Naval Facility Coming To Lorain?

Does not seem like the most efficient use of my tax dollars, but maybe it is. In either case, an obvious boon for Lorain and NE Ohio. Let's hope this happens.

side note 1. Anybody else remember the name Admiral King, or know who he was?

side note 2. I've read some letters exchanged by my grandfather and great-grandmother while he was with the AEF. In them she repeated rumors from Sandusky of a German U-boat on Lake Erie. Doesn't seem likely, unless pig boats could fly.

Last edited:
Does not seem like the most efficient use of my tax dollars, but maybe it is. In either case, an obvious boon for Lorain and NE Ohio. Let's hope this happens.

side note 1. Anybody else remember the name Admiral King, or know who he was?

side note 2. I've read some letters exchanged by my grandfather and great-grandmother while he was with the AEF. In them she repeated rumors from Sandusky of a German U-boat on Lake Erie. Doesn't seem likely, unless pig boats could fly.
Yeah he was a high school. ?

Can always count on you for interesting history. Obviously the native son who served in multiple wars and was fleet commander in WWII?

German U-boats on Lake Erie eh? They stopped at PIB and defected from what I was told.

Anybody else remember the name Admiral King, or know who he was?

Admiral Ernest King chief of naval operations during the Second World War.

It doesn’t look bright on the surface but it really is on a larger scale. It increases and diversifies our naval infrastructure. We are really lacking in capacity to meet our current and projected needs. The maintenance backlog we have is really a drag on the navy’s ability to perform. It also creates a new workforce trained to build and maintain our naval forces.

Did you know that we build frigates/landing craft in Wisconsin?

Admiral Ernest King chief of naval operations during the Second World War.

It doesn’t look bright on the surface but it really is on a larger scale. It increases and diversifies our naval infrastructure. We are really lacking in capacity to meet our current and projected needs. The maintenance backlog we have is really a drag on the navy’s ability to perform. It also creates a new workforce trained to build and maintain our naval forces.

Did you know that we build frigates/landing craft in Wisconsin?
I'm for almost anything that diversifies our government out of DC and northern Virginia. Spread the wealth, baby.

e.g., Trump moved the Bureau of Land Management to Colorado, closer to the land it manages and people it serves. Biden is moving it back to DC for the convenience of the bureaucrats.

Did not know about the frigates.

Yeah he was a high school. ?

Can always count on you for interesting history. Obviously the native son who served in multiple wars and was fleet commander in WWII?

German U-boats on Lake Erie eh? They stopped at PIB and defected from what I was told.
When I was yout' in Sandusky county, I was aware of the Ross-Sandusky rivalry in the old Buckeye Conference, but thought Lorain Admiral King Admirals sounded kind of weird. Much later in life I saw a painting of a guy with a fancy uniform name Admiral King. What? So I did some reading. Lots of people remember the names Patton, MacArthur, and maybe Nimitz, but there were non-battlefield commanders that were kind of a big deal.

This is going to be a deeply unpopular opinion on here, but...

I don't want it. There's enough militarism in American society, and Northeast Ohio has very few places where that might be spread by dint of those types of facilities. There's just not much military presence here. I'd like to keep it as it is. War's not fun, kids. Brandon will get your head blownup like a watermelon and eat pudding in front of the TV after he consoles your crying mother.

I don't want it. There's enough militarism in American society, and Northeast Ohio has very few places where that might be spread by dint of those types of facilities. There's just not much military presence here. I'd like to keep it as it is. War's not fun, kids. Brandon will get your head blownup like a watermelon and eat pudding in front of the TV after he consoles your crying mother.
War is hell but also necessary from time to time. Also you maintain peace through strength.

Military bases might be targets in the time of war but so are power plants and many manufacturing sites that in the time of war would be manufacturing war products look back at WWII and tell me what was being made in those automobile plants because it sure was not cars.

So that's a good thing, right?

But I get what you're saying. A boat repair shop on Lake Erie is just the first step to war with Canada over commercial fishing rights.

War is hell. No doubt.

We are not talking about a military base, we are talking about a manufacturing facility.

We make $chit. Bring it on.

We are not talking about a military base, we are talking about a manufacturing facility.
That's true, so you're probably right that we should get it. I'm just still uncomfortable with having the area getting attached to any serious military stuff and nuclear subs pulling into port in Lorain is gonna involve a lot of people in that realm. It's because of the last twenty years of foreign policy that I'm saying this. I threw Trump some soft support because he had the sense to turn off a lot of the Bush/Obama insane killing machine. Sometimes you gotta go to war, but man were they mean.

