Micaela DEGENERO (Granville HS - Colorado) NCAA mile CHAMPION

I was quite impressed with Ms. Degenero's "slam-the-door-shut" move with 1/4 mile to go! She took her HS coach's advise well. Well done!!!

Nice! Here is a link to the race.

She has learned a thing or two since high school though as running almost all of the race in the back would not have been tolerated by her H.S. coach. She looked very comfortable back there though and has always had a massive kick.

She said herself that she was comfortable in the back. The field decided not to start the real running until the 3/4 mark when she took off. Serves the field right to leave it to a sprinter. Reminds me of so many men's races where they all think they're the goat of the sprint. That's the ONLY reason Centrowitz won gold in 2016. Never, EVER, leave the race to a sprinter. They'll win 19 times out of 20.

Incredible. Ohio sure turns ‘em out!
All of the Ohio women that went to Colorado for post-graduate work have done well.

In addition to DeGenero winning the indoor mile championship, Abby Nichols was the PAC-12 champ in XC, won pre-nats, and was 8th at the NCAA XC championship. She was also 2nd in the 5 & 10 at the PAC-12 meet last year. I don't believe that Nichols had indoor eligibility this year and she ran unattached. I am pretty sure that she still has another year of outdoor eligibility. India Johnson had a decent indoor season this past year, was 4th at the PAC-12 XC championship, and was top 10 at pre-nats. All three of them were instrumental in Colorado's success last XC season and the team's 4th place finish at the NCAA championship.

All of the Ohio women that went to Colorado for post-graduate work have done well.

In addition to DeGenero winning the indoor mile championship, Abby Nichols was the PAC-12 champ in XC, won pre-nats, and was 8th at the NCAA XC championship. She was also 2nd in the 5 & 10 at the PAC-12 meet last year. I don't believe that Nichols had indoor eligibility this year and she ran unattached. I am pretty sure that she still has another year of outdoor eligibility. India Johnson had a decent indoor season this past year, was 4th at the PAC-12 XC championship, and was top 10 at pre-nats. All three of them were instrumental in Colorado's success last XC season and the team's 4th place finish at the NCAA championship.
The Buffaloes have an excellent mid-long distance history.

So close to doing it again in the 1500 final. I wonder about the two moves from back to mid pack early in the race.

Micaela threw down a 61-second final 400 but this time Vissa was ready for it.

I was hoping that Abby Nichols could have taken the 5000 crown. At the top of her game she would have challenged for it but she seemed a bit flat and tired. Wetmore feels that perhaps she raced too much this spring.

DeGenero (Granville '16 & U of Michigan), Abby Nichols (Alter '16 & Ohio State), and India Johson (Davidson '17 & Michigan State) all had nice careers as graduate students at Colorado and were mentored well by Jenny Barringer. Johnson may possibly have remaining eligibility but DeGenero and Nichols have wrapped up their collegiate careers. Both could run professionally for a bit if they choose to but will have nice "real world" careers if they don't. Colorado has already reloaded with grad transfers for next year.