Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
Dave who? Radiodave? Yeah that guy's DEF tapped into the goings on of FR from Rockford, IL.
EDIT: Okay, so apparently he did email the superintendent. So there is validity.

Here's the thing. I don't mind if we add wrestling, it's whatever to me. I know there was a Grieshop kid that wrestled under the FR banner, but traveled and practiced with Coldwater. Heck, here's some deep FR trivia for you. Norman "Buzz" Hull Jr. walked on to the Maimi (OH) University wrestling team (I want to say in the 1950s) having never wrestled before and winding up being conference runner up his Junior season.

But here's my issue... Fort Recovery has a participation problem. We consistently have the lowest participation in most sports that involve having numbers to win matches/meets/games amongst the rest of the MAC. It's not even like we're the smallest school by enrollment. As a previous post laid out, we're smack-dab in the middle. But you look at our Football, Track, Swim, and CC (mostly boys in that case) teams, they're dwarfed by some of the smaller (by enrollment) conference counterparts. Heck looking at this seasons track and field photos from the Daily Standard, we're the only school that had our boys and girls teams take their photo together to look like they had the same amount as the other schools separate teams. And the thing is, we typically always seem to have one, sometimes two, individual athlete(s) from the last 3 sports mentioned as some of the highest ranked in their respective game within the conference on a yearly basis from the last 15 or so years. But typically always fail to come home with the team titles due to not having enough kids to score more points.
The year we won the boys track and field title we had a really solid core, but still had to overcome lack of bodies compared to Minster, Marion and Versailles. Our swim team, though typically small, has always seemed to be high quality over high quantity. There was a year not too long ago the girls won EVERY SINGLE EVENT in the unofficial MAC-Meet and still only got 3rd because Versailles and New Bremen had more numbers to take those 2nd 3rd and 4th place points. And I've already vented my frustrations with my schools football program, so I won't bother making this text wall a text fortress.
If Minster and New Bremen can regularly and historically turn out the same number of participants as Coldwater and Versailles, there's no reason we can't either. But we don't. And I don't know how to fix that.

Going back to what spurred this post in the first place.
I'd love to see us excel in a sport. And not just have 1 or 2 really good athletes like I mentioned before, but I mean like RUN THE TABLE. If that, for some reason, is wrestling. Fine. Cool. Neat. But I know the faults and I fear this will not only be another sport that under preforms as a team, but also takes away from the other winter varsity sports.
That's the beauty of wrestling. It's an individual & team sport. Not sure how Ohio does things, but it could work out. They may struggle to win any duals, but if you have just enough individuals, you could win some events. My example would be little Southern Wells a few years ago. They almost pulled out an upset if not for 2 bad calls at individual semi state. They brought 4 really tough kids and almost won the team trophy at individual semi state while other schools had brought more kids. Being close to Jay County, Ft Recovery could be really good.

Dave who? Radiodave? Yeah that guy's DEF tapped into the goings on of FR from Rockford, IL.
EDIT: Okay, so apparently he did email the superintendent. So there is validity.

Here's the thing. I don't mind if we add wrestling, it's whatever to me. I know there was a Grieshop kid that wrestled under the FR banner, but traveled and practiced with Coldwater. Heck, here's some deep FR trivia for you. Norman "Buzz" Hull Jr. walked on to the Maimi (OH) University wrestling team (I want to say in the 1950s) having never wrestled before and winding up being conference runner up his Junior season.

But here's my issue... Fort Recovery has a participation problem. We consistently have the lowest participation in most sports that involve having numbers to win matches/meets/games amongst the rest of the MAC. It's not even like we're the smallest school by enrollment. As a previous post laid out, we're smack-dab in the middle. But you look at our Football, Track, Swim, and CC (mostly boys in that case) teams, they're dwarfed by some of the smaller (by enrollment) conference counterparts. Heck looking at this seasons track and field photos from the Daily Standard, we're the only school that had our boys and girls teams take their photo together to look like they had the same amount as the other schools separate teams. And the thing is, we typically always seem to have one, sometimes two, individual athlete(s) from the last 3 sports mentioned as some of the highest ranked in their respective game within the conference on a yearly basis from the last 15 or so years. But typically always fail to come home with the team titles due to not having enough kids to score more points.
The year we won the boys track and field title we had a really solid core, but still had to overcome lack of bodies compared to Minster, Marion and Versailles. Our swim team, though typically small, has always seemed to be high quality over high quantity. There was a year not too long ago the girls won EVERY SINGLE EVENT in the unofficial MAC-Meet and still only got 3rd because Versailles and New Bremen had more numbers to take those 2nd 3rd and 4th place points. And I've already vented my frustrations with my schools football program, so I won't bother making this text wall a text fortress.
If Minster and New Bremen can regularly and historically turn out the same number of participants as Coldwater and Versailles, there's no reason we can't either. But we don't. And I don't know how to fix that.

Going back to what spurred this post in the first place.
I'd love to see us excel in a sport. And not just have 1 or 2 really good athletes like I mentioned before, but I mean like RUN THE TABLE. If that, for some reason, is wrestling. Fine. Cool. Neat. But I know the faults and I fear this will not only be another sport that under preforms as a team, but also takes away from the other winter varsity sports.
Too close to the Indiana line:

big thumbs up to the coverage of HS sports in this area by the Standard!!!.... very few local newspapers do it anymore....

i
Give the consumers what they want and cannot get any place else.

Helps that the sports teams and doing well but with the MAC projected to be way, way down next year their bottom line may suffer

Give the consumers what they want and cannot get any place else.

Helps that the sports teams and doing well but with the MAC projected to be way, way down next year their bottom line may suffer
Does that mean Marion Local will have no trouble running the table and breaking DSJ's record? Or is MSML expected to be as abysmal as the rest of you layabouts?

I seen another thread yesterday where it looks like the steiners maybe d7 again
Looking highly likely, unless there's a larger CB# than I know about. I'd put that number at 2 or 3 maybe? So most likely will be lower than the DVI cutoff again.

I have been studying the numbers.

Compared to last year's cutoff line, Marion Local should be safely in D7.

However, looking closely at the number, I am not so sure the cutoff line won't be quite a bit lower this year. Right now I would say Marion Local is D6, but it depends on how much the cutoff line moves after the competitive balance numbers get rolled in. Will enough teams pass ML in total enrollment+CB? I think so, but it is not certain one way or the other.

I seen another thread yesterday where it looks like the steiners maybe d7 again
I know in that thread, they were using current numbers (w/o CB) and cutoffs from the fall. Will those cutoff numbers fluctuate some? I have no idea how much they do from counting period to counting period.

I have been studying the numbers.

Compared to last year's cutoff line, Marion Local should be safely in D7.

However, looking closely at the number, I am not so sure the cutoff line won't be quite a bit lower this year. Right now I would say Marion Local is D6, but it depends on how much the cutoff line moves after the competitive balance numbers get rolled in. Will enough teams pass ML in total enrollment+CB? I think so, but it is not certain one way or the other.
I sure hope so!

Franklin at least is mostly interstate, Linton In. not as much. Is the Miners game an afternoon or evening game? Wish OHSAA and the H.S.'s would have stuck with Arbiter for scheduling.
I believe it is still an evening game. My guess is the players will probably have to leave school early that day

Now that the playoffs have been expanded, why don't we eliminate 1 team from our league. Anna would be the obvious choice. They really do not fit in with the rest of the league anyway. Then the Flyers only have 1 non league game to find. I know some people that would love to see Anna gone.