Ohio Heritage Conference 2020

Yeah, its impressive to have sustained success at small schools like WLS and MB. I don't think people realize how hard it is. Looked on Joe Eitel after youe post at some of WLS and MB old playoff opponents. Some went 1-9, 3-7, etc. Its hard to win year in and year out with a limited number of kids.

Speaks to coaching I guess? Forrest is a highly regarded coach IMO, and the Smith/McGill combo seem to be really good as well. I also think at places like MB, football is in thier culture and is an important part of the identity of the school and community.

For sure. Kasner and Smith came into WLS and Burg around the same time and changed the culture. Forrest and McGill were great hires who sustained that culture. You look at the few bad years at Burg, that was in between Kasner and Forrest where there was some coaching turnover. Longevity with quality coaches means a lot to sustained success too. Kids know what to expect.

I don't see either Forrest or McGill going anywhere for a while. They're hometown boys who have a lot of pride for their communities. I know both will have some classes come up (both in the near future) that don't have a lot of football talent. But I can almost guarantee those 2 guys know who to accent those classes with athletes from other classes to continue winning. That's what good coaches do.

a new topic came up in the CBC thread. if the rumors about Shawnee dropping to D6 are true, i can only imagine that the OHC would invite them on the spot. that’s a program that makes the OHC better in every way. thoughts on this? if shawnee came, who else would?

a new topic came up in the CBC thread. if the rumors about Shawnee dropping to D6 are true, i can only imagine that the OHC would invite them on the spot. that’s a program that makes the OHC better in every way. thoughts on this? if shawnee came, who else would?

I don't think Shawnee will ever come close to dropping to D6. I think that guys is misinformed or misinterpreted the AD. However, if it somehow were to happen - yes, the OHC would quickly move on bringing in Shawnee. I wouldn't imagine any more expansion, I would think someone gets voted out. From a competitiveness standpoint, I would think Shawnee would want in the North and would likely place Northeastern who would head to the south.

But again, no way in hell it's happening. haha

I don't think Shawnee will ever come close to dropping to D6. I think that guys is misinformed or misinterpreted the AD. However, if it somehow were to happen - yes, the OHC would quickly move on bringing in Shawnee. I wouldn't imagine any more expansion, I would think someone gets voted out. From a competitiveness standpoint, I would think Shawnee would want in the North and would likely place Northeastern who would head to the south.

But again, no way in hell it's happening. haha
100% agree. i think they do not have the right information either. but no way the OHC wouldn’t do everything to get Shawnee in. they would be competitive in the north. i see three options- add shawnee and someone else. not many other options to add so your best bets would be trying to poach northwestern and east clinton, which probably isn’t realistic. the 2nd option is vote out catholic central. if they don’t get it together it’s possible. 3rd option is pressure madison plains or fairbanks to another league, which i also don’t see happening.

again i don’t see shawnee dropping below D5 for at least 2 decades.

now if you get shawnee in, the question is, do you divide in to big and small but make sure each school would have a say in who they played in crossovers? ex. West Liberty would get Triad and Mechanicsburg no questions asked.

Hell no to Shawnee if they are D6,7 or 1,2,3,4 and oh wait 5 too. Just my opinion.
Time to go back to an eight or nine team conference with some shared sense of community, and values. Lots of ways to slice that. If you want to add teams you'll have to go to a big small split and right now you would have better luck with a "competitors" division and a "participants" division than the way big?small splits.

I don’t think we will see an OHC team win a football state championship for a while. Burg will be good, but not Marion Local, Minster good.
In my opinion I think D6 might be tougher state wide than D5. Burg would have a better chance winning it all if they somehow were to add a few kids to their school numbers. Greenon would benefit from having Greenview moving back up to D5 and not play anyone OOC lower than D5.

