Moving out of New Bremen

MAC861

Moving out of New Bremen area because the wife wants to buy a house. (Been renting) where is the best place for my kids to go? For athletics and academics? Open to any and all suggestions and would appreciate any feed back if anyone has any. Thanks!

What town do you work in? Does she work, what town? What town are you guys from originally? Where does your extended family live? How far are you willing to commute?

What town do you work in? Does she work, what town? What town are you guys from originally? Where does your extended family live? How far are you willing to commute?
As far as the specifics of what town we work in, i don’t want to get that specific, but st Mary’s, any MAC school, Ft Loramie potentially wapak are all being considered. The commute isn’t too much of a bad thing as one of us works from home and doesn’t have to drive.

Taking academics, all sports town and environment, I would suggest staying in New Bremen or look at Minster or Coldwater.

Those three seem to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Try and stay away from the big towns, Wapak, Sidney, Celina or St Mary's. Nothing specific, just my preference.

Taking academics, all sports town and environment, I would suggest staying in New Bremen or look at Minster or Coldwater.

Try and stay away from the big towns, Wapak, Sidney, Celina or St Mary's. Nothing specific, just my preference.
Would you suggest Marion Local along with NB, CW and Minster? I hear good things about ML but that is from ML person.

Thank you.

Moving out of New Bremen area because the wife wants to buy a house. (Been renting) where is the best place for my kids to go? For athletics and academics? Open to any and all suggestions and would appreciate any feed back if anyone has any. Thanks!
two miles to the south of you.....straught down StRT66

Why not buy in New Bremen?

MAC country seems to be ideal. Why move?

Since I am a smart arse, i give you the following suggestions.

If your kid can throw a ball, Springfield HS may be looking for their next QB.
Just want your kid to win a state title, then Marion Local is your best bet.
If he is a runner, maybe Bellefontaine?
Possibly a lineman, then Wapok?
Receiver, one of the good Catholic schools in Cincy.
Wrestler, a solid St. Paris
Girls track or XC, then Minster
Basketball...good luck with that

Take a look at the housing crunch in MAC country. You better know someone that's selling.

MAC country seems to be ideal. Why move?

Since I am a smart arse, i give you the following suggestions.

If your kid can throw a ball, Springfield HS may be looking for their next QB.
Just want your kid to win a state title, then Marion Local is your best bet.
If he is a runner, maybe Bellefontaine?
Possibly a lineman, then Wapok?
Receiver, one of the good Catholic schools in Cincy.
Wrestler, a solid St. Paris
Girls track or XC, then Minster
Basketball...good luck with that
Ha. I believe my son has aspirations to be a wide receiver. I know Loramie had a great receiver last year. Maybe Loramie is the place to go if my son wants to catch some passes. Maybe minster as well? They seem to throw the ball around too.

You really can't go wrong with those 3 communities on Route 66 if you can find a place. If your son wants to be a Wide receiver, Coldwater would be another good option but the real estate market here is pretty cutthroat at times. It took me a few years to find a house I could afford.
Ha. I believe my son has aspirations to be a wide receiver. I know Loramie had a great receiver last year. Maybe Loramie is the place to go if my son wants to catch some passes. Maybe minster as well? They seem to throw the ball around too.

If we're looking at academic and athletics for MAC area and where to go I would actually have ML, FL, Minster, Versailles, and SH above Coldwater. CW has a fantastic school but looking at actual state academic rankings, the others are above and also post very good athletics.

Best combo may be ML, Minster, FL, Versailles. That quad county area is very good. Can't go wrong with SH and NB then also who both are strong in academics and athletics. Coldwater is also very good so that isn't a slight as comparing to similar sized schools in the state they would be almost the top with the other schools mentioned.

If we're looking at academic and athletics for MAC area and where to go I would actually have ML, FL, Minster, Versailles, and SH above Coldwater. CW has a fantastic school but looking at actual state academic rankings, the others are above and also post very good athletics.

Best combo may be ML, Minster, FL, Versailles. That quad county area is very good. Can't go wrong with SH and NB then also who both are strong in academics and athletics. Coldwater is also very good so that isn't a slight as comparing to similar sized schools in the state they would be almost the top with the other schools mentioned.
How are the housing markets in these towns? I feel like every time we’ve looked to buy a house in the recent years it has been extremely difficult.

How are the housing markets in these towns? I feel like every time we’ve looked to buy a house in the recent years it has been extremely difficult.
Ya just avoid SH if you can. The town, school, and people are top notch, but finding housing is very very competitive. Most houses here are sold for above asking, and usually you need to know the person is selling before it goes on the market. Not too often does a house actually hit the market before it is sold.

