Mentor Football 2022

Try to go find another game and move on!!!
cat slap GIF by Rover.com
It's back again. Trolls.

There is another thread and on there a poster is making claims of some offensive personnel changes. Is anyone here aware of any changes at QB, wide receivers, back?

There is another thread and on there a poster is making claims of some offensive personnel changes. Is anyone here aware of any changes at QB, wide receivers, back?
No idea. But I imagine there will be a true QB competition for the first time in a bit. More often than not, it seems the team has the QB picture pretty clear. This season is different. I think you go back to 2010 with Trubisky and Colton Wallace or even 2013 with Conner Krizancic and Matt Eiswerth to find some uncertainty in the starting job during August. However, the latter was more about injury than a true competition.

I have little doubt that Scotty Fox will be a better QB than Snow...eventually. Will that be this year? That remains to be seen.. If Coach Gray thinks moving Snow to WR and playing Fox at QB will make Mentor a better team in 2022, I'm sure he has already given that some thought. Mentor definitely needs to fill a couple openings at WR. I will be surprised if Waite isn't the #1 option at RB.

Does anyone know a projected Depth Chart for the Cardinals in 22'-23'? I know it's early to be asking.

QB - Snow/Fox
RB - Waite/Burkholder (FB)
WR - Stapleton
WR - Jares
WR - ???
WR - ??? (I don't know if Fox/Snow can play WR while the other is QB)
LT - McClure
LG - ??? (I saw another post that O'Neil, Hines, Jonke were backups last year).
C - ???
RG - ???
RT - ???

I'd like to see Burkholder play some RB/FB (he had a few carries last year) and maybe put Vernon in to block as a TE (Triv did that with Potter a few times when he was a Senior). Hopefully the o-line has been working hard in the weight room, and I hope there's some underclassmen talent at WR.

DE - Vernon
NT - Lawson
DE - ???
OLB - Geudling
ILB - Orosz
ILB - Burkholder
OLB - ???
SS - Pohto
FS - Shelly
CB - ???
CB - ???

I'd like to see Vernon play DT. Are there any underclassmen D-linemen coming up? And I haven't heard anything about who is playing CB. If anyone can fill in the blanks I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I’d like to see Burkholder stay at Linebacker and save his knees!

With the success of the tight end position at the college and NFL level, I would like to see how much of a game changer it could be at Mentor. It helps to have an athletic 6’3 or so kid that can slide into that position. Recruit a basketball player if needed. I know a kid like Ian Iopollo is a basketball only kid. But put him at tight end and I think you have a dynamic playmaker.

With the success of the tight end position at the college and NFL level, I would like to see how much of a game changer it could be at Mentor. It helps to have an athletic 6’3 or so kid that can slide into that position. Recruit a basketball player if needed. I know a kid like Ian Iopollo is a basketball only kid. But put him at tight end and I think you have a dynamic playmaker.
You have one of the largest schools in the state of Ohio (top 15) you should be able to find many of those kids. Should be more than capable of filling every position on both sides of the ball.

With the way the offense likes to spread the defense out and get the ball to their playmakers, a tall, athletic TE could be a nice mismatch over the middle of the field. I don't know who Mentor has coming through the system that might be able to fit that role, but that would be an interesting wrinkle that we haven't seen. It could also potentially help in terms of the ground game adding an extra blocker, or for running RPO's.

When was the last time a Mentor offense played regularly with a TE? 2010?

You have one of the largest schools in the state of Ohio (top 15) you should be able to find many of those kids. Should be more than capable of filling every position on both sides of the ball.
Considering Mentor hasn't played with a TE in years, it is a position that they haven't really developed in their youth and middle school programs. Sure, someone should have the right skillset with the size of the school, but many years the guys who may be able to play TE become WR's or DE's.

Considering Mentor hasn't played with a TE in years, it is a position that they haven't really developed in their youth and middle school programs. Sure, someone should have the right skillset with the size of the school, but many years the guys who may be able to play TE become WR's or DE's.
What about LB’s and DB’s those always seem to be lacking come crunch time at Mentor. Is it an issue of playing guys only on one side of the ball?

What about LB’s and DB’s those always seem to be lacking come crunch time at Mentor. Is it an issue of playing guys only on one side of the ball?
Don't you have better things to do than to troll a high school team made up of 15-18 year old kids online? You need to get a life.

Brandon Fritts could have played TE at Mentor. They played him at WR because they were committed to the spread.
You can't argue with the results of using Fritts on the outside at all. But I think if he were at a school that utilized a tight end, Fritts would have been dominant in that position too.

An article about Mentor/Riverside in Week 3. This is the first Lake County team to schedule Mentor since South back in 2010. Before that, I think Mentor played North in the early 2000’s and then Lake Catholic in the 90s.

It is no surprise that Riverside was the one reaching out. Good for them. They have a heckuva schedule overall.

Mentor’s Week 2 clash at St Ignatius this year will be on a Friday at First Energy Stadium. Mentor hasn’t played at the Browns’ stadium since 2010 I believe (a 35-28 loss to a an eventual 15-0 St Eds juggernaut). Other games played there were in 2006 as they ended up playing Glenville twice at Browns Stadium.

An article about Mentor/Riverside in Week 3. This is the first Lake County team to schedule Mentor since South back in 2010. Before that, I think Mentor played North in the early 2000’s and then Lake Catholic in the 90s.

