Official 2020 Region 1 thread

The playoff structure is still a bit confusing by reading this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but D1 is only 1 week less than the other 6 divisions, but every division is going to start in Week 7 (with some top teams in the lower divisions getting first-round byes based on more teams in their fields), meaning the D1 championship game is a week earlier than the others. Right?

Regardless, the games that will decide the playoff seedings have been played after tonight. With what has happened through five weeks, here is my stab at how the bracket will pair out.

Top:

1. St. Edward (3-1)
16. GlenOak (0-5)

St. Edward is a lock for the No. 1 seed. GlenOak may not be the worst team but they are the only winless of the ones that have played a full schedule so I'll put them here.

8. Strongsville (2-2)
9. St. Ignatius (0-2)

Is Ignatius only the ninth best team? Probably not. But based on what there is to go off, and the vote being so GCC heavy, think Iggy gets pushed down this far.

4. Euclid (3-2)
13. Berea-Midpark (1-4)

Euclid's win over Medina, coupled with Stow falling short against Brecksville probably is enough to jump Euclid up to the 4 spot.

5. Stow (3-1)
12. Solon (0-2)

I can't see Stow getting into the top four nor Solon dropping below 12. Again, Solon in a normal season is way better than 12th, but even giving them this spot based off results is a bit generous.

---

Bottom:

2. Mentor (4-1)
15. Elyria (1-4)

Yawn. Rematch of tonight. The bottom four teams in this region are tough to predict how they will shake out, but doesn't matter for any of the top teams in the first round.

7. Medina (2-3)
10. Jackson (2-3)

Medina falls past Brunswick, based on H2H, in the GCC pecking order. I think Jackson, based off their schedule, stays above a 3-1 Cleveland Heights team.

3. McKinley (4-1)
14. Shaker Heights (2-2??? I'm assuming they beat Lutheran East, but haven't seen the score).

McKinley will be No. 3. Again, I'm not sure if it will be Shaker, but whatever.

6. Brunswick (3-2)
11. Cleveland Heights (3-1)

Heights is 3-1 playing a schedule that any of the 10 teams ahead would also be at least 3-1 against. Solon as well. Though think three wins, regardless of how they came, has to outweigh two 20 point losses against two very good teams to keep them ahead of Solon.

Yes start same week, ends 1 week earlier.

I can see Ignatius anywhere from 9 to 11. Wont really matter as long as the offense they face can score more than 10

St Ignatius is the biggest wildcard in this vote. They are the third best team in Region 1. Maybe I could hear an argument for 4th or 5th. No lower than that. Every team in the region (sans St Eds) would be 0-2 with their schedule. And all of them (sans Mentor) would have fared worse, MUCH worse in those games against St Eds and Massillon.

If I were voting, I would make them anywhere between 3rd-5th. Ignatius would smoke Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, Heights, and Stow.

How I would vote:

1. St Eds
2. Mentor
3. St Ignatius
4. McKinley
5. Euclid
6. Stow
7. Brunswick
8. Medina
9. Strongsville
10. Cleveland Heights
11. Jackson
12. Solon
13. Berea
14. Shaker
15. GlenOak
16. Elyria

The playoff structure is still a bit confusing by reading this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but D1 is only 1 week less than the other 6 divisions, but every division is going to start in Week 7 (with some top teams in the lower divisions getting first-round byes based on more teams in their fields), meaning the D1 championship game is a week earlier than the others. Right?

Regardless, the games that will . With what has happened through five weeks, here is my stab at how the bracket will pair out.

Top:

1. St. Edward (3-1)
16. GlenOak (0-5)

St. Edward is a lock for the No. 1 seed. GlenOak may not be the worst team but they are the only winless of the ones that have played a full schedule so I'll put them here.

8. Strongsville (2-2)
9. St. Ignatius (0-2)

Is Ignatius only the ninth best team? Probably not. But based on what there is to go off, and the vote being so GCC heavy, think Iggy gets pushed down this far.

4. Euclid (3-2)
13. Berea-Midpark (1-4)

Euclid's win over Medina, coupled with Stow falling short against Brecksville probably is enough to jump Euclid up to the 4 spot.

5. Stow (3-1)
12. Solon (0-2)

I can't see Stow getting into the top four nor Solon dropping below 12. Again, Solon in a normal season is way better than 12th, but even giving them this spot based off results is a bit generous.

---

Bottom:

2. Mentor (4-1)
15. Elyria (1-4)

Yawn. Rematch of tonight. The bottom four teams in this region are tough to predict how they will shake out, but doesn't matter for any of the top teams in the first round.

