Mentor Cardinals Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 5 against Football North (Canada) is the next preview. They are a tough one to preview as pieces come and go so routinely at a school like this. They gave Mentor a tough fight in the first half of a game in 2019 that had to be called due to bad storms. That same season they upset St Ignatius. This is not a team to take lightly. But still, it is one Mentor can and should win. even though talent for talent the neighbors to the north have an overwhelming advantage.

Beginning the second half of the season, Mentor will start GCC play. First up is Brunswick. A program coming off back-to-back seasons with winning records...a huge improvement over most of what was seen for most of the last 10-12 years. Brunswick will have a hard time duplicating last year's success (highlighted by wins over Medina and McKinley) with the graduation of much of their core from the 2019/20 seasons.

Up next is previewing possibly the biggest regular season game of the season considering the expectations of Medina, the stakes of the league title, and positioning in Region 1. I haven't looked forward to a regular season league opponent like this in quite some time. This is the first time since 2014 (Hudson's Mitch Guadagni) where the opposing league QB had a clear advantage over Mentor's QB. Should be a fun one.

Up next is previewing possibly the biggest regular season game of the season considering the expectations of Medina, the stakes of the league title, and positioning in Region 1. I haven't looked forward to a regular season league opponent like this in quite some time. This is the first time since 2014 (Hudson's Mitch Guadagni) where the opposing league QB had a clear advantage over Mentor's QB. Should be a fun one.

Was really impressed with Allar last year. Big kid who can make all the throws.

Guadagni was good but I never saw a high D1 guy. Allar is different.

I'm still torn trying to decide which game to go to week 2. Avon vs. Medina or Ignatius vs. Mentor.

I'm still torn trying to decide which game to go to week 2. Avon vs. Medina or Ignatius vs. Mentor.
Can't go wrong either way. You can base it on how many times (if at all) you plan to see these teams the rest of the season.

I think both games will be really competitive.

Was really impressed with Allar last year. Big kid who can make all the throws.

Guadagni was good but I never saw a high D1 guy. Allar is different.
I have only seen Allar play against Mentor. He played a decent first half against Mentor in the regular season before an injury kept him out of the second half. In the playoff game, Allar had some big throws and moments - but a ton of incompletions too. It wasn't one of his cleanest games. The physical tools are there. I thought Guadagni had a better all around game against Mentor in 2014 than Allar did last year. But that was just Allar's junior season. Mentor bottled up Guadagni much better in 2013 before he exploded for two big wins over the Cards as a senior. Guadagni was a better athlete/runner too, which made him incredibly effective at the HS level. Allar projects better in college with his arm, but Gaudagni was a really great HS player.

It is very unusual for Mentor to go into a game (especially in league play) knowing that the QB position will not be an advantage for them. My point was that the last time it happened was Guadagni, not necessarily to compare the two QB's. Even against PC in 2017 and 2019, you could argue that Crenshaw was a super tough QB to play. But was he, all on his own, a better QB at the time than senior Tatarunas or junior Kipp? I don't necessarily think so. In this case, Allar is the clearly the superior QB to Snow.

Last edited:

Great preview as always. This will be the game (and season in general) I've been saying for 4-5 years is the Bees' chance to prove they will be among the elite.

I'll critique one thing. Yeah, record against the Big 3 (Mentor, Euclid, Solon) hasn't been good. But they have won 3 of the last 4 against Solon. Its the other two they need to figure out.

Perhaps my opinion on Allar is skewed.

He lit up Ignatius for 300 yards in the first half alone of the playoff game.

However that is something that has happened with disturbing regularity. I have been watching Mentor WRs have career games running absolutely wide open against the Cats.

Same with Medina in the lone meeting.

I have only seen Allar play against Mentor. He played a decent first half against Mentor in the regular season before an injury kept him out of the second half. In the playoff game, Allar had some big throws and moments - but a ton of incompletions too. It wasn't one of his cleanest games. The physical tools are there. I thought Guadagni had a better all around game against Mentor in 2014 than Allar did last year. But that was just Allar's junior season. Mentor bottled up Guadagni much better in 2013 before he exploded for two big wins over the Cards as a senior. Guadagni was a better athlete/runner too, which made him incredibly effective at the HS level. Allar projects better in college with his arm, but Gaudagni was a really great HS player.

