Midwest Athletic Conference 2020

Are you wanting to see fewer MAC teams in the playoffs?

Case in point is New Bremen went to the Regional Finals with the help of 2 non conference wins. Had you replaced that Week 2 win over Ansonia with Marion Local, a MAC team they did not play in the regular season, New Bremen would have missed the playoffs and ironically, Ansonia (who got trounced by New Bremen) would have made the playoffs in their spot.
common sense......

common sense......
Common sense is not so common. Some on this board want the MAC to take the easy way out with scheduling. Some teams have a few scheduling problems and have long roadies. Unfortunate, but it opens our kids up to different parts of the state, some times different demographics and a good coaching staff can make it a team building event.

We should NOT do away with the 2 OOC because it's the easy thing to do for some. We need to keep both of them for the betterment of the WHOLE conference in giving them every opportunity to experience the playoffs.

Don't take this the wrong way FR and NB folks, but if we stayed with the 1 OOC game after Anna joined do we see the resurgance of those programs? Minster was down and out for a bit, and it could be said it helped them as well.

Doing the right thing often times is not the easy way

Here's one I could see for the flyers:

Kenton Ridge (Springfield) is looking for a Week #2 away game for Varsity Football during the 2020 season and home for the 2021 season. We are Division IV. We are looking for a 2 or 4 year contract. Please contact Athletic Director Kris Spriggs at 937-390-0012 or email at: krisspriggs@nelsd.org

Common sense is not so common. Some on this board want the MAC to take the easy way out with scheduling. Some teams have a few scheduling problems and have long roadies. Unfortunate, but it opens our kids up to different parts of the state, some times different demographics and a good coaching staff can make it a team building event.

We should NOT do away with the 2 OOC because it's the easy thing to do for some. We need to keep both of them for the betterment of the WHOLE conference in giving them every opportunity to experience the playoffs.

Don't take this the wrong way FR and NB folks, but if we stayed with the 1 OOC game after Anna joined do we see the resurgance of those programs? Minster was down and out for a bit, and it could be said it helped them as well.

Doing the right thing often times is not the easy way
Goodness. It sounds like pulling teeth. EVERY small school conference plays 2-3 OOC teams. Period! For most teams, 2 games is not a problem to find. For those that chose to hammer the sisters of the poor, there is a problem scheduling. Lol. No one is scared of playing a D7 powerhouse or the MAC. But in the same breath, no one wants a school that doesn’t know how to turn it off!! Ask ML. They had the Lima schools on lock down for OOC. They flexed with 50-60 point wins and schools walked. It is what it is. Good God. It’s like being in denial.

FYI. My knights used to play coldwater in preseason because MR Keller brought us together. We were an upstart. Scrimmages were hilarious. You woulda thought coldwater won state on every tackle. We sucked and we would get trampled. They would celebrate making tackles on our kids that didn’t know how to play. Sometimes humility is a solid medicine. We still laugh to this day at some of the excitement by players and fans at beating the snot out of an upstart program.

Yes, cknights, ML chose to ‘flex’ against those teams, lol. If only they had beaten them by 35-40 they’d still be happy to play the Flyers. It was silly to let those freshmen and sophomores score on dive plays. You, sir, are a treasure!

Goodness. It sounds like pulling teeth. EVERY small school conference plays 2-3 OOC teams. Period! For most teams, 2 games is not a problem to find. For those that chose to hammer the sisters of the poor, there is a problem scheduling. Lol. No one is scared of playing a D7 powerhouse or the MAC. But in the same breath, no one wants a school that doesn’t know how to turn it off!! Ask ML. They had the Lima schools on lock down for OOC. They flexed with 50-60 point wins and schools walked. It is what it is. Good God. It’s like being in denial.

FYI. My knights used to play coldwater in preseason because MR Keller brought us together. We were an upstart. Scrimmages were hilarious. You woulda thought coldwater won state on every tackle. We sucked and we would get trampled. They would celebrate making tackles on our kids that didn’t know how to play. Sometimes humility is a solid medicine. We still laugh to this day at some of the excitement by players and fans at beating the snot out of an upstart program.
You don't know how those games went. Goodwin has and always will run the ball more than he passes. After getting up by 4 scores, I hardly have been on a team of his that has passed or seen a team since pass more than 1 time a drive to sustain it to make sure the other team can't get back in it. If you can't stop the run, that is your own team's fault and sadly Elida, Shawnee, Chaminade Juliene (DIII regional finalist) could not stop anything. That's not Marion's fault or trying to flex if you can't stop a lead play right up the gut. That's just poor play on their part. Just ask shadyside what happens if you dont stop the run. You get beat by 70 by DSJ in the finals. Marion has gone to other states and found teams like Bealsville who was supposed to be closing and the same thing happens. If you don't want blown out, stop the run. Also, celebrating a tackle wasnt Coldwater disrespecting you, congratulating your teammates and getting excited brings a swagger and a team confidence that needs brought into the season, it could have been you guys or some team that only fields 11 total guys, the same thing was going to happen.

