Most underrated linebackers in St. Xavier history?

reloadfan

I’ll start, Sean Reilly ‘22. 2020 State Championship starter and 103 career tackles. Always did his job and was a team player.

You're going to be accused of being me with that screen name.

Reilly definitely fits the bill......
A 2 year starter with over 100 tackles who was never recognized on the GCL all star team or a college recruit
He was overshadowed by the LBs he played with.....Matt Devine, Max Bonner and Grant Lyons

Here are some LBs in the past 20 years who were solid players with good numbers but were in the shadows of the Kuechley's, Hillard's, Cole Jones, Miller brothers, Nick Schneider etc.

Nick Stroube, Will Childs, Carter Raleigh, Nick Deitz, Pete Lees and Dave Herman

Deitz and Reilly always had a knack for being around the ball, and if Reilly missed a tackle it was a scrapbook moment.
A great you missed on the list was Steven Daniels, who I believe started with Kuechly at BC.

Deitz and Reilly always had a knack for being around the ball, and if Reilly missed a tackle it was a scrapbook moment.
A great you missed on the list was Steven Daniels, who I believe started with Kuechly at BC.
Steven Daniels one of the best LBs in StX history (so he didn't fly under the radar in the shadows, he was the shadow)
He and classmate Sean Duggan formed one of the best LB corps in StX history and both followed Kuechley to Boston College
Kuechley left BC after his junior year (2011) and Duggan and Daniels were freshmen that year so they never were on the field together.

Daniel's impressive resume......
Athlete of the Year in the GCL his senior year
1st team GCL both his junior and senior year.
Record shattering senior year *18 sacks, *34 tackles for loss, *159 yards tackled for loss, *121 sack yardage
*single season records
He is 12th at StX in career tackles with 243 (2010: 117 tackles, 2009: 96 tackles, 2008: 30 tackles)
He had numerous D1 scholarship offers his senior year and chose Boston College where he played 4 years
He was drafted in the 7th round by Washington Redskins
He is currently a coach on the defensive staff at Bryant University

Since 2000 only 3 LBs had more career tackles at StX than Daniels
1. Nick Schneider: 3 year starter 2005-2007: 282 tackles
2. Luke Kuechley: 2 year starter 2007-2008: 271 tackles
3. Cole Jones: 3 year starter 2012-2014: 266 tackles

Going back a couple decades:
J. Schroeder and E. Scheitt (sp?) and Chad Rohr.
They were huge factors in the success of the 98-99 team.

Mike and Lamar Marshall were Linebackers as well correct?
Lamar played CB while at X before heading to Mich St., was rail thin at the time. I believe he either started or was the nickel corner in the '92 championship game.

Mike was a year or two younger, and one of the most amazing specimens I got to see in person. If I remember correctly as a sophomore starting LB, went about 6'3, 235-245, was basically chiseled and could fly, an incredible athlete. He had offers from just about everyone east of the Mississippi during his junior year. Then about a week before his senior season decided to focus all energy on basketball, and earned a scholarship to Butler, playing several years, then coaching. IIRC the X defensive backfield that year has 4 kids headed to play at the next level, and was absolutely lights out against the pass. I can only imagine how much greater they would have been with Mike in the middle, he was damn near unstoppable.

Going back a couple decades:
J. Schroeder and E. Scheitt (sp?) and Chad Rohr.
They were huge factors in the success of the 98-99 team.
Eric Scheidt was a 3 year starter from 1997-1999 with a cumulative 30-6 record, losing in the regional final in 1997 (Moe) and 1999 (Wayne) and the state final in 1998 (Canton McKinley)

He is 5th in career tackles at StX with 280 tackles (1999: 103 tackles, 1998: 92 tackles, 1997: 85 tackles)

The other LBs he played with…..
1997: Mike Dooley and Chad Rohrer
1998: Mike Dooley and Brad Heizman
1999: Brian Heizman and Matt Vogele

I think Jim Schroeder played safety on the 1997 team.