MVL 2023-24

Tipp will have their hands full next week. Caught some breaks tonight with CJ having some timely penalties and bad turnovers. Tipp was gassed in the 4th. Hope CJs stud RB is alright. Scary moment late in the game.
Man Tipp is always “catching breaks” to win games, yet somehow they are always winning. Was Tipp giving up an onside kick to start the second half “catching a break”?

we should have won by more but not complaining. The 12th man was in full effect last night and THE RED DEVILS win! So proud of those MEN and coaches. Show me a coach that gets more for their kids. You can’t! Tough game coming up with Celina so we will have to bring it but I know our guys have the heart and ability to do it. CJ can be proud they played with a ton of heart and that is a good team right there they just ran into the buzzsaw. 🤘

Looks like a Tipp vs Badin regional final rematch may be on the horizon. It is always funny going back into these threads and reading about how Tipp won’t be very good, or go very far in the playoffs. For one of the best and most consistent programs in the area, people seem to always doubt.
Not keeping score but pretty sure I said this all season long and got raked over the coals for being a homer. Every year Tipp is and will be a playoff team. Maybe not a state champ every year but they will be in the conversation. BTW not coming at you here I am agreeing with you and my comment is directed towards the doubters.

Tipp will have their hands full next week. Caught some breaks tonight with CJ having some timely penalties and bad turnovers. Tipp was gassed in the 4th. Hope CJs stud RB is alright. Scary moment late in the game.
Good teams make their own “luck” at least that’s what I would tell my kids when I coached their CYO teams eons ago. CJ had some costly penalties but that was a hostile environment and they probably haven’t faced that pressure and noise at the same time all year. Good teams prevail and overcome. Celina will be tough for sure and on paper should win but that’s the story of our lives in Tipp. Never the biggest, fastest or most coveted but always the HARDER working team. Always the team with more FIGHT, DESIRE and BELIEF. That can take you a long way in sports and life. Our kids in all sports are winners on the field and more importantly they go on to be winners in life! Bring on Celina we will be ready and we will fight and give ‘em’ hell for four quarters. Win lose or draw I’m tickled pink at what this team has done this year and the powerhouse that coach has built in our little town.

Man Tipp is always “catching breaks” to win games, yet somehow they are always winning. Was Tipp giving up an onside kick to start the second half “catching a break”?
No that was just a good call by CJ. CJs starting QB being sent off by the officials and the backup fumbling the snap with all the momentum was “catching a break”.

No that was just a good call by CJ. CJs starting QB being sent off by the officials and the backup fumbling the snap with all the momentum was “catching a break”.
That is not “catching a break” if CJ doesn’t have their backup QB prepared enough to take a damn snap that’s on them, not some lucky bounce for Tipp. In that case CJ should have been more prepared!

Greenville is needing a new coach. Anyone notable looking at that job?
That job is going to be a multi year build. They need to find someone that is committed to the area and will stay there a minimum of 5-6 years. Hard to believe Greenville went 7-3 back in 2019 and beat Tipp, Butler, and Sidney. They have only won 5 total games since then and had the best offensive weapon in the league for 2 of those years in Brock Short. Get a good system offense, Wing-t, Flexbone, Wishbone and use the big boys up front to grind on people and shorten games. Program is pretty low, maybe rock bottom, right now so you need to get kids wanting to play football again and give them chances to be successful.

That job is going to be a multi year build. They need to find someone that is committed to the area and will stay there a minimum of 5-6 years. Hard to believe Greenville went 7-3 back in 2019 and beat Tipp, Butler, and Sidney. They have only won 5 total games since then and had the best offensive weapon in the league for 2 of those years in Brock Short. Get a good system offense, Wing-t, Flexbone, Wishbone and use the big boys up front to grind on people and shorten games. Program is pretty low, maybe rock bottom, right now so you need to get kids wanting to play football again and give them chances to be successful.
This was exactly my point in an earlier post. Be the contrarian in a league full of spread teams. Shorten games, make your losses not look as bad and try to steal some games

This was exactly my point in an earlier post. Be the contrarian in a league full of spread teams. Shorten games, make your losses not look as bad and try to steal some games

they need to run an offense like Fairmont does in the Gwoc under Dave Miller. They throw maybe 2 times a game and the rest of the time they are running for 3 and 4 yards on every play. You know what you never see? Then get blown out. They are often times outmatched skill and athlete wise but they are often in it. They even beat some top tier teams. They make them play mistake free football to win.

