Boo on tOSU though for not having a Power 5 team on the schedule.

That is a very easy schedule pending on who the QB is for Oregon, Penn State will lose many of the their NFL prospects from this season, and I fully expect Harbaugh to leave after this season and UM to be in transition. Boo on tOSU though for not having a Power 5 team on the schedule.
Agree on the '24' non conference, but once we get to '25', the schedule intensifies for quite a few years.

Ask Notre Dame how easy Marshall is.😁

In 2025-2028 you can add Texas and Alabama to their schedule so I think we can give them a break for not having one next season.