Monroe's Mullins Resigns

jdizzle

No official word yet from Monroe's AD or administration, but the head football coach at Monroe, Bob Mullins, has resigned.

Moderators, take down this post if you need an official word. He had a meeting with players yesterday at school.

Good luck to Coach Mullins.

Does Monroe actively search for some good candidates or just wait and see who applies when they post it? Historically, Monroe isn't going out to get anyone....

Best of luck to Monroe's AD/Administration in finding a good replacement for Coach Mullins.

Always hate to see a triple option guy leave. Seems like he brought Monroe back to relevance. At least until this season.

Well Monroe has never been a school to go out and open up their pocketbook to get a really good coach. I think they usually wait and see who applies and go from there. Wouldn't surprise me if some coaches already on staff apply. My pick would be Joe Snively but I doubt he'll take it.

Last edited:
Always hate to see a triple option guy leave. Seems like he brought Monroe back to relevance. At least until this season.
Always hurts to lose a kid like Elijah Jackson who led the league in rushing for 2 straight years. Then, the injury bug hit them hard this year. Not saying a change wasn't warranted, but it is extremely hard to coach through those things. Knowing more than a handful of plays is helpful, but having the Jimmys and Joes is even more beneficial.

Someone mentioned Snively as the head coach. That guy has one of the longest resumes in the business. His track record shows that he leaves places every year or two.

Seems like there has to be more to this story.

Hornets have now lost their football coach and both boys and girls basketball coaches within the last 6 months or so due to resignations. What is going on with their administration and athletic department? Those are some significant positions to lose in that short amount of time.

Well Monroe has never been a school to go out and open up their pocketbook to get a really good coach. I think they usually wait and see who applies and go from there. Wouldn't surprise me if some coaches already on staff apply. My pick would be Joe Snively but I doubt he'll take it.
On the Middletown Middies looking for a new coach thread, someone mentioned Jalin Marshall as a person who has applied for the Monroe job. I am a believer that someone who gets the head coaching position should have some experience as an OC/DC, but I believe this would be a good fit for Monroe.

Having said that, if Monroe doesn't have an offensive line, they will struggle regardless of the talent you think you have at the "skills' positions.

We just need a coach who will stay more than 4 or 5 years. Someone who's in it for the long haul. Consistently is what we need. A coach who will put a system in place for the team to be competitive in the long run. That's easier said than done tho. The triple option is in my opinion the most boring offense to watch. I miss the days of the spread offense Monroe ran when they were made them really deep playoff runs. Times change along with talent.

Last edited:
Any word on any guys they actually brought in to interview? I heard they interviewed 8 out of nearly 50 applicants. Just haven't heard any names (other than Jalin Marshall's name)

jalin would be an okay fit at monroe. I'm not sure his background best suits being a head coach this early in his career, but we shall see if he gest the job.

Who is on staff that would apply? Their DC? Snively was mentioned as well, not sure what his role was this year.

Any outside guys? Maybe Hurst will jump ship in the swbl.

Any word on any guys they actually brought in to interview? I heard they interviewed 8 out of nearly 50 applicants. Just haven't heard any names (other than Jalin Marshall's name)
I heard that Mark Mueller from Fenwick, Joe Snivly who was an OL Coach at Monroe, J.T. Timming who was an OL Coach at Monroe and Alex Kaiser who was a LB Coach at Monroe all interviewed. Trying to think who the other 4 guys could be.

I heard that Mark Mueller from Fenwick, Joe Snivly who was an OL Coach at Monroe, J.T. Timming who was an OL Coach at Monroe and Alex Kaiser who was a LB Coach at Monroe all interviewed. Trying to think who the other 4 guys could be.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard any confirmed names. I thought 50 applicants was a solid number.

Typically Monroe hires from within if they can. One of the people you mentioned will probably get the job because they are on the current staff, minus Mueller. An outside face would be refreshing in Monroe if it happens.

jalin would be an okay fit at monroe. I'm not sure his background best suits being a head coach this early in his career, but we shall see if he gest the job.

Who is on staff that would apply? Their DC? Snively was mentioned as well, not sure what his role was this year.

