Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

As an OSU fan I really worry about this game, Notre Dame is going to pound OSU on the ground probably similar to what Michigan did and have a pass rusher in Foskey who I don't think OSU can block. For all the criticism OSUs defense got last season against the better defenses the offense did not set the world on fire and was limited a lot of times.
That OSU front 7 is going to have to prove that they can hold up under a consistent power running game from a quality team.

Having spent the summer watching last years games and actually studying them, we can talk about what the issues were - and there were more than a few - but against decent to good offenses, the Buckeyes were bad on 1st down, giving up 4+ yards. 2nd and 6 or less puts a defense in a bad spot in terms of setting up for the 2nd down play. There were a ton of 2nd and shorts.

And they were dreadful on 3rd downs of almost any distance to go. Could not get off the field. There was inconsistent pass rush/pressure and opposing OCs tended to be a step ahead in knowing where to attack, indicating that the Bucks were a little too predictable and had some weaknesses that were not easily fixed, at least within the scheme they were running.

Against ND, the first thing I will be looking for will be whether the D can limit yds gained to 3 or less on 1st down and then whether they are unpredictable enough and can apply pressure on passing down and distance.

One thing about ND is that QB can run. If the Bucks do stop the RB run, containing the QB run is another level of problem.

I doubt we will know whether the defense is fixed after ND. I expect the Irish to have some offensive success because of the quality of that OL and overall program, and first games always show some kinks to work out. If the defense looks great, it could reflect that ND has some major kinks to work out. But certainly the game will give us a reference point to start assessing from.

That OSU front 7 is going to have to prove that they can hold up under a consistent power running game from a quality team.

Having spent the summer watching last years games and actually studying them, we can talk about what the issues were - and there were more than a few - but against decent to good offenses, the Buckeyes were bad on 1st down, giving up 4+ yards. 2nd and 6 or less puts a defense in a bad spot in terms of setting up for the 2nd down play. There were a ton of 2nd and shorts.

And they were dreadful on 3rd downs of almost any distance to go. Could not get off the field. There was inconsistent pass rush/pressure and opposing OCs tended to be a step ahead in knowing where to attack, indicating that the Bucks were a little too predictable and had some weaknesses that were not easily fixed, at least within the scheme they were running.

Against ND, the first thing I will be looking for will be whether the D can limit yds gained to 3 or less on 1st down and then whether they are unpredictable enough and can apply pressure on passing down and distance.

One thing about ND is that QB can run. If the Bucks do stop the RB run, containing the QB run is another level of problem.

I doubt we will know whether the defense is fixed after ND. I expect the Irish to have some offensive success because of the quality of that OL and overall program, and first games always show some kinks to work out. If the defense looks great, it could reflect that ND has some major kinks to work out. But certainly the game will give us a reference point to start assessing from.
Just keep ND below 60 and we win ?

I could not agree more, it would not surprise me if Notre Dame ran a spread power option scheme the whole game because I doubt OSU could stop it. Coaching aside OSU does not attract the top defensive tackles in the country to be an elite run defense like a Georgia, Alabama, or even Auburn.

I could not agree more, it would not surprise me if Notre Dame ran a spread power option scheme the whole game because I doubt OSU could stop it. Coaching aside OSU does not attract the top defensive tackles in the country to be an elite run defense like a Georgia, Alabama, or even Auburn.
Jim Knowles is saying what I want to hear. We will see if he can show me what I need to see.

Oh yea of little faith
Bucks 51
ND 17
I am very skeptical of having too high of expectations in first games. I've seen too many where both sides of the ball were sloppy in terms of execution.

Let's take 2 scores off your Ohio State tally and give ND another TD. 37-24. Something like that is what I expect. If it's your score, that will be a very nice beginning to a potentially great season.

Jim Knowles is saying what I want to hear. We will see if he can show me what I need to see.

Agreed, he definitely appears to know what he's doing. The defense albeit in the spring game already looked much better especially against the pass. Saying it and doing it are two seperate issues though

Here is a pretty good analysis of how his defense works.