It is very unusual for Mentor to go into a game (especially in league play) knowing that the QB position will not be an advantage for them. My point was that the last time it happened was Guadagni, not necessarily to compare the two QB's. Even against PC in 2017 and 2019, you could argue that Crenshaw was a super tough QB to play. But was he, all on his own, a better QB at the time than senior Tatarunas or junior Kipp? I don't necessarily think so. In this case, Allar is the clearly the superior QB to Snow.
I had the opportunity to see Allar play against St. Ed's, Ignatius, and Mentor. Against Ed's and Ignatius he was spectacular. In complete control, played liked a future D1 star. I believe that that 2 game back to back playoff gauntlet wore Medina and Allar down. He and they did NOT look or play the same against Mentor that they did against the 2 Saints. Some of it was the gauntlet, some of it was Mentor won the line of scrimmages. But that too was worn down from the gauntlet. Bottom line, Allar is a beast and worth the price of admission.

I had the opportunity to see Allar play against St. Ed's, Ignatius, and Mentor. Against Ed's and Ignatius he was spectacular. In complete control, played liked a future D1 star. I believe that that 2 game back to back playoff gauntlet wore Medina and Allar down. He and they did NOT look or play the same against Mentor that they did against the 2 Saints. Some of it was the gauntlet, some of it was Mentor won the line of scrimmages. But that too was worn down from the gauntlet. Bottom line, Allar is a beast and worth the price of admission.
I have seen Mentor beat Ignatius and Eds in back-to-back weeks of the playoffs three times (2012, 2013, 2017). In each instance, they really dropped off after those wins. I think the mental fatigue is as much of a factor as physical. For schools like Mentor and Medina, beating the Saints is such a huge accomplishment. To do it in back to back weeks is a mental high that is tough to continue building momentum. I know that Mentor didn't see Medina's best in the regional final. The Cards steamrolled them. Mentor had a much easier path to get to the regional final and it showed. Once you get to the playoffs, a path of lesser resistance is not a bad thing.

I expect Allar to be at his best this season against Mentor. And if Medina's regular season is as good as it should be, the Bees won't have to worry about having to beat all three of the big boys in Region 1 in the playoffs. Maybe two, but not all three.

I have seen Mentor beat Ignatius and Eds in back-to-back weeks of the playoffs three times (2012, 2013, 2017). In each instance, they really dropped off after those wins. I think the mental fatigue is as much of a factor as physical. For schools like Mentor and Medina, beating the Saints is such a huge accomplishment. To do it in back to back weeks is a mental high that is tough to continue building momentum. I know that Mentor didn't see Medina's best in the regional final. The Cards steamrolled them. Mentor had a much easier path to get to the regional final and it showed. Once you get to the playoffs, a path of lesser resistance is not a bad thing.

I expect Allar to be at his best this season against Mentor. And if Medina's regular season is as good as it should be, the Bees won't have to worry about having to beat all three of the big boys in Region 1 in the playoffs. Maybe two, but not all three.
I agree with everything you wrote. But the Harbin points are goofy. They are not a true indication of a true 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc... in a normal year of 8 team making the playoffs. The number 7 team could be one of the big 3. And you would be better being a lower seed. It's not a true seed from best to worst. But at least it is a system and much better than what PA does.

I agree with everything you wrote. But the Harbin points are goofy. They are not a true indication of a true 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc... in a normal year of 8 team making the playoffs. The number 7 team could be one of the big 3. And you would be better being a lower seed. It's not a true seed from best to worst. But at least it is a system and much better than what PA does.
While you could still get screwed and have to play a team like St Ignatius a round or two earlier than you should, a team like Mentor (and Medina) still have a good amount on the line in their big regular season matchups. Getting in the top four of the harbin rankings means you have the opportunity to play two playoff games at home. No matter the opponent, that is still a nice perk to aim for. If Mentor can win 8 games, I think they have a really good chance at finishing in the top four. At 9-1, it is a lock.

