Mentor Football 2024

Man one win for Heights over Mentor and you talk as if it will be a regular thing. Might get a reality check like your basketball team did 2 days ago
What are you talking about? I asked why does the division matter and in my opinion Joes and Walsh would be favored over Mentor. I don’t have a basketball team, my son plays football and runs track. Good day my friend.

What are you talking about? I asked why does the division matter and in my opinion Joes and Walsh would be favored over Mentor. I don’t have a basketball team, my son plays football and runs track. Good day my friend.
You've been very quick to try to rip Mentor at every turn this off season . Especially in our team thread which is really a community thread and not for bitter outsiders

We get it you don't like us. Should probably make a Cleveland Hts thread to talk about their awesome program that's never won a region

I have been wanting to see Mentor and Lake play football again. It doesn’t make a ton of football sense for either, but it would be a fun atmosphere. I would be surprised if they make it work, but I would like to see it.

I have been wanting to see Mentor and Lake play football again. It doesn’t make a ton of football sense for either, but it would be a fun atmosphere. I would be surprised if they make it work, but I would like to see it.
Right. If Riverside turns down Mentor and plays Lake Catholic, we will know where the priority was for both. I could easily see that happening

Riverside clearly is using Mentor as a last resort type or this would have been done by now

You've been very quick to try to rip Mentor at every turn this off season . Especially in our team thread which is really a community thread and not for bitter outsiders

We get it you don't like us. Should probably make a Cleveland Hts thread to talk about their awesome program that's never won a region
Where’s the “rip”? And why don’t I like Mentor? Relax bud…

The ball is in Mentor’s court. If it doesn’t happen, it’s because Gray and/or Cassella don’t want it to happen.

The ball is in Mentor’s court. If it doesn’t happen, it’s because Gray and/or Cassella don’t want it to happen.
There are football reasons for Mentor to say no. The 2024 Cardinals have state championship aspirations. And not just the “usual” aspirations, but ones built on reality of having a very talented offense return. Will scheduling Lake Catholic help them meet their goals? Or is there a better opponent (Massillon maybe?) to help them do that.

Riverside or Lake Catholic would be a great local game that should bring a lot of fans in early September. But then again, Massillon would bring as many.

Bullcrap. Your fellow LC fan even said they talked to riverside too. This type of talk is a way for message board guys to attempt to discredit Mentor because LC fans hate them

.... So when LC schedules Riverside, the dumb fans of their fanbase can say Mentor said no. Which of course will have zero proof.

So let's get real here . Mentor has played St Ignatius since 2005 every year. They aren't scared of fricken Lake Catholic .

This is the same St Ignatius that LC will duck in to play once and awhile when LC presumes themselves to be up and Iggy to be down. Then they don't continue after that.

Kind of the same way Riverside scheduled Mentor when up with 2 classes and now aren't doing so when Mentor wants to renew..

So LC and Riverside both selectively schedule bigger schools in this way. Them playing each other would be logical in that regard. Same mindset.

In reality, it's LC who ducked Mentor in basketball and chose to do so right before the season started !!

Last edited:
There are football reasons for Mentor to say no. The 2024 Cardinals have state championship aspirations. And not just the “usual” aspirations, but ones built on reality of having a very talented offense return. Will scheduling Lake Catholic help them meet their goals? Or is there a better opponent (Massillon maybe?) to help them do that.

Riverside or Lake Catholic would be a great local game that should bring a lot of fans in early September. But then again, Massillon would bring as many.
Uh for the record, Lake is loaded next year. Don’t get me wrong, Mentor is set for a great season too and would be a big favorite in this potential matchup but Lake is going to be really good. Gibbons has the program on firm footing and has the athletes to make a deep run; he also has a great QB. Gibbons has his kids strutting the Cougar roar again.
As I said, Mentor would win this matchup and likely by two to three scores but it certainly would not be a game which would disrupt Mentors pursuits of a run next year.

Massillon would certainly be a great challenge. Likely the number one team in the state next year regardless of division with what they return (at least offensively). Then again, might a St. Edward team replacing 6 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters be a better option?

Massillon would certainly be a great challenge. Likely the number one team in the state next year regardless of division with what they return (at least offensively). Then again, might a St. Edward team replacing 6 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters be a better option?
We went over this already

If Lake is really in the mix, I would adjust my preferred Week 3 opponents to put them at the top. If all of these teams came knocking (I know they aren't), here is my order of personal preference:

1. Lake Catholic: The two haven't played since the 90's. It is time. Lake Catholic returns some significant talent from an offense that was even more potent in the passing game than Mentor. The Cougars will be better than Riverside and provide just as much, if not more, of a gate at Mentor. It would be a wild atmosphere. Sign me up.

2. Riverside
3. Massillon
4. McKinley (although they want a home game in 2024)
5. VASJ
6. Wayne
7. St Eds

So if options 1-6 don't work out, I would consider St Eds over a Canadian team, out of state, etc.

Ml k
If Lake is really in the mix, I would adjust my preferred Week 3 opponents to put them at the top. If all of these teams came knocking (I know they aren't), here is my order of personal preference:

1. Lake Catholic: The two haven't played since the 90's. It is time. Lake Catholic returns some significant talent from an offense that was even more potent in the passing game than Mentor. The Cougars will be better than Riverside and provide just as much, if not more, of a gate at Mentor. It would be a wild atmosphere. Sign me up.

2. Riverside
3. Massillon
5. VASJ
6. Wayne
7. St Eds

So if options 1-6 don't work out, I would consider St Eds over a Canadian team, out of state, etc.
Might as well throw Kirtland in the mix at this point. ...

