No High School Football 2020

I watched a movie last night "contagion" 2011" really good actors. The movie foreshadowed everything we are currently going through. Highly recommend it, for anyone wanting to know what's going on today. Dr. Fauci talked about it in a briefing a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the footnote it is just based on the same week in years 2017-2019.

Either way, I think that is good news. We are actually BEHIND expectations or previous years' averages for deaths. COVID doesn't seem to be incrementally increasing our deaths.
A more current copy of this chart is here. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

Those numbers are consistently changing. The footnotes say it takes more than 8 weeks for all the death notifications to be reflected.

Yes. I saw that too. It will be interesting to see how this continues but at this point COVID isn't putting us over what was expected or historical averages without COVID.
?????? For weeks 4/4 and 4/11 the numbers are 115% and 119% of past years. And those numbers will only go up over time.

Take a look at those same numbers in a month. I think it wll be very interesting.

I agree people are losing their minds. We probably disagree on who are losing their minds though.

No we agree, but many people don't realize the people who are "losing their minds" are paid to cover their es and don't want to lose their very high level jobs.

Look at it this way, this Fall, how are schools going to implement testing for sports? Have coaches or trainers do it? Do you know how bad of a position it would put those people in and how many lawsuits could be put forth, how much money that could cost a school district to play sports? All it takes is one, that's the problem.

Imagine a coach screwing up a test they would give? The school would be in over it's head in trouble. Trainers? Not enough time. Third party? Where's the money.

Too much on the line, people aren't thinking about the money to do this.

Most of the responses here seem to be reflections of adults naturally, but what people aren’t seeing is where the “children” fall in all this. How do you send kindergarten through 12th grade children back to busing, cafeteria, normal classrooms and send them back to their parents, siblings and grandparents without germs going totally rampant and a Hugh spike in infection. It’s a shame that kids will lose there football seasons but in reality High School football is just an extracurricular activity like speech and tennis, not that big of an accomplishment in the scheme of someone’s life. The 2020 Olympics are canceled. Now that is a big deal in that messes with peoples livelihoods, not just the 30 parents in the stands at a high school game. Some Olympic boxers for example will lose potentially millions of future earnings because of this. Those fighters are one in a billion compared to hs football players who just about any able bodied person can play. So this needs to be put into perspective.

Look at it this way, this Fall, how are schools going to implement testing for sports?
The same way they implement testing for school. Except that it will be easier because it is a much smaller number of people involved.

Last edited:
Most of the responses here seem to be reflections of adults naturally, but what people aren’t seeing is where the “children” fall in all this. How do you send kindergarten through 12th grade children back to busing, cafeteria, normal classrooms and send them back to their parents, siblings and grandparents without germs going totally rampant and a Hugh spike in infection. It’s a shame that kids will lose there football seasons but in reality High School football is just an extracurricular activity like speech and tennis, not that big of an accomplishment in the scheme of someone’s life. The 2020 Olympics are canceled. Now that is a big deal in that messes with peoples livelihoods, not just the 30 parents in the stands at a high school game. Some Olympic boxers for example will lose potentially millions of future earnings because of this. Those fighters are one in a billion compared to hs football players who just about any able bodied person can play. So this needs to be put into perspective.
The boxers can turn pro now and chase their millions if they think they are that good. Problem solved. Of all the side effects of postponing the Olympics, boxers losing out on money chances is the one you want to highlight?

Kids are largely unaffected by the virus. But they will be affected by the inadequate distance learning they are receiving. They are also going to be affected by mom and dad losing their jobs. Potentially their houses. That's the perspective you should be worried about.

We need to protect those most vulnerable but the rest of us need to get back to life.

No we agree, but many people don't realize the people who are "losing their minds" are paid to cover their es and don't want to lose their very high level jobs.

Look at it this way, this Fall, how are schools going to implement testing for sports? Have coaches or trainers do it? Do you know how bad of a position it would put those people in and how many lawsuits could be put forth, how much money that could cost a school district to play sports? All it takes is one, that's the problem.

Imagine a coach screwing up a test they would give? The school would be in over it's head in trouble. Trainers? Not enough time. Third party? Where's the money.

Too much on the line, people aren't thinking about the money to do this.

If the kids are not back and playing sports at school this fall the highlighted above will have WAY, WAY more to do with than health risk to kids. Now some that have to be around them who's health is questionable due to their own life choices or unlucky genes might be the ones to be careful and know the risks.

Are you the guy in those commercials?

What are you thinking as of today?
I'm in a good mood, so I'll take the bait and get others fired up. No fall sports. Stay at home. Not enough testing. Re-opening states will cause spiking and set us back. Go Michigan! God is good!

I'm in a good mood, so I'll take the bait and get others fired up. No fall sports. Stay at home. Not enough testing. Re-opening states will cause spiking and set us back. Go Michigan! God is good!
All the time! Damn you. ?. I’m still up in the air.

Does anybody think there will actually be H.S. football in Ohio this fall?
If you do your only fooling yourself.

Next week, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools for the remainder of the school year. No spring musicals, no prom and no graduation.
OHSAA will follow by cancelling all spring sports.
Late May, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools over summer break, announcing that schools may reopen sometime time in late August.
Schools will be reopened with the restriction of no extracurricular activities..
Early August, OHSAA cancels all fall sports.
Early October, Gov. DeWine announces that all school activities may resume November 1st.

No sarcasm here. This is what we are going to face over the next 6-8 months.

This was my original thread starter from late March. Almost spot on.
But
it was never about the virus,
it was never about wearing a mask,
It was never about riots
it was never about BLM.
It was and is only about one thing:
A power grab. Who will control the White House after the November election. All the rest is smoke and mirrors.

But
it was never about the virus,
it was never about wearing a mask,
It was never about riots
it was never about BLM.
It was and is only about one thing:
A power grab. Who will control the White House after the November election. all the rest is smoke and mirrors.

Get a grip

It was a good prediction you had about DeWine closing schools for the year and no spring sports. I personally thought they would happen in some capacity, but many, many people were predicting the same as you. It's not like your Nostradamus here.

You are wrong predicting that "schools will be reopened with the restriction of no extracurricular activities". A lot of schools are not reopening or are doing partial in school/at home.

It's not early August yet, but all signs point to OHSAA going forward with non-contact sports. Football is probably up in the air, but they at least want to try to make it happen. You're likely wrong at least partially here.

Definitely not early October yet, but this prediction is basically wrong in that he hasn't even himself closed school activities. He's leaving up to the superintendents who are getting advice from their local health boards.