MVL 2023-24

SidneyJackets

Let's get it going!

Defending champion Troy came up to Sidney and showed their not to be taken lightly. Four players scored in double figures, and Kellen Miller looked like POY material.

Sidney should be decent and have an improved record (though they shouldn't have had a bad as record as last year). Solid starting 5, but not much depth. They looked good but were inconsistent, especially in D.

Sidney led by as many as 13 in the second quarter IIRC but gave up big run before half. Still led most of the rest of the way but fell apart in the last minute.

What's the word on everyone else? Saw Butler and West Carrollton played close game Friday. Both should be good, right? Saw Tipp took it to Greenville to start off.

Greenville? Maybe worse competitively than the football team was. I get it, it's just high school sports, but it's embarrassing. There's no excuse.

Greenville? Maybe worse competitively than the football team was. I get it, it's just high school sports, but it's embarrassing. There's no excuse.
I feel you. Sidney was in the same place not so long ago. Best thing post-Bowser/Gordon era is they've continued to stay competitive after those guys graduated. Hopefully the culture shift is permanent.

Hope Greenville can turn it around.

Of the ten teams that I have seen, I think only two has more field goals made than turnovers. Kids jacking 3s. Only one or two kids can beat their man off the dribble. Tough to watch.

Best team I have seen is Sidney Girls. If they had one (or two) more players they could really make a run in Stare.

Last edited:
Of the ten teams that I have seen, I think only two has more field goals made than turnovers. Kids jacking 3s. Only one or two kids can beat their man off the dribble. Tough to watch.

Best team I have seen is Sidney Girls. If they had one (or two) more players they could really make a run in Stare.
I've watched 3 boys MVL teams and this is the worst varsity basketball I've seen. What happened? Lack of talent and coaching.

Sidney beat Tecumseh on Tuesday and Xenia on Thursday both by double digits. A'zon Steele is leading the league in scoring. They're at Stebbins Tuesday and then are home against WC Friday.

Tipp crushed Piqua Tuesday. I'm guessing they're the best this year. Game against Troy tonight should show just how good.

Sounds like Troy/Tipp was defensive battle. I knew Piqua lost everything, but they must be really rough, after seeing that Stebbins score. Sidney plays at Stebbins Tuesday.

Sorry. I was wrong. I think the whole MVL is bad.
One of Tipp's best players left the team last year and didn't come back this year. A lot of good underclassmen didn't come out this year either. They just don't like the new coach. With the success of football and soccer they'd rather focus on those. I don't expect it's going to get any better there for a while.

One of Tipp's best players left the team last year and didn't come back this year. A lot of good underclassmen didn't come out this year either. They just don't like the new coach. With the success of football and soccer they'd rather focus on those. I don't expect it's going to get any better there for a while.
I did not know that. I know that's happening more and more.

When I watched Stebbins-Piqua and thought it was one of the worst games I have seen in quite awhile. Can't believe Stebbins beat Tipp.

Sidney had a good chance to get back in title race tonight at Tipp. Took a 4 point lead late, but Tipp scored last 7. Jackets weren't helped by some calls not going their way, but such is life. Still could have won.

Third straight loss for Sidney, which is 5-5. 4-4 in MVL. Should break losing streak tomorrow against Bellefontaine.

Stebbins beat Butler tonight, so Tipp now is all alone in first place. Stebbins is in first in Valley with 6-2 league record. They haven't lost since Sidney beat them about a month ago.

Sidney had a good chance to get back in title race tonight at Tipp. Took a 4 point lead late, but Tipp scored last 7. Jackets weren't helped by some calls not going their way, but such is life. Still could have won.

Third straight loss for Sidney, which is 5-5. 4-4 in MVL. Should break losing streak tomorrow against Bellefontaine.

Stebbins beat Butler tonight, so Tipp now is all alone in first place. Stebbins is in first in Valley with 6-2 league record. They haven't lost since Sidney beat them about a month ago.

Sidney did a great job of neutralizing Tipp's big man with their zone. Tipp seemed unsure of how to attack it for most of the game. Felt like Sidney had the game won down the stretch too, but a few lucky bounces and Tipp found themselves on top in the end.

Sidney beats Xenia 67-56. It was pretty much over after first quarter, though Xenia didn't give up.

Stebbins comes up here on Friday.

Last edited:
Sidney defeated Stebbins 55-39. Game was closer than the final score as Sidney put on a big spurt in the last two minutes to salt the game away. Stebbins closed the gap to 42-37 but Sidney didn't fold. Great game by the Jackets. Will need to be on their game again Tuesday at West Carrollton.