MSNBC: American flag is “disturbing”

Watched the video just now. Still doesn't help. Her underlying premise is that if you drive pickup trucks, have bumper stickers bashing sleepy Joe, have trump flags, or American flags you're racist ...as she tried to connect all of those things to "whiteness".

I bet she didn't see dozens of these things anyway. We know the media isn't above lying to spread a narrative.

The full text and the context is important:

"I think that as long as they see Americanness as the same as one with Whiteness, this is going to continue," Gay said, turning to race and adding that "Americanness" and "Whiteness" needed to be separated.

"I was on Long Island this weekend visiting a really dear friend, and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens and dozens of pickup trucks with explicatives [sic] against Joe Biden on the back of them, Trump flags, and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing … Essentially the message was clear. This is my country. This is not your country. I own this," Gay said.

We have a guy in my town who drives around w/ one of those. F Biden and F You For Voting For Him. (They're all over Amazon). And of course accompanied with the American Flag and Trump Flag - to verify his patriotism.

DSwM9ObVAAg5kXg.jpg

?‍♂️

The full text and the context is important:

"I think that as long as they see Americanness as the same as one with Whiteness, this is going to continue," Gay said, turning to race and adding that "Americanness" and "Whiteness" needed to be separated.

"I was on Long Island this weekend visiting a really dear friend, and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens and dozens of pickup trucks with explicatives [sic] against Joe Biden on the back of them, Trump flags, and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing … Essentially the message was clear. This is my country. This is not your country. I own this," Gay said.

I mean, it basically sounds just as batshit crazy with the "context" added.

Hope this helps.

she is saying that a truck owner that flies the American flag is white people telling poc they don't belong in America. people on this site are defending this. the premise is total horsecrap. if you even come close to agreeing with this woman you are part of the problem and I dont have a clue how to talk to you. you are beyond hope.
Literally no one has defended or agreed with that in this thread.

Correct. She said it is "disturbing."
No. She's not saying that the American flag is disturbing. If that's the case, the American flag flying at my dad's house right next to his "Bye Don" flag is disturbing. If that's the case, the American flags in the stands in Denver for USA/Mexico soccer the other night were disturbing. If that's the case, every Fourth of July parade and festival across country is disturbing. Do you truly believe that's what Mara Gay's saying? Truly?

The American flag represents a lot of different things to different people. It could represent someone's grandfather who stormed the Normandy beaches at D-day. It could represent the opportunity to make a new life after immigrating from the other side of the world. It could represent the freedom to worship who you want to worship and love who you want to love. And for some people, call them the Kaepernick followers, it represents a nation that might not be living up to its ideals. I think it is naive to not believe there is also not a small subset of people who feel the way Mara Gay describes - that America = white conservatism, and it belongs to no one else. Using the American flag to symbolize that is what she finds disturbing.