Ohio All American nominees

The Dream

Congratulations to local Cincinnati area products, Raeshaun Gaffney and Chloe Pavlech, on their All American nominations! They join Ameryst Alston, Malina Howard, Raytea Long, Elise Sharpe and Rachel Theriot in a small, but deserving group of young ladies selected to potentially represent the state of Ohio in the McDonald's All American game in Chicago this year. The 24 girls selected to play in the games will be announced February 9th.

Congratulations ladies!

Finest Factor, Austria is the best guard in Dayton. She is followed closely by Alexis Gassion of Fairborn and then Chelsea Welch of Fairmont.

Kelley had 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 assists in last years D-II state semifinal.
In the final against Hathaway Brown, she had 26 points, 5 steals, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists.
Some kids are great offensively, some great defensively. She is VERY good at both.
Read the article about last year's state final here.
A quote: "Player of the Game: Kelley Austria, Jr., Carroll – Despite the loss, Austria was clearly the best player on the court in the D-II final."

What makes her really great is her unselfishness. She leads the team in scoring, but takes the 3rd most shots per game. 68% from the field, 87% from the line, A/T ratio of 3.6, 3rd on the team in rebounding (she's the PG).
I've never seen a kid that could play defense and get steals like she does.

Finest Factor, Austria is the best guard in Dayton. She is followed closely by Alexis Gassion of Fairborn and then Chelsea Welch of Fairmont.
I don't see as many games as INtheShadows, but based on the games I have seen, I agree with his list. Here are the McDonalds nominees:

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2012 Nominees.pdf

Keep in mind, that these are not necessarily the best players, but the ones who were nominated and selected. All seven of the Ohio girls are good players, but Austria is better than at least two or three on the list.

Wow. How do they determine the number from each state? Texas, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Georgia have a ton of nominees. With the exception of Texas, those are not populous states. And I didn't think that girls' basketball was a forte of the Longhorn State. Always thought it was corrupt politicians.

I'm only asking because I don't really know, but is she better than Quisenberry, and if so is it by a wide margin ?

Looks like all of Ohio's nominees are seniors, thus no Quisenberry. But I agree with Brian, Kelley should have been on the list. If any seniors from Dayton should have been on the list, it is Kelley.
Next year, when Bianca, Jenny DeGraaf, Chelsea Welch and Alexis Gassion are seniors, they are all four great candidates, hopefully a couple of them can be recognized.
And as for your other question, Kelly and Bianca are both so good in most aspects of the game, neither have a wide margin over the other.

I've never seen Austria play, but I have seen Welch, Gassion, and Quisenberry, and Gassion is the best of those three IMO. Her ahtleticism sets her apart. She does it all for Fairborn.

Quisenberry is next, and is an offensvie machine. She does not have the physical presence that Gassion has.

Welch, while a fine player, is last of these three. Until she developes a better outside shot, I'd take the other two.

No Kelley Austria???
She's the best guard in the Dayton area by a WIDE MARGIN.

you have to take a look at the selection committee and see where they are from and who they represent before you can ask why some one is not selected. Most of the kids selected played in Blue Star events or MTW, or in front of ESPN hoop gurlz reps. They played on the Major Travel circuit. So the question should be who did this young lady play with in the summer, or where did she play. This will allow you to have some better insight to the question that you are answering.

