Northern Lakes League 2019 (NLL)

Talked to a few guys that went to the Southview scrimmage against Clay and they said it's gonna be a long year for SV. I feel bad for the new coach, I hope they give him a few years to try and build the program back up.

Coach Rowe is inheriting a team that went 0-10, 2-8, and 3-7 since having a winning season. They have 30 more boys than they had last year and the kids are motivated. It does take some time to turn a program around. He'll get the time to do it.

Scrimmage updates
Clay 14 Southview 0
Anthony Wayne 21 Whitmer 21
Northview 21 Fremont Ross 0

Any more updates?

Springfield is playing Wapakoneta week 1 in 2020. I think that will be an interesting matchup as Wapakoneta doesn’t usually see the athletes that Springfield has and Springfield doesn’t usually see the physicality that Wapakoneta brings.

Springfield is playing Wapakoneta week 1 in 2020. I think that will be an interesting matchup as Wapakoneta doesn’t usually see the athletes that Springfield has and Springfield doesn’t usually see the physicality that Wapakoneta brings.
Have you ever seen Napoleon play?

Springfield will probably have a new coach

Wapakoneta would destroy Napoleon.

Take it from the one team who plays both.

Thanks. I thought this past Defiance team was one of the best Defiance teams in a while. If you flip around those close loses to Elida (46-42) and OG (9-7) they are 6-4 and most likely a 6-8 seed in region 10. And considering how weak the top of region 10 was, they could have made it past the first round. I was quite surprised Wapak, St. Mary’s and Van Wert beat them as bad as they did. I feel like the loss to OG deflated them and they had no motivation the last 3 weeks of the season.

Didn't Defiance lose some guys late in the season? Either way not the same from week 1 and week 7 AND the Napoleon/Defiance game is a rivalry.

Regardless, Wapak was very good last year. Losing in semis right? To a D-III Catholic? Unsure your understanding of Holland Springfield is what you think it is? Aside from Koback and Hicks and a couple others (Harrison) the Blue Devils have not really been some talent laden team. They are very much a suburban white school for the most part and knowing the WBL well over the years you guys see the same kind of talent week in and week out for the most part.

I also doubt their coach will be around next season.

As for Napoleon they had some very good and tough teams not long ago. Like most isolated public schools it all comes in waves.

Good luck this season.

Wapakoneta would destroy Napoleon.

Take it from the one team who plays both.

Never said that they wouldn't. My point is and like irish_buffalo stated Napoleon has had some tough kids. No matter what they always have played Springfield tough.

Didn't Defiance lose some guys late in the season? Either way not the same from week 1 and week 7 AND the Napoleon/Defiance game is a rivalry.

Regardless, Wapak was very good last year. Losing in semis right? To a D-III Catholic? Unsure your understanding of Holland Springfield is what you think it is? Aside from Koback and Hicks and a couple others (Harrison) the Blue Devils have not really been some talent laden team. They are very much a suburban white school for the most part and knowing the WBL well over the years you guys see the same kind of talent week in and week out for the most part.

I also doubt their coach will be around next season.

As for Napoleon they had some very good and tough teams not long ago. Like most isolated public schools it all comes in waves.

Good luck this season.

By talent i meant black kids because well, the WBL is mainly white outside of a few kids from Elida and the other Lima suburbs schools. I’m not trying to make it a race thing but we all know that usually the teams that are full of black kids aren’t always necessarily better, but are more athletic. I saw Springfield this past year had quite a few black kids, or more than what the WBL produces.

When it comes to skill positions (DB/RB/WR) Springfield has sent 1 kid D1 over the past 5 years (Koback - Hicks & Witcher could have - so MAYBE 3). I do not think Springfield is any more "athletic" (codespeak) than Wapakoneta is tougher. We figured out how you measure athleticism, tell us how you measure team toughness?

Springfield has been very athletic and beal is at UT as a reciever while Jackson was just as good in 2017, Johnson has an offer from Tiffin as a reciever and only because hes 5'10 165 he isnt getting D1 looks. I think we are severely underestimating the athletes springfield has had the last 4 years just because those kids didnt end up at D1 schools. I agree it is likely Gucc wont be there next year and I think its also fairly likely the program begins to drop back to the middle of the NLL or lower starting this year because I dont think they have the size up front they have had in years past along with a D1 caliber qb throwing it around like theyve had with Gucciardo and Seymour before him.

