Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

I agree that Jr High, Freshman and JV success (winning) is not the end all/be all. The goal of a good football program should be the development of the players so they are ready & able to perform when it is their time under the Friday night lights. I even recall a story about a Marion Local Jr high team that once was winless only to end up being State Champs as high school Seniors.

Things do change between Jr High to high school: kids move/transfer, discontinue playing or simply may not physically develop & grow. WJ’s current seniors were very dominant in Jr high, I believe they even beat Clinton Massie 30 something to 8 in 8th grade. However, I believe WJ current seniors have at least 4 kids no longer playing due to moving out of the district or not playing football any longer - 2 of these kids will be 1st team all state football players at their current high schools this year (congrats to them).

I do disagree with your statement that jr high success has “0 impact on high school success”. I remembered those Jr high & freshman games I played in and learning the importance of doing the little things which led to winning. Regardless of who is on the field, if one has a ‘West Jeff’ on the front of their jersey the standard & expectation is to play like a champion and find a way to win. In the mid 1980’s the WJ freshman teams had a 5 year unbeaten streak of 35 or so games. The freshman the 6th year started off 1-3 or something like that. The WJ head coach John Sines went and had a chat with the freshman (freshman did not practice with the varsity back then). I do not know exactly what was said but I have no doubt it left a lasting impression on those freshman. Those WJ freshmen would go on to have a losing record that year but as Seniors they had a successful season and I believe a trip to the playoffs. Their successful senior year did not start or begin as seniors, I’d venture to say it started the day they had that ‘chat’ with Coach Sines.
I agree with most of that. I just mean success (wins/losses) doesn't necessarily translate. Coaching impact, program investment, tradition...those all have a huge impact. West Jeff is certainly the best at keeping at it in the OHC. You won't get any argument from me there.

Lots of variables in HS sports, interesting to see that when some schools have people quit it's painted into a culture issue or the program is in decline but not if it's the home team of whoever the poster may cheer for. I suppose that's the beauty of rose colored glasses or just praying on/for the downfall of others.

Good Luck to all!
I think I am seeing what you are saying but I think people that support their team are more critical of their team than others. They actually know the culture of the community or decline of the program more than the outsider. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing your team isn't what it used to be.

Where will WLS fall if both Country Day and Paint Valley win - both play teams with 8 and 6 wins respectively so could possibly jump them?
I believe we are pretty much (with a win), a lock at 5.

EDIT: It looks like Pasteur has us as a lock at 5 even with a loss. Which is odd. 6 and lower must be way behind in points.

He has Paint Valley losing and Country Day winning currently, which puts us at 4. If they both lose, it looks like we could jump to 3 if we beat Fairbanks. Which is not ideal for trying to avoid Versailles until the Regional Finals.

I believe we are pretty much (with a win), a lock at 5.

EDIT: It looks like Pasteur has us as a lock at 5 even with a loss. Which is odd. 6 and lower must be way behind in points.
I am kind of going with Drew P on this. You lock in at 4 and have Arcanum. However, Deer Park would not be bad for you 1st round.

I think I am seeing what you are saying but I think people that support their team are more critical of their team than others. They actually know the culture of the community or decline of the program more than the outsider. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing your team isn't what it used to be.
100%, but even people/fans from their own communities will still fall into one of the two categories mentioned above of rose colored glasses or hoping/praying on the downfall. Most if not all people have at least a 51/49 lean one way or the other no matter how down the middle they may try to be.

Looking forward to seeing how the OHC can represent themselves in the playoffs!

I am kind of going with Drew P on this. You lock in at 4 and have Arcanum. However, Deer Park would not be bad for you 1st round.
1) We have to finish business and win tomorrow night. Fairbanks has ALWAYS been a thorn in WLS' side going back to the old WCOC. They've upset some good WLS teams (2019 only regular season loss) and always have a good gameplan and play hard against the Tigers. I can't think, off the top of my head, of any blowouts in that series since they've joined the OHC (edit: they smoked us in 2021).

2) I don't know if Paint Valley will lose. That game is a literal coin flip IMO. I'd love 2 home games and the 4 seed. But I'm guessing we will end up the 5.

WLS/Fairbanks series since the Panthers joined the OHC:

2017: WLS 27-24
2018: WLS 38-35
2019: Fairbanks 26-20
2020: Fairbanks 49-48
2021: Fairbanks 42-7
2022: WLS 21-14

Last edited:
1) We have to finish business and win tomorrow night. Fairbanks has ALWAYS been a thorn in WLS' side going back to the old WCOC. They've upset some good WLS teams (2019 only regular season loss) and always have a good gameplan and play hard against the Tigers. I can't think, off the top of my head, of any blowouts in that series since they've joined the OHC.

