Noah Rich / Franklin

This is a serious question.

Do you really commit to a D-3 school since there is no scholarship involved? Would it be sufficient to say a kid will enroll at a school and play basketball.

Do you really commit to a D-3 school since there is no scholarship involved? Would it be sufficient to say a kid will enroll at a school and play basketball.
I think you do. The player makes it known what their intentions are that way.

No scholarships involved? Technically that is correct but there are some amazing amounts of money available for the right D3 player. Back in 2015 -2019 they had a kid who collected on an outstanding couple of scholarships and did not have to go much out of pocket when combined with his merit scholarship from academics.

I probably will boch the story, but there was some scholarship set aside for athletes in his county to attend Wittenberg and since no one had claimed it in several years he literally hit the jackpot. So for him knowing the money that was on the line, yes, he made his commitment very clear to enable a greater chance of being awarded the scholarship money. I think Franklin schools are in the same county and may be the same offer available?

Just checked , Franklin is in Warren County and the athlete I'm referring to was/is from Butler county. The scholarship was considered an outside scholarship and monies were deposited in an endowment granted intended and available for a Butler county athlete who intended to pursue athletics at Wittenberg. Was the largest outside scholarship award I have heard of for a D3.

Just checked , Franklin is in Warren County and the athlete I'm referring to was/is from Butler county. The scholarship was considered an outside scholarship and monies were deposited in an endowment granted intended and available for a Butler county athlete who intended to pursue athletics at Wittenberg. Was the largest outside scholarship award I have heard of for a D3.
A Butler County organization has put together a scholarship program for a qualifying Butler County kid who wants to specifically go to Wittenberg? Interesting.
But this is outside the scope of my question. I suppose I could have been more specific and asked if it is necessary to announce a commitment to a D3 college athletic program when the D3 school is not permitted to offer Athletic scholarships per NCAA rules. I understand the academic offer, endowment funds and presidential accounts can be turned into financial packages but I was asking about athletic scholarships.

Of course you commit, they have coaches responsible for putting a team together?
Is it necessary for a preferred walk on to announce their commitment?
Is it necessary to announce any commitment for any sport whether it be D1, D2, NAIA, D3 ?
Is it necessary to post your offers to play sports in college?
Is it necessary to come on this site and ask if it is necessary?

A Butler County organization has put together a scholarship program for a qualifying Butler County kid who wants to specifically go to Wittenberg? Interesting.
But this is outside the scope of my question. I suppose I could have been more specific and asked if it is necessary to announce a commitment to a D3 college athletic program when the D3 school is not permitted to offer Athletic scholarships per NCAA rules. I understand the academic offer, endowment funds and presidential accounts can be turned into financial packages but I was asking about athletic scholarships.
Get your point, but short of committing, the athlete I'm mentioning would not have recieved his scholarship. I have no idea how many D3 athletic scholarships there are outside of the schools control? But I bet the coach would like to know if he has landed certain athletes or if he needs to continue recruiting. D3 does not recruit to the same level as D1, D2 or NAIA but they do recruit to attempt to compete at top level. I like the commitment. Necessary to tell anyone other than family and future coach? Probably not.

Of course you commit, they have coaches responsible for putting a team together?
Is it necessary for a preferred walk on to announce their commitment?
Is it necessary to announce any commitment for any sport whether it be D1, D2, NAIA, D3 ?
Is it necessary to post your offers to play sports in college?
Is it necessary to come on this site and ask if it is necessary?
Necessary, maybe not but it has always been the practice of D1 athletes who receive an athletic scholarship offer to shut down the recruiting process.
A D1 preferred walk on may have other offers so the announcement can shut down recruiting
Any athlete getting recruited D1, D2 or NAIA can have multiple athletic scholarship offers and it shuts down recruiting.
No it is not.
It is necessary if you want your question answered.

Get your point, but short of committing, the athlete I'm mentioning would not have recieved his scholarship. I have no idea how many D3 athletic scholarships there are outside of the schools control? But I bet the coach would like to know if he has landed certain athletes or if he needs to continue recruiting. D3 does not recruit to the same level as D1, D2 or NAIA but they do recruit to attempt to compete at top level. I like the commitment. Necessary to tell anyone other than family and future coach? Probably not.
Committed is probably the correct wording. When I think of a college athlete committing to playing sports in college, I connect it to accepting an offer of a scholarship and that is my mistake. There is a difference between announcing that you are committing to play and accepting a scholarship offer. It was an honest question and one that has been answered. Thanks.

Never legally committed to a D3 school, you can choose Wittenberg today and go to Capital in June. Although this does not happen much at all in D3.

Are we really going to argue semantics on this? The young man very likely received financial incentives common to d3 schools and they can differ greatly in their scope and amount. So, he considered his options and chose to sign on to the program Call it whatever the hell you want, but this is a very good young man, with very nice basketball skills headed to an excellent institution to continue his education and play basketball. Semantics be damned. Just congratulate the him on the opportunity and his selection. Geez.
Congratulations, young man. I hope it will be a great choice for your life moving forward and best of luck to you. I have enjoyed watching you play and will continue to do so.

Some of you should be ashamed of your self. So called grown men wanting to call out a high school kid for getting an opportunity to play at the next level. Whatever you want to call accepting an offer to play this kid is still playing. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Are we really going to argue semantics on this? The young man very likely received financial incentives common to d3 schools and they can differ greatly in their scope and amount. So, he considered his options and chose to sign on to the program Call it whatever the hell you want, but this is a very good young man, with very nice basketball skills headed to an excellent institution to continue his education and play basketball. Semantics be damned. Just congratulate the him on the opportunity and his selection. Geez.
Congratulations, young man. I hope it will be a great choice for your life moving forward and best of luck to you. I have enjoyed watching you play and will continue to do so.
Well Said!!

