Midwest Meet of Champions

psycho_dad

What are options for the kids with OATCC dropping the ball on Midwest Meet of Champions? (So I have been told) I have a kid I was really hoping could participate. MMOC was the only meet I had the kids look into, and was shocked when It was not an option for them yesterday.

What is the status of this Meet in 2023? I see the OATCCC site has the same link from last year, under the "Seasons" heading (https://www.oatccc.com/Outdoor-Track-Field/Midwest-Meet/). Yet, when seeking more specific information & going to the OATCCC "Contacts page", TBD is who is listed for the Midwest Meet of Champions. If the OATCCC wants/ed to end its connection to the meet, then they should just make a statement. The lack of information/transparacy in '22 & now '23 is greatly disappointing. The MMOC was a great meet & great tradition. I just spoke w/a distance squad crew member who spoke so highly of his experience...and that he made lifetime friends. Clayton Murphy & Sam Prakel were 2 members of that Ohio boys squad...

Agreed. MMOC was begun in 1974. A few years ago, I started one of my sideline projects in documenting the yearly results of the MMOC with the belief that it would all be gone someday and nothing would be remembered

That is a sad probability. As national meets took more prominence, Team-Ohio had remarkable success securing top Ohio talent. The OATCCC always provided a great experience, costing parents NOTHING...and athletes usually left w/great memories that they'd share w/upcoming athletes. The intensity between Indiana, Michigan, & Ohio was real...& good. On that weekend, fierce rivals who battled one another for years embraced being Team-Ohio. So many great performances. I always knew that some day the meet (or our participation in it) might end...but not in the inglorious fashion that has occurred.

The OATCCC website continues to display information about the Midwest Meet, but after checking the Michigan & Indiana Coaches Association sites...the meet is, in essence, dead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520-081511.png
    Screenshot_20230520-081511.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230520-082329.png
    Screenshot_20230520-082329.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 24
I am ok with this.
I was able to run at this meet as an athlete and then go on to coach at this meet for some years. And now having athletes attend this meet, all of those experiences were wonderful.

But as we move into the future. I do believe that this meet and the XC version of this meet have both run out of time.

Change is never easy, but I don't believe anyone sees this as a surprise. Too many factors and variables.

Sadly, you're probably correct...
Both the MMOC & the XC version cost our athletes nothing...the OATCCC provided everything. No one was making money off of the athletes @ either of these meets. Awards were not "over the top"...no "All-American" proclamations, little hyperbole. Instead, athletes who had been fierce competitors became intense teammates, running for Team-Ohio. When the tales of past meets...and the titanic battles w/Team Michigan (& Indiana, to a lesser extent) were told on Friday night when the team finally was all present...a transformation would occur. Suddenly, winning for Ohio mattered more than competing for themselves. On the track, having athletes chanting O-H-I-O & waving the Ohio flag during intense racing allowed athletes to realize that being a TEAM is very important...if only for a weekend. Those experiences don't occur at national meets.

I have taken many an athlete to both XC & Track national meets and had a marvelous time. Sadly, those meets are becoming more exclusive based on finances. Travel expenses, hotel bills, entry fees...often those w/o access to solid financial means get left behind. The MMOC (& XC version) allowed all to participate...regardless of financial status. It allowed athletes of all divisions to be part of Team-Ohio...regardless of school size. It allowed parents to see their seniors compete one more time, on a true all-star caliber squad...for their home state, relatively close to home.

The proliferation of national meets and the opportunities to claim national titles seems to be the trend...mainly because there is a lot of money to be made by the companies hosting such meets. The appeal to ego is strong and a sign of the changing times. So, while it is no surprise, it is still disappointing. Sometimes it's good to realize/reflect that old virtues are still virtues. We need to make sure to reinforce some of those virtues and not fall prey to the marketing/glamour & hyperbole of marketers.
RIP MMOC

Agreed. MMOC was begun in 1974. A few years ago, I started one of my sideline projects in documenting the yearly results of the MMOC with the belief that it would all be gone someday and nothing would be remembered
As a follow-up to this thread, I discovered a whole new traunch of data of Midwest Meet of Champions results from the past. Stuff I'd never seen before, but man is it going to fill in a lot of gaps and aid to my documenting of what appears to be (for now) the final participation of Ohio athletes.

As a follow-up to this thread, I discovered a whole new traunch of data of Midwest Meet of Champions results from the past. Stuff I'd never seen before, but man is it going to fill in a lot of gaps and aid to my documenting of what appears to be (for now) the final participation of Ohio athletes.
That's saying a lot lol. Always exciting to find "new" stuff. Can't wait to see the end result.

That's saying a lot lol. Always exciting to find "new" stuff. Can't wait to see the end result.
Here's a link to the archive at Michtrack.org:

If you click on the links to year on that page, you'll find further links to TONS of meet results, meet programs, etc., that have been collected by a host of people that've contributed to Michigan t&f & xc history. Some of those include the links to Midwest Meet of Champions and Mansfield Relays. Great archive of information. I'll be incorporating pertinent information into my own databases and compilations. Kudos to any archivists like them.

Here's a link to the archive at Michtrack.org:

If you click on the links to year on that page, you'll find further links to TONS of meet results, meet programs, etc., that have been collected by a host of people that've contributed to Michigan t&f & xc history. Some of those include the links to Midwest Meet of Champions and Mansfield Relays. Great archive of information. I'll be incorporating pertinent information into my own databases and compilations. Kudos to any archivists like them.
A website like this would be absolutely amazing