OHC 2021

Has anyone seen a playoff bracket? Is it truly a 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, etc setup? I've been searching and can't find anything.

The OHC rolling schedule really did work out this go around!
The only thing better would be if the North and South standings had been decided and 1v1 2v2 ect from North vs south were matched up in week 10. But.......
The big game Burg vs West Jeff should be a battle of all kinds. WJ comes in holding about every single measurable advantage. The underdog boys from the Burg will fight whistle to whistle and see what they are made of in week 10.
The south game ought to be an interesting one. Greenons defense looks on paper to be one of their stouter ones and Greeneview looks to keep improving as the season has gone on fun championship game for those players and communities.

Yee Yee OHCeee

Hopefully Greenon sneaks in. But has to suck knowing they more then likely beat Worthington or West Lib and would be in no problem. OHSAA should be able to give something for covid games

Losing the Worthington Christian replacement game hurt their playoff prospects a lot with how bad their schedule is. Worthington Christian should end up with 7 wins, and the six teams Greenon has beaten are a combined 12-41. That would have been a big boost.

The crux of their problem is their schedule sucks and they've lost to 2 of the 3 average or better teams (by record) that they've played. If they played WLS they would have played the five worst teams in this league by record, and they also played a soon to be 0-10 Northwestern team in non-league play.

Win games and you will be in.

No whining.

Our local HS had two OOC games, wins, and those teams got them ZERO L2 points through the first 9 weeks.

Zero.

and not likely to get them any in week ten, so ZERO level two points from OOC games.

and they should finish 4th, quite possibly 3rd, in the region

Win this week and they will be in.

To the point above though, the divisional setup in this league really hurts anyone in the South that's average or better. Every year (at least) the three worst teams are all in the South, and with this year being an exception to recent history it's usually all three of the D7 teams. Football is only one sport in the league equation, but the current setup and the three rotating crossover games hurt a ton of schools whether it's one or two South teams that are on the bubble in D5 and D6 or some of the North teams that have years where they get stuck playing multiple really bad South teams in crossover play instead of getting a third non-league game against a better opponent.

I hope all the OHC teams get through with little to no injuries. Going to be some great games with a lot of importance. Would love to see the Mech / WJ game, but I will be at NE cheering on the Jets. Can't believe it's week 10 already!

Let’s face it, it’s clear that no one in the OHC wants west Jeff to win this. West Jeff has the numbers (players and coaches) and skills edge. But burg has the work ethic and “everyone hates WJ” edge.

should make for a great game

Let’s face it, it’s clear that no one in the OHC wants west Jeff to win this. West Jeff has the numbers (players and coaches) and skills edge. But burg has the work ethic and “everyone hates WJ” edge.

i would bet the majority of people on this thread just want to see a very competitive, hard nosed football game.

Hey OHC Strong - So is the "everyone hates WJ" because the WJ coach, football program and community are fortunate enough to have a good number of kids come out for football; especially the 25 Seniors who stuck it out their entire football careers? I would guess 5 to 10 of those seniors may not see a lot of playing time Friday night and some may not have ever started at WJ in their varsity career but again - they stayed with it because maybe they felt a part of something. Congrats to those kids and their families. I am just as impressed with them as any other kids on the team. Not everyone can be All League or All State - you need kids like these to build programs.

Regarding the number of coaches, I counted 5 assistants who are former WJ players and that is just on the varsity/jv, I would guess there is a former WJ player or two coaching at the middle school level as well. I'm 99% sure none of the coaches are doing it for the $$$ - anyone knows assistant high school coaches make pennies per hour. Maybe they do it to be part of something too.

As for skills edge comment I'm not sure what to make of that. I kind of think of skills referring more towards basketball; dribbling, shooting, passing, etc. Regardless, skills are honed by repetition and hard work. Kids from both WJ and Mechanicsburg have obviously put in a great amount of time, blood and sweat over the course of their football careers - I'm not going to say one worked harder than the other.

