Ohio HS Talent in D1

As someone mentioned, Paddock beat Dake in the state finals. Dake chose Cornell and Paddock chose Ohio State. So according to Old42, Paddock chose wrestling over education and Dake chose education over wrestling…..we see how their careers worked out and that awesome theory…

As someone mentioned, Paddock beat Dake in the state finals. Dake chose Cornell and Paddock chose Ohio State. So according to Old42, Paddock chose wrestling over education and Dake chose education over wrestling…..we see how their careers worked out and that awesome theory…
LOL Congratulations on your mention of 1. New math quiz for you pencil neck ...Lets start comparing BIG 10 AA'S and Champs against the Ivy League programs. Then once you get that math lesson, we'll move on to Elite recruits 3-4 x State champs with Fargo championship or high placements compared to other D1 wrestlers not as Elite, multiple placers? ...1 x Champs who win NCAA titles? Let's see what a math whiz you really are on all these up and comers beating out Elite guys who choose wrestling as their priority lol .

LOL Congratulations on your mention of 1. New math quiz for you pencil neck ...Lets start comparing BIG 10 AA'S and Champs against the Ivy League programs. Then once you get that math lesson, we'll move on to Elite recruits 3-4 x State champs with Fargo championship or high placements compared to other D1 wrestlers not as Elite, multiple placers? ...1 x Champs who win NCAA titles? Let's see what a math whiz you really are on all these up and comers beating out Elite guys who choose wrestling as their priority lol .
Name calling? How adult of you.
We are still waiting for the dozens ("I could name examples in the dozens") of examples you said you can name on 6/25 to back your point.
We'll wait.

This was not your original argument. The above post is information we all know... for the most part, elite HS kids win in college. You claimed to know the thoughts and feelings of elite kids who didn't pan out in college, which was they just wanted to focus on education instead of wrestling.

This was not your original argument. The above post is information we all know... for the most part, elite HS kids win in college. You claimed to know the thoughts and feelings of elite kids who didn't pan out in college, which was they just wanted to focus on education instead of wrestling.
"You claimed to know the thoughts and feelings of elite kids who didn't pan out in college, which was they just wanted to focus on education instead of wrestling.' I dont know? But you do? lol Yes I've spoke to many elite recruits after college, I've also spoke to many coaches who I personally know over a few beers after rounds at NCAA'S........MANY of those coaches would substantiate my statement is correct. MOST elite recruits who dont AA chose to put other things before wrestling, and choosing an IVY education over many full ride offers to wrestle in the Big 10 is a very good indicator of that. End of story . As for " the never made a bad call ref" ...I'll name dozens once you admit to the dozens of questionable calls you undoubtedly made where subjectivity came into play, and rock paper scissors was your guide.

As for " the never made a bad call ref" ...I'll name dozens once you admit to the dozens of questionable calls you undoubtedly made where subjectivity came into play, and rock paper scissors was your guide.
What a complete troll.
Since you can't seem to keep your thoughts or stories straight, I will assume that you directed your last line at me?
If that is accurate, I will say that I do not recall where I made a statement to that effect or anything close to it. Maybe getting old has dulled my memory?
Actually your tactic seems to be to deflect to another argument so you don't have to back up the ridiculous claims your make. BTW, "questionable" does not always mean "wrong".
Given that, I will play. I will admit to DOZENS of questionable calls. I often rely on rocks, paper, scissors for my decisions.
Now, give us the dozens of names on your list. After all, you made the claim. If you can't do it, at least man up and admit you have no clue what you are talking about and are just trying to stir a pot.
Since I am quite confident you can't do it, I am done.

Last edited:

How many OH HS natives are there?

