NFL News

There is a gigantic Free Agent pool of quarterbacks for this coming season. I honestly do not see Phillip Rivers signing with another team. Good career, possibly hall of famer, but I think he's done.
Probably true. He has like 9 or 10 kids and showed tremendous commitment to his family by commuting back and forth from San Diego to LA after the team moved north. Unless he can sign with whichever team in Florida is nearest to where he and his family have moved, I'd say he's done. However, if he has already decided to quit playing, I'd have thought the Chargers would give him a chance to announce his retirement before they came out and announced that they wouldn't be bringing him back.

Probably true. He has like 9 or 10 kids and showed tremendous commitment to his family by commuting back and forth from San Diego to LA after the team moved north. Unless he can sign with whichever team in Florida is nearest to where he and his family have moved, I'd say he's done. However, if he has already decided to quit playing, I'd have thought the Chargers would give him a chance to announce his retirement before they came out and announced that they wouldn't be bringing him back.
Unfortunately one thing about the NFL and the way the salary cap is, teams have a difficult time keeping guys who are old and expensive, so many times guys don't finish careers where they started. I wish there was some way to change this. Also many guys don't know when to say when. Two guys from my team, the Titans, McNair and Eddie George, got cups of coffee with other teams before hanging it up.

Free agent QB's... Rivers, Winston, Prescott, Brady, Mariota, Tannehill, Brees… add to that the 4-5 QB's that could be drafted and the spots for starters are limited.

Free agent QB's... Rivers, Winston, Prescott, Brady, Mariota, Tannehill, Brees… add to that the 4-5 QB's that could be drafted and the spots for starters are limited.

I think Prescott, Brady and Brees stay put. Mariotta or Bridgewater land in Chicago. Tannehill stays put unless they can swing Brady or Rivers. I could see Rivers assessing the market then retiring. Winston for some reason feels right in Las Vegas as Gruden would love the big arm and would think he could fix him. That would put Carr on the market who's serviceable.

Burrow steps in right away. Tua sits and rehabs. Herbert probably watches for a little while before starting. Eason gets drafted as a backup intially for an established starter.

Lots of movement.

I think Prescott, Brady and Brees stay put. Mariotta or Bridgewater land in Chicago. Tannehill stays put unless they can swing Brady or Rivers. I could see Rivers assessing the market then retiring. Winston for some reason feels right in Las Vegas as Gruden would love the big arm and would think he could fix him. That would put Carr on the market who's serviceable.

Burrow steps in right away. Tua sits and rehabs. Herbert probably watches for a little while before starting. Eason gets drafted as a backup intially for an established starter.

Lots of movement.
Good assessment, and likely true. Image though, if Brady moves it's like a big domino effect. I don't know if the Bengals would do it, but I'd consider sitting Burrow, for at least a half season, letting Daulton start. I know people hate that but I just don't see Burrow just taking the reins and running. There is so much of a difference between the NFL and college. He's going from a transcendent college football team to a team with a lot of holes. I believe Daulton has a year left on his contract.
I'm not sure any of the rooks are long term solutions other than Burrow. Herbert has a big arm, but I was less than impressed with him this season. I could see Mariota in San Diego.

Good assessment, and likely true. Image though, if Brady moves it's like a big domino effect. I don't know if the Bengals would do it, but I'd consider sitting Burrow, for at least a half season, letting Daulton start. I know people hate that but I just don't see Burrow just taking the reins and running. There is so much of a difference between the NFL and college. He's going from a transcendent college football team to a team with a lot of holes. I believe Daulton has a year left on his contract.
I'm not sure any of the rooks are long term solutions other than Burrow. Herbert has a big arm, but I was less than impressed with him this season. I could see Mariota in San Diego.

If the Bengals decide to do that Dalton is a perfect bridge QB, but I don't think they'll be that patient. Also, I think Burrow's as ready as any rookie to step in quickly. I'd also be a little worried the Bengals o-line could get him killed. I think the best case scenario for the Bengals in that a contender has its QB go down in the preseason and makes a decent offer for Dalton.

