Ohio Heritage Conference 2024

wls_color

Hard to believe we are posting about the 2024 season already!

I believe West Jeff is the favorite in the North as long as they have the talent to replace one of the best receiving corps (possibly in league history). Northeastern should also be very good again, returning a lot including a talented QB. WLS was actually fairly young too, but do lose the OHC North POY (McGill) and QB. Mechanicsburg loses Roland, but have a lot of young talent that got valuable experience.

In the South, Greeneview has a ton of talent back including Horney and Payton; they're the favorites IMO. Southeastern loses some players but were "fairly" young and should be good again. Cedarville has a lot of shoes to fill. Greenon will certainly be better getting their QB and top rusher back.

My pre-season, way-to-early OHC Power Rankings

NORTH:
1. West Jefferson
2. West Liberty-Salem
3. Northeastern
4. Mechanicsburg
5. Fairbanks
6. Triad

SOUTH:
1. Greeneview
2. Southeastern
3. Greenon
4. Cedarville
5. Catholic Central
6. Madison Plains

I believe West Jefferson and Greeneview are set to make deep playoff runs. WLS, Northeastern, Burg, and Southestern will have to prove some things. I just feel like WJ and Greeneview will be on a different level next year.

someone misses football!

i agree with your picks. Greeneview needs to find a way to win in the playoffs. they are too good of a team and program to be getting bounced in round 1 of a 16 team field. we will see if West a jeff can get over the regional hump and get to state before Buescher graduates.

I for one can't wait for football to be back, good luck to our Riders,
FB_IMG_1695765719513.jpg

Was anyone close enough with there Competitive Balance numbers to bump up or fall back a division next year?
And who doesn’t miss Friday night’s already lol!
Typical fringe teams are WLS, Northeastern, Triad, and Mechanicsburg. I could see Triad dropping back down to D7. I don't see WLS going back up to 5 (we have actually had several transfer out to Bellefontaine, rather than our typical transfer in numbers).

Thanks for starting the 2024 thread!

I think it will be a battle for the North with WLS, WJ, and NE.
GV should go uncontested in the South.

Hope all the teams have a great off-season, and good luck to the multi-sport athletes.

Will Madison Plainsever turn things around? I caught them two seasons back and really enjoyed the overall experience even though they dropped the game the team seemed to play hard the entire game

Will Madison Plainsever turn things around? I caught them two seasons back and really enjoyed the overall experience even though they dropped the game the team seemed to play hard the entire game
i’m not sure they ever will. that school has the farthest thing from a football culture. they had a couple of years near .500 when the last coach (Hunt?) ran the show.

Madison Plains is my favorite place in the OHC to watch a game. scenic backdrop on a crisp fall evening.

Thanks for starting the 2024 thread!

I think it will be a battle for the North with WLS, WJ, and NE.
GV should go uncontested in the South.

Hope all the teams have a great off-season, and good luck to the multi-sport athletes.
Greeneview just has to stay healthy for once

I agree...injuries have been a problem...the Payton kid was hurt all season...got banged up in the Waynesville game and never recovered..they have all the pieces this year...hopefully they can put it together...should be a good year for them
Any chance Greeneview drops to D6? I honestly haven’t looked at the numbers for awile so IDK what there numbers looke like

Any chance Greeneview drops to D6? I honestly haven’t looked at the numbers for awile so IDK what there numbers looke like
I have no idea...we were a few years ago and we have graduated a few big classes so I guess there might be a chance.

Last year's numbers (boys enrollment + CB # = adjusted enrollment)

Greenon 191 (+3) = 194
Greeneview 159 (+6) = 165
Northeastern 150 (+9) = 159
Madison Plains 152 (0) = 152
West Jefferson 148 (+2) = 150
West Liberty-Salem 135 (+14) = 149
Fairbanks 146 (+3) = 149
Triad 111 (+4) = 115
Mechanicsburg 94 (+18) = 112
Cedarville 74 (+13) = 87
Southeastern 79 (+3) =82
Catholic Central 51 (+12) = 63

Divisional breakdown guide:
D4: 202-269
D5: 154-201
D6: 113-153
D7: 0-112

I didn't realize Greenon was that close to D4. Greeneview is probably a lock to stay in D5. Northeastern could drop depending on CB numbers and freshmen class size. Plains and WJ could be candidates to move up. I don't see WLS having a CB # anything like 14 again, so they should stay in 6. Fairbanks is a growing district, so I could see them jump up to 5. I would guess Triad drops to 7.

I believe so. I heard he quit the week they played NE. Not sure what all happened there.
I saw a news article that said something about health issues. Best of luck to him and to Fairbanks as they move in whatever new direction. Wonder what other OHC jobs will open. Heard a rumor that Graham wanted to leave the CBC, and that OHC might be a destination for them. Anyone hear about that one?