7. Medina (2-3)
10. Jackson (2-3)

Medina falls past Brunswick, based on H2H, in the GCC pecking order. I think Jackson, based off their schedule, stays above a 3-1 Cleveland Heights team.

3. McKinley (4-1)
14. Shaker Heights (2-2??? I'm assuming they beat Lutheran East, but haven't seen the score).

McKinley will be No. 3. Again, I'm not sure if it will be Shaker, but whatever.

6. Brunswick (3-2)
11. Cleveland Heights (3-1)

Heights is 3-1 playing a schedule that any of the 10 teams ahead would also be at least 3-1 against. Solon as well. Though think three wins, regardless of how they came, has to outweigh two 20 point losses against two very good teams to keep them ahead of Solon.

I do not think St Ignatius can jump past 10.

1. St Eds
2. Mentor
3. Euclid
4. McKinley
5. Stow
6. Brunswick
7. Medina
8. St Ignatius
9. Cleveland Hts
10. Strongsville
11. Jackson
12. Solon
13. Elyria
14. Berea
15. GlenOak
16. Shaker

Every coach will be will have their own thought and seed off of different views. My justified seedings are below. It is hard to think that Ignatius is not better than a lot of these teams but if we’re looking at this year’s body of work here it is..

1. Eds 4-1
Three big wins Vs Ignatius, Mentor, and Massillon locks up the one seed. QB Christian Ramos gets better every week. The Eds defense has found the right pieces and have not allowed a 50 yards rushing in three straight weeks, while adding 12 turnovers.

2. Mentor 4-1
They have been dominant in conference play and lost a close one to Eds. This is a easy lock at two and I imagine they will get some first place votes. Ian Kipp is a 3 yr starter and weapons are getting dialed in. They are not the same team with the loss of Luke F. and Trobel, but Mentor is Mentor.
They are solid across-the-board as usual.
They win games.

3. McKinley 4-1
Only lost to a undefeated Perry team. Side note :They are led by a stud QB but I can’t quite figure them out. They are inconsistent on the defensive side.

4. Stow 3-1
This one is tough at four. This team hasn’t played up to their capabilities but their only loss is by a few points to a good Brecksville team. The other tough part is their wins we’re not convincing against lower level competition. For me this is the one team that Has the biggest window of seeding opportunity.

5. Brunswick 3-2
Lost to Euclid week one by touchdown and looked ugly verse Mentor. Big win here were they beat Medina. They beat Strongsville by more than Euclid. (Euclid did play Mentor better). Could be at 6.

6 Euclid 3-2
Played Mentor decent, squeaked by Medina by 3, but had a ugly loss to Strongsville 2 weeks ago. Brunswick handled Strongsville last week which gave them the edge. Wk 1 game Euclid won by 7 vs Brunswick. Any other week they might have been switched.

7. Medina 2-3
Played Mentor well before QB injury. Other 2 losses by 7 and 3. Beat Strongsville 34-7. This can be a dangerous team at 7.

8. Strongsville 2-2
The Euclid win saves them at 8.

9 Cle Hts. 3-1
No real good wind compared to the level of competition in this region. Euclid beat them pretty bad. Still 3 wins.

10. St Ignatius 1-2
This is a very dangerous team who will only get better. They have dealt with a lot due to the virus and are still finding their playmakers. They were shut out to Eds and lost to Massillon, where the wheels fell off late. I do think they are a top 4 team in the region. No wins.

11. Jackson 2-3
They got rocked by McKinley weak one. Their two wins are not great but and also have two one point losses. Best thing going is the game vs a undefeated Perry, lost by one point.

12. Elyria. 1-4
Medina handed them a bad loss but they had a good win over smaller Elyria Catholic by 20. They were also able to score multiple touchdowns against a few conference opponents.

13. Solon 0-2
Got over Shaker. Shaker lost by 25 to Kirtland, Solon lost by 20.

14. Shaker 1-3
It is what it is here.

15. Berea 1-4
Gave up 63 points twice and they’re only when was gonna say one win Midview team. Also plays D2 competition in conference.

16. Glen Oak. 0-5
No wins against worse competition than most teams in 1. Loop

I do not think St Ignatius can jump past 10.

Depends on the attitude of the coaches attending. When they consider the small sample of St Ignatius (two closes losses to Eds/Massillon, both are in the top 5-7 teams in the entire state), I don't know how any rationally minded, non-biased coach would go into the meeting believing that teams like Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, or Stow have done enough to justify a ranking ahead of St Ignatius. All of those teams have losses, most have multiple losses. Yes, all of them have wins (something Ignatius doesn't technically have), but come on. We know Ignatius would be 4-1 or better with any of their schedules. And it is very likely that all four of those teams would've gotten smoked by Eds and Massillon.