I'll bite. 2017. Didn't Campbell have a good deal signed? Didn't ball? Didn't Lawson? Didn't mead? Didn't Mattox? Shie? Fenton and disabato haven't reached the ncaa I don't think. Keaton was a signed with osu. Crace was a big ten kid I think. Between that group there are guys who could have been great at college level but chose not to have the focus on reaching that. . Again not a knock on any of those kids. But there could be a ncaa all American or 3 among them. That's skimming 2017... donathan from mason..
Cam Kelly was his best college year his freshman year in college? Wiederholt from b brook-- Traub compared to kameron teacher,vough or frye at the college level? Didnt mattrox handle demas in a state finals? Did their priorities equal out?

did wilson come in to college as hyped? did he surpass them all with a higher level of continued motivation?
was byrd a lot more heralded then crace or mattox or lawson?

this is NOT A KNOCK ON ANY OF THOSE GUYS> but there is a lot to be said about to old 142s point

Last edited:
LOL Congratulations on your mention of 1. New math quiz for you pencil neck ...Lets start comparing BIG 10 AA'S and Champs against the Ivy League programs. Then once you get that math lesson, we'll move on to Elite recruits 3-4 x State champs with Fargo championship or high placements compared to other D1 wrestlers not as Elite, multiple placers? ...1 x Champs who win NCAA titles? Let's see what a math whiz you really are on all these up and comers beating out Elite guys who choose wrestling as their priority lol

What a complete troll.
Since you can't seem to keep your thoughts or stories straight, I will assume that you directed your last line at me?
If that is accurate, I will say that I do not recall where I made a statement to that effect or anything close to it. Maybe getting old has dulled my memory?
Actually your tactic seems to be to deflect to another argument so you don't have to back up the ridiculous claims your make. BTW, "questionable" does not always mean "wrong".
Given that, I will play. I will admit to DOZENS of questionable calls. I often rely on rocks, paper, scissors for my decisions.
Now, give us the dozens of names on your list. After all, you made the claim. If you can't do it, at least man up and admit you have no clue what you are talking about and are just trying to stir a pot.
Since I am quite confident you can't do it, I am done.
LOL You're too funny. Well you do have a few forum pals hit the "auto" like by association, not validity of course ;)

Let's break this down a bit ...You're genius claim says ( BTW I aced logic in college) Every elite recruit that doesn't AA is due to other lesser recruits after 18 - 19 years old becoming better than them, and or their Elite talent dwindling. Hmmmm...This is an interesting assumption, but somehow of course "you know what you're talking about" by that guess? LOL. Additionally your assumption is ....it's impossible to conclude Elite ( best of the best recruits say top 5 in their weightclass nationally at least) , high Fargo placement multiple times 3-4 x state champs) wrestlers who do not AA in college NEVER could possibly have anything to do with lack of desire and commitment, or changing priorities?? ....It is strictly due to others with far less resumes .....EVEN AT 18 YEARS OLD...all of a sudden jump levels?? It's crazy you can't see what a dumb -umption that is. Since the far and away majority of NCAA champs, multi placers etc ....are EASILY the same ELITE guys who excelled at 18 years old ...I mean I'm guessing over 80%, maybe even 85% of NCAA champs multi placers etc fit the resume I stated as Elite. The rest are likely state champs, multi placers ...maybe a Fargo placement or 2....it's not like they were far from "Elite". My assertion is that MANY an Elite recruit lose the desire to continue to excel, which opens the door for a FEW lesser recruits to occasionally reach the podium, much more logical especially since Ive spoken to many a college coach about this exact subject. Naming "dozens" would be easy, some of them would be affirmed to fit the description of "losing desire in the sport" via conversations....but naming others I don't think it's fair to name names, many have already been named. In closing I stand by my statement...." choosing an IVY education, or a few other top institutions " substantiates MOST ELITE recruit's potential to start giving education the priority instead of wrestling.....If you want to challenge me on that I'd have to compare AA'S in the Big 10 versus the Ivies ...you dont want to go there. You select a Big 10 school to "wrestle first", it's a job you got paid for that comes with the best training partners, facilities and coaching, not so hard to understand for most . Sooo oh perfect referee.....and protector of all "perfect call always " referees ...You have a nice day ;)