OHC - go ahead and hate WJ for whatever reason(s) you want but to say it is because of the #'s....that's weak on your part.

I would have to say you might be a little bit but hurt I would say I’m sorry but I won’t lol

Hey OHC Strong - So is the "everyone hates WJ" because the WJ coach, football program and community are fortunate enough to have a good number of kids come out for football; especially the 25 Seniors who stuck it out their entire football careers? I would guess 5 to 10 of those seniors may not see a lot of playing time Friday night and some may not have ever started at WJ in their varsity career but again - they stayed with it because maybe they felt a part of something. Congrats to those kids and their families. I am just as impressed with them as any other kids on the team. Not everyone can be All League or All State - you need kids like these to build programs.

Regarding the number of coaches, I counted 5 assistants who are former WJ players and that is just on the varsity/jv, I would guess there is a former WJ player or two coaching at the middle school level as well. I'm 99% sure none of the coaches are doing it for the $$$ - anyone knows assistant high school coaches make pennies per hour. Maybe they do it to be part of something too.

As for skills edge comment I'm not sure what to make of that. I kind of think of skills referring more towards basketball; dribbling, shooting, passing, etc. Regardless, skills are honed by repetition and hard work. Kids from both WJ and Mechanicsburg have obviously put in a great amount of time, blood and sweat over the course of their football careers - I'm not going to say one worked harder than the other.

OHC - go ahead and hate WJ for whatever reason(s) you want but to say it is because of the #'s....that's weak on your part.
Very well said may I say

Look I hope our boys from the Burg get r done tomorrow no 2 way about it. But that part that is above in bold is impressive & true. Program builders and being part of something bigger than you matters. That is great for them and speaks well that that many can make that choice when they aren't starting or have some individual ranking by their name. Sincerely - good for them.

Now go Burg, Fight em!

I just want an injury free game. It will be a dandy for sure.
WJ has Fort Frye and Mech has Coldwater in their path to region champs. Good luck fellas.

Curious if WJ likes Region 23 more than Region 24 from a travel standpoint?
i would have to say no, all of the travel in R24 for WJ would be on 70/71/75. a lot more back roads and state routes in R23. but WJ will get at least 2 home games, then it’s neutral. neutral will favor WJ, as they will likely be in the Columbus area.

side note, how is WJ is R23, but the Chillicothe schools are still in R24?

i would have to say no, all of the travel in R24 for WJ would be on 70/71/75. a lot more back roads and state routes in R23. but WJ will get at least 2 home games, then it’s neutral. neutral will favor WJ, as they will likely be in the Columbus area.

side note, how is WJ is R23, but the Chillicothe schools are still in R24?
Chillicothe schools are split between 23 and 24

Down The Road quit your sandbagging!!!!!

NORTH title game
Offense rushing attack = BURG
Offense passing attack = WJ
Kicking game = push
Rushing defense = BURG
Passing defense = WJ
Coaching = push
Team speed = BURG
Tackling = BURG
Turnover ratio = WJ
Toughness & grit - push
Culture = push
Should make for another great football game!!! BURG has homefield advantage so that is another slight edge in their favor.

SOUTH title game (don't know as much about these teams, only seen Greenon this year)
Offense rushing attack = push
Offense passing attack = Gview
Kicking game = Gnon
Rushing defense = Gnon
Passing defense = Gnon
Coaching = push
Team speed = Gnon
Tackling = Gnon
Turnover ration = Gview
Toughness & grit = push
Culture = Gview
Really good football game with playoff implications!!!

Curious if WJ likes Region 23 more than Region 24 from a travel standpoint?
The travel never bothered me and I can’t speak for the fan base but I would think it is a non issue for most Wj fans. Growing up, my dad would rent a bus at times to go to the games. 3 games come to mind. One of our many playoff games against Versailles at Dayton Claymont (1986)? at North Bend Taylor (1989), and Wheelersburg (1992)? Lost 2 out of the 3. Beat North Bend Taylor. They had future NFL player Dana Stubblefield.