My 2019 League prediction has only slightly changed to this point, mainly because Perrysburg added a D1 offensive lineman.
1.) Anthony Wayne - More vulnerable than years past maybe with a new qb and some key players gone but they still have about 6 kids already commited to some level of college football and will be as tough inside as any team in the league.
2.) Perrysburg - RB is their one dynamic skill player but they should have a decent line and Simms back at qb. I think it will still take a lot for them to top AW but stranger things have happened.
3.) BG - Return a lot on the lines and have been solid every year under this staff, expect it to be a grind but they come out on top more often than not.
4.) Springfield - May struggle more than this prediction even indicates but they still have a lot of overall talent and their success will largely depend on their line play and the play of a transfer qb from Scott. I think anywhere from 2-6 is possible for the Blue Devils this year.
5.) Maumee - The Panthers will have strong backfield play with Brookshier at RB and Marvin at Qb, I think the program is on an upturn the next few years and will be able to compete with the top half of the conference this year and should be dangerous next year.
6.) Northview - A D1 athlete at qb and a D1 lineman make this an interesting team but Im not sure they have nearly as much skill around those two as they had in 2017 when they were able to win some big games.
7.) Napoleon - May be able to move all the way up to the top four but I think they lost more up front than they are able to replace but should have a strong rb and their qb returns as well.
8.) Southview - Lost a lot of 3 and 4 year varsity guys to graduation and with low numbers I see them struggling to match up this year.

Springfield has been very athletic and beal is at UT as a reciever while Jackson was just as good in 2017, Johnson has an offer from Tiffin as a reciever and only because hes 5'10 165 he isnt getting D1 looks. I think we are severely underestimating the athletes springfield has had the last 4 years just because those kids didnt end up at D1 schools. I agree it is likely Gucc wont be there next year and I think its also fairly likely the program begins to drop back to the middle of the NLL or lower starting this year because I dont think they have the size up front they have had in years past along with a D1 caliber qb throwing it around like theyve had with Gucciardo and Seymour before him.

My 2019 League prediction has only slightly changed to this point, mainly because Perrysburg added a D1 offensive lineman.
1.) Anthony Wayne - More vulnerable than years past maybe with a new qb and some key players gone but they still have about 6 kids already commited to some level of college football and will be as tough inside as any team in the league.
2.) Perrysburg - RB is their one dynamic skill player but they should have a decent line and Simms back at qb. I think it will still take a lot for them to top AW but stranger things have happened.
3.) BG - Return a lot on the lines and have been solid every year under this staff, expect it to be a grind but they come out on top more often than not.
4.) Springfield - May struggle more than this prediction even indicates but they still have a lot of overall talent and their success will largely depend on their line play and the play of a transfer qb from Scott. I think anywhere from 2-6 is possible for the Blue Devils this year.
5.) Maumee - The Panthers will have strong backfield play with Brookshier at RB and Marvin at Qb, I think the program is on an upturn the next few years and will be able to compete with the top half of the conference this year and should be dangerous next year.
6.) Northview - A D1 athlete at qb and a D1 lineman make this an interesting team but Im not sure they have nearly as much skill around those two as they had in 2017 when they were able to win some big games.
7.) Napoleon - May be able to move all the way up to the top four but I think they lost more up front than they are able to replace but should have a strong rb and their qb returns as well.
8.) Southview - Lost a lot of 3 and 4 year varsity guys to graduation and with low numbers I see them struggling to match up this year.

Newsflash: Every QB Gooch has coached put up numbers. It does not mean they are D1 caliber. Seymour and AJ were very good QB's and nobody coaches the deep ball like Gooch but either were/are D1 QB's. AJ might be at UT but he is not on scholarship and he will never see the field. The same can be said of Beale. Jackson is good, but he is probably DII. Robinson was solid as well. Still not D1.

So, over the last 5 years you have Koback and Long on full scholarship.

Very good by Holland Springfield standards but not necessarily an "athletic" powerhouse by HSFootball45's standards.

When it comes to skill positions (DB/RB/WR) Springfield has sent 1 kid D1 over the past 5 years (Koback - Hicks & Witcher could have - so MAYBE 3). I do not think Springfield is any more "athletic" (codespeak) than Wapakoneta is tougher. We figured out how you measure athleticism, tell us how you measure team toughness?

I’m not sure you can necessarily use a metric to determine how “tough” a team is, but when a team has consistently made it to the playoffs and has deep playoff runs when running a Wing T and being a extremely predominately white school (i think since Moyer came to Wapak there has been no more than 5 black kids on his team), you could say they are pretty tough.