America, you coulda had Tulsi Gabbard as president. You had this choice. Now you gotta see Biden's hair plugs in HD.

That's true, so you're probably right that we should get it. I'm just still uncomfortable with having the area getting attached to any serious military stuff and nuclear subs pulling into port in Lorain is gonna involve a lot of people in that realm. It's because of the last twenty years of foreign policy that I'm saying this. I threw Trump some soft support because he had the sense to turn off a lot of the Bush/Obama insane killing machine. Sometimes you gotta go to war, but man were they mean.

America, you coulda had Tulsi Gabbard as president. You had this choice. Now you gotta see Biden's hair plugs in HD.
That last sentence made me spit out my coffee. Spot on. We can do better.

The profiteering from the neocon crowd was something else. Many on here talking about America first were buying the neocon BS back when Fox was selling it for Bush II. War is a necessary evil and should be the last resort and justified. I understand that our military must be ready, but there are other ways to fight a conflict. Vlad has it figured out. I could be wrong but the latest move by him is posturing. It was always an old Soviet tactic. I hope I am right.

If they are going to build this thing it might as well be in Ohio and we can reap the 3,000 jobs. Breathing new life into Lorain would be very cool. Might have to build a new Admiral King HS some day. ;)

The profiteering from the neocon crowd was something else. Many on here talking about America first were buying the neocon BS back when Fox was selling it for Bush II. War is a necessary evil and should be the last resort and justified.
Tucker Carlson said something about that, how basically that he was wrong back in the 2000s. He was screaming at Max Boot, who predictably fled to the Democrats once the GOP excised the neocons. Still thought Iraq was great. So I consider a lot of the posters on here reformed. Never in a million years did I think I'd see Democrats aligning with Jennifer Rubin of all people. Let's hope Trump's retirement is long and healthy because somebody finally toned down the Bush/Obama mess. May Lorain get its shipyard so long as Liz Cheney gets primaried.

Speaking of Vlad -- his first task was to extract Russia from a bloody Chechan war that DC's best buddy Boris Yeltsin waltzed into. Everyone whines and cries about the seizure of Crimea. You know what the death toll was? Zero. And yes before people come screaming at me I'm well aware he poisions his enemies with radiation and that. Even what's going on in Eastern Ukraine is nothing compared to the carnage of before. Sometimes bad people are correct in their actions, or at least better. Deal with it. I suspect even Biden knows this.

Not needed big waste of tax dollars. In the day of nukes why do we need ships and tanks for? Just to get us in wars like Nam, Iraq, Afghan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-lorain/naval-shipyards-thousands-of-jobs-could-be-coming-to-lorain-and-lordstown?_amp=true

More details emerge about the potential facility. I have to imagine that if it’s going to happen it’ll be announced by summer.

Between Intel and this we are talking a complete and total game change for Ohio manufacturing. Hopefully at some point NW Ohio gets to benefit. I don’t see that Peloton plant ever being built let alone hiring.

Last edited:
Speaking of Vlad -- his first task was to extract Russia from a bloody Chechan war that DC's best buddy Boris Yeltsin waltzed into. Everyone whines and cries about the seizure of Crimea. You know what the death toll was? Zero. And yes before people come screaming at me I'm well aware he poisions his enemies with radiation and that. Even what's going on in Eastern Ukraine is nothing compared to the carnage of before. Sometimes bad people are correct in their actions, or at least better. Deal with it. I suspect even Biden knows this.
And how many people died in the takeover of Czechoslovakia by Hitler?

Not needed big waste of tax dollars. In the day of nukes why do we need ships and tanks for? Just to get us in wars like Nam, Iraq, Afghan?
I agree that we should downsize the military. While Trump was always talking about peace and made good on it with summits and peace deals, he constantly amped up increasing the size of the military. You never know what the next president will do.

And how many people died in the takeover of Czechoslovakia by Hitler?
I don't see the analogy at all. Putin's Russocentric and pissed about lost territory, but if after 22 years in power he hasn't released his Mein Kampf then he must be hiding his desire to set up concentration camps real well. But there is a guy on the scene that does that: Xi Jinping.

Sure they will. Our interests extend beyond our borders.

You wouldve sat out WW2 "its happening over there, who cares?"
Where did I say that? Tanks and ships our obsolete in today's world? Want to stop Putin, give Ukraine some ballistic missiles that would make little Napolean think twice about invading Ukraine.