Ya just avoid SH if you can. The town, school, and people are top notch, but finding housing is very very competitive. Most houses here are sold for above asking, and usually you need to know the person is selling before it goes on the market. Not too often does a house actually hit the market before it is sold.
If you can somehow manage to find a house, Fort Recovery's great. Amazing community and school. Kinda the same situation as stated here, but also the landlocked nature of the town doesn't help with finding lots to build, and just houses in general. Lotta people want to come back, just can't find anywhere to live.

If you can somehow manage to find a house, Fort Recovery's great. Amazing community and school. Kinda the same situation as stated here, but also the landlocked nature of the town doesn't help with finding lots to build, and just houses in general. Lotta people want to come back, just can't find anywhere to live.
i see that as a problem in all the towns around here, towns refuse to put Apartments up, and most towns have 1 or 2 builders that own ALL the lots to build.... that raises the price of homes because of no competion....... but you have many manufacturing companies in this area that want to hire young people.... but they have no options in where to live....

New Bremen is really nice, not sure you will find much better when it comes to a smaller school that competes at a high level in athletics. Also, if New Bremen is expensive then moving to a school district near Cincinnati is going to be a lot more expensive. I say stay put and enjoy that area.

it’s hard to go wrong anywhere in MAC-land. academically, athletically, and culturally, it’s all you could ask for when raising a family. i wish you the best in finding a home in the area, but that is certainly an uphill battle to climb.

my advice, don’t consider your sons athletic career too much when choosing a spot to move. everything can change when a coach changes, and coaching changes are usually impossible to predict. your son will have a have a meaningful experience and be taught valuable life lessons wherever he plays ball. winning games and posting great stats is just a fun extra.

with all that being said, winning a state championship (or 2..3..4??) at Marion Local would be a memory that lasts a lifetime for him.

I can understand you saying big towns compared to MAC land but none of those are big towns. I would stay in MAC land but I think education is what you make of it as a student. My question is at NB, Minister and Coldwater can you take college prep classes in the school or do they have to be online? I ask because I know kids that are getting there associates degree taking classes in school at Sidney. Also, other schools Sidney's size, just don't know about the smaller schools. I know a kid from Fairlawn that takes one class in school and the rest are all online college prep classes to me that isn't an education. That is just my opinion.

I hate online classes, I'm old fashion and want kids to be taught and lectured by a teacher in front of them. I think online classes are an way out for colleges to make money.

I can understand you saying big towns compared to MAC land but none of those are big towns. I would stay in MAC land but I think education is what you make of it as a student. My question is at NB, Minister and Coldwater can you take college prep classes in the school or do they have to be online? I ask because I know kids that are getting there associates degree taking classes in school at Sidney. Also, other schools Sidney's size, just don't know about the smaller schools. I know a kid from Fairlawn that takes one class in school and the rest are all online college prep classes to me that isn't an education. That is just my opinion.

I hate online classes, I'm old fashion and want kids to be taught and lectured by a teacher in front of them. I think online classes are an way out for colleges to make money.
These are great points. Kids can succeed anywhere if they’ve got a strong family at home to push them. People see schools’ test scores and assume that places like Sidney or St. Marys don’t provide as good of an education as the smaller rural schools. What they don’t see is that these larger schools have more kids from disadvantaged backgrounds, and that’s why they don’t do as well in school. There are definitely more in-school class options at larger schools.

Those are all big towns (8000-20000 people).

Yes, you can take in school college credit plus classes at any school in the classroom with a live teacher. My son has completed College Composition I and II and has completed calculus while at one of these small schools.

That's now part of the state report card for all these schools, the ability to push the gifted and talented and get them extra or advanced curriculum.

Last edited:
Those are all big towns (8000-20000 people).

Yes, you can take in school college credit plus classes at any school in the classroom with a live teacher. My son has completed College Composition I and II and has completed calculus while at one of these small schools.

That's now part of the state report card for all these schools, the ability to push the gifted and talented and get them extra or advanced curriculum.
That is great kids can do that every now. I would say keep your kid in a MAC school then. Although if you want your kid to experience all walks of live then send him to a bigger school. I guess it depends are where you grew up, on what you consider big. I graduated with around 250 kids. When I see schools graduating 5, 6 and 700 hundred, hell some even more kids, that is big to me. Good luck with your house search and good luck to your children.

That is great kids can do that every now. I would say keep your kid in a MAC school then. Although if you want your kid to experience all walks of live then send him to a bigger school. I guess it depends are where you grew up, on what you consider big. I graduated with around 250 kids. When I see schools graduating 5, 6 and 700 hundred, hell some even more kids, that is big to me. Good luck with your house search and good luck to your children.

I grew up in suburban Columbus. My wife from small town. Live in a small town now. My brother lives in suburban Columbus with his wife and kids. I would never go back.

As stated, anywhere is good around here... including the communities and schools that are the NWC.. most of them a tier below the southern auglaize, southern mercer, northern shelby communities, but are still great areas