Lots of movement.
What about the red rifle?

Unfortunately one thing about the NFL and the way the salary cap is, teams have a difficult time keeping guys who are old and expensive, so many times guys don't finish careers where they started. I wish there was some way to change this. Also many guys don't know when to say when. Two guys from my team, the Titans, McNair and Eddie George, got cups of coffee with other teams before hanging it up.
Guys don't last that long in that league without being ultra-competitive. Most will always want to prove to themselves that they can still play. It's hard to go from being one of the best players in the sport to having someone else tell you that you're not good enough anymore.

There's also a segment of those who don't know when to quit that either mismanage their finances or are taken advantage of by those who claimed to be helping them do so, so they keep playing because they need the money.

So what would you propose: every team has one place available for an uncapped salary slot for a player who has over X number of years of service with the team (8 years, 10 years, etc.)? You could also stipulate that the player had to make his NFL regular season debut with the team (that would cover players like Eli who was not drafted by the team he spent his entire career with). Call it the "Veteran Tag" or something.

I'm sure there's some reason that it wouldn't work, such as owners not wanting to fork over big money to over-the-hill players who are not likely to contribute even if it might be a good PR investment to keep a "lifer" or longtime fan favorite in the team's market. Instead, the owners might at best give these guys cushy front office jobs at much lower salaries.

Last edited:
If the Bengals decide to do that Dalton is a perfect bridge QB, but I don't think they'll be that patient. Also, I think Burrow's as ready as any rookie to step in quickly. I'd also be a little worried the Bengals o-line could get him killed. I think the best case scenario for the Bengals in that a contender has its QB go down in the preseason and makes a decent offer for Dalton.
I'd keep Dalton just to be the crash test dummy. If the O-Line play is improved, then maybe they can throw Burrow out there a few weeks into the season. If not, let Dalton take as many hits as he can behind a bad O-Line until they have to do something else. Guys like you and I know there's no sense in getting your shiny new franchise QB killed early in his career, a la Tim Couch and David Carr.

Is it the Bengals that are not patient, or will the fan base make it too difficult. I think these days, teams are way too impatient with young QB's. Unless Zack Taylor fears for his job, he needs to bring Burrow along really slow. This could work out great for the Bengals, or it could be the classic case where you take a great prospect and throw him to the wolves and he's crushed in 3-4 years. Teams overvalue young quarterbacks every year.

Guys don't last that long in that league without being ultra-competitive. Most will always want to prove to themselves that they can still play. It's hard to go from being one of the best players in the sport to having someone else tell you that you're not good enough anymore.

There's also a segment of those who don't know when to quit that either mismanage their finances or are taken advantage of by those who claimed to be helping them do so, so they keep playing because they need the money.

So what would you propose: every team has one place available for an uncapped salary slot for a player who has over X number of years of service with the team (8 years, 10 years, etc.)? You could also stipulate that the player had to make his NFL regular season debut with the team (that would cover players like Eli who was not drafted by the team he spent his entire career with). Call it the "Veteran Tag" or something.

I'm sure there's some reason that it wouldn't work, such as owners not wanting to fork over big money to over-the-hill players who are not likely to contribute even if it might be a good PR investment to keep a "lifer" or longtime fan favorite in the team's market. Instead, the owners might at best give these guys cushy front office jobs at much lower salaries.
The "cycle" of winning in the NFL is so short, many of these guys want to leave to "chase a ring". McNair had some success in Baltimore, but Eddie was a disaster in Dallas, he should had retired a Titan.

Saw a stat since the SB taht in the last decade plus there has been only one year that a team who had a player in the top ten in cap hit salary and won the SB (Manning at Denver)

Will Bradyc ommand top ten? Mahomes? Dak?

Players need to weigh breaking the bank vs winning it seeems....