MVL 2023-24

Wow! Big win for Indians heading into Sidney rematch Tuesday.

Sidney had exciting comeback against Fairborn and won 54-46, 7th win in a row! Trailed most of the game but dominated fourth quarter. Showed a lot of heart. I see why Fairborn has played some teams tough. They're a lot better than last year.

Sidney had a nice finish to the season but blew their first tournament game last night. Up 46-36 against Stebbins and got outscored 22-4 in last 5 minutes. Had beaten Stebbins handily both times in regular season, including 55-39 the second time. Unfortunate end to otherwise good second half of season. Finish 15-8.

We'll see what other MVL teams can do in the tourney. Will probably come down to Tipp making a run in D2, if anybody does. Piqua and Greenville already have been smashed, and Miamisburg solidly beat Butler.

Two pages for the entire basketball season. Does anyone care about MCL hoops?

They need to play more non-conference games to build some excitement since the conference is so bad.

Two pages for the entire basketball season. Does anyone care about MCL hoops?

They need to play more non-conference games to build some excitement since the conference is so bad.
Or let Trotwood back into the league. They will make everyone step their game up.. So goofy they are not in this conference.

Last edited:
The Rams don't. They are good. Was just trying to help your teams get better. I'll comment again when an MVL squad gets to the at least the regional........Best of luck!

Here and now. Not then. If we want to go back. Just check the Rams resume. It's all good man. How the Jackets do this year?

Congrats to Kellen Miller of Troy on making 1st team MVL.
I saw Troy play in Centerville last week. They got beat pretty good but I was impressed with the length positive attitudes of some of those guys out there. Are they young and is this kid one of them(young)?

I don't know how the Troy faithful feel about the coach but one thing he did do was coach from whistle to whistle, regardless of the score. Unlike the coach from WC, looks like he gave up. I also like the energy of the Fairborn staff. Just an observation. Congrats young man!

I saw Troy play in Centerville last week. They got beat pretty good but I was impressed with the length positive attitudes of some of those guys out there. Are they young and is this kid one of them(young)?

I don't know how the Troy faithful feel about the coach but one thing he did do was coach from whistle to whistle, regardless of the score. Unlike the coach from WC, looks like he gave up. I also like the energy of the Fairborn staff. Just an observation. Congrats young man!
Troy did win the league in 2022 - 23

Is this the worst season ever for boys MVL basketball? Teams were a combined 2-12 in post-season and average point differential of -27.2 points per game. 3 teams knocked out by DPS so they already have a better post-season record. Do we only play teams in our own division twice and the out of division once to get more out of conference games? We clearly weren't ready for post-season. 50 point losses should never happen. It's one thing to lose but another to get embarrassed with the scores we had.

Last edited:
Is this the worst season ever for boys MVL basketball? Teams were a combined 2-12 in post-season.
I think during non-conference games, the MVL went something like 7-25. And it's not like the schools played a tough schedule. Make it fun for the kids and lower the number of conference games.

I imagine MVL officials will spin it that it will be different with the playoff expansion.

Adding the divisions will help the MVL in the tournament, but you guys are right that they have to reduce the number of league games so they can toughen up their schedules. It's not that hard to find games.

If league teams go 7-25 with the few nonconference games they played this year, what is playing more nonconference games going to do? Allow them to go 28-100?

You look at Tipp that went 20-2 in the regular season but barely beats a 9-14 Meadowdale in the 1st round (1 point game in final minutes) and loses to 14-10 Dunbar. They definitely would have benefitted from more non-conference games. They wouldn't have gone 20-2 and had the District 9 coach of the year but they would have been better prepared for the tournament. They will be down the next several years. They graduate all of their size this year and the pipeline is pretty bare. Too many athletes quitting the basketball program.

If league teams go 7-25 with the few nonconference games they played this year, what is playing more nonconference games going to do? Allow them to go 28-100?
So, just have the MVL continue doing what they are doing. Ok. Half the conference games are meaningless competitive events.

Seriously, talked to one kid after a tourney loss and he said how different it was playing against athletes who could really jump. And how he had to really concentrate on boxing out. It was as if he never had to worry about that during the season.

You guys seem to forget all those years the MVL teams were in the GWOC, played crossover games against the Waynes, Springfields, Trotwoods, and Centervilles and played more nonconference games.

What was the difference between now and then? There is none. MVL teams didn't go far in tourney then either. All that competition Xenia and Sidney played in regular season when they had Curtis and Gordon and neither ever got out of sectionals. Why? By your logic, they should have. They played were playing Trotwood, Wayne and Springfield in regular season. Why didn't that competition make the difference in tourney?

You can count on one hand the number of times the last 24 years an MVL school got out of a D1 sectional to a district final, and that's including the Golsberry/Gorney Butler and Terwilliger/Carter Troy teams. If you want to talk the last 20 years, I think I heard recently Troy has made it once, and that's it. Tipp hasn't made it that much in D2 either (though again, they won a district title 3 years ago)

Everyone keeps complaining that the mvl teams should be winning tourney games. Which tourney game should they have won? Should Xenia have beat Centerville? Should Stebbins have beat Fairmont? The gwoc schools are two times as big. Then everyone blames the league schedule. Tipp never played a tough nonleague schedule in the cbc. Either they were good or they werent. That is what decided if they won a bunch of post season games. When Troy had DI talent they won tourney games. That hasnt happened in years so they havent won. That is how it goes. Unless Butler gets more 7 footers or Troy gets another Hall they arent going to beat Centerville Fairmont or Wayne. Having more nonleague games wont help that at all. Talent will help. Get more talent. Stop saying its league schedule or not enough nonleague games.

Last edited:
Make it fun for the kids. I know kids would rather play (and lose) to Wayne or Centerville, than play Greenville or Xenia twice a year.
Also look at game attendance. Fans don't care either!

ButlerParent: is the rumor true that Butler cancelled the Franklin game so they wouldn't have a losing record this year?

Last edited: