NHSCA this weekend !!

GrizzlyDad

What Ohio guys are attending and have a strong shot at placing high or winning? This was always one of my favorite events to attend with my kids.

Went through the list very quickly, here are the names who jumped out at me:

Fresh; Shawger, Aquila, Gorski (Eds back up)
Soph: Krysty
JR: Contos, R. Kennedy, Huhn, Sanderfer, Brock (Sand & Brock both at 145) Goldberg, L. Murphy, L. Johnson, McPherson, Stuerenberg
SR: Sears, Spotts

Good luck to all wrestlers representing Ohio

Went through the list very quickly, here are the names who jumped out at me:

Fresh; Shawger, Aquila, Gorski (Eds back up)
Soph: Krysty
JR: Contos, R. Kennedy, Huhn, Sanderfer, Brock (Sand & Brock both at 145) Goldberg, L. Murphy, L. Johnson, McPherson, Stuerenberg
SR: Sears, Spotts

Good luck to all wrestlers representing Ohio
Could you please post OHSAA HS div, what school, did they place and what place at the state tournament, rankings borofan and dubstat (Ohio and national rankings as well) and your projections for this tournament?

NHSCA is using the "old" weights

Per the seeds from MatScouts
SR 120: Logan Dean (Bethel-Tate) 10th
SR 152: Tristin Greene (Keystone) 6th

JR 113: Neal Krysty (Bishop Watterson) 9th ... Goodin from Edmond North (OK) is the one name in the weight most would be familiar with
JR 126: Phoenix Contos (Toledo Waite) 3rd, Tate Hisey (St. Mary's Memorial) 10th ... Colin Martin (VA) and Uhorchuck (TN) are national names people could be familiar with
JR 132: Aiden King (Bishop Hartley) 3rd ... I'm not familiar with the kids seeded above King, another out-of-state kid of note is McArthur from Buford (GA) who is seeded 5th; his school was at GMVWA, I forget if he competed, or if he was injured
JR 138: Holden Huhn (LaSalle) 6th .... one of Vega or Paridon are winning that weight, those are clear national kids with major event production
JR 145: Joseph Sanderfer (was at DeSales first part of the season) 4th ... Paradice, Van Hoven, and Olivarez are seeded above him, and with good reason. Olivarez was just OW at folkstyle nationals, while Paradice and Van Hoven are national level productive
JR 152: Londen Muprhy (Moeller) 2nd ... P.J. Duke is the one seed, and if you don't know who he is, I can't help you ... Coltyn Reedy (Sheridan) 5th seed ... Leach (TN) is the 9 and was runner-up at Brecksville in the 150 class with wins over Aquila and Stewart (DCC MI)
JR 170: Andrew Barford (Col. DeSales) 4th
JR 182: Owen Pummel (Indian Lake) 5th ... top two seeds are Ironman placers in Kucharzk and Jobber-Spence, kids that JR Miller beat and Kowalski lost to in that tournament ... Aden Strahler (Vincent Warren) is 7th seed
JR 195: Riley McPherson (Brecksville) 7th ... Szymborski the 6th seed was at Cleveland TN the last couple years and moved back to Crown Point after the season ended, Alex Smith the 2nd seed is a LHP kid
JR 285: Lucas Stuerenberg (Moeller) 6th ... Kehler the 2nd seed is a WV kid that should be familiar to some Ohio types

Goldberg is not seeded at 160, which is the weight I guess he's going ... that weight is anchored by Torres and Contino, nationally ranked kids from LHP (FL) and Buchanan (CA) respectively. I feel confident one of those two will win if they don't scratch

SO 106: Braedyn Tammerine (Liberty Center) 8th ... top seed is Davidheiser from FCA, was 113 in December but missed back part of season due to injury (Bachmann pushed him to 113 in-season)
SO 120: Tyler Barnes (Delta) 16th ... among the top seeds, I've seen Mills ranked at some points, Jakob placed at Beast as a freshman, and Bautista was a SP for SJR in NJ
SO 285: James Bechter 2nd ... he was at Dayton Carroll previously, and moved to a boarding school (NMH NH) where he re-classed

FR 106: Mason Bauer (Ashland) 4th, Derion Williams (Trinity) 12th ... in terms of Bauer, given what he did in terms of wins & competitive losses, he should be in the hunt to win - unless there's someone truly national in the field
FR 132: Kane Shawger (St. Xavier) 3rd, Owen Dennis (Harrison) 9th
FR 138: Tyson Spicer (New Lexington) 3rd ... the top seed is Evan Stanley from IN, he goes to Mt. Carmel (IL) and was a state placer in 3A, so he's the clear favorite
FR 152: Zack Aquila (Brecksville) 2nd ... the top seed is Amato, who won a NJ state title as a freshman at 144 for Rumsford-Fair Haven H.S.
FR 170: Caige Horak (Mass. Perry) 4th ... I think Singer is a FCA kid, the 5th seed is Rojas (Brownsburg youth kid, but was a backup at Wyoming Seminary this year)
FR 285: Chandler Moore 5th

