New Athletic Director

I never questioned Sonny's qualifications. Sonny is a great person. My questioning is related to the responsibilities and activities of an AD. Just because Sonny filled the void doesn't make it right. "Accountability" is very important at the top of the athletic department.

You are absolutely right with that sentence. It's one of the Sonny's BEST qualities and it has noticeably trickled down to the rest of the department as well as all coaches.

Scheduling of contests for sports teams
Scheduling of the OHLSD facilities (sports & non-athletic activities)
Accepting/signing contracts with schools via myOHSAA website
Accepting/signing and then paying referee contracts via myOHSAA website
Collecting participation fees from every student-athlete at OHHS
Collecting ALL necessary paperwork from every student-athlete at OHHS
Confirming eligibility status for every student-athlete at OHHS
Confirming all necessary certifications are met for all coaches within OHLSD
Administering supplemental pay contracts for all coaches within OHLSD
Collect information from OHHS coaches to publicize (roster, schedule, ect.)
Attend meetings with OHLSD Board of Education (always in evening)
Attend meetings with Oak Hills Athletic Boosters (always in evening)
Attend meeting with the Greater Miami Conference (always in evening)
Attend meetings with Southwest District Athletic Board (always in evening)
Attend meetings with Ohio High School Athletic Association (weekend)

Everything above is what Sonny has been doing during the school year..... and yet, it still doesn't match (and will NEVER match) the one task that wasn't listed. The one task that not only swallows up more time than you could ever imagine, not only out-weighs any of those listed above combined, it's also the one task that will make think twice before any future decisions and think back on the decisions you made in the past. This specific task will wreck you if you are not prepared, experienced and ready. It will follow you throughout your tenure and in some cases will follow you even after you are gone. This task is one that simply unavoidable and can never be passed off to an assistant, other administrator or to a coach.

What is this task that will make you wrinkle like a raisin, age considerably, and provide more stress than you'd think was ever possible.......???

PARENTS!

Phone calls, emails, letters, scheduled meetings, unscheduled drop-in meetings, passing by in the hallway, parking lot, or event...... Parents want the AD to discuss anything & everything. Not all bad, but also not all good. They simply want the opportunity discuss various topics and/or issues with the AD of a school.

The time spent on this is quite simply, immeasurable.

To tie it all back in; you're correct in that accountability is the primary task that MUST be met with the highest position in the Athletic Department and I'm so happy to say that this is exactly what Sonny has done this year. More than ever!

It sounds like you're very close to Sonny. I'm glad Sonny is doing his job. "Parents" are important to any school and program. You mention the word "Parents" as if it's a bad thing.

It sounds like you're very close to Sonny. I'm glad Sonny is doing his job. "Parents" are important to any school and program. You mention the word "Parents" as if it's a bad thing.

Bad? No.

Time consuming? Absolutely.