Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
Week 1
Marion Local @ Linton-Stockton (IN)
Screenshot_20240313_105019_Chrome.jpg

Oof

You serious Clark? Does anyone know much about them other than their 10-2 record? Tough schedule like the MAC or powder puff?
Long drive. They are solid in Indiana. Not sure the schedule but think Marion Local can & will beat them. Is early in the season though with that long trip. Heard the Miners like to roll coal with their Diesels.

Anyone know if it is their week 1 as well? There have been years that Indiana and Ohia do not start the same week.

Doesn't mean much but Calpreps had a theoretical 2023 matchup of these two going 49-3 Marion Local.

This is a question to any MAC fans/followers.

How is the quality of high school football just west of MAC country in Eastern Indiana? Is it respectable, drops off quite a bit, average? I assume the high school basketball is respectable.

Figured as much. I just recall a few years ago CW playing Kokomo. It was only a 1 year deal mostly because Indiana was starting a week earlier the next year.
With Ohio pushing up the season with the extended playoffs, I no longer suspect Indiana will start 1 week earlier than Ohio. Yes, a couple years Ohio & Indiana would start the same week, but it was rare before 2022.

How is the quality of high school football just west of MAC country in Eastern Indiana? Is it respectable, drops off quite a bit, average? I assume the high school basketball is respectable.
Can not answer the football part, but yes, basketball in Indiana is still thriving. I will say Indiana basketball is not as physical as Ohio, and officials call more technical fouls, at least when they officiate an Ohio team vs Indiana.

I saw a technical foul called in a game in Ft Wayne a few years back on 1) taking the Lord's name in vain and 2) coach giving the official a disrespectful look. Two different officials in different games by the way. I do not think that likely happens in Ohio, at least not in Dayton area.

When it comes to the schools that directly neighbor the MAC (relatively comparable sized schools from ACAC and TEC for example) the quality of play drops off quite a bit. But maybe that's just a MAC bias. NWC and WOAC schools might be closer to their level, but I'd still would regularly pick a NWC or WOAC team over a majority of ACAC TEC matchups. Then again, Adams Central is always highly ranked in their small school classifications and usually Union City beats Mississinawa Valley more often than not in their cross-town rivalry matchups.
When you look at the bigger schools along the on both sides (Jay County, Celina, Van Wert, Bellmont, Richmond, Trotwood, Muncie Central, Lima Senior) I'd give it more often to the Ohio Schools over Indiana as well.

Can not answer the football part, but yes, basketball in Indiana is still thriving. I will say Indiana basketball is not as physical as Ohio, and officials call more technical fouls, at least when they officiate an Ohio team vs Indiana.

I saw a technical foul called in a game in Ft Wayne a few years back on 1) taking the Lord's name in vain and 2) coach giving the official a disrespectful look. Two different officials in different games by the way. I do not think that likely happens in Ohio, at least not in Dayton area.
Yup. This is very true.
Jay County has always complained about the refs and physical play when they come to Fort Recovery in their annual rivalry game. It's not an FR/JC game in Ohio without coaches and parents whining about little Dylon getting bumped for a rebound.

We also play South Adams in basketball yearly too (and in all sports for that matter) but they typically don't complain though. But it's not nearly the rivalry that we have with JC... so that might have something to do with it.

When it comes to the schools that directly neighbor the MAC (relatively comparable sized schools from ACAC and TEC for example) the quality of play drops off quite a bit. But maybe that's just a MAC bias. NWC and WOAC schools might be closer to their level, but I'd still would regularly pick a NWC or WOAC team over a majority of ACAC TEC matchups. Then again, Adams Central is always highly ranked in their small school classifications and usually Union City beats Mississinawa Valley more often than not in their cross-town rivalry matchups.
When you look at the bigger schools along the on both sides (Jay County, Celina, Van Wert, Bellmont, Richmond, Trotwood, Muncie Central, Lima Senior) I'd give it more often to the Ohio Schools over Indiana as well.

Yup. This is very true.
Jay County has always complained about the refs and physical play when they come to Fort Recovery in their annual rivalry game. It's not an FR/JC game in Ohio without coaches and parents whining about little Dylon getting bumped for a rebound.

We also play South Adams in basketball yearly too (and in all sports for that matter) but they typically don't complain though. But it's not nearly the rivalry that we have with JC... so that might have something to do with it.
Jay County coming back on the football schedule anytime soon?

Yup. This is very true.

Spot on! Though my AC Jets will not be as good as the last 3 years which probably would have been mid pack at best in the MAC. They will be much worse after the next 2 years. Only thing I'd tweak is some of the mid to lower NWC schools wouldn't be as strong as you suggested from what I've observed. Not sure on the WOAC but South Adams in an average year smacked one of the historically better teams a couple years back. Ansonia maybe?

I'll add the basketball for Jay County lately and all 3 Adams County teams annually is not great. Surprisingly AC & Bellmont had a great year or 2 in the regular season but no post season success as of late. Blackhawk Christian doesn't help that either.

Spot on! Though my AC Jets will not be as good as the last 3 years which probably would have been mid pack at best in the MAC. They will be much worse after the next 2 years. Only thing I'd tweak is some of the mid to lower NWC schools wouldn't be as strong as you suggested from what I've observed. Not sure on the WOAC but South Adams in an average year smacked one of the historically better teams a couple years back. Ansonia maybe?

I'll add the basketball for Jay County lately and all 3 Adams County teams annually is not great. Surprisingly AC & Bellmont had a great year or 2 in the regular season but no post season success as of late. Blackhawk Christian doesn't help that either.
South Adams played Arcanum in 2022 and won 35-0. Arcanum is usuallly .500 except in 2021 where they were 7-4 and 2019 they were 7-3. 2022 and 2023 they were 3-7.