2) I don't know if Paint Valley will lose. That game is a literal coin flip IMO. I'd love 2 home games and the 4 seed. But I'm guessing we will end up the 5.
I got more faith that you, :ROFLMAO: . I see PV losing to ZT, will be a good game. Absolutely two home games would be optimal but even a #5 and against DP would be good. The CHL has had their issues in Logan and Clark counties over the years.

i just took a look at the regions.. what is going on in D6?! someone tell me how Paint Valley gets sent to the southwest, however West Jeff goes east/southeast

seems like gerrymandering at its finest.

100%, but even people/fans from their own communities will still fall into one of the two categories mentioned above of rose colored glasses or hoping/praying on the downfall. Most if not all people have at least a 51/49 lean one way or the other no matter how down the middle they may try to be.

Looking forward to seeing how the OHC can represent themselves in the playoffs!
The one thing I love about the OHC posters they dont root for a downfall of the others...uncommon with other threads. There is realism with this conference and it is not as opaque as you may think . I would guess that most OHC posters would come to the conclusion this conference may not be as good as past years but they bring a lot to the table.

IMO, the top dogs in the OHC will represent their conference very well.

i just took a look at the regions.. what is going on in D6?! someone tell me how Paint Valley gets sent to the southwest, however West Jeff goes east/southeast

I got on better....If Covington wins their first game, they have a shot at the 16 seed in

How is possible that Covington can get in to the playoffs with a win and a 1-9 record, with some help?

I cant wait for your annual thread of furthest drives for first round games....
one step ahead of you. thread will be up friday night. likely answer will have to do with Coal Grove Dawson Bryant.

as for Covington, mix of R24 being so poor and the amount of points they’d get beating a 5 win D5 team. i believe it, but i sure don’t like it!

interesting discussion on the MAC thread about an 8-2 Parkway team missing the playoffs in the 8 team era..

my question is what some instances of this happening in the OHC?

Greenon got a bad break in 2019.. ended up as the #9 seed in R20, even after beating the #3 seed Shawnee in the same region. Greenon was much better than the #7 and #8 seeds and probably closer to the level of #5 seed Madeira

interesting discussion on the MAC thread about an 8-2 Parkway team missing the playoffs in the 8 team era..

my question is what some instances of this happening in the OHC?

Greenon got a bad break in 2019.. ended up as the #9 seed in R20, even after beating the #3 seed Shawnee in the same region. Greenon was much better than the #7 and #8 seeds and probably closer to the level of #5 seed Madeira
WLS missed a lot of playoffs with some good teams back in the day. I'm not sure being one of the bigger schools in the OHC has hurt another school as badly. Notable playoff misses:

4 Team Era:
1976: 9-1
1977: 10-0
1978: 9-1

8 Team Era:
2001: 8-2 (finished 12th)
2005: 7-3 (finished 12th)
2010: 8-2 (finished 11th)
2017: 8-2 (finished 10th)
2018: 7-3 (finished 10th)

Last edited:
WLS missed a lot of playoffs with some good teams back in the day. I'm not sure being one of the bigger schools in the OHC has hurt another school as badly. Notable playoff misses:

4 Team Era:
1976: 9-1
1977: 10-0
1978: 9-1

8 Team Era:
2001: 8-2 (finished 12th)
2005: 7-3 (finished 12th)
2010: 8-2 (finished 11th)
2017: 8-2 (finished 10th)
2018: 7-3 (finished 10th)
I believe only one team per region made the playoffs in the '70s. In 1980 it went to two teams per region, then in 1985 it went to four teams per region.

West Jefferson
1981: 8-2
1984: 9-1
1985: 9-1
1989: 9-1
1992: 7-3
1993: 8-2
1997: 8-2
2012: 7-3 Finished 9th
Not sure what the 70s looked like.

The OHSAA playoffs began in 1972. Here is the breakdown of who made the playoffs by year:
* 1972 to 1979: 3 classes with 4 regions each. Regional champ made playoffs.
This 12 teams made playoffs (4 per class) or 1.68% of the 715 Ohio football playing high schools
* 1980 to 1984: 5 divisions with 4 regions each and top 2 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 40 teams made playoffs (8 per division) or 5.59% of teams
* 1985 to 1994: 5 divisions with 4 regions each and top 4 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 80 teams made playoffs (16 per division) or 11.19% of teams.
* 1995 to 2012: 6 divisions with 4 regions each and top 8 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 96 teams made playoffs (16 per division) or 13.43% of teams.
* 2013 to 2019: 7 divisions mostly with 4 regions each and top 8 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 224 teams made playoffs (32 per division) or 31.47% of teams.
* 2020: Covid year, thus everyone made playoffs
* 2021 to present: 7 divisions mostly with 4 regions each and top 16 in each region made playoffs:
Thus 448 teams make playoffs or 62.66% of teams.