I saw a news article that said something about health issues. Best of luck to him and to Fairbanks as they move in whatever new direction. Wonder what other OHC jobs will open. Heard a rumor that Graham wanted to leave the CBC, and that OHC might be a destination for them. Anyone hear about that one?
Graham is Div IV. I highly doubt that they would be welcomed into the OHC being that big IMHO.

Graham is Div IV. I highly doubt that they would be welcomed into the OHC being that big IMHO.
Graham and Greenon are very similar in size. Greenon is knocking on the door of D4. Graham is subpar in most sports and the OHC could be a nice fit.

Last year's numbers (boys enrollment + CB # = adjusted enrollment)

Greenon 191 (+3) = 194
Greeneview 159 (+6) = 165
Northeastern 150 (+9) = 159
Madison Plains 152 (0) = 152
West Jefferson 148 (+2) = 150
West Liberty-Salem 135 (+14) = 149
Fairbanks 146 (+3) = 149
Triad 111 (+4) = 115
Mechanicsburg 94 (+18) = 112
Cedarville 74 (+13) = 87
Southeastern 79 (+3) =82
Catholic Central 51 (+12) = 63

Divisional breakdown guide:
D4: 202-269
D5: 154-201
D6: 113-153
D7: 0-112

I didn't realize Greenon was that close to D4. Greeneview is probably a lock to stay in D5. Northeastern could drop depending on CB numbers and freshmen class size. Plains and WJ could be candidates to move up. I don't see WLS having a CB # anything like 14 again, so they should stay in 6. Fairbanks is a growing district, so I could see them jump up to 5. I would guess Triad drops to 7.
Been told West Jefferson’s class sizes are only getting smaller. I doubt they leave D6 for a while.

If Greenon goes DIV, I could see them getting kicked out of the OHC. The OHC is a D V - DVII conference right now.
i agree- don’t think the smaller schools in the league would be thrilled with playing a D4, regardless how competitive they are. i’m sure if you kick Greenon they would look to form a Clark County league, similar to what the MRVL was.

Been told West Jefferson’s class sizes are only getting smaller. I doubt they leave D6 for a while.
West Jefferson seems land locked judging by how small the district boundaries are. they will go in cycles with enrollment. housing seems very limited- seems like a lot of “townies” are content retiring in WJ. Enon is the same way but that aging population is starting to die off and enrollment is beginning to jump.

i agree- don’t think the smaller schools in the league would be thrilled with playing a D4, regardless how competitive they are. i’m sure if you kick Greenon they would look to form a Clark County league, similar to what the MRVL was.
That could be an interesting proposition especially which schools would actually be interested.

I don't think they'd kick Greenon, but they would definitely need to realign to a small school/big school type conference.

Right now, it looks super weird based on boys enrollment:

BIG SCHOOL:
Greenon 191
Greeneview 159
Northeastern 150
Madison Plains 152
West Jefferson 148
Fairbanks 146

SMALL SCHOOL:
West Liberty-Salem 135
Triad 111
Mechanicsburg 94
Cedarville 74
Southeastern 79
Catholic Central 51

I think at that point it would be time to move on from SCC (as much as I like having them) and add Riverside to the small school side. I don't like it as much, I like the alignment from a competition standpoint as is.

I also believe West Jefferson would want to stick with Mechanicsburg and WLS no matter what (just guessing).

I could see NW being really interested, but that would be about it. Let's see there's Greenon, NW, NE, KR, Tecumseh, Springfield, CC and Shawnee in Clark County. There's a Christian School by KR but they don't have football. Am I missing anyone?
You're missing SE.

So obviously Springfield isn't going to leave the GWOC for this league and I don't think it makes sense for Tecumseh either. But a DIV-DVII conference all within the county would really lessen travel for everyone. Now I don't think Shawnee is going to want to move. They have it great right now.

Last edited:
I don't think they'd kick Greenon, but they would definitely need to realign to a small school/big school type conference.

Right now, it looks super weird based on boys enrollment:

BIG SCHOOL:
Greenon 191
Greeneview 159
Northeastern 150
Madison Plains 152
West Jefferson 148
Fairbanks 146

SMALL SCHOOL:
West Liberty-Salem 135
Triad 111
Mechanicsburg 94
Cedarville 74
Southeastern 79
Catholic Central 51

I think at that point it would be time to move on from SCC (as much as I like having them) and add Riverside to the small school side. I don't like it as much, I like the alignment from a competition standpoint as is.

I also believe West Jefferson would want to stick with Mechanicsburg and WLS no matter what (just guessing).
Actually, there is zero point to kicking Greenon or realigning the more I think about it. Unless they go back to an 8 team playoff, the OHC could add D3 schools if they wanted. Conferences can now be competition or location based. 4 wins gets you in the playoffs in almost every region, regardless of who you play. So there should be no issue with Greenon moving up to D4 if everyone agrees that the culture, location, and competitiveness is a fit.