Number of Stars

bkmk1

The proof is in the pudding. I read an article that showed the number of 5 stars, 4 star, 3 star players Bama and Michigan has this season. here is the breakdown:

5 stars:
Bama 12, Michigan 2

4 stars:
Bama 58, Michigan 44

3 stars:
Bama 10, Michigan 46

I need to find out osu 5-4-3 stars. That would be telling as well I'm sure.
Give me coaches that develop players. Go Blue!

The proof is in the pudding. I read an article that showed the number of 5 stars, 4 star, 3 star players Bama and Michigan has this season. here is the breakdown:

5 stars:
Bama 12, Michigan 2

4 stars:
Bama 58, Michigan 44

3 stars:
Bama 10, Michigan 46

In all fairness, this is a one game sample. And of course I know you're looking at the previous two years vs OSU as well. But if you look at the bigger picture, and CFB champs, in no particular order, here's the list: Georgia, Bama, LSU, Clemson, OSU, FSU, Florida, Texas, USC, etc. And I'm not suggesting that recruiting rankings are definitive indicators of ultimate success, because coaching clearly matters. But the trend of teams winning Natty's seem to back that up more than they don't.

In all fairness, this is a one game sample. And of course I know you're looking at the previous two years vs OSU as well. But if you look at the bigger picture, and CFB champs, in no particular order, here's the list: Georgia, Bama, LSU, Clemson, OSU, FSU, Florida, Texas, USC, etc. And I'm not suggesting that recruiting rankings are definitive indicators of ultimate success, because coaching clearly matters. But the trend of teams winning Natty's seem to back that up more than they don't.
I'm not disagreeing. Let's face it, If I have better "so called" players than you, and I am favored in 99% of the games I play, the odds are in my favor. But we also know, ask any coach: would you rather coach a very talented team that isn't tight knit, doesn't have the best chemistry, may not do every rep 100%, etc.. or a team with less talent, that's got amazing chemistry, and gives 150% every rep. We all know the answer. And this Michigan team is special and has truly been on a mission for 2-3 years. And I will also agree with a poster that mentioned, you can build and talk about culture as a coach all you want. And yes a coach can improve it. But when it's genuine and comes from within the locker room, that is a wow.

5 stars:
Bama 12, Michigan 2

4 stars:
Bama 58, Michigan 44

3 stars:
Bama 10, Michigan 46

As mentioned this is one sample.

Going back 20 years the team with the most talent (top 3) has usually won the title. Since the playoff in 2014 that has been the case, until this year. Two things have affected that. One being Covid, which has allowed players to stick around and play college football until they are 23 and 24 years old (Corum, Sanistril, and Penix are all 23). The other being the portal. This is still a one off.

Going back 20 years the team with the most talent (top 3) has usually won the title. Since the playoff in 2014 that has been the case, until this year. Two things have affected that. One being Covid, which has allowed players to stick around and play college football until they are 23 and 24 years old (Corum, Sanistril, and Penix are all 23). The other being the portal. This is still a one off.
This, without the portal Washington (Penix) and TTUN (2/3 starters on the o line) would not be in the championship game and most likely not in the CFP.

This, without the portal Washington (Penix) and TTUN (2/3 starters on the o line) would not be in the championship game and most likely not in the CFP.
Complete speculation. Not fact. Michigan is a very deep team. That is by design. They don't have a ton of transfer portal kids. But the ones that do start, many rotate and the kid behind them is just as good. Like I've said, they DEVELOP! Probably as well as any coaching staff in the country. Best OLineman from Michigan goes down (Zak Zinter - 1st team all American. Because of how they develop players and rotate them all year, they are able to overcome that loss. Not because of the portal, but because they develop! Go Blue!

Last edited:

In the present I think this (at least under the right environment and circumstances) matters just as much as the blue chip ratio. Age and maturity is an enormous advantage IMO, especially in the trenches where the body development of players is dramatic over the course of their careers. I would bet there are a lot of "over achiever" rosters right now that have an average player age that's similar or higher to what BYU usually looks like with guys that went on 2 year religious missions before starting school.

The last couple years it's been very noticeable in college basketball as well. Having 23 or 24 year old players that should be playing professionally overseas is a big equalizer to someone else's 18 and 19 year old blue chip recruits.

In the present I think this (at least under the right environment and circumstances) matters just as much as the blue chip ratio. Age and maturity is an enormous advantage IMO, especially in the trenches where the body development of players is dramatic over the course of their careers. I would bet there are a lot of "over achiever" rosters right now that have an average player age that's similar or higher to what BYU usually looks like with guys that went on 2 year religious missions before starting school.

The last couple years it's been very noticeable in college basketball as well. Having 23 or 24 year old players that should be playing professionally overseas is a big equalizer to someone else's 18 and 19 year old blue chip recruits.
Correct. Game has changed and UM has done a really good job navigating. Depth and maturity matter. Some of these guys would normally be in their second year of the NFL. The difference between a 23 year old and a 19-20 year old is pretty substantial from a physical standpoint not to mention all of the reps and experience.

Bama was the most talented team in the country this year but they were young.

There is something to be said about the unique and difficult ability to develop a bunch of 3 and 4 stars and sprinkle in some key portal guys. Watching UM, they have a true system of development. Guys have been around. It is easy to do when winning, but in today’s instant gratification world, the minute you lose, 20 kids seem to enter the portal. Michigan has by and large been able to avoid that. Perhaps a model going forward might be success through character Kids who will stick it out, grow, and learn a system. A bunch of 3 stars who will, as Bo used to say, “those who stay, will be champions.”

Personally, I’d love to see it because it would turn the portal on its head. AND TBH it was getting really old seeing the top 4 talented teams in the country compete for a title every year.

Probably wishful thinking but one can dream.

Last edited:
Correct. Game has changed and UM has done a really good job navigating. Depth and maturity matter. Some of these guys would normally be in their second year of the NFL. The difference between a 23 year old and a 19-20 year old is pretty substantial from a physical standpoint not to mention all of the reps and experience.

Bama is the most talented team in the country this year but they were young.

There is something to be said about the unique and difficult ability to develop a bunch of 3 and 4 stars and sprinkle in some key portal guys. Watching UM, they have a true system of development. Guys have been around. It is easy to do when winning, but in today’s instant gratification world, the minute you lose, 20 kids seem to enter the portal. Michigan has by and large been able to avoid that. Perhaps a model going forward might be success through character Kids who will stick it out, grow, and learn a system. A bunch of 3 stars who willas Bo used to say, “those who stay, will be champions.”

Personally, I’d love to see it because it would turn the portal on its head. AND TBH it was getting really old seeing the top 4 talented teams in the country compete for a title every year.

Probably wishful thinking but one can dream.
Very well put.