Moeller

What's his 40 time?

And I'd bet Nick Lucking was faster.

Anyway, who is going to be Moeller's D this year? I know Rudy will be down-low, so who else will be stepping up?

Last edited:
on numerous occasions vince out ran everyone on the field when he was given the ball for clearing situations, i did not see any other player in cincy do that, my guess is that he for sure runs a 4.4, possibly even a 4.3

Moelax23 said:
on numerous occasions vince out ran everyone on the field when he was given the ball for clearing situations, i did not see any other player in cincy do that, my guess is that he for sure runs a 4.4, possibly even a 4.3

I remember him now. Moeller used him as a "rabbit" for clearing the ball. He had great acceleration. However, that's what we used Nick Lucking for a lot last year. He was pretty much how we cleared the ball.

Moex, I know some from Lakota West's team. If I remember them correctly, that is...

Cameron Williams (175 lbs) - 4.9
Mark Z. (180 lbs) - 4.8
Tucker Stremming (240 lbs) - 5.1
Grant Hunter (205 lbs) - 4.6
Ryan Osbourne (200 lbs) - 6.1

I'm not sure what James O'Connell runs, but I'd put my money on the 4.8 - 4.9 area. These are the only ones I can recall from players that will be returning this year.

But I've begun to wonder how much these times really translate into lacrosse, as the game is more agility based rather than a straight-sprint.

well to you an idea of vinces speed, when vince was a freshman he was faster than alex urban, but vince is definatly the fastest player in the city possibly even the state this year

xtraman said:
speed helps, but becoming is great lacrosse player is more than just speed.

Well said. However, I should also point out the lack of interest most high school lacrosse coaches have with weight lifting. From what I've seen and heard, most coaches just push off-season stick work. And while that's perfectly fine and something that you should do, I think the weight room should also be a top priority. Think about it: say you want to get a faster shot. Well, just working on your technique will only get you so far. The next step is to strengthen the muscles in your arm to give you more power. But the same thing goes the other way, since you can lift all you want, but if you don't work on technique, you won't accomplish as much you want.

I think Moeller might actually lift in the off-season, and I've never seen one of their workouts before so I can't comment on it, but I think lacrosse players need to get the same mentality in the weight room as football players do.

moex said:
Laxplayer11, good post. Few schools have adopted the off-season regiment which should include weight training, core training, conditioning, and stick work. To be in compliance with OHSLA rules, I understand this would have to be under the direction of the lacrosse team captains or trainers/coaches not affiliated with the lacrosse program. Moeller has, under TK, moved in this direction. Correct me if I am wrong, but I hear Summit has an off-season lacrosse specific core training and conditioning program and Saint Xavier offers weight training. Anyone else?

Yes, it would honestly have to be more of a "Captain's Lifting". I know Lakota West is trying to get something set up with Adrenaline Sports Fitness to get some off-season speed/weight-training going. I think the St. X football team did something very similar to what Adrenaline does with their own strength/speed trainer (who also happened to be friends with Andy Gasper, who partially owns Adrenaline), so I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Fred Craig bring it over to lacrosse

St. X has had an off-season weight training program for the last three years. For the last two years they are using the same training coach as the football team, but the program is designed specifically for lacrosse.

Quick comments:

Vince Catino is white lighting, Moelax23's comment's are true. Every lacrosse team should lift weights, lifting helps muscles heal after the harsh pounding of a lacrosse game. Moeller's defense will struggle with only one returning starter, however, their offense will score enough points to win.

xtraman, I disagree. Lacrosse is speed. Period.

moex said:
Dpole7, I have to agree with xtraman. Speed helps, but it is not the end-all-be-all. No one can out-run the ball. Now if you want to give "speed" a broad definition - speed of shot, quick decisions, fast-pace, fast transitions, efficient personnel changes, fast cuts, clears, and checks, quick hands and reactions - then, yes, lacrosse does become a game of speed. It is much more than just running a fast 40. I think we agree more than we disagree.

Well put.

If anything, I think the 40 time should be used more to measure a midfielder, since they do the longest sprinting on the field.

