Next season RPI

shoprat2

Now that it looks like we will have more divisions will soccer follow American football and basketball with a computer rating system for tournament seeding ?

The number of divisions and use of RPI for seeding are separate decisions, and do not go hand-in-hand, even though both may happen in the same year.

There are some flaws with using RPI for seeding, but there are also flaws with the present system. With many areas of the state going to super-districts, pods, or whatever you want to call it -- there are more teams that coaches have to track during the season for purposes of seeding. In the current model, say you're a Columbus D1 coach, you have to track like 45 or 50 teams for purposes of voting ... that certainly isn't easy for a coach to do. So instead of having the 50 coaches rate the teams, there's going to be a computer mechanism do it, and the you'll have the same bracket selection process behind it (and Columbus D1 is one of the simpler big-bracket climates out there in terms of the teams having relative connectivity to one another).

Even this past year, with the MaxPreps data being more accurate (since there is basically mandatory score reporting), I think you saw some coaches kind of look at the MaxPreps ratings (not the RPI though) as kind of a guide for voting within their pod/super-district. The MaxPreps rating uses margin of victory, which RPI does not.

Thanks. Don’t like margin of victory. That can lead down a path that we already have problems solving.
Margin of Victory does not play into the rankings.

Here is the issue with the current model...

Lets take a look at basketball, Elder. They were ranked #1 in the RPI for their district last week. They were like 10-0 with wins over quite a few D2 and D3 teams and not many good D1 teams. But the system saw a team like Mariemont with lots of wins, as a good win for Elder, even though its D1 v D3. The current system doesnt take Strength of Schedule into affect.

The issue for some good teams is going to be, their strength of schedule, might ultimately hurt them in the RPI's. If you are a D1 team, you are better off playing good D2, D3, D4, D5 teams, who you should beat, even though those D2-D5 teams have great records. The system is flawed, and needs some re-calculating. If you beat a 11-0 D5 team as a D1 team, you are going to get way more points off that win vs beating a 7-3 solid D1 team. Unfortunately.....

Blame OHSAA and Max Preps for this... OHSAA got paid.......

Yes I’ve seen this mentioned on both fb and bball boards. It works the other way also, if I’m a good D4 and I schedule up and beat a decent D1 that is 5-5 I should get more for that game than beating a D4 that is 10-0 but has played only D4 sub .500 teams. So hopefully Ohsaa will listen and make this adjustment to the formula.

Yes I’ve seen this mentioned on both fb and bball boards. It works the other way also, if I’m a good D4 and I schedule up and beat a decent D1 that is 5-5 I should get more for that game than beating a D4 that is 10-0 but has played only D4 sub .500 teams. So hopefully Ohsaa will listen and make this adjustment to the formula.
Im not sure MAX Preps knows how to fix this. It is not a OHSAA thing, it is a Max Preps thing, and just do not think they know how to calculate that.