McDonalds Committee

Linda Bamrick, Cathedral High School
Beth Bass, WBCA
Mary Coyle Klinger,Rutgers Preparatory School
Mike Flynn, Blue Star Basketball
Carroll Graham, AAU Girls Basketball Chair
Tanya Johnson,Loyola Academy
Clay Kallam, Full Court.com
Winston Kelly,Game Ball Magazine
Steve Kozaki,National Basketball Events, Inc.
Kara Leary,New England Crusaders
Kevin Lynch, Blue Star Report
Chris Mennig,Blue Star Basketball
Glenn Nelson,HoopGurlz.com
Tony Pappas,Waterloo West High School
Kelvin Powell,Roundball Journal
Jill Prudden,Oak Ridge High School
John Rhodes,Beach Ball Classic
Joey Simmons,Premier Basketball Report
Greg Swaim,Greg Swaim Basketball
Carl Tinsley,End of the Trail Tournament
Steve Tucker,Chicago Sun Times
Mike White,All Star Girls Report
Boo Williams,Boo Williams Summer League

you have to take a look at the selection committee and see where they are from and who they represent before you can ask why some one is not selected. Most of the kids selected played in Blue Star events or MTW, or in front of ESPN hoop gurlz reps. They played on the Major Travel circuit. So the question should be who did this young lady play with in the summer, or where did she play. This will allow you to have some better insight to the question that you are answering.

I would assume having games televised on ESPN3 would count.

http://www.springborosun.com/2011/07/ohio-lady-attack-tearing-up-summer-basketball-teams/

Politics, just like Nepotism, doesn't care about merit...

No Kelley Austria???
She's the best guard in the Dayton area by a WIDE MARGIN.

Austria is a good player, but let us not forget the role politics and nepotism have in HS level sports, especially in this state . Austria is "connected" enough for Ohio, but not enough for McDonald's it would seem. Ohio lives on these two factors and it starts at the top:
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/144933/caitlin-craft

Getting to D1 in the state can be less about merit and more about keeping "promises" to a brother valuable enough to steal from Tennessee and AAU buddies with you blue chip recruit.

So Molly is playing college ball where?

Greyhound, are you saying that that best 3 point shooter in Ohio and one of the best defenders in the state, as well as state finals MVP and state champion, doesn't deserve to go to Ohio State??? HMMM where is your logic? What do you know about this situation? College's do not waste scholarships on kids that they don't believe will help their program. That last comment was a joke and wasn't even a sentence.

She is not the best guard in Dayton, her body of work isn't against DI teams all season and where does she play AAU? What do her season numbers look like? She's good, but I don't think she is the best unless your saying she'll be first team all start and POY in that area. Jim doesn't have her listed as the best guard in Dayton, why is that?

Actually, Kelley should have been on the McD list, hands down, no question. She has moved to the top of the list as far as senior guards in Dayton this season, and does have some outstanding numbers: 15.4 ppg, 5.5 ast., 7.8 steals, shooting 69% from the field, 87% from the line. Brooke Pumroy is just coming back from ACL and Shelby Caprenter of Miami Valley HS is in that elite group. But right now, Austria is the top overall guard in her class.

Only seniors are eligible for the McD nominations.

Bianca Quisenberry is the top junior guard (23.6 ppg, 8.3 reb., 6.9 ast, 6.7 stl, 43 FG%, 73 FT%) for an 11-2 team. You have her, Chelsea Welch and Alexis Gassion who should all be very high considerations for the nominations next season.

Greyhound, are you saying that that best 3 point shooter in Ohio and one of the best defenders in the state, as well as state finals MVP and state champion, doesn't deserve to go to Ohio State??? HMMM where is your logic? What do you know about this situation? College's do not waste scholarships on kids that they don't believe will help their program. That last comment was a joke and wasn't even a sentence.

Using the logic of Ohiogirlsbasketball regarding Austria means that as a DIII player Craft doesn't even belong near a college, so to each their own opinion (you know what they say about opinions). Obviously you feel more qualified than Hoopgurlz or Bluestar (Craft is not even ranked by them) talent evaluators. As for your implied assertion that OSU would be above board on this matter, have you been living under a rock the past year? Where there is smoke there is possibly fire.

The last sentence was intended for the poster I was replying to...You obviously don't know EVERYTHING about Ohio Girls basketball or you would have caught the Carroll HS connection.

When I see numbers like seven or eight steals a game I wonder about who's doing the stats. That kind of stuff happens in volleyball all the time, because it's usually kids doing it and they don't know the definition of the statistic.