100% agree. i think they do not have the right information either. but no way the OHC wouldn’t do everything to get Shawnee in. they would be competitive in the north. i see three options- add shawnee and someone else. not many other options to add so your best bets would be trying to poach northwestern and east clinton, which probably isn’t realistic. the 2nd option is vote out catholic central. if they don’t get it together it’s possible. 3rd option is pressure madison plains or fairbanks to another league, which i also don’t see happening.

again i don’t see shawnee dropping below D5 for at least 2 decades.

now if you get shawnee in, the question is, do you divide in to big and small but make sure each school would have a say in who they played in crossovers? ex. West Liberty would get Triad and Mechanicsburg no questions asked.
Never say never. Wasn't long ago Shawnee was D2. Limited growth opportunities in that area to expand. If a school district isn't expanding they are shrinking.

Hell no to Shawnee if they are D6,7 or 1,2,3,4 and oh wait 5 too. Just my opinion.
Time to go back to an eight or nine team conference with some shared sense of community, and values. Lots of ways to slice that. If you want to add teams you'll have to go to a big small split and right now you would have better luck with a "competitors" division and a "participants" division than the way big?small splits.
I like the Idea of a competitive division and a "program building division". Nothing wrong with bringing more teams in to help Conference revenue if aligned properly. GWOC got too big for its britches and broke up. By expanding responsibly, It would help the growth of small school football IMO. Shawnee brings in a RICH football tradition. They would be more of an asset to OHC than a liability.

In my opinion I think D6 might be tougher state wide than D5. Burg would have a better chance winning it all if they somehow were to add a few kids to their school numbers. Greenon would benefit from having Greenview moving back up to D5 and not play anyone OOC lower than D5.
i think D5 is more competitive and deeper but D6 is tougher at the top.Greenon would benefit from not playing cedarville or central. that’s why i would be all for a big/small split as long as teams can get traditional rivals as crossovers. say you add shawnee and drop central. you have:

big- Greenon, Shawnee, Madison Plains, Greeneview, West Jefferson, West Liberty Salem

small- Mechanicsburg , Triad, Fairbanks, Northeastern, Cedarville, Southeastern

that looks pretty clean and great for everyone, assuming teams get rivals as crossovers

I like the Idea of a competitive division and a "program building division". Nothing wrong with bringing more teams in to help Conference revenue if aligned properly. GWOC got too big for its britches and broke up. By expanding responsibly, It would help the growth of small school football IMO. Shawnee brings in a RICH football tradition. They would be more of an asset to OHC than a liability.
i think the issue in the GWOC was the size difference was just too much causing the west carrolltons to want nothing to do with the Wayne’s and Centerville’s. the OHC doesn’t have that issue. everyone plays everyone in at least most sports

First off, Cant imagine Shawnee ever in the OHC.

But if it did happen, cant imagine North schools wanting them. IF they replaced NE, there are 5 playoff worthy schools, but only maybe three can get in. Someone has to lose those games. Or you have a nightmare scenario where everyone is 8-2 or 7-3 and no one makes the playoffs.

They North South is unbalanced enough, Shawnee would have to go South, or more WJ to the South to keep a semblance of balance.

We woke up ol' crabby pants from his winter slumber! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm ready to go back to an 8 team conference too, TBH.

I also love the idea of the smaller conferences with great developed rivalries between schools and communities. I'm a follower of pretty much all area football but pledge allegiance to Kenton Ridge so for them I'd love a league that consisted of KR, Shawnee, Tecumseh, Northwestern, Greenon, Urbana, Graham and Bellefontaine. I know that league is not realistic in the bigger picture but we can dream. I'd even replace Bellefontaine with WLS but that's even further away

On a serious note, the original WCOC began in 1930 as the Logan County League. It re-branded itself as the WCOC in 1970. The original members are pretty interesting.

Belle Center
DeGraff
Huntsville
Monroe Township (Valley Hi)
Perry-Zane (East Liberty)
Quincy
Rushysvlania
Stoke Township (Lakeview)
Washington Local (Lewistown)
West Liberty
West Mansfield
Zanesfield-Monroe
Zane Township (Middlefield)

What a conference...haha.