bottom line.. no one wants to play Marion Local because they’re too good. no one has anything to gain by playing them. i’m not knocking ML. this is a compliment. when they went down and handed it to CJ, that was the moment i knew the flyers were more dominant than i ever thought.

Yes, cknights, ML chose to ‘flex’ against those teams, lol. If only they had beaten them by 35-40 they’d still be happy to play the Flyers. It was silly to let those freshmen and sophomores score on dive plays. You, sir, are a treasure!
Yep. Here comes the boo birds because I’m telling people how it is. 15 years ago a win by 64 is like winning by 84 in today’s offensive minded game. I have nothing but respect for ML and Goodwin. But I also didn’t get flexed on by them. Believe me. We were an upstart in the early 2000s. There were certain schools that let off the gas peddle at half. And certain schools that would keep rolling into the 4th.

They knew. We knew. Everyone was aware of who was flexing and who was showing sportsmanship because were were the sisters of the poor. Lol. It doesn’t take real genius to realize that the OOC games that ML was winning by 50-60 was running it up. People want to whine about not having teams to play. I would say that ML had a lot of teams to play but turned around and hammered them into the ground and lost them as an opponent.

I’m not on here to bash ML. I’m giving an opinion that should be taken into consideration instead of saying “poor me, we are too good to get an opponent.” Lol.

Yep. Here comes the boo birds because I’m telling people how it is. 15 years ago a win by 64 is like winning by 84 in today’s offensive minded game. I have nothing but respect for ML and Goodwin. But I also didn’t get flexed on by them. Believe me. We were an upstart in the early 2000s. There were certain schools that let off the gas peddle at half. And certain schools that would keep rolling into the 4th.

They knew. We knew. Everyone was aware of who was flexing and who was showing sportsmanship because were were the sisters of the poor. Lol. It doesn’t take real genius to realize that the OOC games that ML was winning by 50-60 was running it up. People want to whine about not having teams to play. I would say that ML had a lot of teams to play but turned around and hammered them into the ground and lost them as an opponent.

I’m not on here to bash ML. I’m giving an opinion that should be taken into consideration instead of saying “poor me, we are too good to get an opponent.” Lol.
I can understand your opinion, but when your JV and freshman are the one's laying it on by only running the ball, that's not running up the score, that's just the other team not playing right. Purposely playing it easy and allowing your running back to get nailed, since the other team isn't going to let up is a good way of getting someone injured. I definitely don't whine about not finding games, Marion is a victim of their own success. But a better option than telling your JV to stop playing and risking injury is to stop the run, plain and simple.

ML could have probably won some of those games by 80 if they wanted to. I remember DSJ beating Minster 76-0 in a first round playoff game back when they were in there title run and they definitely were not running up the score. You also have to remember that those games were before the Mercy Rule. That rule has kept alot of 40 point wins from being 50, 60 point wins.

ML could have probably won some of those games by 80 if they wanted to. I remember DSJ beating Minster 76-0 in a first round playoff game back when they were in there title run and they definitely were not running up the score. You also have to remember that those games were before the Mercy Rule. That rule has kept alot of 40 point wins from being 50, 60 point wins.

there are two valid arguments here. there is a difference between just playing football and running it up (i’ve seen plenty of both) but then again you can’t blame the other team for not playing right. some team just, plain and simple, suck. it’s football and it happens. if the freshmen are scoring on the other varsity by running the ball then so be it. if you’re throwing bombs with your varsity on the 4th then that’s running it up. the best thing to do is run the clock down every play running the ball. as a coach i would not tell my boys to not give effort.

Minster also had a number of starters suspended for that game. DSJ has played Minster two games previously and won 59-16.

I was at the DSJ 76-0 playoff win over Minster, and DSJ was definitely not running up the score.

Minster had most of their seniors suspended, and the remaining linemen got destroyed by the DSJ first, second and third strings.