I’m not sure you can necessarily use a metric to determine how “tough” a team is, but when a team has consistently made it to the playoffs and has deep playoff runs when running a Wing T and being a extremely predominately white school (i think since Moyer came to Wapak there has been no more than 5 black kids on his team), you could say they are pretty tough.
You say there is not a metric to determine toughness for a football team yet you point to race to do so?

You should probably just quit at this point and crawl back to some beat your chest Wapak thread.

You say there is not a metric to determine toughness for a football team yet you point to race to do so?

You should probably just quit at this point and crawl back to some beat your chest Wapak thread.

I’m saying there is not a stat you can use to say a team is tough like stretchers per game or concussions given per quarter but judged by their success, talent level and style of play, you can say a team is tough.

By talent i meant black kids because well, the WBL is mainly white outside of a few kids from Elida and the other Lima suburbs schools. I’m not trying to make it a race thing but we all know that usually the teams that are full of black kids aren’t always necessarily better, but are more athletic. I saw Springfield this past year had quite a few black kids, or more than what the WBL produces.

Wow are you Joe Biden? Gaff alert.....

Hmmmm, at any rate, I guess a deep playoff run is playing in Regional Championship game? Which Wapak had done 3x in it's 10 postseason trips. I suppose my standards are set higher. Deep run for me is State Final Four and beyond.

He thinks he's being pragmatic, not racist. I wonder how he measures "smart?" Sometimes the nicest people are the hardest to educate. Bet he's really old. Is that a stereotype? My bad. :D

HighSchoolFB45 No one is trying to run you off, but just suggest that words matter.

Sometimes, usually they reflect the heart. I don't think anyone is getting that opinion of you but measuring "athlete," "smart" by race, pigeon holes kids. Kids, even parents are that way, they believe nonsense when it seems "pragmatic," so they don't try. They put their efforts where a pigeon holing society tells them they are naturally best. Meanwhile, society loses good talent. It never gives that diamond in the rough a chance because they don't fit the stereotype. Society doesn't even recognize the obvious excel, because their head is full of stereotypes that just simply are not true to the natural abilities of people.

Last edited:
He thinks he's being pragmatic, not racist. I wonder how he measures "smart?" Sometimes the nicest people are the hardest to educate. Bet he's really old. Is that a stereotype? My bad. :D

HighSchoolFB45 No one is trying to run you off, but just suggest that words matter.

Sometimes, usually they reflect the heart. I don't think anyone is getting that opinion of you but measuring "athlete," "smart" by race, pigeon holes kids. Kids, even parents are that way, they believe nonsense when it seems "pragmatic," so they don't try. They put their efforts where a pigeon holing society tells them they are naturally best. Meanwhile, society loses good talent. It never gives that diamond in the rough a chance because they don't fit the stereotype. Society doesn't even recognize the obvious excel, because their head is full of stereotypes that just simply are not true to the natural abilities of people.

When did i ever use “smart” as a stereotype? I just said that there aren’t that many purely athletic teams in the WBL because in this area there aren’t many blacks. I’m not saying one race is better. I’m not saying that white’s are not athletic. Wapakoneta had one of the fastest and most explosive PLAYERS i’ve ever seen a few years ago (Cameron Lauck) who was white. It is just a fact that blacks are usually more athletic than whites. Look at the olympics, the NBA, the NFL. There are also many non-black players that aren’t in those leagues, but the majority is black. It’s not racist it is just how it is.

To be honest I do not believe you meant anything per say. It is subconsciously something that you do not even realize you infer.

I remember when people said black people could not coach. I also remember when people thought black players could not play quarterback (30% of NFL QBs vs 12.7% of US Population).

Toughness is not measured by the color of your skin nor is athleticism. We have all seen some tough football teams. It is a culture that is usually passed down from the coach or community. That would have been the good answer. It has nothing to do with the running the WingT or only having a handful of black kids over the years.

I've seen some really athletic "white" teams and some really tough "black" teams but race or color is not a precursor for either attribute.

Last edited:
Kind of a ‘clunky’ scrimmage last night at AW as they hosted Central Catholic. Neither team moved the ball with any rhythm early and then CCHS finally got the field stretched for a long TD pass. Second week in a row the Irish D looked really fast and physical.
Congrats to AW on their out of league schedule, way to stay away from Woodward.

Spoke to someone who attended the Springfield vs. Toledo Waite scrimmage. Granted this is second hand but he stated the score was even and that Pratt (Waite QB) is awfully good.