Agreed, he definitely appears to know what he's doing. The defense albeit in the spring game already looked much better especially against the pass. Saying it and doing it are two seperate issues though
Has to be better than what we had last year. Don't believe players with the rating these young men come to Ohio State with could play any sadder.

Here is a pretty good analysis of how his defense works.

The stuff about replacement in the secondary on coverage, protecting the LB with the LEO, and how stunts and pressures with the LEO as the key confuse opponents OL blocking schemes are very interesting. All of it shows you how disruptive it can be to an offense and QB reads.

It is aggressive. I wonder how aggressive Knowles will be willing to be. At Ohio St they have historically been willing to line up honestly and bet their athletes will beat yours. Don Brown famously said, "We solve our problems with aggression" and Ohio St consistently lit him up. Aggression causes vulnerabilities as well as confusion and disruption. If it is mixed in an unpredictable way, it will work for you. It will be interesting to see how much "aggression" is mixed in with more base, straight up schemes.

The stuff about replacement in the secondary on coverage, protecting the LB with the LEO, and how stunts and pressures with the LEO as the key confuse opponents OL blocking schemes are very interesting. All of it shows you how disruptive it can be to an offense and QB reads.

It is aggressive. I wonder how aggressive Knowles will be willing to be. At Ohio St they have historically been willing to line up honestly and bet their athletes will beat yours. Don Brown famously said, "We solve our problems with aggression" and Ohio St consistently lit him up. Aggression causes vulnerabilities as well as confusion and disruption. If it is mixed in an unpredictable way, it will work for you. It will be interesting to see how much "aggression" is mixed in with more base, straight up schemes.
Typically if one team has better athletes than the other, the better athletes will win, independent of scheme. Michigan continued to lose to us because they had lesser athletes, and a lesser scheme. Our offense is so good, the defense only needs to improve by less than 25%. While the score of last year's Michigan game wasn't close, our defense only needed to be a little bit better to win even that game.

What I would hope we see is that our offense scores early and often. Then our D will have the luxury of being as aggressive as they want, as the opposing team will become more one dimensional.

Typically if one team has better athletes than the other, the better athletes will win, independent of scheme. Michigan continued to lose to us because they had lesser athletes, and a lesser scheme. Our offense is so good, the defense only needs to improve by less than 25%. While the score of last year's Michigan game wasn't close, our defense only needed to be a little bit better to win even that game.

What I would hope we see is that our offense scores early and often. Then our D will have the luxury of being as aggressive as they want, as the opposing team will become more one dimensional.
I'm not even a huge Knowles guy (at least yet) but the D will be vastly improved IMO.

Your OSU-UM assessment is spot on. Even last year, with poor D coaching and inexperience, OSU was the more talented team. This year they have a DC and the inexperience becomes experience and it will show. At least it should.

I am very skeptical of having too high of expectations in first games. I've seen too many where both sides of the ball were sloppy in terms of execution.

Let's take 2 scores off your Ohio State tally and give ND another TD. 37-24. Something like that is what I expect. If it's your score, that will be a very nice beginning to a potentially great season.
I am adding one FG to this, but pretty much agree. I am going 37-27. I have nightmares about previously played non conference games at The Shoe (Texas, Va. Tech, Oklahoma, Oregon). I might be forgetting one, too. Maybe USC? Either way, I think it will be a good game. I think ND will do everything possible to keep the RB and QB running the ball, utilizing as much clock as possible. I hope I am wrong and the Bucks cover. I just have to see this new defense.

I am adding one FG to this, but pretty much agree. I am going 37-27. I have nightmares about previously played non conference games at The Shoe (Texas, Va. Tech, Oklahoma, Oregon). I might be forgetting one, too. Maybe USC? Either way, I think it will be a good game. I think ND will do everything possible to keep the RB and QB running the ball, utilizing as much clock as possible. I hope I am wrong and the Bucks cover. I just have to see this new defense.
Find Irish Breakdown podcast. The guys on there are definitely homers but not so much that they exaggerste ND strengths and ignore weaknesses.

The strength of this team is up front, both lines. That's a wonderful place to start for a football team and it can help mitigate your weaknesses. All 3 units of the ND defense are very good to solid. They are good enough to make Ohio St punt. They only question is how much. Ohio St will make plays in the passing game, but the key will be how well the Bucks run. If they are getting 5 yards a pop rushing, it will be a long evening for the Golden Domers. If they are able to contain the rush, the game will be tight.