I'll bite. 2017. Didn't Campbell have a good deal signed? Didn't ball? Didn't Lawson? Didn't mead? Didn't Mattox? Shie? Fenton and disabato haven't reached the ncaa I don't think. Keaton was a signed with osu. Crace was a big ten kid I think. Between that group there are guys who could have been great at college level but chose not to have the focus on reaching that. . Again not a knock on any of those kids. But there could be a ncaa all American or 3 among them. That's skimming 2017... donathan from mason..
Cam Kelly was his best college year his freshman year in college? Wiederholt from b brook-- Traub compared to kameron teacher,vough or frye at the college level? Didnt mattrox handle demas in a state finals? Did their priorities equal out?

did wilson come in to college as hyped? did he surpass them all with a higher level of continued motivation?

this is NOT A KNOCK ON ANY OF THOSE GUYS> but there is a lot to be said about to old 142s point
Seems like we've veered off course a bit from the original discussion, but some of the athletes that you mentioned underscore the point that D1 wrestling is hard, and by definition, those that achieve AA status are exceptional. Thanks for bringing up -Tariq Wilson! He's a great example of a 0 time state champ who continued to develop in college. His QF against Kaid Brock in Cleveland remains one of my favorite NCAA moments of all time. Pat Popolozio at NC state is a case study in building a top program by finding those diamonds in the rough recruits and developing them into superstars (see Kevin Jack, Tommy Gannt, Mike Macavello, and Ohio boy Max Rohskopf). Did those guys have motivation- sure! But that's because they bought into the program and culture that Popolizio built. He made them believe and showed them the way. Same with Koll (now Grey ) at Cornell, Kolat (now Sentes) at Campbell, Ayres at Princeton, and Scott at UNC to name a few. In contrast, Ohio U, Kent, Michigan State, and Indiana for example don't seem to have the best track records of developing or retaining talent. Of course, there are a lot of reasons that recruits don't pan out and I'd guess that most kids have their decision made for them by their performance in the wrestling room or the classroom. Sometimes a kid just chooses the wrong school for them for a variety of reasons. A few of the names that you mentioned had some red flags (academic, behavior), others are still grinding and will finish with solid college careers - and hopefully, and most importantly a degree.

Also not that it matters, but Mattox did not beat Demas in the state finals. David Carr beat Mattox, (and Demas the year before). Carr was and is the most heralded recruit of that era- he's the complete package. It's hard to argue that Bryd and Andonian are not also super-elite (Demas too obviously)! You asked - was Byrd a lot more heralded than Crace or Mattox or Lawson? 100% yes! He was then and is certainly now.

Last edited:
traub surpassed teacher, vough, frye, myers and campbell with a seemingly increased desire to be great at the college level. same with wilson, same with others. to say that old 142 doesnt have a point is just the yappi bullying by the old wrestlers and refs

traub surpassed teacher, vough, frye, myers and campbell with a seemingly increased desire to be great at the college level. same with wilson, same with others. to say that old 142 doesnt have a point is just the yappi bullying by the old wrestlers and refs
Are those instances of the other wrestlers not caring anymore or kids finding a great situation to succeed at the next level?

Simple discussion is going on, no bullying so relax on that... the claim that Old 142 knows the psyche of elite HS not caring about wrestling and that is why don't succeed is a tenuous one at best. My counter has been there are a plethora of reasons and more instances of elite HS kids getting hurt, getting in trouble, family life, etc.

a
Are those instances of the other wrestlers not caring anymore or kids finding a great situation to succeed at the next level?

Simple discussion is going on, no bullying so relax on that... the claim that Old 142 knows the psyche of elite HS not caring about wrestling and that is why don't succeed is a tenuous one at best. My counter has been there are a plethora of reasons and more instances of elite HS kids getting hurt, getting in trouble, family life, etc.
absolutely there are a plethora of reasons. To say that one of them isnt that they simply dont have the drive to be great like that did at the hs level is simply being obtuse. is it the only reason, no. But like you said there are a plethora of reasons. He stated one of them. Getting in trouble, family life, etc, can be carried back to the fact that being great isnt the number one or 2 priority any more.

