Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

Agreed. Lots of folks also think Hicks will be in the fold right away as well. I think Powers will need a year with Marotti to fill out physically, although I think his football IQ will make him a valuable resource when he's ready. The development of this group will be intriguing as well. This will be the real after-the-fact indicator on Washington's recruiting chops vs on field results. Can Knowles and the other new coaches harness and translate those HS blue-chippers talent in a new scheme. Speaking of Knowles, I will also be interested to see if McCalister will see the field early and often as a stabilizing, veteran force with scheme familiarity. Hopefully this will keep the young pups on the backend competing at a high-level to cannibalize some of his snaps.
How about the kid from Ironton? Any word on how he’s progressed?

tOSU is getting a new design for the football field in 2022 and it will be one of these>

273524327_10159490157309799_8541325028170844462_n.jpg

I like the block "O" at midfield as it works for both sides of the stadium In the end zone I like the throwback diamond look in the 2nd column 2nd row from the top.

From cleveland.com, which publishes more articles on Ohio State football than all other Ohio papers combined:

So OSU settled on a final design that takes a more classic and conservative approach. The field will remain green. The midfield design will be a simple Block O and the scarlet end zones will read “Ohio State” and “Buckeyes.” Buckeye Leaves centered at each 35 yard line replaced the Xs which formerly marked the kickoff locations.

The only other logos will be Big Ten (B1G) insignias a the 25 yard lines. A gray stripe will now border the entirety of the field to help those scarlet end zones pop. That stripe will feature a black/white/scarlet stripe pattern in the back of the end zone.

Eagle eyed fans may notice other subtle changes. The border around the midfield Block O is gray, not black. The fonts in the end zones follow the official Ohio State logos, and the ones on field match the number fonts used on the player uniforms.

But there’s no Brutus waving a flag or climbing out of the Block O, as two of the fan submissions suggested. Nothing on the new field would have been out of place when Archie Griffin and Rex Kern played on it.

Ohio State solicited fan suggestions for the new field design beginning last October and received over 1,300. While some would have required a significant departure from tradition, OSU said some elements came up frequently in those submissions, including the Block O at midfield (59%), Buckeye leaves (48%) and scarlet end zones (46%) instead of gray (21%).

The new field will be installed in Ohio Stadium in June and July. The same surface will also replace the indoor field at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, and that work begins in April.

Fans will get their first look at the new field during the Sept. 3 season opener against Notre Dame. For the 100th season of Ohio Stadium, OSU went for a revamp, not revolution.
In addition to the two IB mentioned (dizziness anyone), I'm glad they didn't pick either the purple or the red one in the last column.

Kudos on the winner. Clean and crisp.

Jeremy Birmingham is a long time OSU insider and he’s been really high on Curry. I think he’s made that NB comparison and said if he played in the south, Curry would be a 5*. Hope he and Curry are right.

And yeah LB will be very interesting. Tejada Mitchell and Gaoteote announced they were returning but I’d be shocked if either were anything more than ST players. Mitchell Melton has gotten some good reviews from coaches but can’t stay healthy. Cody Simon hurt his shoulder and never looked the same, but showed promise before that. Eichenberg really showed out against Utah but I think he’s a better fit for Big10/Georgia style of play vs. what they will see against Bama, Clemson, etc. and then of course there’s Trayunum, who for me is a total unknown. I think Eichenberg and Chambers will be the starters but could see Melton, Simon or Trayunum (from what I’ve read, at least on Trayunum) bumping Eichenberg at some point this off-season/early in the season.
I have heard Cade Stover mentioned as a possible LEO candidate.

Not sure what an Assistant Director of Player Personnel does in college, but.............

Jeremy Birmingham is a long time OSU insider and he’s been really high on Curry. I think he’s made that NB comparison and said if he played in the south, Curry would be a 5*. Hope he and Curry are right.

And yeah LB will be very interesting. Tejada Mitchell and Gaoteote announced they were returning but I’d be shocked if either were anything more than ST players. Mitchell Melton has gotten some good reviews from coaches but can’t stay healthy. Cody Simon hurt his shoulder and never looked the same, but showed promise before that. Eichenberg really showed out against Utah but I think he’s a better fit for Big10/Georgia style of play vs. what they will see against Bama, Clemson, etc. and then of course there’s Trayunum, who for me is a total unknown. I think Eichenberg and Chambers will be the starters but could see Melton, Simon or Trayunum (from what I’ve read, at least on Trayunum) bumping Eichenberg at some point this off-season/early in the season.
I have zero inside knowledge, but it would not shock me to see Sonny Styles follow the Sam Hubbard path.

Sonny is 6'4" and 215, a monster safety in HS, like Hubbard was. Hubbard got in the OSU weight/strength program and instantly became a LB and shortly thereafter became a great edge pass rusher on the DL. Sonny's frame looks like it could support 40 pounds of muscle. I think he is going to be a beast, and possibly start at LB next fall. Just a hunch.