I'd have to look at registration for Gorski's weight. IF you look at 113, Karovski and Robinson were both Nat Prep placers at 106 (Greens Farm and LHP respectively) ... 3 seed at 126 is Fry, who was a backup for Wyoming Seminary (he beat either Rohr or McBurney in the dual if I'm not mistaken)

The following Ohio wrestlers are in the quarterfinals on Saturday (need one more win to place top eight) --

FROSH
106 - Bauer (Ashland) vs. Lemovitz RI
120 - Gorski (St. Edward) vs. Myers WV
132 - Shawger (St. Xavier) vs. Waite (Maysville)
138 - Hmel (St. Edward) vs. Baer NY
152 - Z. Aquila (Brecksville) vs. Smith NV
160 - Pfeiffer (St. Edward) vs. Harty NC
170 - C. Horak (M. Perry) vs. Oizerowitz NJ
285 - Ch. Moore (Dayton CJ) vs. Drake VA

SOPH
106 - Tammerine (Liberty Center) vs. Swann GA
170 - Wooldridge (LaSalle) vs. Scott PA
285 - Bechter (Northfield Mt. Hermon MA) vs. Smith PA

JUNIOR
113 - Krysty (Bishop Watterson) vs. Gursay NY
126 - Tate Hisey (St. Mary's Memorial) vs. Aron TX
132 - Aiden King (Bishop Hartley) vs. Hickey NC
132 - Contos (Toledo Waite) vs. Ryan Kennedy (SPIRE)
138 - Huhn (LaSalle) vs. Matthews CO
152 - Reedy (Sheridan) vs. Ashley VA
160 - L. Johnson (M. Perry) vs. Torres FL <Lake Highland Prep>
170 - Barford (Col. DeSales) vs. Fowler TN

SENIOR
120 - Dean (Bethel-Tate) vs. Roach CA
138 - Fielding (SPIRE) vs. Torres AZ
152 - Greene (Keystone) vs. Kuhns PA
195 - Richardson (Evergreen) vs. Mauck

The following Ohio wrestlers are three wins from a top eight place finish, which means that they lost in the round of 16. Other wrestlers lost earlier in the tournament, and no one was eliminated on Friday as the NHSCA wants people's dollars on Saturday ... while it's more the VA Beach CVB that does, but that's a different story ...

FROSH
106 - D. Williams (Trinity)
132 - G. Miller (Ashland), O. Dennis 9Herrison)
138 - Tetreault (Garaway)
152 - Domer (Garaway)
170 - M. Frey (Garaway)
195 - Jirousek (Keystone)

SOPH
132 - Kiehl (St. Edward)
152 - Greenwood (Beachwood)
195 - Kinney (Philo)
220 - D. Martin (Ashland)

JUNIOR
138 - Brock (Harrison)
145 - Sanderfer (Col. DeSales), Hertenstein (St. Mary's Memorial)
152 - Goldberg (St. Edward), Murphy (Moeller)
170 - Clear (Malvern)
195 - Pummel (Indian Lake)
220 - Gaylor (Olentangy Orange)
285 - Stuerenberg (Moeller)

SENIOR
113 - Mitchell (SPIRE)
152 - England (Mohawk)
182 - Heath (St. John School)
220 - Malone (Bedford)

Last edited:
9 freshmen will place
FINALISTS: Bauer (Ashland) 106, Shawger (St. Xavier) 132, Z. Aquila (Brecksville) 152, and Moore (Dayton CJ) 285
3RD/4TH: Neal (Allen East) 145
3RD-6TH: C. Horak (M. Perry) 170
5TH/6TH: Gorski (St. Edward) 120, Hmel (St. Edward) 138
7TH/8TH: Pieffer (St. Edward) 160

Two sophs will place:
SEMIFINALIST: Bechter (Northfield Mt. Hermon MA) 285
3RD-6TH: Wooldridge (LaSalle) 170

9 juniors will place
FINALIST: Aiden King (Bishop Hartley) 132
3RD-6TH: Contos (Toledo Waite) 132, Huhn (LaSalle) 138, Reedy (Sheridan) 152, L. Johnson (M. Perry)
7TH/8TH: Krysty (Bishop Watterson) 113, Tate Hisey (St. Mary's Memorial) 126, R. Kennedy (SPIRE) 138, Murphy (Moeller) 152

3 seniors will place
3RD-6TH: Fielding (SPIRE) 138, Greene (Keystone) 152
7TH/8TH: Dean (Bethel-Tate) 120

Freshmen: 9 placers

Kane Shawger - CHAMPION
Chandler Horak - CHAMPION
Mason Bauer - 2nd
Zack Aquila - 2nd
Caige Horak - 3rd
Jordan Neal - 3rd
Kolten Hmel - 6th
Luke Gorski - 6th