New Numbers in 2024-2025

The fact is if it’s getting voted on, it’s going to pass. Schools at the bottom of their division enrollment wise will see it as an opportunity to move down and avoid seeing the hammers. Not to mention the OHSAA is a business… adding another division brings in more money.

The fact is if it’s getting voted on, it’s going to pass.
Quit making statements that have no verification. #1 What confirmation have you received that there's a possibility that it could even get voted on in the near future, much less pass? #2 I have received confirmation that there it is not even under consideration for the near future #3 Unfortunately, there is no guarantee what the next 3-4 years might bring #4 On the other hand girls wrestling is really taking off and I'm hearing expansion is definitely being discussed.

Quit making statements that have no verification. #1 What confirmation have you received that there's a possibility that it could even get voted on in the near future, much less pass? #2 I have received confirmation that there it is not even under consideration for the near future #3 Unfortunately, there is no guarantee what the next 3-4 years might bring #4 On the other hand girls wrestling is really taking off and I'm hearing expansion is definitely being discussed.
What do you mean by girls expanding?
These numbers don’t agree with an expansion anytime soon.
F8FF7E00-C7A6-4B97-B5B5-3045AD796B8B.jpeg

Why are you so offended that there’s going to be 4 divisions?

Why are you so offended that there’s going to be 4 divisions?
LOL!! There is no issue of being offended, at least for me. But I have to admit that your insistence that this is a done deal and that it's about to be implemented by Columbus is annoying. Especially when I inquire what sources have verified/confirmed this expansion and I get nothing. You really are cocksure aren't you?

I have no knowledge of any definitive plans for expanding divisions yet.
This is what I do know…
Those numbers above are accurate.
Div III - 1,977 boys wrestled in a sectional tournament.
Divide that by 14 weight classes and that is an average of 141 boys per weight in DIII.
Div II - 1,880 = 134 per weight.
Div I - 1,908 = 136 per weight.
Girls - 1,232 = 88 per weight.

Now, football has 7 divisions;
current breakdown as follows :
D I - 71 schools
D II thru D VII - about 106 schools each.
This is staying the same.

Boys soccer is going to 5 div’s;
567 schools have boys soccer.
Divided by 5 div’s = 113 schools per div.

Girls soccer also going to 5;
520 schools divided by 5 = 104.

Basketball, baseball, softball all going to 7.

Do they want more kids winning districts/regionals/state tournaments?

Is it the inequality of big, private, powerhouse schools having a monopoly on sports?

Or, do they see $$$$$ ?

Not sure if this will transfer to the individual tournaments.

I don’t believe it would mean more money for OHSAA if wrestling has 4 divisions (they don’t care about the duals… do they?)

I could be wrong.

Last edited:
LOL!! There is no issue of being offended, at least for me. But I have to admit that your insistence that this is a done deal and that it's about to be implemented by Columbus is annoying. Especially when I inquire what sources have verified/confirmed this expansion and I get nothing. You really are cocksure aren't you?
Who are your sources? Let me guess, your source wants to remain anonymous 😉

Adding a division means 16 more sectionals, 4 more districts, and 224 more wrestlers at the state tournament… with all session books at $75/ea I’d say it would bring in a little extra cash.
Really? LOL!! If that were the case the only fans at sectionals would be parents because there won't be a competition to enjoy. But maybe they could double the ticket prices. There you have it.

Really? LOL!! If that were the case the only fans at sectionals would be parents because there won't be a competition to enjoy. But maybe they could double the ticket prices. There you have it.
What sectionals do you go to that have fans other than family members? Or teammates that aren't wrestling? I've been coaching quite awhile and the sectional doesn't get casual fans watching. District, maybe? State, for sure.

What do you mean by girls expanding?
These numbers don’t agree with an expansion anytime soon.
Based on current numbers, correct, but based on the rate in which they are increasing, it needs to be discussed so OHSAA isn't playing catch-up. Plus, the sooner the girls split into 2 divisions the sooner they can leave the Schott, correct?
Girls wrestling is, at the earliest, 3 years away from splitting, 4 years is probably more realistic because I'm sure there will be some sort of leveling off with the numbers.

As for the other part of the discussion, do we really think OHSAA will expand boys wrestling into 4 divisions anytime soon? No. But, it's plausible that they will in the near future. What qualifies as near future? No idea? 2 years? 6 years? OHSAA has proven they don't always take coach opinion into consideration when expanding, look at the football playoffs for example. No one wanted the expanded field, yet here we are. The fact that they just expanded several divisions in a few team sports lends itself that individual sports will be discussed before long whether numbers truly support it or not. More butts in the seats at OHSAA events means more $$. Yes, it would be watered down, but like I pointed out, when has that mattered? Again, look at the football playoffs with 1-9 teams making it in. I could see division 4 moving to 12 weights while the others stay at 14, or heck, maybe it'll be so watered down that all the divisions go to 12 weights? I mean NFHS has 12, 13, and 14 weights as options for state governing bodies to choose from.