Not sure what an Assistant Director of Player Personnel does in college, but.............

Player Personnel is what the name says it is, the person that helps manage the roster. They are very important in making sure they have a balanced roster in not only position distribution but also with regards to the class eligibility so there is always talent in the pipeline at each position. Also with the transfer portal need to know where each player stands and how a key guy going out or coming in can affect not only that year's roster but also the next couple years. A lot more complicated than the pros because you don't get to pick up key guys through a draft, you need to be able to recruit them so they chose you.

so do guys taking advantage of the extra covid year to play, does that count towards the 85 man roster?

Good question. Did it count this year?
That extra year did not count against the 85-scholarship maximum, meaning coaches could be carrying more than 100 players on scholarship. I know there was a lot of trepidation going into recruiting around max numbers allowed, and whether a 32-recruit max situation would allow coaches to "mitigate but not solve," the problem. I'm not sure where this landed though.

i thought they said the buckeyes are about 7-8 players over the 85 man limit.... but i thought a few of those players are taking the extra covid year

I would have preferred to see gray endzones and a silhouette of the state underneath the logo at midfield, but more important than the design is that the turf was terrible last season and badly needed to be replaced.

For anyone that hasn't noticed, it seems like they've added a ton of support staff so far this offseason.

I think Hicks will see a lot of playing time early on

Wow. Sad news on Harry Miller. He has medically retired from football, citing mental health. His bizarre absences throughout last season and into this year now make sense. He has a lengthy Twitter post to explain. Struggling with thoughts of suicide, he is quoted as saying, "If not for (Day) and the staff, my words would not be a reflection. They would be evidence in a post-mortem." It sounds as if he's going to stay close to the program in order to attempt to help other players who might be struggling with mental health issues as well. Best of luck to this kid. Hopefully he finds peace and is able to get the support he needs. As a 4.0 student in the college of engineering, I'm sure his future will be bright outside of football.

Glad for Harry Miller to be getting the help he needs.

It has to be tough - a bunch of 20 year olds that are already highly driven and motivated are probably tough on themselves. Then they read all the crap on social media by a bunch of negative haters who are overly critical of everything OSU players do (or don't do).

I know step one when the kids get on campus is the coaches and counselors tell them they need to disconnect, but they all live there and I'm sure read a lot of nonsense and hate posted by so called "fans". Surprised this has not happened more. Sad state of affairs...

Wow. Sad news on Harry Miller. He has medically retired from football, citing mental health. His bizarre absences throughout last season and into this year now make sense. He has a lengthy Twitter post to explain. Struggling with thoughts of suicide, he is quoted as saying, "If not for (Day) and the staff, my words would not be a reflection. They would be evidence in a post-mortem." It sounds as if he's going to stay close to the program in order to attempt to help other players who might be struggling with mental health issues as well. Best of luck to this kid. Hopefully he finds peace and is able to get the support he needs. As a 4.0 student in the college of engineering, I'm sure his future will be bright outside of football.

Just saw him on the Today show this morning - seems like a great kid, a heartbreaking story.

We do a crappy job of treating mental health in this country. Add the pressures of being a student athlete and I get it. For most college athletes these days the university owns your arse. Especially football players at big time programs. Up at 5:30AM most days and structure is not done until 9PM. This is even in the off season. These kids get 3.0+ grades and are constantly on the go. Ever wonder why you rarely hear about college kids getting into drunken fights and assualting people? Because they are on lockdown. Those days are over. Universities pay good money to have people guide these kids on social media (monitoring their stuff) and where they should go and where they should not go.

OSU pro day today. Scouts will also get an early look at Stroud who, along with Cardale Jones, will be throwing today. Hopefully everyone makes it out healthy, as much as I dislike Michigan you hate to see what happened to Ojabo during Michigan’s pro day. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Surely none of the problem comes from middle-aged clowns in Wal-mart jerseys posting their expert analysis of 19 year old kids on sports forums.

Surely none of the problem comes from middle-aged clowns in Wal-mart jerseys posting their expert analysis of 19 year old kids on sports forums.
None of that is a problem unless you let it be a problem. People that choose to allow in the public via Twitter, Facebook, etc, have to know there will be some good and some bad coming their way if they are in any sort of public performance position. You learn to deal with it appropriately, or just cut it off entirely if you can’t handle the criticism, but the public is entitled to have an opinion about you…even if it’s wholly uninformed and unproductive.

Miller clearly has some mental health issues and pressures beyond the norm and I’m glad he is getting the treatment he needs and is using his platform to take some of the stigma away of seeking help if you find yourself in a mental health crisis.

Reactions: y2h