Get the big boys in the weight room and make them eat. Buy into it. Then you can have a successful program.

they need to run an offense like Fairmont does in the Gwoc under Dave Miller. They throw maybe 2 times a game and the rest of the time they are running for 3 and 4 yards on every play. You know what you never see? Then get blown out. They are often times outmatched skill and athlete wise but they are often in it. They even beat some top tier teams. They make them play mistake free football to win.

Get the big boys in the weight room and make them eat. Buy into it. Then you can have a successful program.
Most importantly have a vision of success that you can sell the players and parents. Your not going undefeated or even win your league anytime soon, so have milestones and goals that are short term(seasonal) and long term(year over year improvement) and sell that vision to the players and parents. Then sell it to the middle school and pee wee football program. If it was me I would go talk to the softball coaches at Greenville and ask them how they get buy in from players and parents, as they are the most successful and consistent program at the school. Then make the weight room available as much as possible so that even kids playing other sports can get in there. I think you can reasonable win 24-27 games (basically 5-5 or 4-6) with this plan over a 5 year run. You have to beat West Carrollton, Fairborn, Stebbins, and then steal some games from Butler, Xenia, Sidney and beat Eaton or easier first game.

What is in the Pipeline at Greenville?
Any good classes coming up?
An 0 and 10 season from lack of good coaching or lack of athletes or coachable athletes?
Versailles has scrimmaged them the last two years and it looked like Greenville was in awe of Versailles and had no confidence.

Did their coach leave?

How is a new coach supposed to make talent? Greenville has had none for several years. Short was it. This year they had no talent at all. Thats not the coachs fault.
Even without talent the right scheme and program and kids who buy in can make a difference. Good athletes just take you over the top. Changes start with small progressions

Name all of the winning programs that have no talent no size no speed.
The powers that be in Greenville have to be realistic like TroyTrojan05 said. They're not going to win the MVL...But they can shorten games, limit opponent possessions. You can do that through scheme and time in the weight room. You make games interesting by only losing by a few scores and the kids will come out. You keep lining up in the spread trying to play the same brand of football as the rest of the league without the athletes they'll continue to have the 40 point losses. No kid wants to play for that

Just to kind of touch on this… Fairmont beat Alter and Springfield respectively this year. Both are playing in the state championship game.

The powers that be in Greenville have to be realistic like TroyTrojan05 said. They're not going to win the MVL...But they can shorten games, limit opponent possessions. You can do that through scheme and time in the weight room. You make games interesting by only losing by a few scores and the kids will come out. You keep lining up in the spread trying to play the same brand of football as the rest of the league without the athletes they'll continue to have the 40 point losses. No kid wants to play for that
So kids arent coming out at Greenville?

Football 0-10 last place
2022 basketball 2-21 last place
2022 wrestling seventh place
2022 track sixth place
2022 baseball 7-16 last place

Problem isnt the offense. The problem is you have no athletic talent. Its in all sports.

Any coaches fired or resigned in MVL? Butler needs to step up and get Geuth a job in the school.
Only one I have heard of, only Greenville so far. MVL has late openings though because coaches leave for other jobs that are open now. I was wondering about Nees at Piqua. Last season was probably the worst Piqua team I have ever seen, but Bill has earned enough equity to weather that storm. I wonder if any coach will go after the Beavercreek job?