ND has 3, perhaps not weaknesses, but big questions. One is the head coach. Can he be good at it? We all think he can, and definitely will be very good eventually, but will he be good Sat night? His team blew a 21 point lead in his first try.

Buchner is another question mark. We know he can run, and that will cause Knowles headaches, but can he make the crucial throws when he needs to.

The last question area is the receiving corps due to, in large part, to a recent injury. Mayer is fantastic, but it's hard to make a living throwing mainly to a TE without threats in the slot and out wide. Styles may give them what they need, but he will have to prove it.

Find Irish Breakdown podcast. The guys on there are definitely homers but not so much that they exaggerste ND strengths and ignore weaknesses.

The strength of this team is up front, both lines. That's a wonderful place to start for a football team and it can help mitigate your weaknesses. All 3 units of the ND defense are very good to solid. They are good enough to make Ohio St punt. They only question is how much. Ohio St will make plays in the passing game, but the key will be how well the Bucks run. If they are getting 5 yards a pop rushing, it will be a long evening for the Golden Domers. If they are able to contain the rush, the game will be tight.

ND has 3, perhaps not weaknesses, but big questions. One is the head coach. Can he be good at it? We all think he can, and definitely will be very good eventually, but will he be good Sat night? His team blew a 21 point lead in his first try.

Buchner is another question mark. We know he can run, and that will cause Knowles headaches, but can he make the crucial throws when he needs to.

The last question area is the receiving corps due to, in large part, to a recent injury. Mayer is fantastic, but it's hard to make a living throwing mainly to a TE without threats in the slot and out wide. Styles may give them what they need, but he will have to prove it.
I watched the BIG Network last night, and something that was mentioned was the possibility of the defense being overly aggressive to start, and Buchner having an opportunity to find gaps and get big runs (possibly). I am not as overly confident as others seem to be on social media. I have seen so many 24+ point predictions. I just don't see that in game 1. I will be thrilled if I am wrong.

I watched the BIG Network last night, and something that was mentioned was the possibility of the defense being overly aggressive to start, and Buchner having an opportunity to find gaps and get big runs (possibly). I am not as overly confident as others seem to be on social media. I have seen so many 24+ point predictions. I just don't see that in game 1. I will be thrilled if I am wrong.
Defensive aggression is a powerful tool - but it has to apply disruption and pressure to an offense. When it fails, it makes you vulnerable to getting gashed.

No one knows how Knowles is going to play it. I suspect that he will be somewhat limited as long as the D is holding up in base and nickel. He has more talented players out there than he ever has had. But this is a big unknown.

Yeah, Buchner drops back to pass and the outside rush goes past and the blitz gets picked up and he can make some big plays. ND will probably do some option, QB run, RPO, and let him scramble when he wants. Knowles will try to counter with disciplined rush lanes and contain with a spy. Gonna be fun to see how this part of the game plays out.

Knowles will make Buchner uncomfortable. Load the box and make the true sophomore who was essentially not allowed to throw last season beat you in the air. Unless Buchner has had an amazing transformation from last year I do not see him beating the Bucks in this manner.

While having a strong line helps for this, they have talent but unproven talent at RB as well. Their 2 leading returning rushers have a combined 108 rushing attempts for 450 yards last year. Neither eclipsed 4.5 yards/attempt. Although having a running threat like Buchner vs. a statue like Coan will likely help those rushing numbers.

Notre Dame is going to make mincemeat out of Ohio State. It might not be tomorrow, but it might be in the 2022 CFP semifinals or it might be in 2023 at Notre Dame. But it’s going to happen because everyone is acting like this Ohio State team is God’s gift to football.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Notre Dame is going to make mincemeat out of Ohio State. It might not be tomorrow, but it might be in the 2022 CFP semifinals or it might be in 2023 at Notre Dame. But it’s going to happen because everyone is acting like this Ohio State team is God’s gift to football.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
LOL. That team up north said that for 8 years before it came true!! But hey at least they are 2-15 in the last 17...