The 2017 crop from Ohio was special....

I agree with YankeeCap, relax on the bullying charge. We're all big boys having a friendly discussion. We know OLD142 is intentionally provocative and we love him for it. I think the reason people jump on his comments is that he says crazy things that he can't back up, and when he gets called out he doubles down guns blazing. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about, I feel like we're all saying essentially the same thing in slightly different ways...

OLD142 &wrestefan - I'll move on, but I would love it if you could clarify/defend a few of your statements.....

" There are guys with better resumes than Andonian and Byrd in HS that just don't prioritize wrestling anymore" - I'm asking who are you referring to? Outside of David Carr and Dom Demas- who are doing pretty well for themselves - there aren't many from that era who had significantly better HS resumes than Byrd & Andonian. They checked all the boxes that one would have to in order to be considered "elite" recruits: multiple-time state champs, Fargo AAs (Andonian- champ & Byrd -finalist), Ironman placers (Byrd finalist - so by your definition only loss was against that guy standing on the mountain top), nationally ranked by all ranking services, world team ! What else could these guys have done in their career?

Guys like Jaden Mattox, Zac Donathan, Trevor Lawson, and Jordan Crace -were without question super studs in HS, but is it possible that maybe they didn't prioritize wrestling even before college as much as the guys who are succeeding at the college level today?

"More often than not it's not that guys get "better" than guys who beat them in HS, they just care more about college wrestling" - I disagree, in the right situation an athlete can develop and jump levels in college. Tariq Wilson is one example, others off the top of my head.... Ethan Smith, Kevin Jack, Dylan Palacio, Gary Traub, Josh Heil....I would argue even Kyle Dake.

"Not "panning out" often is simply a choice concerning desire" - Could be, burnout is a real thing. After training at a high level since 5 years old working toward the goal of getting to NCAA D1 level, and then realizing the real grind is just beginning, who could blame a young man - who might be on a 20% scholarship (or less) to hang it up. But it could also be many other things, talent, lack of development, injuries, and all the other life issues mentioned before. None of us can pretend to have insight into anyone's situation -let alone dozens of people's personal situations. I hope some of you saw the recent Quinn Kinner article where he openly talks about his mental health struggles at Ohio State. It's not that he simply chose to not have the desire, in fact, it was kind of the opposite, he was struggling with a serious mental issue (bi-polar), and it took a serious toll on him. Good for him for recognizing it, persevering, getting help, and putting himself in a better situation where he can succeed. I am rooting for him big time!

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/25801

It's a fact that a tiny % of the world population could make it through an Ivy League school- let alone compete in a D1 sport at the same time. Big 10 and ACC schools are very competitive academically. When a program invests scarce scholarship money into a student-athlete it's in their best interest to not let them fail- and I would suspect the U. Illinois and VT have amazing academic support to make sure that priorities remain in balance -ie- mandatory study tables, tutors, academic advisors, etc. I think it was Gable who said it first, but - paraphrasing " there is wrestling, academics and social life- pick two because you can't do three" - and he's right, Lord knows that I tried.

Last edited:
i like friendly banter. (especially sitting bored in airports after flight delays when coming back from utah). What statement did I make that you would like for me to defend?

Some good responses, there is no doubt there is a "gang" mentality here though lol. I have no real "beef" with the "ref" and most do a very good job. However .....Ref's make mistakes, sometimes that costs kids matches. It's a big deal to the athletes, and ego's shouldn't ever get in the way of making or changing a call, I'll add normally it does not. Most ref's do an admirable job. A couple of obvious bad calls I've seen over the years involve a fleeing the mat call which was not called TWICE decided a big match. Wrestler A TWICE secured a single leg and during the process of finishing to score Wrestler B takes multiple hops to get out of bounds ....there is no subjectivity to that call generally speaking. Some others involve "injury" occurring during being scored upon, where it was obvious the "cry out" was to avoid being scored on or pinned, the rules changed a bit since then ....BUT this should be an ABSOLUTE awarding of points to the wrestler who did nothing illegal to score and win. Especially after maybe 30 seconds the "injured" wrestler is competing like a man possessed, everyone knows what went on there , except the "injured" wrestlers parents and coach perhaps, who know but won't dare admit it for obvious reasons. Some ref's do show bias in their calls from time to time, they're clearly not going to admit that.
I agree with YankeeCap, relax on the bullying charge. We're all big boys having a friendly discussion. We know OLD142 is intentionally provocative and we love him for it. I think the reason people jump on his comments is that he says crazy things that he can't back up, and when he gets called out he doubles down guns blazing. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about, I feel like we're all saying essentially the same thing in slightly different ways...

