Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
I'd disagree with you on this. You throw in CB (which I assume most of the MAC; specifically ML in this situation, dont have a ton), and I think Marion Local will still be VII (Cutoff was 114 last this past season). Basing these numbers off last year's breakdown

Versailles- V
Anna- VI
Coldwater- VI
Parkway- VI
Everyone else VII

Also, where did you find the numbers OHSAA? Just curious to look at other schools from other conferences/divisions that were bubble
What was the cutoff for D VI last year?

What was the cutoff for D VI last year?
V 205-158
VI 157-115
VII 114 down

Seems like VI has a very small window compared to other divisions
IV 273-206
III 384-274
II 619-385

Wasn't part of the argument for DI was that some schools were twice the size of others. That's almost the case in DII now. None of this has to do withe V,VI,VII and the MAC but just pointing it out

Last edited:
I'd disagree with you on this. You throw in CB (which I assume most of the MAC; specifically ML in this situation, dont have a ton), and I think Marion Local will still be VII (Cutoff was 114 last this past season). Basing these numbers off last year's breakdown

Versailles- V
Anna- VI
Coldwater- VI
Parkway- VI
Everyone else VII

Also, where did you find the numbers OHSAA? Just curious to look at other schools from other conferences/divisions that were bubble
the Steiners that I have talked with , they seem to think they will be Div 6 this coming season ( most of them had a few beers in them at the time, but so did i, so it could be barstool thinking too)

the Steiners that I have talked with , they seem to think they will be Div 6 this coming season ( most of them had a few beers in them at the time, but so did i, so it could be barstool thinking too)
I've talked to a few as well that think 7 (Not trying to be argumentative just what I've heard). It seems like they're going to be the smallest 6 or biggest 7

Seems like VI has a very small window compared to other divisions
That’s because there’s so many schools right around that range. It’s not a set enrollment that decides the divisions. They keep divisions 2-7 as equal as possible no matter where the enrollment numbers fall

Levy fails 71% - 29%
Not intimate with the details on this obviously, just genuinely curious. How does a school continue to function with a 400k deficit after failing a levy? I assume in the short term they take on some debt, but eventually a levy must be passed or major issue arise i.e. sports cut, teachers let go, and/or major facility expenditure cuts. Also I am not an accountant so sorry if I am really glaring over something here.

Not intimate with the details on this obviously, just genuinely curious. How does a school continue to function with a 400k deficit after failing a levy? I assume in the short term they take on some debt, but eventually a levy must be passed or major issue arise i.e. sports cut, teachers let go, and/or major facility expenditure cuts. Also I am not an accountant so sorry if I am really glaring over something here.
I don't think the costs In the red are as bad as they say they are. My problem is with the wording of the levy. Redraft it and put on in November and it might do better

I think as expected the biggest expenditures of schools are Employee Wages, and Employee Benefits. These two have accounted for '21 -81.5% '22 - 84.5% and '23 - 83.7% of expenditures.

I guess it is really hard to determine what is causing the deficit without a macro analysis of all the schools in Ohio to see where CW is either overspending, or not making as much as others. Just as a quick sanity check I looked at St Henry's numbers in the same time span and their percentages of expenditure align with Coldwater's.

I guess overall I am just surprised that there was as much backlash as there was over a 1.75 Mill levy. That is a $1.75 per $1000 made per year, or against the average household income in Coldwater it would be $133.67 per year. I understand this is not an insignificant amount of money, more just surprised by how much it failed.
Well we just passed a permanent improvement levy within the last year or so and in my opinion it was just too much to ask. Also I don't think they did a good enough job explaining why we needed it and I could sense their desperation. That was off putting. Side note I'm trying to pay for a wedding and taxing myself more when I don't have that much more disposable income as it is, isn't in my best interest. That's why I voted no

I think as expected the biggest expenditures of schools are Employee Wages, and Employee Benefits. These two have accounted for '21 -81.5% '22 - 84.5% and '23 - 83.7% of expenditures.

