Moeller Class of 2026

MTO80

It seems like Moeller may be having quite a few from last years freshman class leave or at least not coming back to play. This may be common or may be new in todays ever changing basketball world. I believe last year they had a total of 22 freshman in the program . I believe there may only be 11 of those back out to play when the season starts. Its a mixed bag of at least 3 actually moving away from Cincy to some transferring or just some choosing to specialize in a different sport but remaining at Moeller. I know they always just rebuild but its a little concerning as their Top freshman team last year only had one loss ( at St. X ) and Second team I believe was undefeated. Its tough after coming out of your freshman year but I do know a couple of transfers were kids counting where they stood on depth chart and decided to transfer to smaller schools.

Depends on which of the 22 are gone. If it was the back-end of talent, probably not a big deal. If it's the best players not playing, that's probably a problem.

It seems like Moeller may be having quite a few from last years freshman class leave or at least not coming back to play. This may be common or may be new in todays ever changing basketball world. I believe last year they had a total of 22 freshman in the program . I believe there may only be 11 of those back out to play when the season starts. Its a mixed bag of at least 3 actually moving away from Cincy to some transferring or just some choosing to specialize in a different sport but remaining at Moeller. I know they always just rebuild but its a little concerning as their Top freshman team last year only had one loss ( at St. X ) and Second team I believe was undefeated. Its tough after coming out of your freshman year but I do know a couple of transfers were kids counting where they stood on depth chart and decided to transfer to smaller schools.
How I read your post: Moeller's freshman class was loaded last season and some of the kids at the bottom of the depth chart decided to transfer or play other sports. Take out the loaded part and that happens every year in every sport at every school in America. Unless it is kids in the top 7 of the class, I'm sure the coaches are not concerned at all.

I was not taking a shot at Moeller or anything along those lines. I guess in response to your comment one who left was on varsity last year and another did start every game for the top freshman team . I support Moeller because I have a family member playing there. My comparison would be that this year they had 15 sophomores on JV and 3 sophomores full time on varsity. I don't know that they will have 18 sophomores in the program this year. That is all I was saying. Also I do not blame kids who left if they thought they were not going to be in Top 7 moving forward. Lets face it, if you love basketball go where you can play because not very many play beyond high school anyway.

A lot of schools lose half (or more) of their freshmen. A lot of schools will have a big freshman team.....but won't normally have 22 sophomores on a JV team plus any new freshmen or juniors that may also be on JV

Moeller has had 2 Freshman Basketball Teams for yrs therefore sure they have experienced transfers, kids stop playing etc. ... I expect Moeller Basketball to continue as it always has under Kremer and Staff. Seems to me that the author of this thread doesn’t understand how Moeller Basketball operates and trying to stir up the pot a little!

Not trying to stir the pot at all . I hope Moeller has continued success and it just seemed to me that was a lot of kids to lose in a year . If that is common and they recover good for them. i guess time will tell and we will see how the senior class of 2026 turns out for them and we can discuss it then.

A few things here to think about. The average freshman class at the beginning of freshman year for most large schools I'd say is no more than 15, There can only be 15 players on 1 team dressing at a time, There can only be 5 players on the court at once, On senior night I'd say on average most large schools have 5-6 kids. Moeller is well ahead of the curve already by still retaining 11 of those guys in the class of 2026 (although they're still yet to have tryouts) and I'm sure most of the ones that are still there are those that they see the most potential in.
The biggest point that I think is yet to be mentioned is that just like in college athletics as soon as they get you to sign they're trying to find someone else that is going to take your spot. The same thing I'm sure has happened as Moeller will try to assemble the class of 2027 & 2028.

A few things here to think about. The average freshman class at the beginning of freshman year for most large schools I'd say is no more than 15, There can only be 15 players on 1 team dressing at a time, There can only be 5 players on the court at once, On senior night I'd say on average most large schools have 5-6 kids. Moeller is well ahead of the curve already by still retaining 11 of those guys in the class of 2026 (although they're still yet to have tryouts) and I'm sure most of the ones that are still there are those that they see the most potential in.
The biggest point that I think is yet to be mentioned is that just like in college athletics as soon as they get you to sign they're trying to find someone else that is going to take your spot. The same thing I'm sure has happened as Moeller will try to assemble the class of 2027 & 2028.
you can dress as many kids as you like.

I did not see Soph. TE Copper McCutchen on Moe FB roster. He already has a FB offer from Kentucky. He's also an outstanding hoopster, and probably will be a high D1 college player if he choses basketball. Him not being on the FB roster leads me to believe he has made his choice?

I can recall when GMC schools fielded two freshmen teams, a sophomores-only team and a junior varsity team. Nature has a way of culling the herd, so to speak.
Beavercreek, Centerville, and maybe Fairmont also used to have this. Not sure how many, if any, of them still have sophomore/JVB teams.

I strongly agree with the bolded. It's been a long time since I've been involved at a "big" school, but having two freshman teams and a JVB is just an extension of having two teams at each junior high grade level IMO. You can argue that there are some developmental benefits for late bloomers, etc., but you're largely just letting the lower end of those junior high groups stay involved as freshmen and sophomores.

At a big public school like those I named, the GMC schools, and some privates like Moeller, if you have 20-25 freshmen participating there's probably 2/3rds you could have quit after freshman year and it's not going to hurt the varsity or JV(A) the next year.

I did not see Soph. TE Copper McCutchen on Moe FB roster. He already has a FB offer from Kentucky. He's also an outstanding hoopster, and probably will be a high D1 college player if he choses basketball. Him not being on the FB roster leads me to believe he has made his choice?
Cooper absolutely is playing for Moeller. Not sure why he is not on the roster but yes he is playing football. He will continue to get power 5 offers in football and when said and done will have several D1’s in basketball as well I am sure.