OLD142 &wrestefan - I'll move on, but I would love it if you could clarify/defend a few of your statements.....

" There are guys with better resumes than Andonian and Byrd in HS that just don't prioritize wrestling anymore" - I'm asking who are you referring to? Outside of David Carr and Dom Demas- who are doing pretty well for themselves - there aren't many from that era who had significantly better HS resumes than Byrd & Andonian. They checked all the boxes that one would have to in order to be considered "elite" recruits: multiple-time state champs, Fargo AAs (Andonian- champ & Byrd -finalist), Ironman placers (Byrd finalist - so by your definition only loss was against that guy standing on the mountain top), nationally ranked by all ranking services, world team ! What else could these guys have done in their career?

Guys like Jaden Mattox, Zac Donathan, Trevor Lawson, and Jordan Crace -were without question super studs in HS, but is it possible that maybe they didn't prioritize wrestling even before college as much as the guys who are succeeding at the college level today?

"More often than not it's not that guys get "better" than guys who beat them in HS, they just care more about college wrestling" - I disagree, in the right situation an athlete can develop and jump levels in college. Tariq Wilson is one example, others off the top of my head.... Ethan Smith, Kevin Jack, Dylan Palacio, Gary Traub, Josh Heil....I would argue even Kyle Dake.

"Not "panning out" often is simply a choice concerning desire" - Could be, burnout is a real thing. After training at a high level since 5 years old working toward the goal of getting to NCAA D1 level, and then realizing the real grind is just beginning, who could blame a young man - who might be on a 20% scholarship (or less) to hang it up. But it could also be many other things, talent, lack of development, injuries, and all the other life issues mentioned before. None of us can pretend to have insight into anyone's situation -let alone dozens of people's personal situations. I hope some of you saw the recent Quinn Kinner article where he openly talks about his mental health struggles at Ohio State. It's not that he simply chose to not have the desire, in fact, it was kind of the opposite, he was struggling with a serious mental issue (bi-polar), and it took a serious toll on him. Good for him for recognizing it, persevering, getting help, and putting himself in a better situation where he can succeed. I am rooting for him big time!