For defense-men and attack, I'd say the T-Shuttle, since it's all about agility in the dodging realm.

If that kid was #4 last year, i played against him and i have to say, he is the fastest player in any sport that i've played against as of right now i mean dude was unreal

You all have a lot to learn. I suppose some of you, at leastMoelax23, will get the experience to play with real speed. Yes, I mean fast lacrosse players (ie Vince Catino). I could care less about shot speed, or how fast you can throw a check. If you can run by the person...you win. If you are on defense and your man can't beat you because you are faster...you win again.

Anyways, whats Moeller's defense going to look like for this upcoming year?

If you can run by the person...you win. If you are on defense and your man can't beat you because you are faster...you win again.

Anyways, whats Moeller's defense going to look like for this upcoming year?

Not quite. Slides are meant for that. Most midfielders are taught to let their man beat them, just as long as they push them down the side of the field and don't let them go down the middle, that way the slide package will kick in.

moex, i think the point has already been established that the ball moves faster than anyone on the field, but i think what dpole7 was trying to say is that a fast defender would shut down an average speed attackman any day of the week...good ball movement is very good and everything but if you look at strong offenses like UA or Thomas Worthington, they bump the ball around alot but the offense is started by someone with an iso...to score goals on a defense you need fast players to start with a dodge and not just constant ball movement, becasue when ur bumping the ball around the defense doesnt have to move much at all..it is actually very easy to defend. Offenses should involve people cutting and constant movement from every player..ball movement is important but i personally think it can only get you so far

moex, i think the point has already been established that the ball moves faster than anyone on the field, but i think what dpole7 was trying to say is that a fast defender would shut down an average speed attackman any day of the week...good ball movement is very good and everything but if you look at strong offenses like UA or Thomas Worthington, they bump the ball around alot but the offense is started by someone with an iso...to score goals on a defense you need fast players to start with a dodge and not just constant ball movement, becasue when ur bumping the ball around the defense doesnt have to move much at all..it is actually very easy to defend. Offenses should involve people cutting and constant movement from every player..ball movement is important but i personally think it can only get you so far

Finally.

Moelax23, I encourage you to send a tape into Coach A. and to take a visit up to my school next year. If you don't know who Coach A is, PM me.

But fast players, once again, can be shut down by proper timing and coordination of a whole defensive unit.

Nick Lucking is a prime example. Easily one of the fastest players in Ohio, Nick was our "go-to" man, especially for Iso's up top. But the midfielders from Dublin Jerome weren't exceptionally fast, so how did they stop him? They worked together and did their jobs properly. If you want to argue and say that it's mentally fast then, I'll nod my head in approval but with the understanding that so is almost every other sport. But just because you can fly past one man doesn't mean you're good to go.

Last edited:
good ball movement is very good and everything but if you look at strong offenses like UA or Thomas Worthington, they bump the ball around alot but the offense is started by someone with an iso...to score goals on a defense you need fast players to start with a dodge and not just constant ball movement, becasue when ur bumping the ball around the defense doesnt have to move much at all..it is actually very easy to defend.
Very true. "Can't outrun the ball" is only useful information if the defender is chasing the ball. If a team is just chucking it around the perimeter (as so many seem wont to do, for some reason), it's easy for the defense to sit back, catch their breath, and wait for an opportunity to jump somebody's pass route.

At the same time, 1-on-1 dodges aren't much good either unless the rest of the offense is working off the ball to get open and help out. The D will just slide and pick up the dodger. The good attack draws a slide and looks to distribute to whoever got left open by the slide. So off-ball picks and movement is key to any good offense. It's hard work by all six people.

jake hubbard wqill stepup for the moeller defensethis year after starting the first few games last year before tearing his acl.

No, Eric Huster will be the goalie this year. He started playing goalie about 3 weeks before Midwest last year, and then played in the second midwest tourny game. He played the last four games of the year (Mt. Lebo, West, IH, and UA). He is supposed to be really good too. I heard he played extremely well at the 7 vs. 7 at Ohio State in the fall against Thomas Worthington, Kilbourne, Jerome, WRA, and UA.