If the purpose of the seeding is to determine which team you want to avoid playing most, I guarantee every coach at the meeting would place St Ignatius no lower than 3rd or 4th.

Depends on the attitude of the coaches attending. When they consider the small sample of St Ignatius (two closes losses to Eds/Massillon, both are in the top 5-7 teams in the entire state), I don't know how any rationally minded, non-biased coach would go into the meeting believing that teams like Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, or Stow have done enough to justify a ranking ahead of St Ignatius. All of those teams have losses, most have multiple losses. Yes, all of them have wins (something Ignatius doesn't technically have), but come on. We know Ignatius would be 4-1 or better with any of their schedules. And it is very likely that all four of those teams would've gotten smoked by Eds and Massillon.

If the purpose of the seeding is to determine which team you want to avoid playing most, I guarantee every coach at the meeting would place St Ignatius no lower than 3rd or 4th.
I completely agree Ignatius would be 4-1 or better. They are a Top 3-5 team in the Region.

As you said what attitude or approach will the coaches take. There will be many different approaches across the board. Will the GCC team coaches think similar? It’s hard to tell. Will they look at the records only?
I guess I am leaning towards more coaches looking at the records.

It will be interesting to see what comes out this week and what side of the bracket Iggy will be on, Eds or Mentor side. Question for you. Do you think if Euclid played a perfect game they could beat Mentor?

With Shaker losing to Lutheran East. They have to be the 16th seed right? If they can't opt out still
I think Shaker at 16 is a unlikely but if they were at 16, it would not be a huge surprise. The LE loss hurt them. Prior to that their one win came vs a Garfield Hts team that scored 6 pts all season. You could argue a 5 pts loss to Bedford maybe when you compare them to Berea who got spanked multiple times. The more I look into this Canton Glen Oak with two close loses, Berea could make a case for the 16 seed even with the 1 win.

My initial thought when I see local rankings with Kirtland and Brunswick ranked above Ignatius in football is: "No effing way."

Then i think about it more and realize, maybe they are better. Maybe that's what it's come to for Ignatius football.

Kirtland would beat st Ignatius.
I'm sure the student athletes at Kirtland are great kids with a passion for for the game, but any D1 Ignatius team would absolutely crush any D5 Kirtland team. Sometimes I think you spout this nonsense just to laugh when you get people like me to respond. If so, you got me, so enjoy the laugh.

For what it is worth Kirtland has beat Eds and Ignatius at Fresh and JV levels a few times in the past few years.

For what it is worth Kirtland has beat Eds and Ignatius at Fresh and JV levels a few times in the past few years.

And all of those were "B" games in which the kids who never play got a chance to play, so there is no real significance.

Let's get back on topic, although the seedings are still two days away. I always liked to play teams that we have either never played or haven't played in many years. I really enjoyed seeing Perry a few years ago and getting to view the well-timed running attack. Given these circumstances, those teams would include: Stow, Brunswick, Medina, Cle Hts, Strongsville, Elyria, Shaker, Berea-Midpark, and maybe McKinley ( played just in the jamborees). I hear Medina has a potent passing offense; that would be cool to face. It's just disappointing to play a team that you've already played that year right off the bat. Although, this year, given the circumstances of few spectators and no streaming coverage. a lot of the excitement of seeing a new team will be tempered. I wonder if other feel the same way about teams you haven't played.

I'm not even disagreeing with you overall as I think Ignatius is probably a top 5 team. But I guess I don't get how 0-17 and 14-20 losses against, albeit, two very good teams justifies them being ranked so high. Honestly the margin between the top 2 and all the way down to 12 is probably as small as it has ever been, because neither Eds nor Mentor appear to have one of their better teams.... and nobody has jumped up to show they are at those teams' usual tier (or even a usual Iggy tier).

Personally, I think there are teams in the 3-8 range that could realistically have beaten the Cardinal Sycamore team by as much as Iggy did and could have touted "good" losses to Eds/Massillon by similar margins. But sans McKinley don't have the name associated with it (and no way Iggy deserves to be above McKinley anyway).

Btw, why don't you include Euclid in your teams that have no chance against Ignatius??? Not just that last post either.

Last edited:
Btw, why don't you include Euclid in your teams that have no chance against Ignatius??? Not just that last post either.

I didn’t include McKinley either. I think the Pups and Panthers have earned their place slightly above the next tier of Region 1 teams. Both programs have won multiple playoff games lately. I don’t think either would beat St Ignatius either, even though both have the talent to do so.

I could see the coaches voting Ignatius at #8 or #9 in order that the 2nd round is a rematch between the Cats and the Eagles.
That would leave the semifinals and finals with only 1 of the Saints