What sectionals do you go to that have fans other than family members? Or teammates that aren't wrestling? I've been coaching quite awhile and the sectional doesn't get casual fans watching. District, maybe? State, for sure.
My point is that when I left coaching and became an official sectionals were much different in that getting out was a chore. Up until about 2005 it wasn't a shock if returning state qualifiers didn't make it to districts. In this present age I've seen sectional champs that don't have a ghost of a chance to make it out of districts and just qualifying to a district isn't much of an accomplishment. If we would move to four divisions, how do you think that would work out with wanting to go watch a competitive sectional? This is just my opinion as a retired official.

My point is that when I left coaching and became an official sectionals were much different in that getting out was a chore. Up until about 2005 it wasn't a shock if returning state qualifiers didn't make it to districts. In this present age I've seen sectional champs that don't have a ghost of a chance to make it out of districts and just qualifying to a district isn't much of an accomplishment. If we would move to four divisions, how do you think that would work out with wanting to go watch a competitive sectional? This is just my opinion as a retired official.
I don't disagree with you here at all. I started coaching D3 in 2012, in 2015 I was absolutely floored when I saw a sectional had several brackets with 4 or less kids in them, and for a period that was quite normal.

I think we're all arguing the same point but going about it differently. I don't think anyone WANTS the expansion of 4 divisions, because a good amount of people on here have all pointed out how watered down that will make everything. I think the argument here is that people are looking at the landscape of OHSAA and how they continue to expand things that don't need to be expanded. No one wants it, but it's probably inevitable that it will happen and we're just trying to brace ourselves for this change. Like I said in my previous post, no one knows how soon this will happen (if it happens?), but I and many others won't be surprised if it does happen.

I like the idea of expanding but in a different way. How about only two divisions for both public private.

I have no knowledge of any definitive plans for expanding divisions yet.
This is what I do know…
Those numbers above are accurate.
Div III - 1,977 boys wrestled in a sectional tournament.
Divide that by 14 weight classes and that is an average of 141 boys per weight in DIII.
Div II - 1,880 = 134 per weight.
Div I - 1,908 = 136 per weight.
Girls - 1,232 = 88 per weight.

Now, football has 7 divisions;
current breakdown as follows :
D I - 71 schools
D II thru D VII - about 106 schools each.
This is staying the same.

Boys soccer is going to 5 div’s;
567 schools have boys soccer.
Divided by 5 div’s = 113 schools per div.

Girls soccer also going to 5;
520 schools divided by 5 = 104.

Basketball, baseball, softball all going to 7.

Do they want more kids winning districts/regionals/state tournaments?

Is it the inequality of big, private, powerhouse schools having a monopoly on sports?

Or, do they see $$$$$ ?

Not sure if this will transfer to the individual tournaments.

I don’t believe it would mean more money for OHSAA if wrestling has 4 divisions (they don’t care about the duals… do they?)

I could be wrong.
My understanding for soccer, baseball , softball, basketball they are going to have 5 divisions. D1 top 64 teams D2next 64 teams. D3-D5 will be broken up from there.

My understanding for soccer, baseball , softball, basketball they are going to have 5 divisions. D1 top 64 teams D2next 64 teams. D3-D5 will be broken up from there.
soccer will be five (currently three) - 64/64 then three equal behind that
baseball/softball and basketball will be seven (currently four) - 64/64 then five equal behind that

Adding a division means 16 more sectionals, 4 more districts, and 224 more wrestlers at the state tournament… with all session books at $75/ea I’d say it would bring in a little extra cash.
The reality of it is unless you are so sure OHSAA can find a place either for a 4 day tournament and room 4 10 mats finals, kicks the girls out of the Schott ( not happening) or finds a place big enough to hold 12 mats plus plenty of room on the floor for all the Tournament needs ( No place like that in Ohio) 4 Divisions in Wrestling isn't happening anytime soon. And theres really no need for it.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the D2/D3 split to drop below 189 given the numbers in D3 this year were stronger most teams most wrestlers. We will not know that split number until the summer but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Graham stay D2.

I did some crude analysis based on the enrollments from OHSAA and then dissecting entry grids and/or TrackWrestling for each sectional.