Cooper absolutely is playing for Moeller. Not sure why he is not on the roster but yes he is playing football. He will continue to get power 5 offers in football and when said and done will have several D1’s in basketball as well I am sure.

Thanks. Not sure why he's not on roster. Happy to hear he is playing FB, kid is talented.

Beavercreek, Centerville, and maybe Fairmont also used to have this. Not sure how many, if any, of them still have sophomore/JVB teams.

I strongly agree with the bolded. It's been a long time since I've been involved at a "big" school, but having two freshman teams and a JVB is just an extension of having two teams at each junior high grade level IMO. You can argue that there are some developmental benefits for late bloomers, etc., but you're largely just letting the lower end of those junior high groups stay involved as freshmen and sophomores.

At a big public school like those I named, the GMC schools, and some privates like Moeller, if you have 20-25 freshmen participating there's probably 2/3rds you could have quit after freshman year and it's not going to hurt the varsity or JV(A) the next year.
I saw it as a way of keeping as many players as possible involved in the program as long as reasonably possible. As you indicated there may be a late bloomer or two between the 9th and 10th grades. Did they cut down because of money or that all personnel decisions were essentially made after the freshmen seasons were over?

Last edited:
I was not taking a shot at Moeller or anything along those lines. I guess in response to your comment one who left was on varsity last year and another did start every game for the top freshman team . I support Moeller because I have a family member playing there. My comparison would be that this year they had 15 sophomores on JV and 3 sophomores full time on varsity. I don't know that they will have 18 sophomores in the program this year. That is all I was saying. Also I do not blame kids who left if they thought they were not going to be in Top 7 moving forward. Lets face it, if you love basketball go where you can play because not very many play beyond high school anyway.
Simple and plain

I saw it as a way of keeping as many players as possible involved in the program as long as reasonably possible. As you indicated there may be a late bloomer or two between the 9th and 10th grades. Did they cut down because of money or that all personnel decisions were essentially made after the freshmen seasons were over?
At most places like this I'd think the staff has a very good idea of who's going the continue to move up the food chain no later than the spring/summer after the freshman season.

I'd imagine there's a near zero chance of a kid that gets stuck on a sophomore/JVB team continuing to advance in a program, and that most of those kids realize that.

Yes I believe they had one last Saturday which I was not able to attend. I think they scrimmage Fairmont Saturday morning.

I went to Moeller jv scrimmage today . They played Fairmont who to be fair is not a good team. They played 5 quarters and won 38-20. I started this thread back in August and took some heat over my thoughts on Moeller Class of 26. I was told " I dont understand Moeller Basketball, " I was trying to stir the pot ", and "I just dont understand how big school programs work". So here is what I do know, last year they had 22 kids on 2 freshman teams this year there are 8 players left . Only 3 of those players were starters last year. I also know that players who were probably 6 through 11 last year have all transferred or chose to pursue another sport. There is in my opinion only 4 of the remaining boys who will be able to compete in the GCL at a varsity level and at least 2 of those will most likely not be playing after this year. I am not blaming anyone just stating what is there. My prediction is after the last 3 years of JV having a record of probably 60-3 that this year they will be around .500. The teams who have taking 40 point beatings from Moe the last few years will enjoy this season. I know people are going to jump all over me on this but I will check back at the end of the season and if I am wrong then I will gladly admit it.

I went to Moeller jv scrimmage today . They played Fairmont who to be fair is not a good team. They played 5 quarters and won 38-20. I started this thread back in August and took some heat over my thoughts on Moeller Class of 26. I was told " I dont understand Moeller Basketball, " I was trying to stir the pot ", and "I just dont understand how big school programs work". So here is what I do know, last year they had 22 kids on 2 freshman teams this year there are 8 players left . Only 3 of those players were starters last year. I also know that players who were probably 6 through 11 last year have all transferred or chose to pursue another sport. There is in my opinion only 4 of the remaining boys who will be able to compete in the GCL at a varsity level and at least 2 of those will most likely not be playing after this year. I am not blaming anyone just stating what is there. My prediction is after the last 3 years of JV having a record of probably 60-3 that this year they will be around .500. The teams who have taking 40 point beatings from Moe the last few years will enjoy this season. I know people are going to jump all over me on this but I will check back at the end of the season and if I am wrong then I will gladly admit it.
Moeller will be fine at the varsity level still over the next few years. It's crazy how some classes that are supposed to be "incredible" winning leagues and 20 games a year in jr. high & 9th/JV ball turn out to never even be over .500 their senior years. At the end of the day the Moeller program will be just fine. I don't know if you're right or wrong but don't look too much into this. There are really talented kids coming behind them I'm sure. Basketball has always been a sport where "high end talent" reigns supreme over "depth".

I am sure Moe will be fine, I agree with that. It is probably just a case of one class not working out and i am sure they can be replaced but my thoughts are that the 2 year span of 2026 and 2027 may not be quite what Moe fans are used to. I think this years varsity will be fine although they are dealing with some early season injuries.

Yes.. Fairmont doesn’t recruit players so that’s why they are not good?? What kind of statement is that.. it was a scrimmage and half of Fairmonts team just ended their football season 3 weeks ago

Just making a statement as to what I saw. As I said they played 5 quarters and they scored 20 total points . You take that how you want maybe they had a bad day. Sorry if that was offensive to you.

Such pride in JV record. It's great but nobody cares. Just shows that the depth is there. Don't need large classes as someone stated. 3 good players a year gives you 9 deep on the varsity which most schools and coaches would love to have.