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/25801

It's a fact that a tiny % of the world population could make it through an Ivy League school- let alone compete in a D1 sport at the same time. Big 10 and ACC schools are very competitive academically. When a program invests scarce scholarship money into a student-athlete it's in their best interest to not let them fail- and I would suspect the U. Illinois and VT have amazing academic support to make sure that priorities remain in balance -ie- mandatory study tables, tutors, academic advisors, etc. I think it was Gable who said it first, but - paraphrasing " there is wrestling, academics and social life- pick two because you can't do three" - and he's right, Lord knows that I tried.
"I think the reason people jump on his comments is that he says crazy things that he can't back up" LOL . Wow brutal assessment ....Actually I can back up many, if not all of my statements, with FAR more people involved in the sport like myself for over 40 years, than there are on this tiny group here lol As a competitor HS and college ( although short lived due to Title 9 BS ) a coach, Ohio's Jr national team, some college coaching 4 years, declined an invitation to coach at 1 of the best programs in the state all time. I speak, admittedly more rare these days, to a multitude of coaches in college I coached against at times, and see at NCAA'S ...Ironman etc. I can tell you FAR MORE of them agree with me on every issue I've opined on the not agreed. Some of my opining is based on discussions with them......A few points I just cant wrap my head around you claim I "cant back up" 1. So no ref has ever made a bad call costing a competitor a loss that shouldn't have been? Come on now....I've seen it plenty..as well of plenty of ref's with far bigger echo's than they should have. 2. Often with ELITE recruits...again lets say 3-4 timers, ranked top 5 in their weight class as a senior, senior national champ or finalist ...multi x Drago high placer, world team member etc. SOME of them just decide they no longer want to put wrestling and excelling at wrestling #1...! How hard is that to believe?? Obviously I can prove /validate that MOST elite recruits continue to beat lesser recruits based on % of AA'S whom are those same ELITE guys! Geezuz lol You ,mention some guys who took plenty of losses ...but had some good bracketing gods who assisted them on a low place. Also Tariq Wilson has an odd style ...what's he 6 feet tall at 141? He took plenty of losses but yes he overachieved IMO based on a style that was unique. I also NEVER said that a lesser recruit can't improve at all....I said that take an ELITE guy ( the description I gave above elite) at 18 years old , put them b both in a program with the same workout partners coaching desire etc ..Those ELITE guys continue to beat the lesser recruit over 90% of the time. BUT if the ELITE guy takes liking to partying, or is struggling with academics and competing...quite a few of them decide it's just not worth it as an adult to give the amount of effort necessary to continue to win everything in wrestling. Ok im done with this ...yes the horse is battered and bruised ...hopefully on his last breathe lol Next topic?????

Some good responses, there is no doubt there is a "gang" mentality here though lol. I have no real "beef" with the "ref" and most do a very good job. However .....Ref's make mistakes, sometimes that costs kids matches. It's a big deal to the athletes, and ego's shouldn't ever get in the way of making or changing a call, I'll add normally it does not. Most ref's do an admirable job. A couple of obvious bad calls I've seen over the years involve a fleeing the mat call which was not called TWICE decided a big match. Wrestler A TWICE secured a single leg and during the process of finishing to score Wrestler B takes multiple hops to get out of bounds ....there is no subjectivity to that call generally speaking. Some others involve "injury" occurring during being scored upon, where it was obvious the "cry out" was to avoid being scored on or pinned, the rules changed a bit since then ....BUT this should be an ABSOLUTE awarding of points to the wrestler who did nothing illegal to score and win. Especially after maybe 30 seconds the "injured" wrestler is competing like a man possessed, everyone knows what went on there , except the "injured" wrestlers parents and coach perhaps, who know but won't dare admit it for obvious reasons. Some ref's do show bias in their calls from time to time, they're clearly not going to admit that.

"I think the reason people jump on his comments is that he says crazy things that he can't back up" LOL . Wow brutal assessment ....Actually I can back up many, if not all of my statements, with FAR more people involved in the sport like myself for over 40 years, than there are on this tiny group here lol As a competitor HS and college ( although short lived due to Title 9 BS ) a coach, Ohio's Jr national team, some college coaching 4 years, declined an invitation to coach at 1 of the best programs in the state all time. I speak, admittedly more rare these days, to a multitude of coaches in college I coached against at times, and see at NCAA'S ...Ironman etc. I can tell you FAR MORE of them agree with me on every issue I've opined on the not agreed. Some of my opining is based on discussions with them......A few points I just cant wrap my head around you claim I "cant back up" 1. So no ref has ever made a bad call costing a competitor a loss that shouldn't have been? Come on now....I've seen it plenty..as well of plenty of ref's with far bigger echo's than they should have. 2. Often with ELITE recruits...again lets say 3-4 timers, ranked top 5 in their weight class as a senior, senior national champ or finalist ...multi x Drago high placer, world team member etc. SOME of them just decide they no longer want to put wrestling and excelling at wrestling #1...! How hard is that to believe?? Obviously I can prove /validate that MOST elite recruits continue to beat lesser recruits based on % of AA'S whom are those same ELITE guys! Geezuz lol You ,mention some guys who took plenty of losses ...but had some good bracketing gods who assisted them on a low place. Also Tariq Wilson has an odd style ...what's he 6 feet tall at 141? He took plenty of losses but yes he overachieved IMO based on a style that was unique. I also NEVER said that a lesser recruit can't improve at all....I said that take an ELITE guy ( the description I gave above elite) at 18 years old , put them b both in a program with the same workout partners coaching desire etc ..Those ELITE guys continue to beat the lesser recruit over 90% of the time. BUT if the ELITE guy takes liking to partying, or is struggling with academics and competing...quite a few of them decide it's just not worth it as an adult to give the amount of effort necessary to continue to win everything in wrestling. Ok im done with this ...yes the horse is battered and bruised ...hopefully on his last breathe lol Next topic?????
Sorry, can't let it go just yet. Nobody is arguing that Refs blow calls from time to time, or that kids burn out from TMW.