It is no surprise that Riverside was the one reaching out. Good for them. They have a heckuva schedule overall.

Mentor’s Week 2 clash at St Ignatius this year will be on a Friday at First Energy Stadium. Mentor hasn’t played at the Browns’ stadium since 2010 I believe (a 35-28 loss to a an eventual 15-0 St Eds juggernaut). Other games played there were in 2006 as they ended up playing Glenville twice at Browns Stadium.
There aren't many lake county teams who are even close to our size. Chardon from nearby scheduled in 03 and 04 from Geauga county too.

Mentor vs Ignatius at Browns stadium is fun

Last edited:
Mentor’s Week 2 clash at St Ignatius this year will be on a Friday at First Energy Stadium. Mentor hasn’t played at the Browns’ stadium since 2010 I believe (a 35-28 loss to a an eventual 15-0 St Eds juggernaut).
Trubisky's breakout game. He was rotating at QB with Colton Wallace and Eds jumped out to a 35-14 lead. Trubisky helped close the gap to 35-28 with Wallace as his main target at WR. Mentor got the ball to the Eds 5 yard line and looked poised to tie the game until Eds stripped the ball and recovered the fumble.

That Mentor - South game back in 2010 was an awesome game. If I recall Mentor won 48-47 (or something like that). Mentor with a comeback win.

I saw that too. I figured it's just a system error or user error. Who knows. I don't expect an opponent this late in the game.
I agree. The only way Mentor is getting a game is if a Week 5 game gets cancelled, leaving a potential opponent looking for a match.

I’m hoping that Mentor is already reaching out about 2023. Week 1 is the only open week. Should be reasonable to fill if you started already.

I agree. The only way Mentor is getting a game is if a Week 5 game gets cancelled, leaving a potential opponent looking for a match.

I’m hoping that Mentor is already reaching out about 2023. Week 1 is the only open week. Should be reasonable to fill if you started already.
You'd hope so on 2023. With Cleveland HTS and Shaker Hts joining the gcc, it helps scheduling.

Unless something falls through with Ohio schools or we pay some jobber out of state team , wed have 9 games for this year .

While listening to Talk Back Fans interview Gray, QB coach Owen Wilson, and a few Mentor players, here are some nuggets they shared:

- Neither players nor coaches outright named a QB starter. Both names were mentioned. Scotty Fox sounds like he will be involved in the offense at QB, and very likely a/the starter. Gray said "we have two QB's" and are going to see both Fox and Snow share reps to start the season.
- Expect the offense to utilize a blocking FB/TE. Waite called him a “Y back.” He listed Henry Schenk as the player to be in that position that we saw Burkholder play a bit last year. Schenk is a junior that saw some time at that linebacker as a sophomore last season.
- Offensive line includes senior tackles McClure and Tony Pastore, junior Jack O'Neill (center), while three (senior Joey Jonke, senior Joey Bakos, junior Jared Hines) vie for the two spots at guard. McClure says the line isn't very big, so they will need to play fast.
- Starting RB Mitchell Waite is very excited about the defense. Mentions the defense will use multiple packages (sets with three or four linebackers). Orosz, Burkholder, and Jack Gedulig are seniors that started at LB last season. New corners include junior Kellen Graham and senior Chase Hall.
- Receivers include projected senior starters Jordan Stapleton, Nick Jares, and Holden Cerny. Sounds like we will see a lot more three receiver looks.
- Week 5 open date is still being looked at to fill at the moment of this recording (which was last week)

While listening to Talk Back Fans interview Gray, QB coach Owen Wilson, and a few Mentor players, here are some nuggets they shared:

- Neither players nor coaches outright named a QB starter. Both names were mentioned. Scotty Fox sounds like he will be involved in the offense at QB, and very likely a/the starter. Gray said "we have two QB's" and are going to see both Fox and Snow share reps to start the season.
- Expect the offense to utilize a blocking FB/TE. Waite called him a “Y back.” He listed Henry Schenk as the player to be in that position that we saw Burkholder play a bit last year. Schenk is a junior that saw some time at that linebacker as a sophomore last season.
- Offensive line includes senior tackles McClure and Tony Pastore, junior Jack O'Neill (center), while three (senior Joey Jonke, senior Joey Bakos, junior Jared Hines) vie for the two spots at guard. McClure says the line isn't very big, so they will need to play fast.
- Starting RB Mitchell Waite is very excited about the defense. Mentions the defense will use multiple packages (sets with three or four linebackers). Orosz, Burkholder, and Jack Gedulig are seniors that started at LB last season. New corners include junior Kellen Graham and senior Chase Hall.
- Receivers include projected senior starters Jordan Stapleton, Nick Jares, and Holden Cerny. Sounds like we will see a lot more three receiver looks.
- Week 5 open date is still being looked at to fill at the moment of this recording (which was last week)
There is a lot of confidence coming from these kids and the coaches and that's fantastic. It sounds like they're working hard on the field and doing the right things to get their minds right too.

The defense does sound solid anchored by a tough line backer crew.

Interesting that after a few threads about Mentor adding a TE(above) there was mention of that addition to the offense. Hopefully the position adds some production while also offering some blocking for the backs and protection for Snow.

Sounds like the O line just needs to be finalized and they're ready to roll.