Moeller gives players $2000 tuition credit to work summer camp

I heard of a moeller basketball player being given a $2000 tuition credit for each week he worked at the moeller summer basketball camp. If this is true, is this legal? Seems like a pretty high reimbursement to me.

IF true, would this even be illegal according to the rules?

Yes, it seems fishy, but illegal? They can give aid to whoever they want once they're a student.

Last edited:
Told to me by MoeDude: Moeller is a piece of garbage school that will break any rule out there just to win.....

I heard of a moeller basketball player being given a $2000 tuition credit for each week he worked at the moeller summer basketball camp. If this is true, is this legal? Seems like a pretty high reimbursement to me.

Wow! I really am getting old! We use to get Free Pizza and Pop for working Camp. Guess Moeller is really not Recruiting,they just Pay way better than the others! Any insight into what Moeller Baseball and Football Camp pays?

I see nothing wrong with this on the operation of a kid assuming some "skin in the game"/"financial responsibility" on his own part to make attending a private school (doesn't matter if its Moeller or whoever) possible. I personally would like to see every private school find themselves in the financial position to allow these sort of opportunities for young men and women who wish to attend the school. If a family in the Cincinnati area can't afford the full freight of whatever Moeller costs, or if a family in the Appalachian areas can pay $5k/year but can't feasibly muster up the remaining $1500/$2000, why can't an opportunity exists for the student or their parents to work the balance off? Is the kid any less deserving to attend said school than the kid of some Proctor and Gamble big wheels just because there's more money in the coffers in the latter family?

Wow! I really am getting old! We use to get Free Pizza and Pop for working Camp. Guess Moeller is really not Recruiting,they just Pay way better than the others! Any insight into what Moeller Baseball and Football Camp pays?
Not sure about Baseball or Football but other sports get service hours for working camps . . . no $$$$

I see nothing wrong with this on the operation of a kid assuming some "skin in the game"/"financial responsibility" on his own part to make attending a private school (doesn't matter if its Moeller or whoever) possible. I personally would like to see every private school find themselves in the financial position to allow these sort of opportunities for young men and women who wish to attend the school. If a family in the Cincinnati area can't afford the full freight of whatever Moeller costs, or if a family in the Appalachian areas can pay $5k/year but can't feasibly muster up the remaining $1500/$2000, why can't an opportunity exists for the student or their parents to work the balance off? Is the kid any less deserving to attend said school than the kid of some Proctor and Gamble big wheels just because there's more money in the coffers in the latter family?
WTF are you talking about? What Appalachian areas? You must not be really familiar with SWO. Appalachia is 2-3 hrs east of Cincinnati.

No rules are broken. Before you post this piece of garbage, get your facts straight.

That’s like parking in handicap space where the logo is painted in the space, but there’s no sign. You’re not technically breaking the law, but you’re still a scumbag bc you know what you’re doing is wrong.

WTF are you talking about? What Appalachian areas? You must not be really familiar with SWO. Appalachia is 2-3 hrs east of Cincinnati.
I’m referring to the Appalachian areas of eastern and southeastern Ohio, as in I personally don’t mind if a school in the Cincy area or an Appalachian area does this.

(Although, FWIW, some definitions of Appalachia include areas as far west as the Cincinnati metro area.)

I’m referring to the Appalachian areas of eastern and southeastern Ohio, as in I personally don’t mind if a school in the Cincy area or an Appalachian area does this.

(Although, FWIW, some definitions of Appalachia include areas as far west as the Cincinnati metro area.)

But there aren’t any families from Appalachia making that commute, so it’s a moot point. And we all know its a program set up just for athletes, some poor kid who can’t dribble a basketball isn’t getting those tuition credits.

But there aren’t any families from Appalachia making that commute, so it’s a moot point. And we all know its a program set up just for athletes, some poor kid who can’t dribble a basketball isn’t getting those tuition credits.
I’m not arguing about families making a 2-3 hr commute. I’m talking about how I would also support schools in those areas (a la Huntington St Joseph, Wheeling Central Cath) providing the same opportunity being discussed in this topic.

I’m not arguing about families making a 2-3 hr commute. I’m talking about how I would also support schools in those areas (a la Huntington St Joseph, Wheeling Central Cath) providing the same opportunity being discussed in this topic.
The scuzzy part is those opportunities would only be for athletes, not even kids who are academically gifted.

I’m torn bc I think a lot of Moe’s success is built on their own success and a lot of the criticism is jealousy. I’m also not stupid enough to believe everything is above board, but if the coaches just want to complain instead of digging up the dirt, I don’t have much sympathy for them.

That’s like parking in handicap space where the logo is painted in the space, but there’s no sign. You’re not technically breaking the law, but you’re still a scumbag bc you know what you’re doing is wrong.

I get what you're saying, but kids get recruited for academic purposes all the time. Who's to say that athletics isn't just as important to one kid as academics is to another?

Just because "society" deems academics more important doesn't mean everyone has to. Honestly, it's yet another way to increase the diversity and inclusion in your school.

I can see why it ruffles feathers, but it's also a new day. I'm sure Moe gives plenty of money to smart kids too, but why should just the smart kids get assistance?

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but kids get recruited for academic purposes all the time. Who's to say that athletics isn't just as important to one kid as academics is to another?

Just because "society" deems academics more important doesn't mean everyone has to. Honestly, it's yet another way to increase the diversity and inclusion in your school.

I can see why it ruffles feathers however, but it's also a new day. I'm sure Moe gives plenty of money to smart kids too, but why should just the smart kids get assistance?
Bc a schools purpose is academics. I don’t mind if a kid is athletically gifted and happens to need financial aid, but giving $ directly for athletic purposes in HS is wrong imo.

It should be, this is still high school.

That's your opinion. There are many that would argue they learned just as much through high school athletics as they did through the high school classroom.

I'm not going to argue what's more important, as that's a personal preference, but there's no doubt that participating in high school athletics is very important to personal growth and maturity. Not all education is in the classroom.

That's your opinion. There are many that would argue they learned just as much through high school athletics as they did through the high school classroom.

I'm not going to argue what's more important, as that's a personal preference, but there's no doubt that participating in high school athletics is very important to personal growth and maturity. Not all education is in the classroom.

And they’d be wrong. Im not saying a kid needs to be an A student, but you’ve got to handle your academic work first. If you’ve ever seen Last Chance U, you can see why. Even in college, you have to at least be functional.

And they’d be wrong. Im not saying a kid needs to be an A student, but you’ve got to handle your academic work first. If you’ve ever seen Last Chance U, you can see why. Even in college, you have to at least be functional.

Who is saying they aren't functional students? Just because there's an increased focus on athletics doesn't mean there's no focus on academics. They still have to abide by the academic eligibility rules.

It increases exposure to your school. It gets more types of kids interested instead of the "typical" kid. It opens up doors for them. It allows them to see themselves being successful there.

For someone looking for ways to attract more non-traditional kids, this is certainly a way to do it. And completely legal.

If for some reasons it's illegal, they should stop, or someone should make them stop. But if it's not, why would they stop? And what gives people the right to be angry about it?