Last edited:

Football 0-10 last place
2022 track sixth place

Problem isnt the offense. The problem is you have no athletic talent. Its in all sports.
I agree they don't have a ton of talent, but you have to match your scheme to your talent. The offense they ran was not matching their talent. They should have been running a wing-t, wishbone, flexbone, or even a Pro-I type of ball control offense that allows them to limit other teams possessions and run clock. There defense needs to be tightened up scheme wise, watched a team go trips and run speed option to the closed side about 15 times in one game and they never adjusted. The poor D-end was wrong no matter what and they never had another guy for the pitch. Remember they were 7-3 in 2019 so they have talent, it just needs to be used correctly. I believe they could be competitive in half their games, (Fairborn, Stebbins, W.C., Sidney, Eaton)

Football 0-10 last place
2022 track sixth place

A good coach can do a lot. Look at Greenville girls. They are usually just as bad across all sports, yet they're a softball power.

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent coach to take the Greenville job. Kids are just not motivated and can't compete in any sports. Every once in a while they get a great athlete, but the majority of their kids seem like they couldn't care less

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent coach to take the Greenville job. Kids are just not motivated and can't compete in any sports. Every once in a while they get a great athlete, but the majority of their kids seem like they couldn't care less
It never used to be this way. We always at the very least would compete. It seems to be a problem in most of the sports if we're just hiring coaches as placeholders. I'd love to see some of that softball program mojo spread out across the board.

I agree they don't have a ton of talent, but you have to match your scheme to your talent. The offense they ran was not matching their talent. They should have been running a wing-t, wishbone, flexbone, or even a Pro-I type of ball control offense that allows them to limit other teams possessions and run clock. There defense needs to be tightened up scheme wise, watched a team go trips and run speed option to the closed side about 15 times in one game and they never adjusted. The poor D-end was wrong no matter what and they never had another guy for the pitch. Remember they were 7-3 in 2019 so they have talent, it just needs to be used correctly. I believe they could be competitive in half their games, (Fairborn, Stebbins, W.C., Sidney, Eaton)
They HAD talent. I have not seen any talent other than the runningback in a long time. Look at my post. This aint a football thing. Look at all sports. No talent. Its right there in front of you if you look at my post. Their scheme isnt the problem. Run whatever you want they will not win because they have no talent.

Will the players want to play in those offenses? Probably not.

It never used to be this way. We always at the very least would compete. It seems to be a problem in most of the sports if we're just hiring coaches as placeholders. I'd love to see some of that softball program mojo spread out across the board.
What is the softball feeder system like at Greenville?

They HAD talent. I have not seen any talent other than the runningback in a long time. Look at my post. This aint a football thing. Look at all sports. No talent. Its right there in front of you if you look at my post. Their scheme isnt the problem. Run whatever you want they will not win because they have no talent.

Again...it isn't about winning the league. Is about getting some first downs, burning some clock, and not having a -322 point differential.

I agree with you that there seems to be a system wide issue for sports at Greenville. Does that mean they need an new Superintendent, Principle, AD, weight room leader, or Youth League? IDK? What I'm saying is there is one outlier in softball, so the same population that has a great softball team with talent also has boys in the school as well. So to say there is no talent seems to me would be the genetic anomaly that science really should look at. I'm not saying that these other sports will win State Titles, like the softball team, but there is enough talent to win 3-5 games most years and then when you have a special class or two you make a run to win your division/league and make a 2nd round of the playoff run. I have seen Greenville personally go from a team that was competent, schematically sound, and discipled to a team that struggles to get plays off, and has no direction or scheme consistency.
Since joining the MVL(2019)
Greenville is 11-34 overall (regular season only)
Butler is 17-27 overall (regular season only)
Before the 2023 season Greenville had 11 wins and Butler had 9. Did Greenville have more overall talent than Butler since joining the MVL? Did Butler get an influx of talent before the 2023 season? How many starters from 2022 were also starters in 2023 for Butler? Was there a change that could account for the 8-2 record(out of the norm season since joining the MVL) outside of just more talent?

I am not arguing that Greenville will dominate the MVL and make deep playoff runs. I am simply saying that there is enough talent at Greenville, if properly coached and grown, that they can win games every year and not be a laughing stock. They will need to get a coach that is going to engage the community and get buy in, plus willing to grow the program and not jump to another job after a couple successful seasons. Does that coach exist, IDK

The kids will play in whatever system is successful and doesn't get them embarrassed.