1960's saw the addition of Waynesfield-Goshen, Fairbanks and Ridgemont,. Ben Logan, Mechanicsburg and Triad all joined in the 70's.

Many of those schools consolidated between 1950-1970 too.

Drop Ridgemont for Ben Logan and you'd be on to something.

Don't agree that wls would dominate everything either, it would all go through cycles like it did in the past.

Drop Ridgemont for Ben Logan and you'd be on to something.

Don't agree that wls would dominate everything either, it would all go through cycles like it did in the past.

WLS pretty much dominates everything in the OHC right now already. ?‍♂️:ROFLMAO: (I kid, I kid)

Fun to project, so I'll project WCOC championships based on the most recent seasons... (not counting Ben Logan)

BOYS
Baseball - Fairbanks
Basketball - West Liberty-Salem
Bowling - Mechanicsburg
Cross Country - West Liberty-Salem
Football - West Liberty-Salem
Golf - Fairbanks
Soccer - Fairbanks
Track - West Liberty-Salem
Wrestling - Mechanicsburg

So in boys, WLS 4, Fairbanks 3, Burg 2

GIRLS
Basketball - Mechancisburg
Bowling - Mechanicsburg
Cross Country - West Liberty-Salem
Golf - Fairbanks
Soccer - West Liberty-Salem
Softball - Mechanicsburg
Track - West Liberty-Salem
Volleyball - West Liberty-Salem

So in girls, WLS 4, Burg 3, Fairbanks 1

Overall: WLS 8, Burg 5, Fairbanks 4

I find it interesting that it appears the OHC teams would dominate the WCOC and that Indian Lake or any of the NWCC schools don't really stack up. Probably the best reason there is to stay put and never go back to the old WCOC. The OHC has built these teams.

The only Logan county team the Burg would even remotely consider adding would be Riverside. No reason to EVER go to Ben Logan for anything. And Waynsefeild Goshen?? Ridgemont??? Hell No. takes days to get there and then what? You wonder why you went in the first place. I’ll reveal the correct 8-9 teams soon.

i think in the “WCOC” remake, you don’t include Burg but include Ben Logan. Mechanicsburg would find a league probably with west jeff, plains, northeastern, and southeastern. greenon, greeneview, catholic central, and cedarville would go there own ways i’d assume. as a greenon fan my dream scenario league wise is stay with greeneview and/or shawnee in any scenario. those are our best games in both sports and size wise it fits.

My “ideal” 8 would honestly look like this:

WLS
Burg
West Jeff
Triad
Fairbanks
North Union
Ben Logan (sorry DTR)
Kenton Ridge

Greeneview is kind of in an interesting spot. you could put them with Miami Trace and Washington Courthouse. you could also put them with wilmington, blanchester, and east clinton. even the clark county schools don’t mind the trip out to jamestown as much. heck, greeneview already plays kenton ridge and northwestern in some sports. even shawnee in some. but as a program they could succeed most places.

Greeneview is kind of in an interesting spot. you could put them with Miami Trace and Washington Courthouse. you could also put them with wilmington, blanchester, and east clinton. even the clark county schools don’t mind the trip out to jamestown as much. heck, greeneview already plays kenton ridge and northwestern in some sports. even shawnee in some. but as a program they could succeed most places.

Greeneview will never go into a situation they aren't on the big side the equation

Greeneview will never go into a situation they aren't on the big side the equation
they may not. but they aren’t afraid to schedule larger schools in OOC. besides, Greeneview probably lays a beating on Miami Trace, Washington Courthouse, Chillicothe, Wilmington, etc most years.

i could see west liberty, mechanicsburg, and triad splitting up. triad just doesn't really compete anymore. burg isn’t a fit with most the other schools west liberty would likely join with. but i’m positive they would all have a mutual agreement to schedule each other in most sports if they split. when Greenon split from the CBC, Kenton Ridge and Shawnee were still on the the schedule in most every sport and they still are today.