Down The Road quit your sandbagging!!!!!

NORTH title game
Offense rushing attack = BURG
Offense passing attack = WJ
Kicking game = push
Rushing defense = BURG
Passing defense = WJ
Coaching = push
Team speed = BURG
Tackling = BURG
Turnover ratio = WJ
Toughness & grit - push
Culture = push
Should make for another great football game!!! BURG has homefield advantage so that is another slight edge in their favor.

Zero sandbagging here. What I said about 25 seniors earlier 100% legit respect for kids willing to be part of a TEAM in 2021!! They will have an experience and memories for a lifetime that they'd never trade for a PR.
Your list is good and from a helicopter view close anyway. Way more little things that could be nit picked. I do believe the favorite has to be the roughriders, but I know the Burg boys will fight like hell and the ball will bounce the way the ball bounces!

Brutus - A lot of memories regarding those 3 games. The 1986 Versailles-WJ game was at Piqua, I think the 1987 game was at Dayton Claymont as was the 1998 game which WJ (coached by Rich Haskins) gave eventual state champ Versailles their closest game of the playoffs, something like a 18-12 final.

The 1992 Wheelersburg game I just remember how big the Burg was on the oline, how small WJ was, how WJ had about 8 guys going both ways and how good WJ’s rb Tony Amman was.

The 1989 game at North Bend Taylor I remember two things. 1) the corner of the end zone going up a hill and 2) a hit between WJ’s all time leading rusher Ron Mast and Taylor’s FB/LB Dana Stubblefield. As usual it was a WJ Con, Tailback 6 play and it was a clash/sound between two players that you don’t hear too often in any high school game. Mast hit the hole like he always did and Stubblefield filled from his lb position. I believe WJ won by 10 or 14 pts and I’m sure Mast ended up with 150+ yards. Could you imaging Mast in today’s game as a read option qb? I bet he would average 150 yards rushing and 150 yards passing a game. Stubblefield would go onto Kansas, become a NFL 1st round pick, the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and two years later the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Hard to believe we are closing out the 2021 regular season. And we made it through with only two (?) cancelled games? Best of luck to all tonight.

My picks:
West Jefferson 28, Mechanicsburg 21
Northeastern 42, Fairbanks 35
West Liberty-Salem 35, Triad 21
Greenon 21, Greeneview 17
Catholic Central 35, Southeastern 13
Cedarville 27, Madison Plains 21

The make-up game for WLS against Westfall next week has been cancelled by Westfall. So this is it for the 2021 Tigers. I hope the seniors go out with a big win, playing their best game of the year. If anything, 2021 has built a lot of character for one of the youngest and largest rosters (if not the largest) in WLS history.

@Brutus SG @WJ-OSU-STEELERS you 2 are showing your age.... ? I'll join in.

My first and fondest HS football memory was the 1990 Illinois 4A State Championship between my Geneseo Maple Leafs (alternately known as the Green Machine) and a Mike Alstott led Joliet Catholic team. It was my brother's sophomore year. My dad, uncle, cousin and I made the trip to Normal, IL (home of Illinois State) for the blustery cold game. We lost 21-20, but that's probably the night I fell in love with HS football.

WLS Color - Alstott was a beast in college & NFL. I can’t imagine trying to stop him for 4 quarters and I’m guessing 20+ carries.

I was 8, so I don't remember all of the details. I just remember he was huge and fast. Through some google research, seems like we did a decent job slowing him down; 87 rushing yards, 52 receiving. He had rushed for over 1700 on the season.

Was truly one of the best high school football games I can remember - let alone state championships. If you're interested in the story: (https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-11-24-9004090080-story.html)

All I know is that I cried for about half of the 2 hour car ride home. ?