Mike DeWine 2pm Briefing Thursday Aug. 13

Parents and schools get to decide whether or not to play football, but they are not allowed to decide who gets to attend?

Not a big deal - I'm just happy there will probably be games - but a little odd.

Parents and schools get to decide whether or not to play football, but they are not allowed to decide who gets to attend?

Not a big deal - I'm just happy there will probably be games - but a little odd.
what do you expect nowadays...... the WHAT IF approach.....

Who? Yes.

How many? No.

I am SO CONFIDENT that he will not cancel the football season today that I am prepared to state that if Dictator Dewine DOES cancel football, I wont be back on yappi entertaining the masses with my wit, intelligence and general awesomeness until HS football returns.
Bye.

I can only speak of my own community but the team is currently shut down due to several COVID positives. Made sure they announced that the quarantine would be over by their first scheduled game on Aug 28. Here's the thing, if they do the 2 weeks that would put their first practice back on Aug 24. They didn't make it to the contact portion of two-a-days. What's the protocol to return? Can a team just basically show up game week, get a few practices and hit the field after a two week break?

Not arguing, serious question

I can only speak of my own community but the team is currently shut down due to several COVID positives. Made sure they announced that the quarantine would be over by their first scheduled game on Aug 28. Here's the thing, if they do the 2 weeks that would put their first practice back on Aug 24. They didn't make it to the contact portion of two-a-days. What's the protocol to return? Can a team just basically show up game week, get a few practices and hit the field after a two week break?

Not arguing, serious question
I would think liability with a very serious injury (don’t even want to say it, but you know what I mean) would be a parents, school and community nightmare where kids are not used to game type of contact with very limited contact practice. Bad recipe all around.

I would think liability with a very serious injury (don’t even want to say it, but you know what I mean) would be a parents, school and community nightmare where kids are not used to game type of contact with very limited contact practice. Bad recipe all around.

I agree. And that seems to be what a lot of people are failing to look at. Or just choosing to ignore. If the protocol leads to entire teams shutting down for weeks then this will never work. You can't just take 2 weeks off, no athletic meetings/lifting/practice...how do you resume?

I agree. And that seems to be what a lot of people are failing to look at. Or just choosing to ignore. If the protocol leads to entire teams shutting down for weeks then this will never work. You can't just take 2 weeks off, no athletic meetings/lifting/practice...how do you resume?
Clearly they have to cut out shutting down entire programs and instead keep sick kids out.

Clearly they have to cut out shutting down entire programs and instead keep sick kids out.
I agree, but I don't even think health departments would the whole team down after contact tracing, I would guess schools will be the ones who do that.

That is my only fear going into this that, if you have one positive or a kid awaiting results, the schools themselves shut their teams down...

now... if they do that but don't in turn quarantine kids in the classes with these possible positive or positive tested players, then there is a problem... IMO

I think its time to just play put the protocols in place to make it as safe as possible because it will never be entirely safe and get things going.

We shall see, and I was disappointed to see more health departments calling for sports to be shut down, but heck, we are already playing many of them now... cats outta the bag, let the contact sports play and see if we can do it.

So is DeWine lifting testing requirements that were in place? Is that what he means up to schools? Local school district in my area already said they won’t play if testing is required.

So is DeWine lifting testing requirements that were in place? Is that what he means up to schools? Local school district in my area already said they won’t play if testing is required.
OHSAA already said this is impractical. DeWine also said testing was not intended for high school sports.

But hasn't changed it in two weeks. Would've been pretty easy to remove that requirement. For whatever reason that hasn't been done.

They aren't going to remove that until they get their new protocols ready. They probably mostly just have to dot the i's and cross the t's by now.

From Mike Dyer...
OHSAA interim executive director Bob Goldring told member schools in a memo tonight that conversations continue with the governor’s office and he believes "our plans to move forward with the start of our seasons are in concert."

This will be a bumpy road no doubt just like in the MLB, but you got to keep moving forward. Good luck to all the teams. I for one am thankful in Ohio the kids will be getting their chance.

Who goes get tested when you're not even sick?? My goodness, our commie overlords want everyone miserable and scared.
Yes, but people should stop running to go get these tests if your not really sick. It is not mandatory for high school football. I don't think anyway

Yes, but people should stop running to go get these tests if your not really sick. It is not mandatory for high school football. I don't think anyway

I agree unless you know you were around an infected person inside for an extended amount of time. Then you should get checked and quarantine if you have it so you don't spread it to someone.

I hope like heck soccer and football are going to play. I’m just a little worried. Seems like it should be done by now.

Can we stop using the OHSAA as sources for what will happen? They've quickly become the most unreliable group in this whole thing. If they were weathermen they'd be fired for how inaccurate they are with their inside information. What a joke

Doesn't mean you'll get to go. We don't know the details as of yet. My guess, family first. Each player will get so many tickets. Then they will need to evaluate season ticket holders. If PBTS can social distance ALL family and season ticket holders, then I yes, season ticket holders. If PBTS can't social distance, then a decision will need to be made as to whom gets to go out of the Season ticket holders. Longest tenured season ticket holders first then so forth. Maybe they will do a lottery. Those that don't get to go get their season tickets honored for next year.
Not to concerned about it I keep in contact with the ticket office and with pbts being over 16000 there will be 0947 of seating in sure of it. Now I feel bad for the for the smaller schools.

Poor protocol. Quarantine the kid. And his family. That’s what districts across the state are doing. I think your district needs to modernize its protocol with the rest of the state. But, that’s what they chose so I guess they err on the side of caution. Have said it all along. These kids need to scrimmage. If we are moving forward with a start time that is on time, then this has been the biggest S show I’ve ever seen. Should have opened up scrimmages for this weekend.

Regardless. We are back!