Let the kid have his moment. Why should anyone care if he says he is committing. He worked hard to have that opportunity. It takes a lot of work to have an opportunity to play at the college level and yes that includes D3. Congrats and good luck at Wittenberg.

I had an honest question and in NO way did it insult any kid. D3 basketball is very good and the kids that play are too, but my question was in line with committing = accepting a scholarship. My son was a D3 athlete, going to one of the most successful football programs and I never saw the need to announce a commitment because he was not offered an "athletic scholarship". I never said it did not take talent.

I had an honest question and in NO way did it insult any kid. D3 basketball is very good and the kids that play are too, but my question was in line with committing = accepting a scholarship. My son was a D3 athlete, going to one of the most successful football programs and I never saw the need to announce a commitment because he was not offered an "athletic scholarship". I never said it did not take talent.
I would assume that your son "committed" to play at the football program you mentioned, at minimum to the coaches of the program and possibly to the coaches of any other program that was recruiting him at the time. Personally, I never really equated commitment to accepting a scholly. IMO, if you're being recruited by multiple schools, even if its DIII, you have to make some type of commitment to a program.

I would assume that your son "committed" to play at the football program you mentioned, at minimum to the coaches of the program and possibly to the coaches of any other program that was recruiting him at the time. Personally, I never really equated commitment to accepting a scholly. IMO, if you're being recruited by multiple schools, even if its DIII, you have to make some type of commitment to a program.

Yes, directly to the coaches of the program. There was not announcement on tv, paper or social media like the scholarship athletes have historically done.
As I said, when I see a publicly announced commitment, my first thought is a scholarship offer until I see the school.

Yes, directly to the coaches of the program. There was not announcement on tv, paper or social media like the scholarship athletes have historically done.
As I said, when I see a publicly announced commitment, my first thought is a scholarship offer until I see the school.
This is a different era of kids. They post everything on social media. Sign of the times. Nothing wrong with putting your commitment out there for others to see. Can we leave this kid alone for doing what all other kids are doing Im sure he would appreciate that. It's not like he committed to the chess or debate team at Wittenberg. He is simply doing what all kids this era are doing in the facebook, instagram, twitter world. Let's end the thread on a positive note. Congrats Noah and good luck at Witt hopefully you get this much press when you commit to your job after college.

This is a different era of kids. They post everything on social media. Sign of the times. Nothing wrong with putting your commitment out there for others to see. Can we leave this kid alone for doing what all other kids are doing Im sure he would appreciate that. It's not like he committed to the chess or debate team at Wittenberg. He is simply doing what all kids this era are doing in the facebook, instagram, twitter world. Let's end the thread on a positive note. Congrats Noah and good luck at Witt hopefully you get this much press when you commit to your job after college.
Without a doubt, and it is a different era of parents. My question was not kid specific, so I directed nothing at anyone. It was a basic question about a practice that I didn't understand the reasoning. I recently saw a post from a kid on twitter sating he committed to run cross country at a college and he was not a top seven runner on his own high school team. But yet he is committing to a college. That post and this one sporked my question. Congrats to all, but I was curious and asked.

Without a doubt, and it is a different era of parents. My question was not kid specific, so I directed nothing at anyone. It was a basic question about a practice that I didn't understand the reasoning. I recently saw a post from a kid on twitter sating he committed to run cross country at a college and he was not a top seven runner on his own high school team. But yet he is committing to a college. That post and this one sporked my question. Congrats to all, but I was curious and asked.
Just a sign of the times. I get both sides. If your kid committed to a D3 football team he put in just as much work as the D1, he just wasn't quite big enough maybe. Again only a small percentage of kids go on to play any college sport and it's a big accomplishment. I have a kid play D3 football and he didn't even do a signing and I have a daughter who played D1 and did a reveal signing on national signing day. I also have another daughter going on to play D3 and it's up to her. I will support her and be a proud dad at her signing if she elects to do it. It's a big accomplishment and worth recognizing for the amount of time and hours they have put in to get a chance to play at the college level.

Just a sign of the times. I get both sides. If your kid committed to a D3 football team he put in just as much work as the D1, he just wasn't quite big enough maybe. Again only a small percentage of kids go on to play any college sport and it's a big accomplishment. I have a kid play D3 football and he didn't even do a signing and I have a daughter who played D1 and did a reveal signing on national signing day. I also have another daughter going on to play D3 and it's up to her. I will support her and be a proud dad at her signing if she elects to do it. It's a big accomplishment and worth recognizing for the amount of time and hours they have put in to get a chance to play at the college level.
Definitely a sign of the times is that everyone feels they need recognition.

NAIA schools absolutely give athletic scholarships. Not all of them have the same resources and give the same amount.. At the D3 level you cannot give "performance" grant in aid $$$ but they do put together "packages" for student athletes in the for of athletic/endowments/work study/ etc

Read the previous post, NAIA's does not give scholarships.
NAIA gives scholarships. NCAA DIII does not. My daughter plays NAIA softball and she has a pretty substantial athletic scholarship. If DI is not in the cards, NAIA is probably the next best option from a financial aspect.

NAIA schools absolutely give athletic scholarships. Not all of them have the same resources and give the same amount.. At the D3 level you cannot give "performance" grant in aid $$$ but they do put together "packages" for student athletes in the for of athletic/endowments/work study/ etc
NAIA schools do not give athletic scholarship funding allow me to clarify.