Folks, an outsider is trying to drive a wedge in the MAC family with this DSJ argument.

Don't let it happen.

Stand United in all things for the league. Support our brethren against each and every OOC game, respect all opponents and fear none, fight like hell during league play and commence together once again to back our brothers lucky enough to make the playoffs.

Folks, an outsider is trying to drive a wedge in the MAC family with this DSJ argument.

Don't let it happen.

Stand United in all things for the league. Support our brethren against each and every OOC game, respect all opponents and fear none, fight like hell during league play and commence together once again to back our brothers lucky enough to make the playoffs.
If you are referring to me. I'm no outsider driving a wedge. I said they were definitely not running up the score. I was not being sarcastic. My point was that sometimes scores get out of hand, even when actually trying to keep the score down. They could have won that game by 100 if they wanted.

Absolutely correct. Marion Local is not a program that runs up the score.

Absolutely correct. Marion Local is not a program that runs up the score.
First thing your lawyer tells you....deny deny deny!

Lol. Listen. 64 point wins is ALWAYS running up the score. I was not there. But, if the JV wasn't in by the 3rd quarter and they weren't running dives, then it was running up the score. Especially in 2008 or whenever that was. 12 years ago, the only teams throwing the ball in this area consistently were Ada and Kenton. A 64 point win is hammer down and throttled high!

Now, to go back to the point. Anyone that thinks finding OOC games is hard because the entire state of Ohio is scared of ML or other MAC teams is just absurd. Even me who has claimed on this board for quite some time that the MAC is the GOLD STANDARD of football can tell you, without a doubt and from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (see my post about scrimmaging Coldwater) that running up the score is REAL. I watched it through my own eyes to my own team who was admittedly a sister of the poor! Lol.

Glad it got some good banter going. But, please go back and look at some scores and think about it this year when your Varsity is still playing into the 4th quarter.

Lol, you act like the forward pass was invented in the past decade. Some of ML’s most prolific passing teams were in the early 2000’s. Anywho, as someone else mentioned, it’s actually harder to completely blow teams out nowadays with the running clock.

Speaking of which, was Crestview flexing two years ago when it beat Bluffton 53-0 or Jefferson 47-0 WITH a running clock? :LOL:

First thing your lawyer tells you....deny deny deny!

Lol. Listen. 64 point wins is ALWAYS running up the score. I was not there. But, if the JV wasn't in by the 3rd quarter and they weren't running dives, then it was running up the score. Especially in 2008 or whenever that was. 12 years ago, the only teams throwing the ball in this area consistently were Ada and Kenton. A 64 point win is hammer down and throttled high!

Now, to go back to the point. Anyone that thinks finding OOC games is hard because the entire state of Ohio is scared of ML or other MAC teams is just absurd. Even me who has claimed on this board for quite some time that the MAC is the GOLD STANDARD of football can tell you, without a doubt and from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (see my post about scrimmaging Coldwater) that running up the score is REAL. I watched it through my own eyes to my own team who was admittedly a sister of the poor! Lol.

Glad it got some good banter going. But, please go back and look at some scores and think about it this year when your Varsity is still playing into the 4th quarter.

Ada and Kenton the only teams to throw the football consistently 12 years ago ? LOL ! Coldwater threw the football more back than, than the Cavs do now. ML had a 2000 yd. passer in 2000 and 2002. Crestview since 2012 has scored over 60 pts. 6 times in a game ML 3 times, ever here the saying about people living in glass houses.

There have been numerous times Marion Local could have easily dropped 70 plus points on some teams. Go back the past 20 years and find one example of Goodwin allowing 70 plus points to be scored on the opponent. Don't think you'll find any. And yes it's possible to get 60 points without running up the score. If you were at the MSML games, you'd realize that.

I have generally enjoyed reading posts from cknights but I couldn't disagree more with him on ML running up the score. Unless he has gone to these Marion games over the years, it is completely unfair for him to make this statement. I've seen Marion go full-bore for an entire 1st half in a contest against an over-matched opponent but never in the 2nd half. This feels very much like sour grapes on cknight's part. In all the years of reading JJHuddle and Yappi, I can't ever remember any fans of any team making this remark about ML. If a school 3 or 4 divisions larger than ML can't stop their JV and freshman from scoring, I'm not sure what you want them to do. Take 3 knees each series and punt? I have personally talked to CJ's head coach after the 2nd of their 2 losses to ML and he had nothing but praise and admiration for them.