I was referring to a different sentence. I don't know why you feel to bring up Molly Mcgloin.

This is the poorly structured sentence I was trying to understand.

"Getting to D1 in the state can be less about merit and more about keeping "promises" to a brother valuable enough to steal from Tennessee and AAU buddies with you blue chip recruit."

Gee, for a guy "In the Shadows" you sure seem to need things laid out in black AND WHITE.

I guess I will PM next time a secondary (but related by High School) topic challenges your linear-only mind. Maybe others are also interested about the current status of a player they saw in the past, sorry it ruined YOUR board experience.

Just because you can't understand a sentence doesn't mean it is poorly structured, especially when it appears you have your head in the sand. Lets try it again with a little more info for B&W mind and a minor typo corrected:
"Getting to D1 in the state (Ohio) can be less about merit and more about keeping "promises" to a brother (Aaron Craft) valuable enough to steal from Tennessee and AAU buddies with you(r) blue chip recruit (Sullinger)."

Does that make it easier for you, Shadows?

"A ton of kids are missed every year."

Please look at my link again Mr. Blinders, Hoopgurlz didn't miss Craft and they rated her based on their evaluations. Don't confuse the issue, you are disputing their rankings. The question for the masses is do you believe a national service whose rankings are cited in hundreds of college player bios or a wannabe English prof hanging "In the Shadows?" It is also time to be honest with players and let them know that it isn't always what occurs on the court that determines their college future.

Fair enough Ohiogirlsbasketball, there are even variances between schools in D1 owing to wide differences in school enrollment. You have a valid point.

Not gonna speak on the other ramblings, but the stats thing drives me nuts too... when a team has 3-4 kids listed in the 'area leaders' for assist.. and if you add the assists up, either every single basket scored by that team has an assist (rare to impossible) or the team is averaging about 90-100 pts (not usually the case either).

That sentence is still not proper english.

If you look at the link you posted, you will see that it says "no evaluation is available". They didn't evaluate her.

Everyone, I didn't mean to start a statistics war here :)
Look at Kelley's stats in the state semis and finals.
Anyone who has ever seen her will attest to that fact.
She's quiet, unassuming, and her parents aren't yelling and promoting her all over the internet, etc.

I've seen a LOT of players over a LOT of years.
She's deserving. Trust me.
Greyhound is right. She's probably not connected enough.

I'll drop it. I just thought someone should speak her name.

keep thing in perspective.

I truely believe that politics have played there way into this discussion. I have dealt with alot of these scouting services and there evaluations/ publications. I too believe that they can be bias at times, but all that should matter is that these young ladies get an oppurtunity to live out their dreams of playing college ball and obtaining a free EDUCATION. EDUCATION. EDUCATION. My favorite word in the world is FREE.

Don't get me wrong, Kelley might be a great player but someone might be padding the stats if I'm to believe she is averaging 8 steals per game, that means some games she's has 10 or 14 STEALS? 14 steals against Tippecanoe come on? Did they just give her the ball every time they dribbled up court? Did she take the ball from Ellise Sharpe, a kid who did make the McDonald list?

I think I see the problem, who ever is keeping stats for them is getting the REBOUNDS mixed up with the STEALS. Take a look and let me know which one seems more likely? Been around this game too long to know when a stat is incorrect.

Rebounds 3.8 avg - Steals 7.8 avg - in that league she avg more ast 5.5 then rebounds at 6'0?

That could be why she didn't get the McDonald listing, could be a trust issue with the stats.

She runs the point for Carroll which is why she averages more assists than rebounds.

8 steals is legit. She's a great defender on and off the ball, which is where she gets a majority of her steals, by reading passing lanes.

As far as people not knowing her because of her AAU ball, she won a National Championship last year. I think she's well known.

I'd watch someone play before I was sure their stats weren't correct.