Any outside guys? Maybe Hurst will jump ship in the swbl.
Would hate to see Monroe go thru a famous 2-year Snively Stint that he does with every school he goes to.

No official word yet from Monroe's AD or administration, but the head football coach at Monroe, Bob Mullins, has resigned.

Moderators, take down this post if you need an official word. He had a meeting with players yesterday at school.

Good luck to Coach Mullins.

Does Monroe actively search for some good candidates or just wait and see who applies when they post it? Historically, Monroe isn't going out to get anyone....

Best of luck to Monroe's AD/Administration in finding a good replacement for Coach Mullins.

What about Stephen Channel? Dude knows how to win games. Everything else is a little suspect though.

Kaiser is listed as the Head of Football operations. Would he give up such a prestigious title to become head coach?

Typically Monroe hires from within if they can. One of the people you mentioned will probably get the job because they are on the current staff, minus Mueller. An outside face would be refreshing in Monroe if it happens.
Well said. They never seem to open their pocketbook to get a good coach. Sad but that's the way it's always been.

Well said. They never seem to open their pocketbook to get a good coach. Sad but that's the way it's always been.
Not sure where this narrative comes from. Mullins, Faulk, Leach, Stubbs, Meibers, and Krause were all outside hires. Faulk and Stubbs had been at Monroe before but came from another school to Monroe. Monroe seems to go outside the school on hires, have just been unlucky.

Having a good young coach with a future isn’t the worst thing. At the current state, Monroe is a stepping stone job. If a coach only stays for 5 years and wins a lot but goes on to a bigger job it’s a lot better than an average coach that stays forever.

Only reason Stubbs and Leach got the job years ago is they were buddy buddy with that loony toon AD we had. He ran Meibers off and Ward could have gotten the job but they wouldn't let him bring in his own coaches.

Not sure where this narrative comes from. Mullins, Faulk, Leach, Stubbs, Meibers, and Krause were all outside hires. Faulk and Stubbs had been at Monroe before but came from another school to Monroe. Monroe seems to go outside the school on hires, have just been unlucky.

Having a good young coach with a future isn’t the worst thing. At the current state, Monroe is a stepping stone job. If a coach only stays for 5 years and wins a lot but goes on to a bigger job it’s a lot better than an average coach that stays forever.
Faulk was never officially hired at Monroe. They ran into an issue with the teacher's union only being able to hire him at step 10 (state law someone told me) and was going to take a major salary reduction from his job in Mason.

Faulk was never officially hired at Monroe. They ran into an issue with the teacher's union only being able to hire him at step 10 (state law someone told me) and was going to take a major salary reduction from his job in Mason.
He was board approved, but never coached a game. He resigned late in the year after the new superintendent went back on the original offer made to him by the previous superintendent. Stubbs was hired as the interim head coach because he resigned so late in the year. Stubbs coached the next season, then Mullins was hired.

Bring back Rocky Heflin and John Singleton as co-coaches, with Buck Green as RB coach and the Osterman brothers as QB coach. :stirthepot: 🤣

Not a lot they can do from a pay perspective. Supplemental contracts and teacher pay are part of the union contract. Outside of creating a higher paying, dean of students type position like Lakota has done, there is really not much else for them to do. Monroe teachers are already paid pretty well and supplemental contracts are percentages of that pay. Bottom line, Monroe isn't really a destination type job. It's either a stepping stone for a younger, up and coming coach or a final stop on an older coaches career.

Not a lot they can do from a pay perspective. Supplemental contracts and teacher pay are part of the union contract. Outside of creating a higher paying, dean of students type position like Lakota has done, there is really not much else for them to do. Monroe teachers are already paid pretty well and supplemental contracts are percentages of that pay. Bottom line, Monroe isn't really a destination type job. It's either a stepping stone for a younger, up and coming coach or a final stop on an older coaches career.
Agreed. Monroe doesn't place a high standard on sports really. I would think some in the community would frown on a newly created high-paying position for a football coach.

Are there any open teaching positions? This may narrow down who will actually take the job.
I would guess at this point in the school year, outside of upcoming retirements, who knows?

I heard from a pretty reliable source that the second round of interviews in complete and they hope to have someone by the next school board meeting for approval. Not sure when that meeting takes place, but I'm sure it is sometime early in December.