2. Riverside
3. Massillon
5. VASJ
6. Wayne
7. St Eds

It would be such a fun matchup for the community. Didn't come in here trying to antagonize anyone (though it appears I've struck a nerve with MentorGrad2002); I was just excited to share the news that a Mentor/LC game may be happening.

Triv would have taken this game in a heartbeat. Come on Gray, just say yes!

It would be such a fun matchup for the community. Didn't come in here trying to antagonize anyone (though it appears I've struck a nerve with MentorGrad2002); I was just excited to share the news that a Mentor/LC game may be happening.

Triv would have taken this game in a heartbeat. Come on Gray, just say yes!
Don't give yourself too much credit. You didn't strike any nerve. You aren't significant enough to do so.

I'm just posting logical points to combat the bs that Mentor would in any way duck fricken Lake Catholic football.

My last post sums up how LC just ducked Mentor in a revenue sport and how if anything , it's their history along with riverside's that shows the selective scheduling

So yeah I won't believe you on Mentor ducking LC if Riverside chooses to play LC after not answering Mentor on a renewal for months

I'm a Lake fan that doesn't hate mentor - I have no reason to. If Mentor decides not to play LC I won't be on here saying they "ducked" Lake. They probably think they don't have anything to gain by playing lake - which is fair. I don't give a bleep if they play or not.

Not sure how one could provide proof that Lake reached out? I guess I'll have to start bugging the LC offices for recordings.

I'm a Lake fan that doesn't hate mentor - I have no reason to. If Mentor decides not to play LC I won't be on here saying they "ducked" Lake. They probably think they don't have anything to gain by playing lake - which is fair. I don't give a bleep if they play or not.

Not sure how one could provide proof that Lake reached out? I guess I'll have to start bugging the LC offices for recordings.
So if LC who you guys said reached out to Riverside...decides to play Riverside..

Why is it that you say Mentor turned down LC in that case ? Why cant it be Riverside and LC choosing each other to play ?

Mentor has been waiting on Riverside for months. They aren't renewing it so far. LC is the one who dropped Mentor right before the season started in a revenue sport ....maybe the AD doesn't want to deal with them after that

So if LC who you guys said reached out to Riverside...decides to play Riverside..

Why is it that you say Mentor turned down LC in that case ? Why cant it be Riverside and LC choosing each other to play ?

Mentor has been waiting on Riverside for months. They aren't renewing it so far. LC is the one who dropped Mentor right before the season started in a revenue sport ....maybe the AD doesn't want to deal with them after that
That's totally fair to have that opinion. Again, not a Mentor hater and I think you'd be surprised to find that many LC people don't hate the Mentor. Yes, Lake reached out to both. So It seems like whoever says yes first Lake will play.

That's totally fair to have that opinion. Again, not a Mentor hater and I think you'd be surprised to find that many LC people don't hate the Mentor. Yes, Lake reached out to both. So It seems like whoever says yes first Lake will play.
If it’s as simple as that, Mentor should say yes today. Especially if their first option (Riverside) remains non-committal.

I know it’s hard to believe, but this is all true and did just transpire the last 2 weeks.

There’s no benefit in playing Erie, they are awful. However, I was surprised that Marty reached out to Mentor. Like I said on another thread, Lake isn’t scheduling Walsh Jesuit anymore. Mentor would win by 21+ next season against Lake. They just have too many weapons and way more depth.

I could be wrong, but if I had to guess, Marty is only committing to a 1 year deal. So I’m sure if something was to happen, I’m assuming Mentor and Riverside would want a 2 year deal which is the way it should be IMO.

Lastly, if Mentor says yes, this game will be happening week 3 next season. Hard to believe and to be honest, I never thought there would ever be a chance that these 2 schools played in football again.

Let's go over it again

To be the Champ, you must beat the champs. Now, kike OSU to Michigan
In order to win the region, Mentor will have to beat St Ed’s in the playoffs. There is no guarantee that playing them in the regular season increases the chance of beating the Eagles in November. I hope Mentor gets a chance to prove it in the playoffs. But no reason to rush to playing them twice when there are other options.

You have made your point. Move on

I think everybody is right. A mentor Eds game would be nice. I used to live behind Lakewood HS. Cant remember the year but one time Mentor won by 1 in the best week 1 game Ive ever seen . Love it when local powers play each other. And to be the best you do have to beat the best. All of that is true but you are not beating St Eds twice in the same calendar year. I do sympathize with their scheduling woes as well but still Mentor has to do whats best for Mentor.

My dad use to teach at Heights and they truly think theyre ready to be top dawg next year. Stephens building something special, a lot of work being put in on Lee Rd this offseason. I know that for a fact. Will be another great race in the GCC. I would advise both to stay away from the evil empire as long as possible and send scouts to every one of their games lol

I think everybody is right. A mentor Eds game would be nice. I used to live behind Lakewood HS. Cant remember the year but one time Mentor won by 1 in the best week 1 game Ive ever seen . Love it when local powers play each other. And to be the best you do have to beat the best. All of that is true but you are not beating St Eds twice in the same calendar year. I do sympathize with their scheduling woes as well but still Mentor has to do whats best for Mentor.

My dad use to teach at Heights and they truly think theyre ready to be top dawg next year. Stephens building something special, a lot of work being put in on Lee Rd this offseason. I know that for a fact. Will be another great race in the GCC. I would advise both to stay away from the evil empire as long as possible and send scouts to every one of their games lol

You’re probably thinking of 2019, and Mentor DID go on to beat us twice that year (also by one point in a regional final thriller). I’ll go to my grave thinking that 2019 Ed’s team was the best in the state, but Luke Floriea would not let it be. One-man wrecking crew that kid.