In 51 years of OHSAA playoffs (1972 to 2022), West Jefferson has:
* 25 playoff appearances (49.02% of the time)
* 33-23 playoff record, 58.93% winning percentage
* 6 times have finished 1st in their region: 1976, 1977, 1980, 2006, 2007, 2013
* Prior to 2020 near miss of making the playoffs (3 spots or less), 9 times: 1978, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2012
* Lost to eventual State Champion in playoffs: 7 times
* Lost to eventual State Runner Up in playoffs: 5 times
* State Playoff Champions: 1976 and 1982

Last edited:
The OHSAA playoffs began in 1972. Here is the breakdown of who made the playoffs by year:
* 1972 to 1979: 3 classes with 4 regions each. Regional champ made playoffs.
This 12 teams made playoffs (4 per class) or 1.68% of the 715 Ohio football playing high schools
* 1980 to 1984: 5 divisions with 4 regions each and top 2 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 40 teams made playoffs (8 per division) or 5.59% of teams
* 1985 to 1994: 5 divisions with 4 regions each and top 4 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 80 teams made playoffs (16 per division) or 11.19% of teams.
* 1995 to 2012: 6 divisions with 4 regions each and top 4 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 96 teams made playoffs (16 per division) or 13.43% of teams.
* 2013 to 2019: 7 divisions mostly with 4 regions each and top 8 in each region made playoffs.
Thus 224 teams made playoffs (32 per division) or 31.47% of teams.
* 2020: Covid year, thus everyone made playoffs
* 2021 to present: 7 divisions mostly with 4 regions each and top 16 in each region made playoffs:
Thus 448 teams make playoffs or 62.66% of teams.

In 51 years of OHSAA playoffs (1972 to 2022), West Jefferson has:
* 25 playoff appearances (49.02% of the time)
* 33-23 playoff record, 58.93% winning percentage
* 6 times have finished 1st in their region: 1976, 1977, 1980, 2006, 2007, 2013
* Prior to 2020 near miss of making the playoffs (3 spots or less), 9 times: 1978, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2012
* Lost to eventual State Champion in playoffs: 7 times
* Lost to eventual State Runner Up in playoffs: 5 times
* State Playoff Champions: 1976 and 1982
made one slight error. you said only 4 teams per region made the playoffs until 2012. not the case i think they went to 8 in 1995

Week 10 already.........goodluck to all teams!!!

West Jeff @ Northeastern - does the weather impact this game and slow down WJ offsense?? WJ wins and boosts some confidence after last week nail-biter

West Liberty Salem @ Fairbanks - WLS finishes strong on the backs of O-line and McGill

Burg @ Triad - Burg seems to have figured some things out, just in time for another playoff run

Cedarville @ Gview - Greenview at home, I believe they have underperformed all year and are still the best of the South

SE @ Greenon - SE picks up another win to roll into the playoffs; their losses came against teams with a 23-4 record

CC @ Plains - Plains pick up much needed win at home as season closes

Any football geniuses know what it would take for Burg to get a home playoff game? Facing off against a not so good Triad team won’t boost them up by many points but it would be interesting to see what Cinderella story would need to happen in order to get into that 6-8 seed range, Joel Eitel updated last night and now has Burg as a 6-11 seed range with a win

Any football geniuses know what it would take for Burg to get a home playoff game? Facing off against a not so good Triad team won’t boost them up by many points but it would be interesting to see what Cinderella story would need to happen in order to get into that 6-8 seed range, Joel Eitel updated last night and now has Burg as a 6-11 seed range with a win
I think they need to have 3 or more to happen: KR beat Bellefontaine (Not going to happen), Greenon beat SE (Crazier things have happened), CC beat MP (Could happen, those Irish don't give up), Fairbanks beat WLS (See Greenon Vs SE) and NE to beat WJ.
So I think they could slip into 8, but they'll need lots of help.

Lehman Catholic and Cedarville losses would help. Greenon and SE winning would help some but not a ton. that Cedarville loss was a killer with it being a region game. probably worked out for Burg- if Cedarville wins round 1 they are likely headed for Maria Stein

if Lehman losses, Mechanicsburg may visit Cedarville again with a trip to Marion Local on the line.

20231019_163732.jpg