I counted 491 "teams" (i.e. 7+ at sectional). That would mean divisions are 163/164/164 for number of "teams".
353-up = DI (164)
193-352 = DII (163)
192-down = DIII (164)

Other items to note based on my modeling ...
**DI - Central = 4.09, Northeast (+East) = 6.14, Northwest = 1.46, Southwest = 4.29 ... that means district to state composition not likely to change (might have a second northwest sectional, or they might do the blended northeast/northwest sectional like they did the last couple years)
**DII - Northwest and Southwest are clearly at 3 sectionals each ... everything else is in flux of the exact team counts and exact cut lines (my model has Central = 1.87, East = 1.67, Southeast = 1.67, and Northeast = 4.51)
**DIII - the only thing I feel comfortable on is that the east will have two sectionals, everything else in my model is interesting in terms of the decimals (Central = 1.56, Northeast = 4.49, Northwest = 4.59, Southeast = 0.78, Southwest = 2.63)

The ratio is calculated by the following: number of "teams" in the district geography given the team counts and the cut-line divided by the number of total teams in the division multiplied by 16. That is how they come up with the sectionals per district in a given division each cycle.

Last edited:
Additional key items (THIS IS BASED ON MY MODELING):
D2 to D1 - Vandalia Butler, New Philadelphia, Louisville, Hamilton Twp, Bellbrook (close), Bedford (close), Harvey (close), Revere (close)
D1 to D2 - LaSalle (close), Maple Hts (close), Chardon (close-ish), Hamilton Ross
D3 to D2 - Kettering Alter, Bethel-Tate, Brookville, Perry (Lake County), Otsego (close)
D2 to D3 - Graham (close), Poland (close), Girard

Here are the schools between 180 and 200.

180 - Greenon
181 - River View, Beachwood, Girard, Keystone
182 - Waynesville, Millbury Lake, Mid Madison
183 - Clearview, Harrison Cent, Lakeview, Oak Harbor
184 - Day Northridge, Willard
185 - Madeira, Piketon, Buckeye Local
186 - Chagrin Falls
187 - Coshocton, Indian Lake
188 - Poland Sem, Portsmouth
189 - Graham, Meadowbrook, Meigs, Bid River Valley
191 - Port Clinton, Amanda Clearcrk
193 - Rich Edison
194 - Morgan
196 - Spring NW, Taft, Roger Bacon, Clev CC, Fostoria, Galion
197 - Otsego, Rossford, Heath
198 - Lima Bath
199 - Reading, Vermillion
200 - Claymont, Johnstown

This was quick, so some of these may not even have wrestling.

Others that I found that were Div III … now Div II???
201 - Perry
203 - Westfall
212 - Kett Alter

I did some crude analysis based on the enrollments from OHSAA and then dissecting entry grids and/or TrackWrestling for each sectional.

I counted 491 "teams" (i.e. 7+ at sectional). That would mean divisions are 163/164/164 for number of "teams".
353-up = DI (164)
193-352 = DII (163)
192-down = DIII (164)
If there are 491 teams and the breakdown for divisions in the regulations (General Sports, 17.1) states:

Divisions Determination—The number of divisions in OHSAA high school tournaments in a sport shall be determined by the number of school teams that participated in the tournaments the preceding year or years, depending upon the sport. The Board of Directors shall have the final authority in determining the number of Divisions per sport and may use the following table as a guideline

Participating in Tournaments Divisions
200 or less I
201-450 I, II
451-700 I, II, III
701 or more I, II, III, IV

Sports tournament changes relative to adding or discontinuing a division may be made only after the number of schools has been higher or lower for two successive years.

How could 4 divisions even be considered?

353-up = DI (164)
193-352 = DII (163)
192-down = DIII (164)

So the last time that you did this, you had 165, 165, and 166 for the number of teams by division breakdown and it ended up being 155 for all 3. Do you have an idea of what the difference may be attributed to? I know that you qualified it as "crude" but that is a difference of 31 "teams."

Is it likely just the difference of what you counted as a team from entry vs the numbers actually in the brackets?

Last edited:
So the last time that you did this, you had 165, 165, and 166 for the number of teams by division breakdown and it ended up being 155 for all 3. Do you have an idea of what the difference may be attributed to? I know that you qualified it as "crude" but that is a difference of 31 "teams."

Is it likely just the difference of what you counted as a team from entry vs the numbers actually in the brackets?
Not to answer for Bucksman, but answering for him, yes. I did the same thing yesterday pulling numbers from D3 sectionals. D3 alone had a lot of 7 and 8 man rosters entered on entry grids. You get a couple of scratches per sectional, especially from those borderline rosters, and now you have several non-teams. I've had this happen twice over my career, had one kid miss weight and another popped for skin, sent me from 7 to 6 both times.