I guess it is really hard to determine what is causing the deficit without a macro analysis of all the schools in Ohio to see where CW is either overspending, or not making as much as others. Just as a quick sanity check I looked at St Henry's numbers in the same time span and their percentages of expenditure align with Coldwater's.

I guess overall I am just surprised that there was as much backlash as there was over a 1.75 Mill levy. That is a $1.75 per $1000 made per year, or against the average household income in Coldwater it would be $133.67 per year. I understand this is not an insignificant amount of money, more just surprised by how much it failed.
This was an earned income levy that was replacing an income levy. Income levy also hits people getting social security and disability, while earned income does not hit those categories. The tax burden was going to be on the working folks so that number is much higher than $133.67-ish.

It was a 1.75% earned income tax, thus costing $17.50 per $1,000 of income. It would have made CW one of the most heavily taxed (based on income taxes) districts in the state.

It was a 1.75% earned income tax, thus costing $17.50 per $1,000 of income. It would have made CW one of the most heavily taxed (based on income taxes) districts in the state.
Sorry you are correct. I took StateChamps word from an earlier post that it was a 1.75Mill levy replacing a .5Mill levy.

Edit: I deleted the original post since it is a moot point because of the distinction between percent and Mill levies.

One of the last games played at Mendon Union. Thought some might like to get a look at the old gym again.

Per Dave, Ft Recovery is possibly starting a wrestling club. Hope to see it happen. A sport the MAC could do exceptionally well in. Plus closer schools to compete against.

Per Dave, Ft Recovery is possibly starting a wrestling club. Hope to see it happen. A sport the MAC could do exceptionally well in. Plus closer schools to compete against.
Dave who? Radiodave? Yeah that guy's DEF tapped into the goings on of FR from Rockford, IL.
EDIT: Okay, so apparently he did email the superintendent. So there is validity.

Here's the thing. I don't mind if we add wrestling, it's whatever to me. I know there was a Grieshop kid that wrestled under the FR banner, but traveled and practiced with Coldwater. Heck, here's some deep FR trivia for you. Norman "Buzz" Hull Jr. walked on to the Maimi (OH) University wrestling team (I want to say in the 1950s) having never wrestled before and winding up being conference runner up his Junior season.

But here's my issue... Fort Recovery has a participation problem. We consistently have the lowest participation in most sports that involve having numbers to win matches/meets/games amongst the rest of the MAC. It's not even like we're the smallest school by enrollment. As a previous post laid out, we're smack-dab in the middle. But you look at our Football, Track, Swim, and CC (mostly boys in that case) teams, they're dwarfed by some of the smaller (by enrollment) conference counterparts. Heck looking at this seasons track and field photos from the Daily Standard, we're the only school that had our boys and girls teams take their photo together to look like they had the same amount as the other schools separate teams. And the thing is, we typically always seem to have one, sometimes two, individual athlete(s) from the last 3 sports mentioned as some of the highest ranked in their respective game within the conference on a yearly basis from the last 15 or so years. But typically always fail to come home with the team titles due to not having enough kids to score more points.
The year we won the boys track and field title we had a really solid core, but still had to overcome lack of bodies compared to Minster, Marion and Versailles. Our swim team, though typically small, has always seemed to be high quality over high quantity. There was a year not too long ago the girls won EVERY SINGLE EVENT in the unofficial MAC-Meet and still only got 3rd because Versailles and New Bremen had more numbers to take those 2nd 3rd and 4th place points. And I've already vented my frustrations with my schools football program, so I won't bother making this text wall a text fortress.
If Minster and New Bremen can regularly and historically turn out the same number of participants as Coldwater and Versailles, there's no reason we can't either. But we don't. And I don't know how to fix that.

Going back to what spurred this post in the first place.
I'd love to see us excel in a sport. And not just have 1 or 2 really good athletes like I mentioned before, but I mean like RUN THE TABLE. If that, for some reason, is wrestling. Fine. Cool. Neat. But I know the faults and I fear this will not only be another sport that under preforms as a team, but also takes away from the other winter varsity sports.

Last edited: