Northwest Conference 2022

Sounded like a hard fought rivalry battle between Crestview vs Wayne Trace from the parts I heard on the radio while watching the webcast of Indiana teams.

Non Conference is over and league play starts this coming week . NWC is sitting at 12-12 for the non conference schedule. Any surprises so far this year?
I thought the Ada win and final score was good for your team. After some woes, putting 57 on the scoreboard had to feel good.

I'm pleasantly surprised the Knights are 3-0 and come in ranked #8 in DVII.

Slightly surprised we didn't have one or two more undefeated teams going into conference play.

I thought the Ada win and final score was good for your team. After some woes, putting 57 on the scoreboard had to feel good.

Slightly surprised we didn't have one or two more undefeated teams going into conference play.
What is your breakdown of the Allen East vs Crestview matchup?

If you can find the stats from the 1st 2 games, Ada matched up well with both Waynesfield and Arlington (I think Ada actually out gained Arlington on the ground) But Ada would look very good on D then give up a big play or shoot themselves i the foot with a stupid penalty. Against HN, they were the better team that night but again, shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes or penalties. They clean them up, they will be ok. Not yet this year, but give Coach Smith another year, maybe 2 and they could be competing again with the upper echelon of the NWC. He has them on the right track. Increased his numbers this year by 13-14 kids if not mistaken so that is a plus

Leipsic lost to PG 33-21. That is what was really surprising.
Leipsic trailed 27-21and threw threw an interception in the end zone middle of the 4th qtr. Leipsics in ability to come up with a big play or stop defensively appears to be the Achilles heal at this moment. PG scored with a minute left. This team will get better each week as they are playing six different sophomores. Typically Leipsic is playing their best ball in the second half of the season.

What is your breakdown of the Allen East vs Crestview matchup?
Allen East has a really good QB. I would say possibly the best in the conference. He will be a focus for the defense. However, with Penix and Kline starting to chew up yards on the ground, I think that'll be the difference in the game for the Knights. I expect Crestview to slow the tempo somewhat and grind it out against the Mustangs. The Sheets kid is due for a breakout game too. He has had some great all around games, but at 6 foot 5 and the best athlete on the field in most any game he steps foot on the field, he will be a difference maker in conference play. I'm calling the Knights by a score.

3 scores? And saying Allen East could pretty much do whatever they wanted on offense for most of the night
Crestview was 5 yards away from making it 22-18 at one point in the 3rd and couldn’t convert. They had the ball almost the whole 3rd quarter too after receding the kickoff. Didn’t seem like a blowout to me.

Crestview was 5 yards away from making it 22-18 at one point in the 3rd and couldn’t convert. They had the ball almost the whole 3rd quarter too after receding the kickoff. Didn’t seem like a blowout to me.
Well if we’re gonna play that game, then AE left 3 scores on the board, making it 43-12?

Well if we’re gonna play that game, then AE left 3 scores on the board, making it 43-12?
Sure say that but to say AE dominated from the beginning for a “blowout” doesn’t make sense. This wasn’t a blowout to me. It was a good game throughout.

I'm not sure you watched the game by the comments. However, the one thing you said was spot on. As I noted in the days up to the game, AE has probably the best QB in the conference. Between his threat to run and the AE running back, the Mustangs came out swinging early. They were bigger and stronger on the lines and beat up Crestview's players. While Penix and Kline had very decent games, the passing game was not there for Crestview as the AE defense had a great pass rush. The two early scores before Crestview settled in were the decisive factors. It was a fight the final three quarters. Hats off to Allen East for winning in the trenches. That was a physical, smash mouth game by two very tough teams. AE was simply tougher Friday night.

I'm not sure you watched the game by the comments. However, the one thing you said was spot on. As I noted in the days up to the game, AE has probably the best QB in the conference. Between his threat to run and the AE running back, the Mustangs came out swinging early. They were bigger and stronger on the lines and beat up Crestview's players. While Penix and Kline had very decent games, the passing game was not there for Crestview as the AE defense had a great pass rush. The two early scores before Crestview settled in were the decisive factors. It was a fight the final three quarters. Hats off to Allen East for winning in the trenches. That was a physical, smash mouth game by two very tough teams. AE was simply tougher Friday night.
This is the exact reason Crestview shouldn't have dropped youth tackle football. It's going to be harder to match physicality in the future.

The physicality of high school players has absolutely nothing to do with them playing youth football ages 9-12.
They need to have 5th & 6th grade tackle. I've watched parts of their MS scrimmage and they could be ahead of the curve if they keep tackle at 5th & 6th. You build up each year. Injuries & concussions come from improper technique more than anything, thus why you need the right people at each level and not just dads. The physicality at HS does come from at least 6th grade on up. Outside of the MAC, it's easy to tell which programs are doing it correctly. We've already went back & forth on this with different opinions, so we'll just leave it at that.

They need to have 5th & 6th grade tackle. I've watched parts of their MS scrimmage and they could be ahead of the curve if they keep tackle at 5th & 6th. You build up each year. Injuries & concussions come from improper technique more than anything, thus why you need the right people at each level and not just dads. The physicality at HS does come from at least 6th grade on up. Outside of the MAC, it's easy to tell which programs are doing it correctly. We've already went back & forth on this with different opinions, so we'll just leave it at that.
Crestview has much bigger problems than lack of tackle football at elementary level. They have a QB who is injured and even when healthy can't see the field. They have a RB who is small and who they continue to try to utilize while they have better options. They have an OL that is undersized compared to almost everyone they play, also with multiple injuries.

They simply got out played by a bigger, stronger, more physical Allen East team!

Crestview has much bigger problems than lack of tackle football at elementary level. They have a QB who is injured and even when healthy can't see the field. They have a RB who is small and who they continue to try to utilize while they have better options. They have an OL that is undersized compared to almost everyone they play, also with multiple injuries.

They simply got out played by a bigger, stronger, more physical Allen East team!
Goes hand & hand with that physicality and knowing when the weight room is needed. Why they need to push the wrestling team more (but I'm biased about that since I'm connected to the wrestling program there). That 5th & 6th grade lineman can make a nice FB/RB in high school if you have enough OL bodies. I've been an outsider to their FB program, but if my stepson is going to play there, I'd like for the program to take advantage of the young athletes I see on the basketball floor, wrestling mat, and ball diamonds. They have some athletic 5th & 4th graders with a few having good size.

Hunter - 53% completion percentage with 667, 6TDs and 2 INTs
Kline - 351 yards and 3 TDs with a 5.1 YPC average
Penix - 111 yards and 1 TD with a 5.0 YPC average
Defense giving up 253 Yards and 15 points per game

They did have a hard time on the line last week, as AE was very strong and the Knights have some lingering injuries along the line. I don't know where the bashing of the offense comes from. Stats don't lie.