You said athletes don't develop in college - Tariq Wilson is ONE example of kid that clearly did. You have to at least acknowledge T. Wilson's career accomplishments- 4x AA (@ 3 weights), 2x ACC champ, over 100 D1 college wins, + 800 winning %. All this from a kid who was barely a top 100 recruit. "Over achieved" due to being tall and odd style? Isn't wrestling all about style matchups and adjustments? Help from the bracketing Gods? 4 times, really? Took plenty of losses? 24 losses in 5 years at the D1 level? I'm curious what does it take for you to give a kid some credit?

tariq should be a true inspiration for his area. I hope that he would one day return and help emerge the area. With that said, I think tariq strengthens the premise that someone that was not one of the elite recruits can surpass those that may not want it as bad at the college level.

Sorry, can't let it go just yet. Nobody is arguing that Refs blow calls from time to time, or that kids burn out from TMW.

You said athletes don't develop in college - Tariq Wilson is ONE example of kid that clearly did. You have to at least acknowledge T. Wilson's career accomplishments- 4x AA (@ 3 weights), 2x ACC champ, over 100 D1 college wins, + 800 winning %. All this from a kid who was barely a top 100 recruit. "Over achieved" due to being tall and odd style? Isn't wrestling all about style matchups and adjustments? Help from the bracketing Gods? 4 times, really? Took plenty of losses? 24 losses in 5 years at the D1 level? I'm curious what does it take for you to give a kid some credit?
" Help from the bracketing Gods? 4 times, really? Took plenty of losses? 24 losses in 5 years at the D1 level? I'm curious what does it take for you to give a kid some credit?" This statement was not directed at Tariq entirely, some low placing AA's do get help from bracketing, of course I still give them credit, and Tariq obviously deserves credit. I NEVER said no athlete can develop/improve in college.....I said and will repeat...if an ELITE recruit has the same desire, same high level training partners( almost always in a Big 10 program) same coaching level..as a lesser recruit, its extremely rare they will improve and surpass that hard working elite recruit, it just doesnt happen OFTEN, and when it does it's not a 2x low state placer, Fargo top 8 guy who is beating an Elite recruit from Iowa Okie state PSU....THOSE GUYS ARE TYPICALLY MOTIVATED to continue to excel......that doesn't mean they cant go to class, but they can surely take an easier path of education basically to continue to WRESTLE at a high level. Anyone who doesnt get those elite guys choosing Ivy education ....Harvard...Penn...Columbia....etc etc or any top school have decided education is #1 .....wrestling 2 or 3 or maybe even 4. Ask any D1 coach how many recruits who are top 3-5 in their weight nationally fade a bit because of lack of desire and or not prioritizing Wrestling as #1 anymore........I've heard it PLENTY.

tariq should be a true inspiration for his area. I hope that he would one day return and help emerge the area. With that said, I think tariq strengthens the premise that someone that was not one of the elite recruits can surpass those that may not want it as bad at the college level.
Tariq is a novelty, I do believe his odd style and leverage helped him be a multiple AA , but never Champ. If you're attempting to pretend his level of success is common based on his HS success ....I'd say youre comparing apples to bananas.