I wish the OHSAA would allow for some combination of football harbin ranking and coaches input on the bracket placement like other sports. Put #9-16 on the bracket as the visiting teams. Start with the #1 seed and allow them to place themselves wherever they want on the bracket. Then go to #2, #3, etc. until #8 is left with the final selection. That would give a true advantage to being one of the top seeds. This could easily be done on the Sunday after the final regular season game just like "selection Sunday" in other sports.

I wish the OHSAA would allow for some combination of football harbin ranking and coaches input on the bracket placement like other sports. Put #9-16 on the bracket as the visiting teams. Start with the #1 seed and allow them to place themselves wherever they want on the bracket. Then go to #2, #3, etc. until #8 is left with the final selection. That would give a true advantage to being one of the top seeds. This could easily be done on the Sunday after the final regular season game just like "selection Sunday" in other sports.

This would be a much better system, even with the weird gamesmanship with voting you see in some of the other sports.

While you could still get screwed and have to play a team like St Ignatius a round or two earlier than you should, a team like Mentor (and Medina) still have a good amount on the line in their big regular season matchups. Getting in the top four of the harbin rankings means you have the opportunity to play two playoff games at home. No matter the opponent, that is still a nice perk to aim for. If Mentor can win 8 games, I think they have a really good chance at finishing in the top four. At 9-1, it is a lock.

Again a thumbs up to your ideas and suggestions. What will be the best place (online) to buy tickets for any Mentor games?

Again a thumbs up to your ideas and suggestions. What will be the best place (online) to buy tickets for any Mentor games?
https://mentorathletics.com/mentor-athletics-box-office/

No cash sales at the gates this season. Tickets will be available at the gate via credit card only. Tickets will also be available in advance on the ticketing website. Again at the gate only season passes, credit cards and presale tickets will be accepted at the gate.

Season passes will be available prior to the first game of the season, after that you will need to purchase individual tickets for each game. Season passes go on sale August 9th.

No cash sales at the gates this season. Tickets will be available at the gate via credit card only. Tickets will also be available in advance on the ticketing website. Again at the gate only season passes, credit cards and presale tickets will be accepted at the gate.

Season passes will be available prior to the first game of the season, after that you will need to purchase individual tickets for each game. Season passes go on sale August 9th.
Is the above link the link I use to buy individual game tickets as the season goes along and I choose to go to a game that week?

I wasn’t there. I watched some clips on the News Herald Preps Twitter page. Shared some thoughts too. They are Mentor/Kenston centric due to their coverage. Uploaded a couple clips of some Snow touchdown passes, including a bomb to Evan Harper.

I’m sure all three teams got some good work today.

Anyone have a report of the scrimmage today with Warren Harding, Kenston, and Mentor?

An actual Harding-Mentor game would be interesting. I think that both somewhat limited themselves today since wasn't designed to showcase the quarterbacks' scrambling abilities. I wanted to see the two go at it more. In the 10-play format, Harding had two deep passes that would've resulted in red zone possessions, but both were called back for holding. I think that both teams know where they'd want to go in a real game, but the work was spread around today. Better to get all of these kids ready now than later. As a Harding fan, outside of the two penalties, I was very pleased with what I saw.

Kenston didn't look too bad in their red zone possessions either. That said, when Mentor's offense had the ball against them, I swear that I looked away for a split second and when I turned back around, Snow had connected with one of his wideouts on an 80-yard bomb.

An actual Harding-Mentor game would be interesting. I think that both somewhat limited themselves today since wasn't designed to showcase the quarterbacks' scrambling abilities. I wanted to see the two go at it more. In the 10-play format, Harding had two deep passes that would've resulted in red zone possessions, but both were called back for holding. I think that both teams know where they'd want to go in a real game, but the work was spread around today. Better to get all of these kids ready now than later. As a Harding fan, outside of the two penalties, I was very pleased with what I saw.

Kenston didn't look too bad in their red zone possessions either. That said, when Mentor's offense had the ball against them, I swear that I looked away for a split second and when I turned back around, Snow had connected with one of his wideouts on an 80-yard bomb.
Thanks for the info, Worm.

Football season passes are now on sale. Reserved seating on the home side of the field costs $50 plus fees for 5 varsity games. General Admission season passes are $38 plus fees for 5 varsity games. GA seating is at the southeast end of the home bleachers or anywhere on the visitor's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.